Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a nukemage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default a nukemage?

Ok so i want to make a nuker i wanna deal the maximum ammount of damage with the best protection possible how should i allocate my skills? Please explain why. You can use 6 1 1 6 corridence i understand what it means. Just never had a mage
    http://www.plinc.webs.com
    Join us. Conquer all. Simple.
    Naptownblunt-level56 dex bear. Impoorlol-level43 nuker.Xigetpinksx-level25 pure tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

only/best way to be a nuke-ing mage is just all int and use a staff with high damage. gives the skills the most damage they can get. as you can imagine, that does not leave much for defense, hence the name glass cannon.

as for skills... 6 on all offensive and debuffs, and on the crit buff. 1 on ice, just enough for combo, save points for better skills. 1 mana shield since the extra armor is not worth the damage you could give out/heal
    Last edited by Arterra; 03-19-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    only/best way to be a nuke-ing mage is just all int and use a staff with high damage. gives the skills the most damage they can get. as you can imagine, that does not leave much for defense, hence the name glass cannon.

as for skills... 6 on all offensive and debuffs, and on the crit buff. 1 on ice, just enough for combo, save points for better skills. 1 mana shield since the extra armor is not worth the damage you could give out/heal
    Well im all int , so my next question is u said all 6 except ice what about shield? And some of them cant be 6 right so what would that be like 6 6 0 0 or what bro
    Naptownblunt-level56 dex bear. Impoorlol-level43 nuker.Xigetpinksx-level25 pure tank.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

im not going to make one of those annoying charts, sorry. a) you can decide the last couple of points yourself and b) the details i give work well enough.

offensive skills maxed out. my preference (can leave out points on last few): lightning, fire, drainlife, ice storm, ice ball
    heal maxed out
    debuffs maxed out
    the crit buff maxed, the armor buff to at least 4-5, if not maxed out
    mana shield 1
    rev 1

edit: i think this lets you max out all important stuff. leave only one point on those specified, and you can pretty much choose between ices.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    im not going to make one of those annoying charts, sorry. a) you can decide the last couple of points yourself and b) the details i give work well enough.

offensive skills maxed out. my preference (can leave out points on last few): lightning, fire, drainlife, ice storm, ice ball
    heal maxed out
    debuffs maxed out
    the crit buff maxed, the armor buff to at least 4-5, if not maxed out
    mana shield 1
    rev 1

edit: i think this lets you max out all important stuff. leave only one point on those specified, and you can pretty much choose between ices.

Got cha bro thx for the help

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

nuke mages are equally as weak as they are strong. The stronger your offense gets, the weaker your defense gets. Currently the best nuke mage build in the game is a WHOPPING 74 armor, pretty high eh? xD, I am in love with Mastermind armor, never ever been able to get 100% overkill WITHOUT buffs before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    nuke mages are equally as weak as they are strong. The stronger your offense gets, the weaker your defense gets. Currently the best nuke mage build in the game is a WHOPPING 74 armor, pretty high eh? xD, I am in love with Mastermind armor, never ever been able to get 100% overkill WITHOUT buffs before.

Tbh i have no clue lol i just want a bad azz farmer lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

That would be pure int with full mastermind and possibly with dex crown of persistence:

Compare (from Yanis' guide and Mystical's):
    Customized Crown of Persistence Req: Level 56, No req, 14 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 6 H/s, 27 armor
    Mastermind's Gemstone Cowl: 12 Int, 12% Hit, 6% Crit, 4 M/S, 22 Armor

Buffed with a maxed out BOM, this translates into 98 crit, although customized has slightly lower skill damage due to no int bonus. Alternatively, you could go with mastermind for 94 crit. The staff builds give 92 crit with dex helm and 88 crit with mastermind respectively. And the extra armor from the customized helm doesn't hurt either.

Keep in mind:
    Especially with staff - you will be fragile. No charging in front except in low levels. You are a glass cannon. Use your AOE for maximum effect. Expect to die several times if you respec before you get the hang of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    That would be pure int with full mastermind and possibly with dex crown of persistence:

Customized Crown of Persistence Req: Level 56, No req, 14 Dex, 12% Hit, 10% Crit, 6 H/s, 27 armor

Buffed with a maxed out BOM, this translates into 98 crit, although customized has slightly lower skill damage due to no int bonus. Alternatively, you could go with mastermind for 94 crit. The staff builds give 92 crit with dex helm and 88 crit with mastermind respectively. And the extra armor from the customized helm doesn't hurt either.

Keep in mind:
    Especially with staff - you will be fragile. No charging in front except in low levels. You are a glass cannon. Use your AOE for maximum effect. Expect to die several times if you respec before you get the hang of it.
    i like!@! Ty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Full mastermind? What? Talking about max damage here aren't we? Did you check what your spell damages are with mastermind? (as opposed to any mix of mega, scrubbers and scrapers?)
    How can you justify the 30 base damage lost due to mastermind with gained 36hit% over scrubbers for example?

The max damage for a pure int mage currently comes from scubbers and scrapers mix with a 56 dex hat. The exact mix of scrubbers and scrapers depends on what kind of m/s is desired.

Go anywhere from there (e.g. mastermind or mega) and you're trading dmg to armor and whatever happens to please you is where you draw your line.
    Now, I'm not suggesting that trade-off wouldn't be worth it in most cases. It is. Mega staff set for example is a suit capable of good overall pve performance without needing to pot much and still carries immense dmg. But a bandit and gnome kings, for example, really do deserve nothing but the max damage because hardly any armor is needed with either of them buggers.

((For the record, there's seems to be some confusion how the hit% affects the dodge roll and whether hit% above 85% might be needed for enemies with high dodge, like bosses, or not. I'm not certain what the truth of the matter is, but my understanding is that the consensus is that hit% after 85 or so does not translate into damage as well as base damage bonus or crits do. But if that's not correct only then the mastermind's with it's +12 hit could overtake the scrubbers with it's +10dmg while having equal crit bonus. My subjective "feeling" regarding the matter is that +10 base damage bonus is worth more for a pure in than +10% hit assuming the hits are high enough to begin with.))
    Last edited by Hullukko; 03-21-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Made this post on my other thread.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...parisons/page3

For maximum DPS, you may want to consider full Mastermind and a dex helm of persistence. That should give you a very high crit.
    Actually, the Scrubber's set gives a higher DPS, (i'm negating the hit% because it doesn't make a difference when you are already over 100%. and the cap seems to be at 85% anyway)

Check It out. First is the wand comparison with various other equipped items ( I used the Dex helm for all comparisons where crown is noted)

Next is the Staff Comparison

Pretty interesting, I would have thought Mastermind would have been better as well. Keep in mind you sacrifice armor if you go with the Scrubbers items.
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    Full mastermind? What? Talking about max damage here aren't we? Did you check what your spell damages are with mastermind? (as opposed to any mix of mega, scrubbers and scrapers?)
    How can you justify the 30 base damage lost due to mastermind with gained 36hit% over scrubbers for example?

The max damage for a pure int mage currently comes from scubbers and scrapers mix with a 56 dex hat. The exact mix of scrubbers and scrapers depends on what kind of m/s is desired.
    The thing is you are looking at paper figures here - real game results can (and often do) deviate. High crit is very useful at times. It means that when you unload all of your spells simulatenously, you have a very high chance of actually killing the enemy in one volley because all or almost all of your spells will crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    ((For the record, there's seems to be some confusion how the hit% affects the dodge roll and whether hit% above 85% might be needed for enemies with high dodge, like bosses, or not. I'm not certain what the truth of the matter is, but my understanding is that the consensus is that hit% after 85 or so does not translate into damage as well as base damage bonus or crits do. But if that's not correct only then the mastermind's with it's +12 hit could overtake the scrubbers with it's +10dmg while having equal crit bonus. My subjective "feeling" regarding the matter is that +10 base damage bonus is worth more for a pure in than +10% hit assuming the hits are high enough to begin with.))
    There should be no confusion. Hit percentage is capped at 86%. That means with 1000% hit, you'll still hit 86% - enemy dodge %. Any higher than 86% is useless, save in pvp situations where the enemy can debuff you, because you'll still be at the hit cap.

The hit % on mastermind isn't all that useful in pve because as an int mage, you'll already be at the cap.

Edit:
    Admittedly, I use full mega mage, but for different reasons. I believe that the higher base damage is important. However, remember that the OP wants a very powerful farming mage; not necessarily one that will face very high armor characters (which in any case, the OP can switch equipment and even then mastermind will likely out do mega mage). Furthermore, survivability on the mega mage is the best of the mage sets (although enchanted may in a sense beat it, it does not have mana regen, making its usefulness debatable).
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 03-21-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Mastermind DOES have higher DPS, just not on paper. DPS means nothing in this game, most confused and least understood stat in this game for most players. DPS is your potential to hit, not that you actually will hit that per second. If you compare the real DPS of Lowman's and Mastermind, Mastermind would blow Lowman's set out of the water.

Hit percent caps at 86%, but crit doesn't. If any of you haven't noticed, crit is driven by hit percent. So having 133% hit will mean really high crit%. I like mastermind in PvP, because it gives me the ability to hit like a bird. Idk how many times now I have killed a bird and they are just laying there like "wahh... uh... bu.. buu.. what just happened?....." because their not used to having a mage hit them HARDER then another bird could.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

The thing is - they are looking at DPS, possibly the least useful skill on the list for mages. More important is skill damage - the base damage and the chances of critting. Most of an int mage's effective damage will come from their skill's and not their main weapons.

Even in the sewers, if there was a bet between mastermind and mega for effective damage, mastermind for raw DPS will come out on top.

For my playstyle of charging in front, some loss in damage is acceptable. I need that extra armor so that I can last. But if you stay to the rear or you are pro enough to kill before you sustain serious damage - well ... things can be different. Speaking of which, Pharcyde - do you think mastermind outdoes the Mega mage in pvp?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Yes and no - I have never ever been one shotted in pvp before, happened in mastermind yesterday. I have 400 hp, bird hit a 421.......... But when I did survive more than 2 shots, I would leave players with dropped jaws. Fastest kill a mage can ever get.

Then, MM, I do about as good as I did back when keeper was "like a boss" armor in pvp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I haven't been doing much pvp lately; need to level my bird.

My tactic has always been to buff, mana shield. As soon as I can, cast drain life and frostbite (still working on getting the timing right- I want to start just as the enemy hits the 12m range). IF I survive, I the drain life alone can often finish a bird (70% chance of crit in mega mage). Unfortunately, the hard part is surviving long enough.

Are you using staff or wand/bracer with mastermind and mega mage? I've debated between the merits of the two.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Wand/Bracer should NEVER be used in PvP. All about max damage in the PvP world .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    Wand/Bracer should NEVER be used in PvP. All about max damage in the PvP world .
    I have been using mainly wand and bracer. When I start PvPing more, I'm going to test out staff. I'm debating between the gem blast and gemstone right now though.

Edit: Speaking of which, several elite PvP players will disagree with you on that wand/bracer vs. staff, especially many pallys and hybrid ints.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 03-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Pally's should be using bear gear, hybrid ints do no damage. Not to sound mean here, but hybrid ints are pretty bad in pvp. Almost as squishy as a mage, and so little damage.

For us mages, armor isn't a big factor in PvP. Bracer or not, many birds can still crush you in the same exact amount of time. Your only hope is to take them out before they take you out, hence, max damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Here is the skill damage comparing the two (mega mage sets):

Gemstone Wand + Bracer:

Min, Max, Average
    Weapon DPS 179 224 202
    Heal 133 271 202
    Frostbite 209 267 238
    Ice Storm 159 195 177
    Firestorm 275 389 332
    Lightning 262 394 328
    Drain Life 305 450 377.5

Gemstone Staff:

Min, max, average:
    Weapon DPS 226 264 223
    Heal 131 267 199
    Frostbite 253 310 281.5
    Ice Storm 204 239 221.5
    Firestorm 318 430 374
    Lightning 306 435 370.5
    Drain Life 348 490 419

I'm going to be putting all of this together. I had been planning a guide last week, but I was too busy.