Thread: Do you change before boss

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Do you change before boss

I noticed I know only two or three other bears who change their gear before the boss. I do that nearly in every run, to change from an higher armor setup for mobs to something more appropriate for a fast boss kill.

So for example in hideout runs, I start with an 8-armor ring, talon and shield, giving me a decent 122 armor and nice dodge.
    But before facing Goldfinger I switch to recurve and bravery ring. This way I only got 86 armor, but killing the boss seems faster with the higher damage.

So how about you other bears, do you switch depending on who you want to kill?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

No doubt I do, every game I do.

I'm done with a dual spec bear for now, so I'm using str gear only, and on bosses I whip out my G.Hammer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it depends on the group I'm with, especially whether or not there's a 1st rate bear in the group or not. If not, that means I'm tanking, so I switch to shield. I carry a big pile of junk with me all the time for different occasions. I wanna get a hold of a Royal Dirtclod of Smooshing, or whatever it is, so I can look cooooooooooool running around.
    Foofatooty, 56/Elf - Munobroby, 56/Bear - Tengotengo, 56/Avian - Famlytrucksta, 20something Dog - Oldgerum, 20something Rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I switch from bellow set to plunger set if attempting to solo a.boss. but if im with a good group ill stay with bellow set if with a ok group i use plunger plate cleaner shield bellow axe and helmet works pretty good
    http://www.plinc.webs.com
    Join us. Conquer all. Simple.
    Naptownblunt-level56 dex bear. Impoorlol-level43 nuker.Xigetpinksx-level25 pure tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have the hate set. Get dps 175 and reaches 256 on rage. (Does this include the execute proc?!) Now, I am confused as what to use for boss. M level 53. Gurgox hammer somehow gives me low dps ( Does base damage matter or should I only look for DPS). Plasma Axe gives more dps to me than Hate but I lose out on a lot of armor and with rage both DPS are comparable. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lUp3 View Post
    I have the hate set. Get dps 175 and reaches 256 on rage. (Does this include the execute proc?!) Now, I am confused as what to use for boss. M level 53. Gurgox hammer somehow gives me low dps ( Does base damage matter or should I only look for DPS). Plasma Axe gives more dps to me than Hate but I lose out on a lot of armor and with rage both DPS are comparable. Suggestions anyone?
    I perfer as high armor crit hit and dps you get from ur items ive used hate set compared to 10k bellow set bellows better overall besides armor pretty low for bosses so thats why i switch to the bellow helm axe plunger plate cleaner shield both the cleaner shield and plunger plate give better armor then bellow but give less crit and dps but works very well for me
    Naptownblunt-level56 dex bear. Impoorlol-level43 nuker.Xigetpinksx-level25 pure tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I've always favoured base damage over DPS for bears in boss fights.

It works especially well in boss fights since you actually normal attack, which puts your base damage in use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

@naptownblunt: I think I still cant use those items ..lvl 53
    @ellyidol: Not to noob the discussion out, but what do they signify -> Base damage and DPS? Doesnt DPS (damage/sec) incorporate da base damage with speed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Yes that's true, but there is one thing that high base damage has, that DPS doesn't, it's lesser damage reduction.

Take for example a Gurgox Hammer. Because of it's speed, it's DPS only shows about 200, but it has one of the highest base damages in game.

DPS only calculates the actual full amount of damage done, but doesnt take into account that damage is reduced by armor, and the higher your base damage, the higher your actual damage; and the higher your DPS, it usually means that your base damage is quite low, thus actually dealing less damage per attack than expected.

What I like to think of is this, I'd rather choose a slower weapon that deals 200 damage per hit than a high DPS weapon (but low in base damage) and only dealing 2 strikes of 50 damage in the same time. Which shows that 200>100 in actual damage dealt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I never change... I just use full Hate... Im Tank and im going to buy Full FF I guess if u change u r an attack bear
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@naptownblunt: I think I still cant use those items ..lvl 53
    @ellyidol: Not to noob the discussion out, but what do they signify -> Base damage and DPS? Doesnt DPS (damage/sec) incorporate da base damage with speed?

Use the level 53 you can use those

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Dont they cost a lot?

@Ellyidol: Thnx for the info. No wonder you dint sell the Hammer to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Dont they cost a lot?

@Ellyidol: Thnx for the info. No wonder you dint sell the Hammer to me.
    Cause I only have 1 :P

They aren't or shouldn't be that expensive, 50k at most maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm on a push for 55 with my bear, and I'm debating on graduating out of the Hate armor, or at least using it as one of my loadouts. I've got all of it, so it's always nice to have a set bonus with most of the weapons I use...

but, I'm now trying to figure out the best set for me. I have, on my person, a full set of Bodyguard with axe, sword, and battlesword. There a better route to go? The non-pinks don't get set bonuses, do they?
    Foofatooty, 56/Elf - Munobroby, 56/Bear - Tengotengo, 56/Avian - Famlytrucksta, 20something Dog - Oldgerum, 20something Rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Nothing wrong with finishing with a Hate set.

It depends what your looking for really. Bodyguards has good armour and damage I think, and no, there are no set bonuses outside of pink.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ugh, didn't like the Bodyguard. I need m/s. I already hate chugging HP potions. Back into the Hate I go!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My bear wearing Bodyguards set, body change to Fury F plate, give up 10 damage get more 6m/s and higher def
    Bodyguards also added dodge too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends on my group. For bosses in an attack heavy group, I'll switch to Force Cutter to stack an armor drop. For a group with another tanker, a good mage group that'll keep my health up, I'll switch over to Gurgox Hammer in place of a shield and 1H and help lay down a smackdown. For a balanced group or for regular enemies going through the stage, I'll switch to the Zuraz. I dont have any particular sets yet, just saving up for it so my armor stays the same- Mystery Helm of Ancients, Mystery Armor of Ancients, and Rift Shield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I'll pull out the Royal Sewer BFH or switch to a Henchman Autobow with a 2 crit 10damage ring (currently dual spec) for bosses...speeds thing up a bit.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage