Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AOE mages, WATCH WHERE YOU GO BOMBING!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry AOE mages, WATCH WHERE YOU GO BOMBING!!!!!

Anybody that has played in Balefort Castle Coblin Stronghold could relate to this. The mages that have AOE attacks (lvl 10+) need to watch where they put their stormes. i have been killed by a careless mage that doesn't watch where she places a fire storm. whenever it is put near a barrel or a fire trap, a lot of people in the party die, i have been killed probably 50 times that way, and it is really making me mad. If my mage can watch where she is going and not detonate a fire trap, then yours can too!

not trying to troll or flame, just trying to keep my death count down

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Every class does this, I can't tell you how many times I got barrel blasted by a careless bear or bird. Not just mages who are guilty of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, but i have noticed it by far the most with mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i know, but most of the mages i see don't care. that is why i almost never use auto attack. i usually detonate stuff near enemies and the other side in pvp. then, i know how to make a show

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Wait until you get higher level, all 3 classes are just as lazy, useless, and care free. It's not the class, it's the people your playing with. Thats why you should find good friends or groups of people to play with, that way you don't have to deal with your average public match idiot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it kinda takes a lot to make them blow up faster than they're supposed to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Many good players have different playing styles and when they come together in a PUG...well kAboom.

I personally try to lead the group as we come upon barrels so I can explode them before everyone gets too close and then we have a little more leeway to fire away. my mana shield covers any blast and my regen rate replenishes my mana. That allows me to better work with my team with my better forms of attack.

The problem of course is when others have a different idea and don't understand what I am doing and then rush into the blast before I realize they are there. I then heal them and/or Rez them and rebuff them. Not sure why kill/death ratios are a big deal, but to some they are. The best way to run in a PUG is to not assume everyone plays the game the same way you do. There are many ways to play well, not just one way. You should always study how the other players in the group play as you run through the map. It is a true sign of a good player who can adjust their styles to work best with whoever you are with and to calmly and kindly teach others.

Again, people have no patience with others...I leave any map where one of the players start maligning everyone for not doing things "the right way". That is the sign of a prima donna not a leader.

Tiliana - 54 Pure Int Mage & Atilian - 21 Pure Dex Archer
    Spamming the heals and living the dream once again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'm going to come out and say I do this all the time. Go ahead and flame me please

I think it's actually a bear's responsibility to make sure the fight doesn't happen over a fire grate. A lot of bears are just too timid about rounding up mobs. They walk 3 steps until they're barely level with the first 3 mobs, then immediately beckon them even if they're right on top of a fire grate. At that point my choices as mage are a) attack and get the grate too or b) don't fight, or perhaps use single target attacks only which is pretty much the equivalent (seriously does anyone ever do that, other than with cockroach after the bins respanwed?). I don't attack grates or barrels if there's no one around, but if the fight ends up over a grate because that's where the tank decided to put it, the grate is gonna get attacked too.

Mobs in BS maps have pretty long leashes for a reason. As a bear the thing to do is run ahead until you're past the fire traps and find a good place to gather the mobs, like at the end of the corridor. Also you can detonate barrels with beckon and if you do it from across the corridor from them you don't even get injured - I try to do this ahead of time if I think the fight will be so close to the barrels that they'll end up blowing up. (And I'm not just trying to lay blame on a class other than mine - I actually play my bear more than my mage these days).

Oh yeah and btw, don't play with me if you're worried about your k/d ratio. :P I do try to keep people alive and I actually cringe inside every time someone dies and I'm tank. But for me this game was meant to be played and I'll always aim for farming efficiency rather than minimizing deaths. Oh and my k/d is pretty awful on all my alts, I'm sure, but I can't say I've checked recently or really care.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Just for kicks, I put on a damage pot today, went over to a grate clear of enemies, and attacked it with all my might using a high crit/high damage equip combo. It did not explode prematurely. I did this many times as well, up to 5 minutes and not a single time it exploded.

What gives?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hate it when that happens too.. worse still, sometimes some players for god knows what reason shoot the barrel when there are no enemies around at all, while me or other team members are just running past it. -_-

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal.. Love leaves a memory no one can steal..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Just for kicks, I put on a damage pot today, went over to a grate clear of enemies, and attacked it with all my might using a high crit/high damage equip combo. It did not explode prematurely. I did this many times as well, up to 5 minutes and not a single time it exploded.

What gives?
    Competing interests. Some players tend to play very conservatively. They want the lowest amount of deaths possible and everything else is a lower priority. Others like yourself, me, and Kalielle want maximum damage output, quick runs, and the highest kills in a given amount of time. We tend to take risks, charge in, and do things that other players find disagreeable, such as use abilities near fire vents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Competing interests. Some players tend to play very conservatively. They want the lowest amount of deaths possible and everything else is a lower priority. Others like yourself, me, and Kalielle want maximum damage output, quick runs, and the highest kills in a given amount of time. We tend to take risks, charge in, and do things that other players find disagreeable, such as use abilities near fire vents.
    Actually I just wanted to test out what amount of damage or combo actually sets off grates but was unable to reproduce a "premature grate explosion" with my bird :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I notice grates only go kaboom prematurely when the fire/smoke is alreay big. When it's barely smoking, you can aoe all you want and it won't go off.
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Actually I just wanted to test out what amount of damage or combo actually sets off grates but was unable to reproduce a "premature grate explosion" with my bird :/
    Blast shot over a grate will do it in many cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Blast shot over a grate will do it in many cases.
    Are you certain about this?

From my findings, a grate explosion is exactly 4 seconds from the moment the tinge of fire appears to the actual explosion where damage is incurred. In-between explosion time actually is variable anywhere from 5 seconds to 7 seconds.

I used grates from Stronghold and Swill Pitz; all enemies were cleared before the experiment took place. I timed the grate explosion using my own voice and Acoustica to record (saying start and stop). In all instances, the grate explosion was 4 seconds if I did not attack the grate at all. I then attacked the grate using a 2x damage pot far from the grate for the full duration of the pot; every single skill was used and spammed but the grate's explosion was still 4 seconds. I then used a tanker's pot and a 2x damage pot and stood right on top of the grate and spammed my skills, but every single instance the grate was still on the 4 second timer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Good old physiologic - wise as yoda - cool as a ninja
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    Wait until you get higher level, all 3 classes are just as lazy, useless, and care free. It's not the class, it's the people your playing with. Thats why you should find good friends or groups of people to play with, that way you don't have to deal with your average public match idiot.
    I love the last four words of this quote
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyone else just get a visual of Physiologic sitting in his apartment surrounded by tech gear and pepsi cans yelling out START......STOP.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Are you certain about this?

From my findings, a grate explosion is exactly 4 seconds from the moment the tinge of fire appears to the actual explosion where damage is incurred. In-between explosion time actually is variable anywhere from 5 seconds to 7 seconds.

I used grates from Stronghold and Swill Pitz; all enemies were cleared before the experiment took place. I timed the grate explosion using my own voice and Acoustica to record (saying start and stop). In all instances, the grate explosion was 4 seconds if I did not attack the grate at all. I then attacked the grate using a 2x damage pot far from the grate for the full duration of the pot; every single skill was used and spammed but the grate's explosion was still 4 seconds. I then used a tanker's pot and a 2x damage pot and stood right on top of the grate and spammed my skills, but every single instance the grate was still on the 4 second timer.
    When you attack it, there is a probability of it exploding. I have died before when there were enemies over the grate and a friendly archer used blast shot, causing the grate to explode, killing me and several bandit boys.

The mage spell fire blast is the worst offender and possibly the most likely to trigger it, hence the OP's anger. Perhaps this is because of it's wide blast radius (12m blast AOE, damages all enemies around it and can combo with ice storm for "hot flash"). I do not know whether the presence of enemies increases the probability of it exploding though. It certainly is possible. Another theory I have is the proximity of the caster to the grate causes the probability (and damage output of the grate) to increase as the caster gets closer to the grate. Furthermore, for bears, stomping and taunting near the grate has been known to trigger explosions. Someone else told me that that using thorn wall on an enemy that is directly above the centre of the grate may cause an explosion too when the flame starts.

I think Physiologic, we may want to create a separate thread to discuss this matter further as I do not wish to hijack this thread.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 03-20-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by karmakali View Post
    Anyone else just get a visual of Physiologic sitting in his apartment surrounded by tech gear and pepsi cans yelling out START......STOP.....
    It is pretty creepy when I think of myself testing in 3rd person perspective

In any case, I may make a new thread on this whole grate problem. Soloing as an archer I was unable to re-create the premature grate explosion, so perhaps there are a lot of other factors at play.