Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mega Mage vs. Shadow - Worth It? Advice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrilana View Post
    Thanks! I was about to bother someone about this. Do you notice any significant difference between gem blast and gemstone staffs?
    Gem blast is basically like a more potent version of the Keeper's staff of the Cosmos. Same proc and AOE. Just no crit. I will be releasing a big guide on this at some point. Like the Keeper's staff, you can do additional damage by casting frostbite onto a target and freezing it (in fact, possibly more than the Gemstone).

Gemstone by contrast does slightly higher damage to a single target, slightly better armor, but no AOE.

Both staffs give the same skill damage bonuses. Both staffs will trigger the set bonus as well. I have a PDF comparing the 3 mega mage sets to the shadow sets that I will be releasing. On my to do list are comparisons to the cosmos set and other level 55 sets. Also, please disregard the calculations that the OP has made - as Royce has noted, they are not accurate and not reflective of real game conditions.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 03-12-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I think keeper has higher splash damage. I notice with gem blast, that the enemies need to be a lot closer together to have multiple hits invoked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    I think keeper has higher splash damage. I notice with gem blast, that the enemies need to be a lot closer together to have multiple hits invoked.
    Possibly true - I haven't tested yet. Of course, for splash damage area, nothing beats the older Apep Sunkillers.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I can't think of any valid way to test it, but feel is definitely way different from MM to Keeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    . I have a PDF comparing the 3 mega mage sets to the shadow sets that I will be releasing. On my to do list are comparisons to the cosmos set and other level 55 sets. Also, please disregard the calculations that the OP has made - as Royce has noted, they are not accurate and not reflective of real game conditions.
    cant wait to read the awesome guide, elf. thumbs up
    Mits - "die like a Mits" - the original noob that hangs around fire for too long
    Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN
    if your party is noobing, chances are you have a mits somewhere.
    Mitsuisun Lv56 full dex bird | Mitsuimoon lv56 full int mage | Mitsuistar str/dex bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

hmm interesting
    PL: Anglfyr - Lvl66 [Enchantress]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

When i plug in the data to my emulator i built i get the following data. Basically MM gemstone wand weapon damage trends slightly higher versus low armor enemies because of the combo, Shadows wand is at about the same trend just slightly less. only slightly less because of the higher crit and being hit capped. As for Skill damage, the MM does more, but trends slower than the Shadows set because of the high crit in the Shadows set. either way, the total DPS from MM is much higher than that of the Shadows set at lvl 55.

this is for single target dps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    Well we already know MM preforms better in every other category. Were just unsure about mob clearing.

So even if MM isn't the best for mob clearing, it still has all the other sets outnumbered 2 to 1 for advantages. I just stress the crit and hit percent point, since I am literally obsessed with max possible damage.
    Max dmg comes from scrubbers and scrapers, but the cost is in ms and armor. Overall mega wins in some sense though rarely go in all mega since i do want the crits one or two scrubbers give me. You mileage may vary. (talking about wanding here mostly though. When i go for staff i go for max damage and then its mega armor, scrubber staff and scraper hat. A little naked but deadly.)