Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baelfort Sewers Bear Play Guide (with screenshots).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I'll try to make the video, but I don't know of any apps that take a video directly from the iPad/iPhone.

I don't think it'll be clear if I make one from another device taking a video.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Oh my gosh! Epic walkthrough!

As a dual-spec bear and geard up with a Sentinel + Shotgun set, how would you change my gameplan? Up until now, I've been grinding CTK and taking advantage of the shotgun's range to pick off any stragglers from my Beckon + Stomp combo. It's worked extremely well, IMO. I've also played a handful of Bandit Hideout runs with the same set up and tactics with decent success. But I stand to improve, of course!

Given that my defences are obviously squishier than a full strength bear, what would you recommend I should change up from your prescribed tactics (if any)?
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Thank you!

Im currently a dual spec bear too, so I can relate. I only tend to go on my Dex gear on two occasions, 1. I'm the second bear in the group and the first one can tank, 2. Even if I'm the only bear, but I can see my group is fast enough and keeps up.

The first one is simple since I just want to put out more damage. I usually do this or switch to my bird. Since when i go dex, I'm all out damage, I can sometimes compare to a birds Dps.

The second is a bit harder to decide on, however. I rarely do this since my dex setup is really soft. I only do this when the group is able to take out entire mobs with just my one cycle (or beckon combo) so I don't have to take another round of attacks from mobs while they are set up. I usually only go dex, even if I'm the only bear, with a full group of friends; for randoms I stay Str.

So all in all, I'd suggest to use str with a group until you're confident that another bear could do the tanking, or the group kills fast enough to afford not to have to use str gear. If a 3 bird and 2 mage group is an ideal and fastest group, imagine changing one bird to a bear with comparable dps. That's very good, IMO.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Thank you!

Im currently a dual spec bear too, so I can relate. I only tend to go on my Dex gear on two occasions, 1. I'm the second bear in the group and the first one can tank, 2. Even if I'm the only bear, but I can see my group is fast enough and keeps up.

The first one is simple since I just want to put out more damage. I usually do this or switch to my bird. Since when i go dex, I'm all out damage, I can sometimes compare to a birds Dps.

The second is a bit harder to decide on, however. I rarely do this since my dex setup is really soft. I only do this when the group is able to take out entire mobs with just my one cycle (or beckon combo) so I don't have to take another round of attacks from mobs while they are set up. I usually only go dex, even if I'm the only bear, with a full group of friends; for randoms I stay Str.

So all in all, I'd suggest to use str with a group until you're confident that another bear could do the tanking, or the group kills fast enough to afford not to have to use str gear. If a 3 bird and 2 mage group is an ideal and fastest group, imagine changing one bird to a bear with comparable dps. That's very good, IMO.
    Well said. Time for me to polish up that dusty Rift set and stretch out my heal pot-spamming thumb! Throwing up a tank pot can't hurt either as I get used to things.

Thanks Ellyidol!
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The funny part of tanking is this: My party won't let me tank... Pure INT mages and Pure DEX birds always take the front -.-' I want to practice this guild with the party but i can't when they wont let me tank xD
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KaotiicxDream View Post
    The funny part of tanking is this: My party won't let me tank... Pure INT mages and Pure DEX birds always take the front -.-' I want to practice this guild with the party but i can't when they wont let me tank xD
    Ya happens to me too. The mages birds go ahead and die then they are like wheres the tank. Got frustrated with it. Now i jus walk ahead beckon the bunch giv dem a stomp and move ahead asap.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KaotiicxDream View Post
    Thats because we love charging in you'll have to play like Elly and try to be one step ahead at all times which is what he usually does when we are partied together.

Anyway Elly one suggestion - rename guide to "How to kick *** like me"

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Nice!

The only thing I noticed that was missing was in the "Tank Cycle" section:

This is where you normally yell, "LEEROOOYYY JENKINSSSSSS"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

@neko

Yup, there's nothing to lose just keeping a rift set in the inventory anyway. Might as well use the points for being dual spec too.

For those that can't tank, I think it's normal. Like Phys said, I just tend to run ahead of everyone even if mobs aren't dead just so I can set up the next group. I get why birds or mages like to rush in since I do the same on my bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Nice Job Elly, have many times have we run it exactly like that?? Anyhow, my two cents is that I always taunt then hellscream, just so hellscream affects as many mobs as possible since when you cast taunt they start towards you (theoretically). Not sure it makes that much of a difference though and there's also a thought that you trigger the ranged mobs to move away from you when taunting. Also, I always cast crushing blow, even though it has minimal effect, some is better then none and we have plenty of mana.

Also, about moving on before the mobs are dead. I think this is extremely important for a good bear to do to maximize your run timewise). You have to gauge when to move on depending on your parties performance. I have the map overlay enabled and am constantly watching the red triangles to make sure they are disappearing behind me so I can time my next grouping appropriately. In a good group, I basically never stop moving forward through the whole map with exception of the mini bosses. Can run the map and kill boss with pot still burning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Best I have done is till a little of goldies health (1/4th maybe) and the pot ran out. Also there should be some guide to those pesky mages. Freeze the targets when I am beckoning them lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lUp3 View Post
    Best I have done is till a little of goldies health (1/4th maybe) and the pot ran out. Also there should be some guide to those pesky mages. Freeze the targets when I am beckoning them lol.
    You're only as good as the rest in your group. You could set them up perfectly, but if they don't know how to kill them anyway, its gonna go to waste.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

yeah when the bear runs behind birds and mages, its his first bad mistake! I usually run first bcz i love fast games. I dont like to loose time killing single mobs. When they target u, they will run a long way with u, so u have enough time to kill em at the next crowd.
    f.e. in catacombs its possible to run like throught the map to boss.. not really needs breaks to kill enemys.. but good bear need, also mages and birds wich know what to do..
    - PL - Founder and proud C.O.T. officer
    RicciTS > DEX Bird L77 | Ricci > INT Mage L76 | XCarver> STR/DEX Bear L71
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riccits View Post
    yeah when the bear runs behind birds and mages, its his first bad mistake! I usually run first bcz i love fast games. I dont like to loose time killing single mobs. When they target u, they will run a long way with u, so u have enough time to kill em at the next crowd.
    f.e. in catacombs its possible to run like throught the map to boss.. not really needs breaks to kill enemys.. but good bear need, also mages and birds wich know what to do..
    Almost impossible to run through Cata without killing :P

I can barely run through the first intersection of mobs because of their attacks and the lag. Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Almost impossible to run through Cata without killing :P

I can barely run through the first intersection of mobs because of their attacks and the lag. Lol
    may i wrote a bit confusing. sure its need to kill enemys, i ment its ALMOST like a run trough
    yeah at the first intersection my iphone has problems to come behind LOL, theres may need a little break to kill all.

my meanig was more, dont attack single mobs, always group them, when after all combos 1-2 mobs still half alive, dont care it, just run and kill while running or at next crowd.
    and many more....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riccits View Post
    may i wrote a bit confusing. sure its need to kill enemys, i ment its ALMOST like a run trough
    yeah at the first intersection my iphone has problems to come behind LOL, theres may need a little break to kill all.

my meanig was more, dont attack single mobs, always group them, when after all combos 1-2 mobs still half alive, dont care it, just run and kill while running or at next crowd.
    Oh, my bad, misunderstood.

That's definitely right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hey Elly, was thinking it might be worth it to put in there some advice for mages and birds while playing with a bear. Like don't ice storm, root wall, blast shot (or even attack for that matter) until after the bear beckons. These actions generally make the beckon less effective and aggrod mobs sometime go towards whoever attacked it and aren't beckoned into the wall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

or let the bear go first! lol. it aint a race. We just walk in front cause thats how it should be. When will the birds and mages ever understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krazii View Post
    Hey Elly, was thinking it might be worth it to put in there some advice for mages and birds while playing with a bear. Like don't ice storm, root wall, blast shot (or even attack for that matter) until after the bear beckons. These actions generally make the beckon less effective and aggrod mobs sometime go towards whoever attacked it and aren't beckoned into the wall.
    True, let me add that

I just wouldn't want it to get too stretched out that it becomes a guide for all classes :P I only want to improve bears

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

this screams for a BS-fast-clearing-guide with viedo
    and many more....