Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when the mage doesn't take advantage of a bear's beckon?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I certainly know how to use my skills too good. That is why I love Mastermind. The 100% overkill I am getting with it is addicting. No need for defense when the mob is dead before it can even hit you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Necrobane View Post
    Oh, but something I find MORE annoying is bears that group mobs over fire traps, or archers and mages that freeze mobs while a bear is still rounding them up. *Cough* *Cough* Mitsiun *Cough* LoL jk, but it is really annoying.
    Sorry Persistant, I am getting better with the "round-up" bears in Stronghold lol
    It takes a little to get use to, I am a bird who just run like a chicken chasing mobs
    I dont get to play with many bears / pally often so have limited round-up experience.

But the other night Benaorn opened up my eyes to a brand new roundup experience. And met a crazy full int mage Onameazalur that ran so fast that beyond that I have grouped with in every single map. I seriously need to start playing outside of the box.
    This game is getting more fun for me lol
    Will need to group with you more often so I can learn more =)
    Last edited by MITSUISUN; 03-20-2011 at 03:54 AM.
    Mits - "die like a Mits" - the original noob that hangs around fire for too long
    Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN
    if your party is noobing, chances are you have a mits somewhere.
    Mitsuisun Lv56 full dex bird | Mitsuimoon lv56 full int mage | Mitsuistar str/dex bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN View Post
    Sorry Persistant, I am getting better with the "round-up" bears in Stronghold lol
    It takes a little to get use to, I am a bird who just run like a chicken chasing mobs
    I dont get to play with many bears / pally often so have limited round-up experience.

But the other night Benaorn opened up my eyes to a brand new roundup experience. And met a crazy full int mage Onameazalur that ran so fast that beyond that I have grouped with in every single map. I seriously need to start playing outside of the box.
    You're too nice sometimes Mitsui You have nothing to apologize for. A good bear would have mobs grouped and ready to be killed by the time his teammates got there, instead of blaming others.

Also playing a bird isn't as easy as SOME people might think.
    Last edited by Formora; 03-20-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    PL : Elar - 56 Bird | Jiabli - 55 Mage | Signos - 55 Bear | Nisrok - 21 Bear | Hedice - 21 Bird
    SL : Elar - 25 Operative | Formora - 25 Commando | Signos - 13 Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Formora View Post
    You're too nice sometimes Mitsui You have nothing to apologize for. A good bear would have mobs grouped and ready to be killed by the time his teammates got there, instead of blaming others.

Also playing a bird isn't as easy as SOME people might think.
    Nah it's no blame, I was just trigger and fire happy bird lol

Persistent is awesome bear that I got to now love hanging out with. After all it's really the personalities and character quality that makes this game fun. Even if I had to fever bomb you just to make a point and slow you down to 56
    Mits - "die like a Mits" - the original noob that hangs around fire for too long
    Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN
    if your party is noobing, chances are you have a mits somewhere.
    Mitsuisun Lv56 full dex bird | Mitsuimoon lv56 full int mage | Mitsuistar str/dex bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I really like that there are mages who think about that, cause joining a lot of random games, i got the feeling that most are resistant to advices.

Funny story: Yesterday I joined a hideout run, just three mages between level 48 and 53 and me. In the first room i beckoned the mob to the wall, and waited, and waited, and waited. Those mages stood around, didn't even auto attack. I wrote "Ahem? Nuke em!", one mage answered "You kill, we just heal and res if you die". I actually died from laughing and tried to tell them that there is more to being a mage than that.

But back to the question of the thread: I take my time, beckon and stun a second time after a while, if my team isn't that fast. And when the run is done, I tell them about the beauty of combos and aoe.

And of course, everytime the game of someone, no matter if mage, bear or bird, annoys me, i tell them about this forum. Hopefully they'll read a bit and will try to improve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree with birds not been as easy as it looks. Good birds know how to time thorn wall and a good mage needs to know when they will cast it to use lightning. It gets easier when its a group you play with often. I love when you see combo 3 or 4 times in a row, it makes clearing much easier.

Fire traps can be tricky, I do try to contain myself from not using fire storm and using other skills and rely on my group to clear mobs. But then again I haven't done pugs in a while and they can be a different experience, a lot harder than playing with a good group. For mages using a paladin is a lot easier than playing int or dex since you have to watch out for fire traps all the time because you have no clue which one will one hit kill you.

I love using a staff (except on catacombs) it makes it more challenging and faster for the group, but very very tricky.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wallace View Post
    And of course, everytime the game of someone, no matter if mage, bear or bird, annoys me, i tell them about this forum. Hopefully they'll read a bit and will try to improve.
    Only a small proportion of players read the forums I fear. There are quite a few resistant players I have found too. I have been booted before for giving advice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you. that has caused me about fifty deaths. a careless mage lets loose a fire blast on a fire trap, and the whole party dies. I have also had them do it next to barrels. very annoying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azulflame View Post
    thank you. that has caused me about fifty deaths. a careless mage lets loose a fire blast on a fire trap, and the whole party dies. I have also had them do it next to barrels. very annoying
    Keep this thread on topic please - you've already made a flame thread in the mage section on this.

Edit: I don't mean to single you out on this one, but I do want to keep this thread about solutions when the mage doesn't do their part. Cruel blast and thorn wall only do so much, as does smashing the crowd into a wall.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 03-21-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

It's true, a lousy mage with mistimed spells or even neglect of using spells is really annoying. What's worse is, if the mobs beckoned aren't killed as soon as possible, they tend to disperse again from that compact spot you put them in.

As a bear, the only way I can counter this is by damage potting up (I usually do anyway for those who I play with). That way, no matter how lousy the rest of the group (PUGs, sometimes), they don't have to do much since my combo can usually bring it pretty low - if not dead by crits.

As a bird, same thing unfortunately. I damage pot up and I can usually Thorn Wall + Cruel Blast the mobs easy with/without crit, and they should die if the bear has done his combo too. Then again, you'd need a damage pot to actually make sure they die. If they do live, here come the bird mob's blast shots =/

Phys and I were able to dual the Hideout map within 1 damage pot to show that a bear/bird can do it without a mage :P Wasn't exactly efficient though. Damage pot + normal pots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Elly mages do help with the the thorn/lightning combo. With good birds you can predict when the are gonna use it for maximum effect and it's easy to pull of. A 3 man team with you physio and a Mage can clear a run in less time than a random pug. Maybe you or physio should make a vid showing how that combo works and how to clear bs fast with the use of combos.
    Sig by KLEMEN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Echelong View Post
    Elly mages do help with the the thorn/lightning combo. With good birds you can predict when the are gonna use it for maximum effect and it's easy to pull of. A 3 man team with you physio and a Mage can clear a run in less time than a random pug. Maybe you or physio should make a vid showing how that combo works and how to clear bs fast with the use of combos.
    Oh no doubt they help Ech

I think I read somewhere that Nature Strike gives the highest damage combo, not sure though.

If we had a mage in that group, could probably shave off 30 sec to 1 min easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Oh no doubt they help Ech

I think I read somewhere that Nature Strike gives the highest damage combo, not sure though.

If we had a mage in that group, could probably shave off 30 sec to 1 min easy.
    That is what I have been thinking about the nature strike combo. It does more damage than my hot flash combo and misses less frequently. I know you could do a really fast run with 3 players, you are one of the few bears I dare to use a dmg pot and staff at the same time to make runs faster so I feel a lot safer when a good bear is in the party.
    Sig by KLEMEN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I usually play with random groups; with both my mage and bird my attitude is to run in front of the team, driving the initial contact with group of mobs. After the first/second mobs wave I realize if a bear is a skilled one (by appropriate beaconing / taunting enemies) or a stomp-spreader. In the first case I put myself by bear side and try to coordinate beaconing with my AoE attacks. When it happens (and isn't frequent) it sounds like music.

Ah, syncho isn't easy. Playing as a bird I was disapponted of mages missing Nature Strike opportunities; now I am growing a mage character and the lightning delay plus a medium lag (ping 200-300) gives a successful window of 1 sec for the combo - easy only if we are not healing / launching AoE / refreshing Auto Target / renewing BoM, BoV, Nightmare and Weakness all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is exactly what happens when noobs powerlevel. they finally reach the level cap and still know little to nothing about the game
    New Main- Shooterron lvl 39 pure dex bird

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN View Post

Narilover (56 warbird) introduced me to that sort of play a couple of weeks ago. He'll pot up a tank and speed elixir and let loose a barrel of laughs. It's quite the eye opener for the uninitiated.

This is a pretty good thread that Attack started. As a tank-in-training noob, I appreciate all those points that he and other vets are firing back and forth.
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3 good players with no elixirs can clear a BS map faster than a full group of powerlevels with elixirs, this I guarantee. I don't think I'd be on that 3 man...but if they're taking on a 2nd bear, I'll do followup!
    Foofatooty, 56/Elf - Munobroby, 56/Bear - Tengotengo, 56/Avian - Famlytrucksta, 20something Dog - Oldgerum, 20something Rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
    Ah, syncho isn't easy. Playing as a bird I was disapponted of mages missing Nature Strike opportunities; now I am growing a mage character and the lightning delay plus a medium lag (ping 200-300) gives a successful window of 1 sec for the combo - easy only if we are not healing / launching AoE / refreshing Auto Target / renewing BoM, BoV, Nightmare and Weakness all together.
    Lightning strike can hit in excess of 1,300 unpotted, when it crits. I have seen my mage do it. I believe it is like this:

Lightning strike damage (mine is 262 to 394 unbuffed with 10% chance of crit and with blessings of might, 292 to 424 with 70% chance of crit with blessings of might) is as follows:

(Lightning strike base damage - enemy armor) x Combo from nature strike (x2 I think) x Critical hit (x2 again); so X4 total. In theory, it is possible to hit 1696 without a melee pot, assuming of course that the enemy has been debuffed of all their armor. In practice, 1,400 to 1,500 is the highest I've seen. A hit in excess of 3,000 may be possible with the melee pot.

Can anyone confirm that nature strike doubles lightning damage?

I try hard to synchronize my attacks when I play, but often the results are worse than I'd like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post

Can anyone confirm that nature strike doubles lightning damage?
    As far as I know, combos do an extra roll of the attack that makes it a combo. So if its true, a Nature Strike combo should do x2 of Lightning. I think.. Heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there needs to be better training from the start. I haven't been playing all that long (my mage is L42), but I started a bear a couple of days ago ...

The experience at under Lvl10 is similar to this thread... the mages just stand around. Maybe they use their wands -- or daggers. But they never -- ever -- cast heal. It's the first spell! I followed one around with about 5% health ... and they didn't even cast it on themselves. It takes _two_ seconds to clear cool down. Much cheaper than pots -- especially at that level.

If my bear is tanking, I want a heal now and then. And, while you're at it, blast the 10 mobs that are slicing me to death while you watch on in awe of my superior health and health pot mashing skills.

Ok, maybe it's a little unfair to expect a Lvl 5 to even realize that heal isn't just for them (and I can afford however many pots I need). But that's where we come in... teach 'em! If they learn at Lvl 5 they'll be old hat at helping bears out properly by 55.

(I started a bear because I keep running into situations that can't be solved by 5 mages... but add a good tank in and the situation solves itself. )