Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to distribute skills?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best way to distribute skills?

I was wondering, in your opinion what is the best way to distribute the skill points?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well that depends on your class. There are a few guides on the forums that can help you out. Really it comes down to how you play, try distributing them yourself and if your not happy find a guide to direct you.
    56 Majormajic - 55 Majortank - 5 Majorfive
    Pocket Legend Inc.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Mage setup is perfect right now for all builds.

Every build should be running this build for level 56.

6 4 6 1
    6 1 6 6
    6 1 6 6

You could put more into ice, but I strongly don't recommend it. Ice doesn't really increase much at all past level 1. Nor does mana shield, mana shield should always be 1, since its greatest effects can be obtained at level 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wouldn't having more in Ice Blast also increase the damage of the combo with fire storm? Also, from what I can see, it increases average damage by 7.5 pts per level. And since it's always used -- due to the Fire Storm combo -- that doesn't seem inconsequential to me, especially since it's area damage (e.g. 10 enemies around you, and in aggregate, that's 75 points extra per level).

Lower than the others, but the chance to freeze could possibly increase (mine's at level 4 and I see non-boss freezes fairly frequently).

Also, do weakness and nightmare really help that much? Do we even know how long the effects last? If it lasts just a few seconds, like self buffs, that would seem -- wasteful. I'd rather do an extra 7.5 damage per level from ice than strip armor for just 5 extra damage from weakness, for instance, especially since the 7.5 damage extra is permanent but the armor stripping probably times-out fairly quickly -- and is really only useful against bosses, anyway.

Along those same line, vitality seems pretty useless past level 1. All you generally get are a few hit points per level, that only last 12 seconds. This isn't H/S, either, like the party-side buff. At level 3, for me, that was an extra 16 hp ... and to even see that extra points, I had to regen or heal, so it has no real impact during a long battle. I'm not sure what the top level is, but even an extra 40 or so points is just 10% for 12 seconds, again, with the required heal/regen to reach that level. I just don't see the point of it. The party-side 2 h/s heals an extra 24 points every 12 seconds -- and for two whole minutes -- right at the first level. The only reason I could see upgrading is if that changed at a higher level.

Thus, I would think those points (5 of them) would do better on the ice side (both ice attacks).

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I just tried an experiment in FH. I got myself surround and had a continuous stream of 5-7 damage showing (on me). No amount of weakness or nightmare changed that. I tried for several minutes to see if I could detect any sort of reduction in the number of landed hits or damage done. No change at all. Something else must be going on, otherwise I'd conclude that weakness and nightmare effectively did nothing... and are even more useless than I thought.
    Last edited by lilbyrdie; 03-17-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: add note about weakness and nightmare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post

6 4 6 1
    6 1 6 6
    6 1 6 6

You could put more into ice, but I strongly don't recommend it. Ice doesn't really increase much at all past level 1. Nor does mana shield, mana shield should always be 1, since its greatest effects can be obtained at level 1.
    I have almost the same setup as you but points on ice blast is 1 and frost storm is 4 mostly because I am not pvping atm. For PVE I think frost storm is better and yes both only increase a bit.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post

6 4 6 1
    6 1 6 6
    6 1 6 6

... I forgot new skill max was 6...
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    ... I forgot new skill max was 6...
    hehe yeah I did respec putting all the skills I could to 6, I left out ice blast and 1 to frost storm and drain life to 5 I think.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Blessing of vitality adds ARMOR. 40 armor at level 6 to be exact. Don't know about you, but i like my armor high.

Also, enemies have a minimum damage. FH mobs have a minimum of 5-7 thats why you don't see any effects. Even with an armor rating omof over 9000 you'd still receive 5-7 damage.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbyrdie View Post
    Wouldn't having more in Ice Blast also increase the damage of the combo with fire storm? Also, from what I can see, it increases average damage by 7.5 pts per level. And since it's always used -- due to the Fire Storm combo -- that doesn't seem inconsequential to me, especially since it's area damage (e.g. 10 enemies around you, and in aggregate, that's 75 points extra per level).

Lower than the others, but the chance to freeze could possibly increase (mine's at level 4 and I see non-boss freezes fairly frequently).

Also, do weakness and nightmare really help that much? Do we even know how long the effects last? If it lasts just a few seconds, like self buffs, that would seem -- wasteful. I'd rather do an extra 7.5 damage per level from ice than strip armor for just 5 extra damage from weakness, for instance, especially since the 7.5 damage extra is permanent but the armor stripping probably times-out fairly quickly -- and is really only useful against bosses, anyway.

Along those same line, vitality seems pretty useless past level 1. All you generally get are a few hit points per level, that only last 12 seconds. This isn't H/S, either, like the party-side buff. At level 3, for me, that was an extra 16 hp ... and to even see that extra points, I had to regen or heal, so it has no real impact during a long battle. I'm not sure what the top level is, but even an extra 40 or so points is just 10% for 12 seconds, again, with the required heal/regen to reach that level. I just don't see the point of it. The party-side 2 h/s heals an extra 24 points every 12 seconds -- and for two whole minutes -- right at the first level. The only reason I could see upgrading is if that changed at a higher level.

Thus, I would think those points (5 of them) would do better on the ice side (both ice attacks).

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I just tried an experiment in FH. I got myself surround and had a continuous stream of 5-7 damage showing (on me). No amount of weakness or nightmare changed that. I tried for several minutes to see if I could detect any sort of reduction in the number of landed hits or damage done. No change at all. Something else must be going on, otherwise I'd conclude that weakness and nightmare effectively did nothing... and are even more useless than I thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Think ofthis: a higher level single attack for more damage?
    Or a debuff that increases the damage of all your attacks, AND your teammates attacks?

Edit: I also use weakness for the hit debuff
    On everything. Let's me survive long enough to kill the mobs before they recover.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Drain life 6 = awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Am I missing something?
    (Talking from a pve perspective only.)
    The combo damage is an additional damage from the firestorm. Increasing ice storm in that sense has no impact on the combo per se. I don't know about the freeze chance though. When the skill cap was raised with 1.7 I tried the icestrorm at 6 for a while and I couldn't hit the combo worth jack. Maybe it was me, but after I respecced it back to 1 I started landing it again. Dunno what the hell that was and haven't tried that before since I wouldn't want a higher ice storm now anyway.

BOV adds armor to self. 40 points is a alot.

weakness is crucial to lower enemy hit change and damage with large with high dmg or otherwise large mobs (e.g. some intersections in catacombs and pulled groups in stronghold) and for hard hitting bosses. it helps the entire group, not just the one casting it.

nightmare lowers enemy armor for the benefit of the entire group. nuff said.

Personally I have the exact setup mentioned here. I prefer to have the few ice related points in frost bite rather than ice storm because I already have enough aoe dmg from fire storm and lightning and frost bite contributes to the max dps against a boss better than ice strom does.But your mileage preference in this regard may vary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky../ View Post
    Blessing of vitality adds ARMOR. 40 armor at level 6 to be exact. Don't know about you, but i like my armor high.

Also, enemies have a minimum damage. FH mobs have a minimum of 5-7 thats why you don't see any effects. Even with an armor rating omof over 9000 you'd still receive 5-7 damage.
    Odd. So there's a magic SHIELD that provides armor. And vitality... provides armor? I see that in my stats now when I hit the buff. That seems redundant, as far as skills go, and not inline with the party buff part nor the name. Oh, just ran the buff:

At Level 1:
    Health: 409-> 434, that's +25 health (from the party buff part)
    Armor: 52->60, that's +8 armor (the +8 for 12 seconds in the listing)

But after 12 seconds, the health stayed at 434 and the armor reverted (of course, because the +25 health is a party buff)
    After 120 seconds, the health finally reverted.

I think my confusion was that I had it at the +24 and was off-by-one on my math and not noticing the armor.

Better than I thought, but makes the mana shield seem ... weak in comparison. Not only does Blessing give hitpoints to the party and h/s, but more armor than the mana shield. And it might even do so with less mana (not sure how much it costs).

40 armor is a nice boost...

Thanks for pointing that out! That's clearly one thing I was missing.

The minimum damage is useful to note, too. It provides balance to a high armor -- you also want your dodge up (and h/s).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    (Talking from a pve perspective only.)
    The combo damage is an additional damage from the firestorm. Increasing ice storm in that sense has no impact on the combo per se. I don't know about the freeze chance though. When the skill cap was raised with 1.7 I tried the icestrorm at 6 for a while and I couldn't hit the combo worth jack. Maybe it was me, but after I respecced it back to 1 I started landing it again. Dunno what the hell that was and haven't tried that before since I wouldn't want a higher ice storm now anyway.

BOV adds armor to self. 40 points is a alot.

weakness is crucial to lower enemy hit change and damage with large with high dmg or otherwise large mobs (e.g. some intersections in catacombs and pulled groups in stronghold) and for hard hitting bosses. it helps the entire group, not just the one casting it.

nightmare lowers enemy armor for the benefit of the entire group. nuff said.

Personally I have the exact setup mentioned here. I prefer to have the few ice related points in frost bite rather than ice storm because I already have enough aoe dmg from fire storm and lightning and frost bite contributes to the max dps against a boss better than ice strom does.But your mileage preference in this regard may vary.
    Good points.

Seems weakness and nightmare scale with party size much better than ice storm. When going solo, it's a toss up on vanilla mobs, but probably still better on bosses. (Though, that assumes that a mobs armor blocks all sources of damage equally, whether skill or weapon based. That seems to be the case, just like it seems to be the case that crit also affects skill damage. Pleasant, but odd.)

On the flip side, like party buffs, I assume weakness and nightmare don't stack. That means only one mage in a party needs to bother with them. And I'd hope that whoever has the highest debuff wins. Otherwise, a mage casting with only level 1 skill vs a level 6 would actually end up doing more harm than good for the party...

And as for boss vs mob group clearing, I haven't decided which is better. I tend to think if you like boss attack power, you'd play as a bird... but that decision is less clear, although deciding it does impact which skills to choose (or respec to, which I'm very grateful for).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have always wondered how debuff really works in this game. For birds it’s easier, because our debuff effects has durations, such as:
    Break Armor for 26pts for 10 seconds at lv6
    Bliding Shot for -30% hit% for 5 seconds at lv6
    etc

So we always recast as soon as it refreshes, and for boss’s sake I understand/hope it does not stack with other birds. (Or else boss will have -120% when faces with 4 birds for 5 secs LOL)

What is not clear to me is mage’s and bear’s (I am new player, haven’t really ventured into other classes as much, raising mage atm)

For mages, I do not see the debuff duration nor seen on guides/posts ( IF there’s one I apoligze, please point me to right link, so I can read at work )

Another idea is if boss can have the display icon like we do, so we can tell what debuff effect is happening.
    For example, I usually have 4 buff icons next to my name, 2 from mage 2 from bird. If I get hit by slime fire or other mobs that debuff me, I get extra icon.

Bear’s taunt will put red ! on mobs, and redish glow effect on them. Gold Fever fevers us with colorful!!!!.

If boss can have that too, that would be cool. But with all 3 classes that can do debuff/effect on boss, perhaps that will be a bit too much

Since we are always going to spam skills and boss do die fairly easy, perhaps at this point of game it’s a moot point.

But when new content / harder boss comes along, this should be important.

Maybe that’s why there’s going to be a global cool down happening.

The devs are looking out for mob/boss and raising the challenge heh.
    Mits - "die like a Mits" - the original noob that hangs around fire for too long
    Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN
    if your party is noobing, chances are you have a mits somewhere.
    Mitsuisun Lv56 full dex bird | Mitsuimoon lv56 full int mage | Mitsuistar str/dex bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN View Post
    Maybe that’s why there’s going to be a global cool down happening.
    Interesting. Sounds like the skills for birds basically show more details, which is useful. I wonder why those details are missing from the others? On purpose or just a bug/oversight?

I wonder if two different armor debuffs even stack? (e.g. from mage and bird)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting. Sounds like the skills for birds basically show more details, which is useful. I wonder why those details are missing from the others? On purpose or just a bug/oversight?

I wonder if two different armor debuffs even stack? (e.g. from mage and bird)
    Actually, it's because of Phy's bird bible - http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...quipment-Guide
    that I got to know/understand how to play bird heh

Birds dont have full description in our skills page either, but because of extensive work Phy has put in, we got to understand the matrix. I dont think it's bug/oversight, it's just how the game is made for us to figure out.

I am sure the debuff stack discussion is somewhere on the forums, I just need to look it up =)

Debuff is extremely important if/when GDC happens, game will require more skills/strategy, which I personally like.
    Mits - "die like a Mits" - the original noob that hangs around fire for too long
    Mitsuisun Lv56 full dex bird | Mitsuimoon lv56 full int mage | Mitsuistar str/dex bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

@Mitsuisun

The debuff is when you see purple going under the mage. Affected targets glow purple too. You probably don't notice it when playing with me, but I cast both fast as they recharge. I can show you in game if you'd like. Annoyingly, weakness and nightmare are both purple. Kind of like how the animations for avian and shattering scream are alike. They also do a bit of damage to the affected targets.

@lilbyrdie

It is fire blast, not ice storm that should be maxed on every mage for the maximum hot flash damage output.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 03-17-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    @Mitsuisun

The debuff is when you see purple going under the mage. Affected targets glow purple too. You probably don't notice it when playing with me, but I cast both fast as they recharge. I can show you in game if you'd like. Annoyingly, weakness and nightmare are both purple. Kind of like how the animations for avian and shattering scream are alike. They also do a bit of damage to the affected targets.
    Elf, of course I notice/know, that's why I don't group with just any mage and follow them around lol. Soon I am going to complete bird and focus raising mage to 56.

In the preparation of GCD, I been testing nightmare and weakness on my mage as well, skill order when facing different situations etc, that’s why I like to learn more about the duration/stack/recast and seek actual mage’s opinion.

Very soon I will start bugging you about this and that on mage stuff heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

I'm going to have to try that skill build Pharcyde. I'm happy with mine but always looking for something better.
    PL ign: Yvonnel - 66 Enchantress / Yvonnela - 65 Archer / Yvonnelw - 55 Warrior

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

To clear the confusion on some spells, I'll explain what each one does and why I chose my build.

6 4 6 1
    6 1 6 6
    6 1 6 6

Healing - 6: needed at 6 for both PvP and PvE. Not even gonna debate this one, because any pure int mage knows how crucial it is to their survival.

Frost Bite - 4: Basically leftover scrap points from maxing all other skills. Frost bite is the 2nd most important damage spell in PvP when it comes to range and kiting. As for PvE, I still recommend 4. Ice storm just increases way too little, and usually ice storm doesn't get many kills, regardless of an extra +10 damage from each level.

Lightning - 6: Armor debuff, crucial for PvE and PvP. Mage-Bird combo assist that inflicts MASSIVE damage.

Rev - 1: Only -5 mana cost per level. lvl 55 mages regenerate mana faster then they can even cast with all their spells combined. Wasted skill points beyond 1.

Fire Storm - 6: Part of Mage combo, hits about 1/3 to 2/3 extra damage in a third re-roll. I believe that the combo damage can also be critical'd. 6 for both PvE and PvP.

Ice Storm - 1: Basically, you get the full ability of the ice storm at level 1. It only increases about 10 damage extra per level. 1 point because it still is a really big boost of damage at lvl 1 and assists fire storm in the combo.

Drain Life - 6: Need maxed for both PvE and PvP. For PvP, biggest damage dealer and if used right, can heal you completely after a PvP battle. For PvE, drain life has long range, so you can drag a single enemy, like the bandit king. Then it also heals much more then your health potions, so you can use that when you find yourself in a situation where mobs are damaging you faster then you can heal. (Sometimes I will be potion spamming, with one finger, drain life with another, and healing with another just to survive a situation).

Nightmare - 6: Crucial for PvE and PvP. (Original post earlier) someone mentioned that a boss can be debuffed by all three classes. Thats the point. The devs made it so that bosses are incredibly strong, so that they will be really strong after debuffs as well. The devs pretty much made this in hopes to spark tactical party setups involving all classes. (No classes in hibernation). Then for PvP, this spell pretty much makes the opponents defense go away almost 100% for a short period of time. Without using this spell, you will hit a lot of dodges on birds and a lot of misses on bears.

Weakness - 6: Like I said above with bosses. Then same exact thing with PvP, just think about it with damage. When this spell is casted, its like it turns a birds powerful bow or a bears sharp sword into a floppy piece of wood and a dull butter knife for a small period of time.

Blessings of Vitality - 6: I can't think of a single reason not to max this spell. When its casted, its virtually like adding an extra member to the party. Then mages CANNOT survive PvP without this spell.

Blessings of Might - 6: Same exact reason as Blessing of Vitality.

Mana Shield - 1: Ahh... Mana Shield.... Only leave it at 1, because like ice storm, its biggest benefits are already gained at level 1. Each point extra is only increasing your armor +2. Thats just like having two vanity helms on, thats not gonna do a darn thing in helping your survivability.