Thread: Luck and lack there of

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Default Luck and lack there of

Hello,

I just want to share my experiences and thoughts on the topic of luck and the lack there of in this game. I farm planar tombs quite a lot. I used to be able to loot one planar chest once every 20-25 runs on average. Unfortunately this is over and has been over for quite some time. I went twice to breeze (2*125 fragments= 125 runs) and some more without looting a single chest. This is just too much imho. I do understand that it is based on luck, but there must be a hard limit to it.

Further I have farmed planar arena quite consistently since the time, when the timers in arena were on. I do between 5-10 runs a day and while it might not be a lot at a time it does add up over time. I think it is safe to say that I have done well over 300 runs now. Unfortunately not only I haven't looted the mythic pendant recipe, but I am yet to see someone else loot one. This is over 1200 tries (4 for full party *300) rolls for one. Again just too much!

I do understand that there those powerful items has to be rare, etc., but one really needs to get some reward for putting that much time into a game, which is, correct me if I am wrong, supposed to be fun. Anyway as a result of my misfortune I sold my mythic bow and am in the process of selling the rest of my items. I might or might not return for the expansion.

Regards,

Azek

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    465 Posts

Same. I too never have looted a planar chest ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

One day you wil get it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

I think you misunderstood. I have done way more than 125 runs in total and i used to loot one chest every 20-25 runs as compared to none now. Anyway thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    I've done over a hundred arena runs(easily, not counting cuz I am past caring) and still no recipe. I've also collected 2 breezes and an ingot from running planar tombs and have yet to receive a planar tombs chest. To top it all off I must be on my 400th chest from huthgulu and still haven't received the golden cupid wings for my mage. I've tried everything including opening on a different account and farming on a different account.

Now that I'm done cribbing about my "cursed" account, I would like to say my views on why some accounts just don't get anything. I've seen this on many MMO's which include a separate drop system for each character. Usually the "drop table" in these games r fixed for each character. For example, suppose player x makes an account, this account is given an ID 1234 now then this account is given the "luck" of looting certain things more than the chance of looting other things, his drops r calculated on an algorithm which is predefined(in AL u add in all the variables like loot reroll or damage counter, which I don't really think affects the drops on boss). In other words, ur luck isnt ur own luck, STS has given u ur luck on AL. My time on AL has taught me that I should stick to using the same lep :3 cuz usually(not always) I can tell when my lepre is going to re-roll and that when I do get lucky(all my ill begotten luck ends once in a while) u get super lucky.
    Once I got a lock as my first drop on my twink mage. Once during shuyal cap I looted 3 pylons back to back with luck and loot. Also I ran like 50+ planar tomb runs without a lepre(lepres too mainstream, also I think it rerols the chests to locks) and looted a planar staff brutality without a reroll,which was pretty cool. Also my first ever elite map(elite Breckenridge forest) I looted a kettle, till then I had never looted an egg! Good luck might be elusive but when u do find it the pleasure is multiplied by the wait
    P.S.: that bit about STS predefining luck on some accounts might not be correct but that's just my way of looking at it.
    P.S.S.: Also it would be cool if STS would tell us how loot reroll and luck systems work besides the vague references to what our chances to loot an arcane nekro at arena are!
    People looted the class wings on their class character. The anti-class idea is not true. I am sure many people looted multiple cupid wings, but no Hugthulu wings for their class. I DO know people who looted many Cupid wings, but no lovecraft set of their class (for real, and I can give names).

P.S.S.: is that a Post Scriptum Scriptum???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    True the anti-class rumour cant be taken seriously. Though u can't really argue with the fact most people complaining on forums are having the same problem. Most games like AL(MMOs with individual drops)have this "drop table" assigned to some accounts that make their work more on some drops and get some other drops easily. I have over 10 Lovecraft sets for rogue before my first golden cupid for a rogue. So it could be true some accounts just get a certain type of drop more, or this could be all random hocus pocus algebra that makes no sense to any of us whatsoever.

P.S.S. Just something I took off of harry potter books read during my childhood and its stuck ever since. I do hope it means "Post Scriptum Scriptum"
    The idea that the drop rate for class cupid wing is low can still be considered.

P.S.S.: my latin knowledge tells me that PSS doesn't make any sense. It means after message message

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragoonclaws For This Useful Post:

Overweightank

You guys are complaining for something no one can fix. What's the point of complaining? YOU decide what to do, if you're losing too much from trying to get recipe, stop searching. Tired of getting no planar? use a lepre AND kits at the end of the run for something that is over rated in price anyways. -_-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

If you are that undergeared or underfunded, it's possible you have to build up to it. Or do it in small snippets. Or possibly re-think the way you play.

That there are some areas you have to prepare to run is one of the more interesting aspects of this type of game. Just because you are L41 does not mean you can walk through planar arena and tombs.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    If you are that undergeared or underfunded, it's possible you have to build up to it. Or do it in small snippets. Or possibly re-think the way you play.

That there are some areas you have to prepare to run is one of the more interesting aspects of this type of game. Just because you are L41 does not mean you can walk through planar arena and tombs.
    I do not know if this reply is intended for me or not. Anyway I am neither underfunded, nor undergeared. Planar tombs does feel like a walk in the park after so many runs. It is about the total lack of luck I am experiencing during the last month. And yes one has to build up to being able to run planar tombs. Being lvl 41 is not even close to making it easy. Having a good experienced pt and a covering certain gear requirements does however.

P.S. I am not complaining. Just sharing my thoughts. I have played a number of rpgs/mmos and many of those (not all) have had a hard limit on bad luck: after a certain amount of times not looting anything one receives a guaranteed drop. The counter resets and rinse and repeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    236 Posts

You can't quit!

Back on topic, I've looted exactly 2 planar chests in the last 4-5 weeks. In two consecutive runs on one day. And the OP knows I run a lot. As for recipe - I looted mine at 400+ runs. Some did on 600+, and I've seen people mention here on forums that they've gone 1000+ or even 2000+ runs without a recipe. I too hate it that almost everything here is based on luck. I mean, you can open one lock by mistake (you dropped your phone and opened a lock) and loot something that's worth more than what I farmed in - what is it now - 4 months since Tombs were released. I'm not sure there is another game like this.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tatman For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Overweightank View Post
    You guys are complaining for something no one can fix. What's the point of complaining? YOU decide what to do, if you're losing too much from trying to get recipe, stop searching. Tired of getting no planar? use a lepre AND kits at the end of the run for something that is over rated in price anyways. -_-
    Not complaining. Maybe I should have clarified, that i always lepre and do use luck lix about 50% of the time. I have had plenty of rerolls. Many times double rerolls on both items the t3 boss drops, alas to no avail during my last about 130 runs.

P.S. In regards to arena: in the parties I run with we normally do not need ankhs. Maybe one every 3-4 full runs. All I lose is the potions and those are offset by the reinforced gems that now drop from the chests. In fact all I lose is time. The problem is that you gain nothing for your time and the chances of looting the recipe are bleak at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tatman View Post
    You can't quit!

Back on topic, I've looted exactly 2 planar chests in the last 4-5 weeks. In two consecutive runs on one day. And the OP knows I run a lot. As for recipe - I looted mine at 400+ runs. Some did on 600+, and I've seen people mention here on forums that they've gone 1000+ or even 2000+ runs without a recipe. I too hate it that almost everything here is based on luck. I mean, you can open one lock by mistake (you dropped your phone and opened a lock) and loot something that's worth more than what I farmed in - what is it now - 4 months since Tombs were released. I'm not sure there is another game like this.
    I am not quitting. Just a bit frustrated atm which lead to me selling my myth bow. :-) Ran t3 7 times with a "nab" bow and honestly there is not much of a difference, so I doubt I will be buying one again. As for the chests I feel you. I know it is just luck and that other people do loot good. I friend looted 1-2-1 (yes a double chest drop) in 3 consecutive runs, so obviously those are still dropping in bulk. Just no for me and apparently for you :-)

Well lets hope for better luck in the future!
    Last edited by Jazzi; 03-08-2015 at 08:11 PM.