Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My suggestions for Sorcerer buff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Default My suggestions for Sorcerer buff.

As many of you know, Sorcerers are easily the weakest class in PvP. The current issues with Sorcerers are their overall squishiness, lack of damage while not being able to support enough to make up for it, and a somewhat weak skill set in general. Here are my suggestions to improve many of the Sorc's skills.

1] Arcane Shield

While being a very strong ability to soak up a lot of damage and granting invulnerability, and allowing Sorcerers to be more aggressive, it has one flaw, and as many people before me have noted, it is the Displacement Wave (knockback) upgrade. This upgrade is, in general, useless because Sorcerers need to shield before entering a lot of fights so they don't die, meaning no one is going to be knocked back (and this is true for PvE as well). As many people in the community have suggested, this should be replaced with an upgrade providing immunity to all movement-impairing effects for a couple seconds (perhaps 5). Aside from this, there aren't too many other issues with it, except possibly increasing the damage reduction a little bit.

2] Fireball

This is a Sorcerer's bread and butter AoE skill. It does halfway decent damage, stuns, and applies a bit of damage over time. As of right now, I don't have any suggestions for it except to increase its base damage slightly. The Scorch (hit reduction) upgrade is a bit sketchy, but it does have its uses in PvE.

3] Frost Bolt

Now before you read this, I am NOT going to suggest a stun. There's already enough stunning being done in PvP, and to add another would, IMO, make the PvP arenas less interesting, less fun, and more stuck in one place for a long period of time. Ice's slow should be increased to a 70% snare on charged attacks, decaying by 10% every 0.5 seconds and ending after 3 seconds. This will really improve Sorcerer's effects in clashes, being able to cripple enemy rogues while not being too overpowered. The Arctic Shatter upgrade (I believe this is the correct one) is completely useless in PvP, and has little to no use in PvE as well. It should be replaced, but I have no ideas for this at the moment.

4] Curse

Curse is already a very good skill - in my opinion the best support skill - that a Sorcerer has at the moment, however I have an issue with one of the upgrades. As of now, rogues cannot be debuffed damage unless it is more than 10%, rendering the Words of Weakness upgrade useless. It will only reduce the damage of Warriors and other Sorcerers, the latter of which will generally not attack anyway because of the high damage it causes when using Fireball or Frost Bolt with the damage over time upgrades. Either increase the debuff % in the upgrade to 15-20% or we can introduce a silence (unable to use skills) that lasts a short time. I'm just not sure if this would be overpowered the way the game is played right now.

5] Lightning Strike

Lightning is the hardest hitting skill of Sorcerers. The only issue is 2 of the upgrades on it - the one that applies the AoE effect, and the stun upgrade. The stun upgrade is pretty useless, since you have to charge it for it to work, and Fireball always stuns (and gives stun immunity), making the upgrade a bit redundant. I am not sure at the moment what to replace it with, perhaps an armor debuff. The AoE upgrade is useless in PvP, however can be useful for fast runs in PvE. My suggestion is to allow lightning to have a 25% chance on charged attack (does not require a mob to be killed by it) to attack all enemies, however its damage should be reduced by 50% if more than 1 enemy is hit.

6] Lifegiver

Lifegiver is a decent skill in PvP, but the mana and health over time upgrades need to go. They heal so little that I can't even see why they exist. My suggestion: one should be replaced with a movement speed boost of 25% (to all allies) for 3 seconds after use, and the other a 50% armor bonus (to the caster only) for 2 seconds. Many Sorcerers don't use heal because they will die immediately after using it. The movement speed helps to kite warriors and be more mobile in clashes, and the armor buff (applied only to the caster so it isn't overpowered) helps so that you don't get 1 shot immediately after healing.

7] Gale Force

Gale is actually a very strong skill, and is very overlooked by many Sorcerers. My only suggestion to this is that the dash does not make you sort of stuck when you are near the end of it.

I have to say gale is a nice skill BUT 1 thing should be changed: 50% armor buff WITHOUT the need to charge it!

Why? When i play, its the same if 1on1 or clash, i want the armor buff to happen but i also dont want to dash forward all the time! For now when i dont charge gale i dont dash forward and i dont get armor buff. When i charge it i get both but i dont want the "dash forward". So when "50% armor buff" upgrade happens when charged and non charged it would be great !

It should be this way:

uncharged gale = 50% armor buff + 25% speed increase
    charged gale = 50 % armor buff + dash forward

edit: Since rogues have shield and warriors have curse: Replace the 2 useless heal upgrades with a mini-juggernaut and/or VB.
    Thanks to Robhawk for the suggestion.

8] Time Shift

No changes needed.

These suggestions are meant to improve the PvP mechanics of Sorcerers. The numbers and percentages are meant only as a suggestion and tool of reference, and they are not concrete. Also, the suggestions try to maintain Sorcerer's performance in PvE as well.

If you have any other suggestions or would like to constructively criticize my suggestions, please leave a reply! It will help us all.
    Last edited by UndeadJudge; 01-23-2015 at 10:50 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UndeadJudge For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Your forgot all this:
    Quote Originally Posted by debitmandiri View Post
    Yap....mage must can 1 shot...must can tank...mage must can stun lock...mage must have 15sec invulnerability and stun/freeze immunity for 30secs...THATS THE WAY OF BALANCE..
    I DO AGREE !
    Besides that, i agree with everything you said. Although i do think mages should get an overall hp and armor boost which should make them somewhat capable without their shield. Perhaps reduce shield's damage reduction, give it stun immunity, and really increase mage's hp and armor making up for the shields reduced damage reduction. That way mages are not totally dependant on shield, also mages can seek out other new strategies without always having to use shield and take up a skill slot. Some mages will be more tanky so of course shield will still be popular. Im just kinda sick of shield always taking up a skill slot, mages shouldn't be so dependent on one skill.
    Proud guild master of <Mage Army>

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Mages frost bolt couldnt slow for 3 seconds because the cooldown is so short

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowz View Post
    Yea cool down is 3 seconds that would make mages ice skill pretty op huh? Well now some other classes will know how it feels to be called food

Arrowz does have a point however. Maybe slowdown last 2.5 seconds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Default My suggestions for Sorcerer buff.

Again, I said the numbers are just there to better implant the idea. It's trivial, really.

Even so, it decays fast, so you'll only be slowed heavily for part of the time. And besides, there already are pets (Blinky) that permaslow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by UndeadJudge; 01-20-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadJudge View Post
    Again, I said the numbers are just there to better implant the idea. It's trivial, really.

Even so, it decays fast, so you'll only be slowed heavily for part of the time. And besides, there already are pets (Blinky) that permaslow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Valid point. Personally though i think the biggest thing that needs to happen with mages is buffing their defensive capabilities and survivability rather than offensive capabilities. Everyone knows the regen upgrades on lifegiver are absolutely pathetic because they are still scaled for lvl 16. They should be buffed to be like the rogue heal over time on combat medic so that its actually something substantial. Additionally, i think once mage shield goes down it should give a 25% flat dmg reduction for the next 5 seconds and maybe reduce shield cooldown another second or two. These alone will make mages a lot more balanced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Valid point. Personally though i think the biggest thing that needs to happen with mages is buffing their defensive capabilities and survivability rather than offensive capabilities. Everyone knows the regen upgrades on lifegiver are absolutely pathetic because they are still scaled for lvl 16. They should be buffed to be like the rogue heal over time on combat medic so that its actually something substantial. Additionally, i think once mage shield goes down it should give a 25% flat dmg reduction for the next 5 seconds and maybe reduce shield cooldown another second or two. These alone will make mages a lot more balanced
    Yea my point exactly from the other post. Mages are so squishy without their shield they need a permanent hp, armor or damage reduction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Perhaps defensive capabilities are an issue, but realistically, Sorcerers aren't going to have as much armor, and in some cases HP, as rogues do. The point of the suggestion was to turn Sorcerers into an aggressive support. Buffing only defensive capabilities won't really do much. Sure, sorcs can survive longer and take less damage, but they won't be able to do too much in turn. For the nature of the Sorcerer class, I think that's the issue here. They should be able to cripple and aid your team to attack priority targets, not sit there and throw Fireballs and Curses, hoping that you're doing some damage and helping your team.

Shield could use a buff, but with the suggested lifegiver changes, Sorcerers are probably going to be able to survive long enough as they should. A heal over time like your suggestion would help a bit, but it's a bit redundant since warriors already are healing your party.

Then again, we never know. All of this is just on paper, no one knows how it'll play out in live content. But if Sorcerers are able to use 5 skills, and the debuff system could finally be fixed, they would be much more prominent in clashes than now.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

In all honesty, mages are so squishy, that my tactic for fighting all but the strongest (arcane ring) is pretty much charge razor for srun immunity, set my packs up, and spam my skills blindly till their shield breaks. Speaking as an elond bow rogue with about 500 DMG in PvP room, this isore than sufficient to drop even mages using mythic amulet. Usually they are dead in 2-3 combos and aimed is not even charged.

Now I have never played as a mage, so I don't know how long the shield can absorb damage if enough damage to break it is not dealt, but I would suggest for sts to make it impossible to break shield for abt 50-70% of the time it lasts. Maybe this coukd replace the knock back upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofninjas View Post
    In all honesty, mages are so squishy, that my tactic for fighting all but the strongest (arcane ring) is pretty much charge razor for srun immunity, set my packs up, and spam my skills blindly till their shield breaks. Speaking as an elond bow rogue with about 500 DMG in PvP room, this isore than sufficient to drop even mages using mythic amulet. Usually they are dead in 2-3 combos and aimed is not even charged.

Now I have never played as a mage, so I don't know how long the shield can absorb damage if enough damage to break it is not dealt, but I would suggest for sts to make it impossible to break shield for abt 50-70% of the time it lasts. Maybe this coukd replace the knock back upgrade.
    If rogues are not powerful enough to break the shield they can always stun or move out of range until the mage's shield runs out. Mages are toast without their shield so i still think something needs to happen to make their survivability without shield increase

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Primeblades View Post
    If rogues are not powerful enough to break the shield they can always stun or move out of range until the mage's shield runs out. Mages are toast without their shield so i still think something needs to happen to make their survivability without shield increase
    My point is that rogues are almost always strong enough to break mages shield at same gear level and sometimes even on lower gear levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

i really feel in the need of new support skill for mage caus the heal skill seems useless ik after heal it isnt long before rouge gonna kill me and in pve we obvio have pots mage heal is just important to restore rouges mana in 5vs5 but with new pets giving such good mana regen that skill seems useless as well so in pvp i am basically left with 3skill to use light curse shield if i go with fire its cooldown seems forever ice useless in pvp clock useless if i use gale in clashes i end up missing tank heal and therefore die so i really think we need a new support skill
    Or remove the health and mana over time upgrade and gives us something like jugg(remove impairment effect and self heal if health goes below 25%)these are my suggestions ty.

siddhantsingh<turbo>(lvl41mage)
    lukepvp(retired)(lvl25tank)
    sidpvp<nvm>(lvl15mage)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Hence what i proposed. 25 percent dmg reduction after shield goes doen and a significant heal over time on lifegiver would do just that

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowz For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Hence what i proposed. 25 percent dmg reduction after shield goes doen and a significant heal over time on lifegiver would do just that
    Heal over time makes sense. 25% dmg reduction idk about that. Maybe just increase a mage's durability overall

Robhawk

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadJudge View Post
    7] Gale Force
    Gale is actually a very strong skill, and is very overlooked by many Sorcerers. My only suggestion to this is that the dash does not make you sort of stuck when you are near the end of it.
    I have to say gale is a nice skill BUT 1 thing should be changed: 50% armor buff WITHOUT the need to charge it!

Why? When i play, its the same if 1on1 or clash, i want the armor buff to happen but i also dont want to dash forward all the time! For now when i dont charge gale i dont dash forward and i dont get armor buff. When i charge it i get both but i dont want the "dash forward". So when "50% armor buff" upgrade happens when charged and non charged it would be great !

It should be this way:

edit: Since rogues have shield and warriors have curse: Replace the 2 useless heal upgrades with a mini-juggernaut and/or VB.
    Last edited by Robhawk; 01-23-2015 at 08:00 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robhawk For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

the problem with gale is if i use it in 5vs5 i end up in opponent territory and a lucky crit from rouge and i am dead zzz

sidpvp<nvm>(lvl15mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by siddhant View Post
    the problem with gale is if i use it in 5vs5 i end up in opponent territory and a lucky crit from rouge and i am dead zzz
    Im currently using gale on two pvp accounts right now. I never charge my gale in 5v5 unless my teamates are dead and i need to regroup. Gale is a great skill for 1v1. All it takes is a tap of the gale and the enemy is stunned. Gale is great for 1v1 especialy against other mages with curse. My current combo with gale is charge light, then right after releasing light i tap gale, spam autos, use blinky's aa, tap light again (by this time the enemy has recovered from stun), then i use charged gale and dash forward waiting till the enemie's shield and curse have worn off. Thats when i go back in for the kill gale is a great skill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Im currently using gale on two pvp accounts right now. I never charge my gale in 5v5 unless my teamates are dead and i need to regroup. Gale is a great skill for 1v1. All it takes is a tap of the gale and the enemy is stunned. Gale is great for 1v1 especialy against other mages with curse. My current combo with gale is charge light, then right after releasing light i tap gale, spam autos, use blinky's aa, tap light again (by this time the enemy has recovered from stun), then i use charged gale and dash forward waiting till the enemie's shield and curse have worn off. Thats when i go back in for the kill gale is a great skill
    Well for vs i always prefer light curse shield and heal and it works awesome for me

sidpvp<nvm>(lvl15mage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robhawk View Post

It should be this way:

I forgot completely about how you have to charge it for this to work, and I totally agree. Not to mention, sorcerers will be able to have an almost permanent armor bonus if this works.

All we need now is for STS to fix the debuff system...then all of these buffs will be a lot more useful.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to UndeadJudge For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Its already difficult enough to kill a mage as is... the ideal mage will charge shield, stun you with fireball, and kill you with lightning and/or slag stunlock.. its gg. You wont even get a chance to move, I dont see why mages are asking for a buff.