Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing Style of Paladin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playing Style of Paladin

Basically, when we see an str/int elf we call her a Paladin. This name only describe the spec of the character, but how do YOU play?

For those having a paladin, I would like to invite you to this thread, and share with us your playing style.

e.g.
    - how do you distribute the skill points?
    - what weapons/armors do you use?
    - what skill/combo do you use the most?
    - what do you do in different situations?

Come on share and let us (me) learn!
    錫老婆的人有福了 因他必有三餸一湯
    Xechs (Archer) - Xechz (Tank) - Charoro (Paladin)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't been playing that long but I use the sunblessed rift set and I am dual build(126/127). I used all my money to buy that, but I'm trying to get a keepers cosmo set together so I can switch off to that. Only the price on the robe is still high....

My skills after respeccing for 1.7 are:
    6-0-6-1
    6-5-0-6
    6-1-6-6

I bought a ring with +20 hp +1ms/hs. I rarely use mana shield unless I am getting swarmed. I miss having drain life though... this build definitely doesn't work in PvP very well, but I was just respeccing so I could try to PvE well for the new patch. Although, I am already missing being pure int with the damage that keepers set can put out. Life drain must do a ton of damage at 6, haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

im only 34 so far but i have thought about it alot. im definatly going the lowest strength and most int. my skill build will most likely look like this
    sorry i dont like bov enough to put points in it ;.; and in pvp i never have to revive so i didnt drop a point there eather xD
    Rawriloveyou - 25 vamp <3 Between - 21 vamp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by PhreEkGarden View Post
    I haven't been playing that long but I use the sunblessed rift set and I am dual build(126/127). I used all my money to buy that, but I'm trying to get a keepers cosmo set together so I can switch off to that. Only the price on the robe is still high....

My skills after respeccing for 1.7 are:
    6-0-6-1
    6-5-0-6
    6-1-6-6

I bought a ring with +20 hp +1ms/hs. I rarely use mana shield unless I am getting swarmed. I miss having drain life though... this build definitely doesn't work in PvP very well, but I was just respeccing so I could try to PvE well for the new patch. Although, I am already missing being pure int with the damage that keepers set can put out. Life drain must do a ton of damage at 6, haha.
    what about the defense? does it improve a lot by switching from pure int to dual build?

and what about life drain? only good for pure int mage or what?
    錫老婆的人有福了 因他必有三餸一湯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am just copy/pasting this from the respec thread I posted it in, but it's pretty relevant.

So I was dual specced with a full rift set and was missing how much damage I would do as pure int. So I got a keepers cosmo set back and respecced, man drain life as lvl 6 is a ton of damage.

BUT... I went into the sewers, roach hotel... and good god do I die fast, even with my armor buff(6) and mana shield(1) on. I suppose the days of being able to tank as a pure int mage are over, lol. It's probably how it should be though, because running around in AO3 with swarms of mobs on you as a pure int is not really balanced.

It did make me think I might go back to dual spec though, and just switch between the sets (have to get the equip still for dual spec INT).

I just couldn't believe how fast I was taking damage, haha.

Edit: Yeah, I just didn't go life drain because it didn't seem necessary for PvEing as a paladin. I was like 135ish defense as paly, now as all int with cosmo set I have 69 or 70 defense. It makes much more of a difference than I thought it would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by between View Post
    im only 34 so far but i have thought about it alot. im definatly going the lowest strength and most int. my skill build will most likely look like this
    sorry i dont like bov enough to put points in it ;.; and in pvp i never have to revive so i didnt drop a point there eather xD
    And I just hope I don't go PVE with you. Also blessing of vitality at 6 gives you 40 more armor which is a lot to help you survive archers.

Mine is

6-2-6-1
    6-3-6-6
    6-1-6-6

I think so that's for when I get to 56. Since the least that do damage are the Ice and frost I left them lower and I use drain life a lot even with the long CD. Blessings and debuffs are a must for me on PVE and PVP. And I use ice blast for pvp to stop runners and do combos.

Also I am dual spec. I use int gear to farm gold, pots and kill mobs and pally for elite dungeons and bosses. Also I use Hate gear with the Limbchopper since this is the weapon that gives the most damage on my skills so far. And I have tested a lot of them including the Zuraz and this is stronger.
    Last edited by Echelong; 02-11-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

My Pally:

Level: 50 Full of Hate (Hax/Shield for weapons)

Skill points:
    6 0 6 1
    6 6 6 6
    6 0 3 3

As for combos I pretty much spam everything. Talking about combos, anyone else noticed that their seem to be a glitch on "freeze"-"fire"? If you do both too quick it seems like the combo does not activate... I always do lightning and heal as soon as available no matter what is going on and trigger drain life if my health goes below half or as soon as available on a boss.

Depending on the group I will tank if no bear.
    Support and take care of the slow bears if they are around / keep the mages/birds protected from aggro the bears did not take.
    Rev that level 4 who snuck up on us.
    Last edited by StompArtist; 02-11-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the sharing guys

i feel that the paladin would match my taste well

need to read more about the combos now
    錫老婆的人有福了 因他必有三餸一湯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Talking about combos, anyone else noticed that their seem to be a glitch on "freeze"-"fire"? If you do both too quick it seems like the combo does not activate...
    Yes! Something fishy going on with the mage combos ever since 1.7 or the combos seem to depend on skill levels in some weird way. I respeced my skills and went from pure in to a pally when 1.7 came out, so I initially figured the lack of combos must have something to do with my changes. Now I went back to pure int and still cant hit them like i used to in well know places, like crush the keeper.

The only combo I got was with frostbite and firestorm, nothing with icestrom and firestorm. And after a few reskills it seems that when I upped my icestorm to 6 (thinking that as a pally I'd cast spells a little less but the combo would be worth it anyway) i lost it's ability to combo with firestorm. Now I downgraded it back to 1 (and upped the frostbite instead, which makes more sense anyway) and works again.

I'm not gonna waste any more plat trying to dwell on this further, but if someone has more info about this I'd like to hear about it. Or if there's discussion about this in the forums elsewhere, please point me to it. Otherwise I'm resetting my skills the way they were to be sure that it's now about the changes I made to them.
    Last edited by Hullukko; 02-14-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: made more accurate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    Yes! Something fishy going on with the mage combos ever since 1.7. I respeced my skills and went from pure in to a pally when 1.7 came out, so I initially figured the lack of combos must have something to do with my changes. Now went back to pure int and still cant hit them like i used to in crush the keeper.

I used to hit it nicely with icestorm-lightning-firestorm or lightning-icestorm-firestorm. Massive group damage and everybody flew around with COMBO.
    No more. The only combos I got after a short testing was with frostbite-lightning-firestorm. Either the timing has changed or something odd.

If there's discussion about this in the forums elsewhere, please point me to it. Otherwise I'm resetting my skills the way they were to be sure that it's now about the changes I made to them.
    You can still do it but it seems like you have to "wait" until people are "properly" frozen (see them actually stop) before triggering the firestorm. Not sure why...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Yep. There def seems to be a longer wait on the ice/fire Mage combo now. Created a dual build (currently lvl12) and thought it must be because I was lower level. Went back and tested on my lvl50 and the pause is now longer, you seem to need to be more accurate now and there doesn't seem to be as many COMBO logos flash up. Not fully tested though.

Back on Pally discussion, any advice on best way to level. Am currently balancing out but slightly favouring str to get armour higher. I have a nice pile of lvl19, 30, etc pinks to aim for. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Redbridge; 02-14-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I favored STR on my 50 until I could wear my hate gear. Then (with the gear equipped) started backing off on STR and putting into INT being careful not to back off too much. Downside is I cannot ever take the gear off. If I only take one piece off everything is removed due to insuficient STR... But that technique seemed to work very well for me. Minimum STR to wear desired armor while maxing out the INT related skills/regen.

There is probably a more efficient way of doing this because it cost me quite a few plat to get it right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shemron View Post
    Also I use Hate gear with the Limbchopper since this is the weapon that gives the most damage on my skills so far.
    What about the gemstone swords? Rooters especially.

I get more spell damage with the rooters gemstone sword (and oddly more with swords than axes which just baffles me) than with the scimitar or limbchopper of destiny. Haven't had a zuraz, but I take your word for it.

And a question, has anyone seen a rooter's shield?
    I'm using it's armor and sword most of the time for my pally in pve and the shield might be interesting, too, for some circumstances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    You can still do it but it seems like you have to "wait" until people are "properly" frozen (see them actually stop) before triggering the firestorm. Not sure why...
    But something in there is skill setup dependent. As I had 1 in icestorm and 5 firestorm before the 1.7 I threw it all the time, often with lightning inbetween. Then with 6-6 in ice and firestorms, respectively, I couldn't even get it to work. The I dropped the icestorm back to 1 and it works again like it used to.

And yes, there is that tiny delay needed between the two, as it always were, but my point is that with the 6 in both storms I couldn't get the combo to fire _at_all_. Only with frostbite (which again at that point was at 1) with fire.

I'm not gonna waste 4 plat to go back and see for sure, but I can say this for 100% certainty that after running around in keepers, even if it is possible to do the combo, the timing for the ice-fire combo is waaaay different with 6-6 than it is with 1-6. Either that or I'm losing my marbles.
    Last edited by Hullukko; 02-14-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    But something in there is skill setup dependent. As I had 1 in icestorm and 5 firestorm before the 1.7 I threw it all the time, often with lightning inbetween. Then with 6-6 in ice and firestorms, respectively, I couldn't even get it to work. The I dropped the icestorm back to 1 and it works again like it used to.

And yes, there is that tiny delay needed between the two, as it always were, but my point is that with the 6 in both storms I couldn't get the combo to fire _at_all_. Only with frostbite (which again at that point was at 1) with fire.

I'm not gonna waste 4 plat to go back and see for sure, but I can say this for 100% certainty that after running around in keepers, even if it is possible to do the combo, the timing for the ice-fire combo is waaaay different with 6-6 than it is with 1-6. Either that or I'm losing my marbles.
    I get it working with 6-6 but have to wait quite a bit... perhaps 3 seconds or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I played pure INT Mage up through level 50 but (before the rebalance update) I got tired of dying constantly in AO3. I had full cosmos gear and would get one shot killed by any Boss. The Bears seemed to dominate everything so I raised a bear to level 50 with full Rift Gear and it seemed like nothing could kill me but I missed the the AOE and heal/resurrect of the mage so I respected to dual int/str with a cosmos/rift sets (later switched to Hate gear) to give it a try - I loved being a pally!! I could actually survive boss attacks and live to heal and resurrect the team. Then after the rebalance update the pally build dominates! I could lead the charge on just about any attack and had frequent comments from other players that I was the best tank they ever played with.

The 1.7 update has been interesting and makes me wonder if the developers aren't trying to push everyone back to being pure... I went into it the first few days of the Sewers as strictly Palladin but now play pure mage more often on certain maps unless the group lacks a tank and I will switch (I have 4 saved builds for str or int base, best so I can swith instantly from mage to pally). With so many firetraps and mobs around firetraps on some of the levels, I prefer the range weapons so the auto-attack doesn't pull me back and forth over firetraps or into larger mobs. One blast from a firetrap could kill me even as a palladin. I rarely ever used mana shield in the past, but use it frequently now on every Sewer map to navigate the horribly annoying firetraps. Also The new pink STR gear (Fury gear) has no mana regen so I bought a ring to add +3 m/s and still use the Hate helmet (armor on the new helmets stink) and puts me at 8 m/s as a pally or 38 m/s as pure INT.

I'm still learning to play the new dungeons so I am switching a lot and trying both to see what I prefer.

My skill build is:
    6 0 6 1
    6 4 6 6
    6 1 6 6

-Addicted
    Last edited by Addicted; 02-16-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    Star Legends: Addicted, AddictedTank, AddictedEngi | Pocket Legends: AddictedElf, AddictedBird, AddictedBear | Arcane Legends: AddictedMage, AddictedRogue, AddictedTank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Also, one last comment on the Ice - Fire combo... Some of the new mobs (like the green ones in the Catacombs) are immuned to ice so the combo doesn't work because they don't freeze. I have noticed that you need a little longer delay, but the combo works fine on bandit mobs.
    Star Legends: Addicted, AddictedTank, AddictedEngi | Pocket Legends: AddictedElf, AddictedBird, AddictedBear | Arcane Legends: AddictedMage, AddictedRogue, AddictedTank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just had a few runs with my paladin and find a lot of fun! the Weakness skill was very useful in keeping her alive!

and do you paladin guys out there like the Nightmare skill?

what do you think is the best timing to cast magic shield? simply when your surrounded by a lot of mobs or what?

and what do you think about the last two buff? do you guys use them a lot? are they really worth the points?

錫老婆的人有福了 因他必有三餸一湯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just changed over to a pally and this helped alot. Im level 3o I use all iceberg items. The only downside I see its less damage over all. I'm used to running into mobs and I can't do that now also what helmet should I use?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Call me noob, but I chose to build a Paladin for the ability to buff up, run in, and deal awesome aoe damage while having the ability to keep others alive with heal. It seems though, that nobody uses the mana shield? Why is that? I love the flexibility the Pally has to fill whatever role seems to be lacking in the group...

but that's just me