Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding Class Balance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Default Regarding Class Balance.

Many threads on it, many inaccuracies repeated over and over, much fuss being made. The cause of this? The "issue" that sorcerers cannot stand on their own as well as the other two classes. Which, as explained below, actually makes sense if you look at the bigger picture:

-The warrior, as tank, is designed to be able to sustain large amounts of damage, meant for the whole party not just himself. So of course, on a 1v1 scenario that amount seems like a lot to go through, especially if the warrior uses his skills efficiently. Plus, he's equipped with a very effective single-target feebling skill.

-The rogue, with the lack of an actual defense skill and invulnerability period like the other two classes, is solely focused on huge amounts of damage dealt through critical hits. Again, it's only natural that if you are going to face off 1v1 with a class whose damage skills are all meant for dealing with one opponent at a time (and yours aren't), you'll be at a disadvantage.

-And then there's the sorcerer, whose majority of damage skills are designed for mass control and thus their efficiency versus a single target is reasonably limited. But instead he performs much better in group fights through the use of his AoE stun, AoE debuff and AoE healing for the whole party. Equipped with a multitude of stun and root effects that if timed, they can completely disable an opponent and kill him without even a scratch (the majority of which is reasonably nerfed in PvP to prevent cheesing other players like PvE mobs). And lastly, a shield which temporarily gives them the survivability of a warrior and a lighting skill that allows for a portion of rogue's high crit damage to be available.

Overall, I do not understand why sorcerer users expect to win in 1v1 situations squaring off against a warrior or rogue, more often and easier than they already do. AL was designed as a multiplayer game in both PvE and PvP aspects so all three classes were made to complement each other and that cannot be achieved if you flatten out all three of them to achieve "balance" - there are situations where each of the three are best and worst at. And it's not even as if it's currently impossible to beat a rogue or warrior 1v1, at least at L41 (since warrior skills' STR amounts for whatever reason did not scale, making twink warriors overpowered and barely sustaining warriors at endgame, but that's another topic).

The point is, PvP not being played in the way that it was meant to be played --TEAM Deathmatch, Capture the Flag(traditionally a TEAM vs TEAM game)-- is not sufficient enough of a reason to demand a buff on the sorcerer class in order to perform better on situations that they were NATURALLY designed to be weak against.

This is not based on an opinion, it's based on facts of the current game design. Constructive comments are welcome but the primary reasoning of making this thread was to make a point. That's all.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

THANKS !!!! Finally somebody understand it. Mages aren't fast killer with huge damage or tankers...they are supporters. And even without ice mages can support their team enough with fireball, stunning lightning, gale and curse...theyre made for gw. There they are just op.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artoholics For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

The person who post this obviously never played a real mmorpg with real pvp.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonut For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Artoholics For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leonut View Post
    Yes you indeed never did.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Appeltjes For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

+1 Been saying this all along. Class balance is the issue of making all classes important in their own ways in PVE and PVP. It's the same reason that tanks asking for rogue damage is silly. I do think some skill revision should be done as it relates to buff/debuff aspects in PVE for tanks. I also think mages shield could use a little tweaking. These changes should occur with a primary focus of mixed class parties working well together and a bit more survivability for mages.

For mages, as I've said before, an increase in invulnerability to 3 secs and replace knock back with stun/movement impairment immunity seems like a subtle but very powerful buff. I'm not quite as familiar with the warrior class. End game, well geared warriors and mages can be VERY good in PVP. Tanks need PVE buff as it relates to the entire party.

I agree 100% with you about what class balance actually means. It does not mean that all classes should be equal in 1 v 1. It means that all classes should be important in their own way for well balanced, mixed party fun.

Click my sig for some Arcane Videos!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kriticality For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Appeltjes View Post
    OOOOOOOH GET R.E.K.T

Anyway, someone Else that FINALLY agrees with me, It's really more about the classes separate SUPPOSED Uses.
    To take an example, is it not logical that rogues, the Class DESIGNED to kill single targets such as bosses, are strong in PVP one against one?
    And that the mage class should be useful in clashes instead, and therefore LOGICALLY be Inferior to a rogue at dealing one target damage? The Only thing there that needs to be discussed is how great mages are in clashes, wich might be bad, i dont know,but if it is,the thing that needs to be improved is propably how stuns work and how Easy mages are to kill (wich,for shield users, got a buff YEY)
    And as for warriors.
    I am not planning to go into a Clash without a warrior anytime soon. Nuff Said

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

With the new imbued mage sets they are pretty freaking OP right now too. Have you tried to kill Shinytoy in PvP before? Dude just won't die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Team death match.

Capture the Flag

They are both team games. Until there is a 1v1 room, it's clear the classes weren't designed to be pitted against each other in a 1v1.

I do agree that Mages need some sort of buff for 1v1, but the fact is the game isn't dssigned for it. So, if that's going to happen, their usefulness in clash should be decreased. That's fair, no? A good sorcerer can make or break a team.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Well I had a l17 mage, I could best a max l17 tank but I needed to use 3 damage skills and heal (also in addition a stun pet like breeze), sacrificing of my shield. I wouldn't mind if they decreased damage reduction of the shield and buffed the actual armor instead. It might be a bit of a hassle for them but yeah that's my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

unfortunately the AP system isn t designed for this team effort, which not only ruined ctf as intended, but is also a major source of frustration with the class balance.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Candylicks View Post
    With the new imbued mage sets they are pretty freaking OP right now too. Have you tried to kill Shinytoy in PvP before? Dude just won't die.
    Shinynab will die Just gotta jump him with his shield down or stall till his shield drops if you dont want to try breaking it and then bam! 1 hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    Many threads on it, many inaccuracies repeated over and over, much fuss being made. The cause of this? The "issue" that sorcerers cannot stand on their own as well as the other two classes. Which, as explained below, actually makes sense if you look at the bigger picture:

-The warrior, as tank, is designed to be able to sustain large amounts of damage, meant for the whole party not just himself. So of course, on a 1v1 scenario that amount seems like a lot to go through, especially if the warrior uses his skills efficiently. Plus, he's equipped with a very effective single-target feebling skill.

-The rogue, with the lack of an actual defense skill and invulnerability period like the other two classes, is solely focused on huge amounts of damage dealt through critical hits. Again, it's only natural that if you are going to face off 1v1 with a class whose damage skills are all meant for dealing with one opponent at a time (and yours aren't), you'll be at a disadvantage.

-And then there's the sorcerer, whose majority of damage skills are designed for mass control and thus their efficiency versus a single target is reasonably limited. But instead he performs much better in group fights through the use of his AoE stun, AoE debuff and AoE healing for the whole party. Equipped with a multitude of stun and root effects that if timed, they can completely disable an opponent and kill him without even a scratch (the majority of which is reasonably nerfed in PvP to prevent cheesing other players like PvE mobs). And lastly, a shield which temporarily gives them the survivability of a warrior and a lighting skill that allows for a portion of rogue's high crit damage to be available.

Overall, I do not understand why sorcerer users expect to win in 1v1 situations squaring off against a warrior or rogue, more often and easier than they already do. AL was designed as a multiplayer game in both PvE and PvP aspects so all three classes were made to complement each other and that cannot be achieved if you flatten out all three of them to achieve "balance" - there are situations where each of the three are best and worst at. And it's not even as if it's currently impossible to beat a rogue or warrior 1v1, at least at L41 (since warrior skills' STR amounts for whatever reason did not scale, making twink warriors overpowered and barely sustaining warriors at endgame, but that's another topic).

The point is, PvP not being played in the way that it was meant to be played --TEAM Deathmatch, Capture the Flag(traditionally a TEAM vs TEAM game)-- is not sufficient enough of a reason to demand a buff on the sorcerer class in order to perform better on situations that they were NATURALLY designed to be weak against.

This is not based on an opinion, it's based on facts of the current game design. Constructive comments are welcome but the primary reasoning of making this thread was to make a point. That's all.
    Puts like for the length of the post ;p

Sent from outer space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Appeltjes View Post
    Again, find something better to do than pick on people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trollish View Post
    Again, find something better to do than pick on people.
    thank you for standing up for this community. We need more people like you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PlzNoRush View Post
    thank you for standing up for this community. We need more people like you.
    Glad to be of service. Lel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

Spot on. People need to play the actual game, and they won't complain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

so maybe pvp should be class specific (just like leader boards are right now)...but seems to me rouges need to face other rouges..warriors vs warriors..and mags vs mages lol. but in team death match and other aspects of pvp..there has to be a way to combat effectively no matter what character you are. each class has there + and -...so yea..maybe having an arena just dedicated to class fights another to a brawl with any class...then it would be a war on how well geared you are..but atm AL thats the name of the game thanks to arcane rarity items.

but meh...im all talk and no pvp..well not on this game anyway lol.
    Last edited by octavos; 02-06-2015 at 06:09 PM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post

Yes, yes and yes I agree with you. You understand and get the idea many did not, gratz you see what others don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

I'm sorry, but one class should be evenly balanced with with the others...
    We are all designed to have DIFFERENT strengths and weaknesses YES, but having one class over shadow the others is not how mmo games are meant to be played.

Sry but other wise everyone would just play the BEST class
    Which has become the case for many here already
    Pm me if you'd like me to make you custom sig... Happy to help if I got time, and donations are accepted if u love it

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bellaelda For This Useful Post: