Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Will you play pvp before grouping is released?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Will you play pvp before grouping is released?

Thats the question! Personally i'm pretty disappointed that pvp is being released before grouping. Pugs work in FPS games but in MMO's they are boarder line offensive. With deaths being recorded i rather not mess up my mains record because i have to deal with pugs.

My plan is to bring in my archer which i play the least until i get the hang of pvp. Also i'm waiting to see if you can quit out of pvp games without a negative effect (such as your player staying in game and getting killed). Sounds cheesy, but when it comes to MMORPG's.... there is nothing worse than a pug.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

2.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Kills and Deaths will not affect the record of your characters for now. I understand your desire for grouping, but you should be able to play PvP without it (you get to choose your side once you enter an instance).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Kills and Deaths will not affect the record of your characters for now. I understand your desire for grouping, but you should be able to play PvP without it (you get to choose your side once you enter an instance).
    First off kills and deaths not effecting the record at first is plain awesome. Thanks for telling me!

But if we get to choose our side before entering, does that mean we can stack the teams? Can I start a game, and then tell my Venom buddies to join, and have it be 5 vs 0 until someone enters the game and has to choose the other side? Is there no game enforced balance of the number of players on each side?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's good for now. It gets people to try it out without fear of being banged on by a Vented group. It also gets people mixing together so they can make new friends and check out their options before PvP matures and becomes standardized and semi-serious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A chance to get our feet wet first. Maybe to tweak PvP combat before official seasons and ladders come out. I can't wait!
    Syacoff - lvl 35 Archer - Alterra
    Sahdatay - lvl 35 Bowchantress - Alterra
    Thumbo - lvl 10 Bearzerker (Leaving him low on purpose. Wanna check out low lvl PvP too)

6.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

We will definitely be doing a ton of tweaking once it gets into your hands, and before we get a serious leaderboard in place. I am sure we will be releasing new rule-sets along the way too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dude. sweet. my PVE kill death ratio is horendous lol. totally not your fault i just did a lot of respecing and exploring once AS came out. was hoping to be able to do the same without tarnishing what i hope to be a great PVP ratio.

so thanks!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ah, this is very good news indeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

so does that mean that kills and deaths won't be recorded at all when pvp comes out?!

thats bad news
    Arcane Legends: Hyun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

It's a given some group/weapon combo will be way superior so it's ok as they tweak it. Hopefully it won't last long though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is AWESOME!!!!! NO Kill Tracking Until GROUPING
    Xanthia - Enchantress
    Guild Leader of Venom
    Guild Website - www.venom-guild.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

You can essentially try out every combo of weapons to find the best fit instead of dieing 50 times as you research

Glad I've got options in my equip!

13.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    But if we get to choose our side before entering, does that mean we can stack the teams? Can I start a game, and then tell my Venom buddies to join, and have it be 5 vs 0 until someone enters the game and has to choose the other side? Is there no game enforced balance of the number of players on each side?
    Yes, yes, and yes. We wanted players to be able to choose the side they wanted to play on. You can even switch sides if you want.

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    Yes, yes, and yes. We wanted players to be able to choose the side they wanted to play on. You can even switch sides if you want.

-ALS
    This may not make things always 100% fair and such... but that sort of thing can be addressed later.

As for now, this is perfect. You rock ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Azrael don't tell them our plans...LOL This is awesome.
    Xanthia - Enchantress
    Guild Leader of Venom
    Guild Website - www.venom-guild.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah can't wait to test PvP out.
    Brollus - Warrior - Alterra
    Guild Member of Venom
    http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    This may not make things always 100% fair and such...
    Good! They should never be totally fair. This is the biggest mistake some games make when they go pvp. you can NEVER please everyone. PVP is a sport. Athletes win sports because they are the smartest, fastest, strongest or a combination of those things. The ones who are incredible make it to the major leagues. Everyone else goes to the minors or plays in local pickup games.

Champions build reputations. People admire/fear them but either way they strive to reach a level where they can compete with them. They may never get there but they dream of it. This is a gigantic part of a successful community. Heroes to admire and Villans to hate. The community helps moderate this through social interaction.

Pretty quickly high end pvp teams will find no challenge or fun in taking on low lvl range or poorly geared groups. They will seek out the best and war for top team reputation. Pretty quickly douches who prey on the weak or depend on exploits/douchery will develop a bad rep. Either they get owned and rejected by true high end players or they mutate into super villains. Not everyone can become a master of the douche, only a few. God owe hate them but DAMN is it rewarding when we take them down. The average players will find themselves in a fairly even mix of kikin noob *** or getting theirs handed to them by full pink guilds. Now you have a real reason to gear up and LEARN from others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

What will the leaderboard be records of

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haroldiv View Post
    Pretty quickly high end pvp teams will find no challenge or fun in taking on low lvl range or poorly geared groups. They will seek out the best and war for top team reputation. Pretty quickly douches who prey on the weak or depend on exploits/douchery will develop a bad rep. Either they get owned and rejected by true high end players or they mutate into super villains. Not everyone can become a master of the douche, only a few. God we hate them but DAMN is it rewarding when we take them down. The average players will find themselves in a fairly even mix of kikin noob *** or getting theirs handed to them by full pink guilds. Now you have a real reason to gear up and LEARN from others.
    Loved this whole paragraph. Douchery is the funniest word I've heard in a long time. Preach it brother!
    Syacoff - lvl 35 Archer - Alterra
    Sahdatay - lvl 35 Bowchantress - Alterra
    Thumbo - lvl 10 Bearzerker (Leaving him low on purpose. Wanna check out low lvl PvP too)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It's good for now. It gets people to try it out without fear of being banged on by a Vented group. It also gets people mixing together so they can make new friends and check out their options before PvP matures and becomes standardized and semi-serious
    Well said. pug v pug can generate some unexpected and fun fights however!