Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Call of Champions Alpha Eligibility

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    Guys, keep in mind that this is ALPHA TESTING, not a "can you hang with the Professionals" competition.

The purpose of early alpha testing is to evaluate game mechanics, troubleshoot core gaming issues, provide feedback on gameplay, latency, playability, leveling, enjoyment, etc.

This is not a contest to just to see who is top dog in a pre-release Moba.

As such, players should be selected based on how they can evaluate the metrics and mechanics of the game. This does not exclude AL's top PvP-ers per-se, but stay focused on the purpose of what an alpha test is supposed to be about...
    pretty much why I didn't put much emphasis on AL PvP level of pro in my criterias. We're testing and having fun. there must a ranking aswell. If we're choosing Titans, then let's try to find out who is titan from the beginning!

Justg, I am aiming for Titan :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

IMHO, being in a Legends game leaderboard is hardly proof of any PvP experience. Primarily because the lack of moderation (and attention in general) in the previous games has allowed killfarming and botting to go unpunishable. This is coming from lengthy personal experience. Secondly, on AL, because the game is rotating around gear and cliques/guilds controlling the PvP rooms and definitely not skill. Again, this is coming from top-tier geared semi-active player that's been playing AL since s2. Overall, the only thing being on LB shows is that the said player has put in a lot of time. And that's about it.

Moving on to the actual criteria:
    -Communication Skills
    Anyone willing to participate must be able to effectively communicate with the devs and clearly get their points across. Fluent use of the english language is necessary. For example, forum community leaders are proven to fill this requirement.

-Basic MOBA Experience
    CoC is quite a simple game in my opinion hence there's no real need for those heavy DOTa/LoL requirements. I understand there have to be some sort of requirements to cut down the sheer volume of applications though.

-Alpha/Beta Testing Experience
    Especially at the beginning of the alpha, there will probably be a need for ample testing in order to assist and provide the devs with suggestions and error reports. This way all those people eager to get their hands on the game will enjoy the finalised product with the least amount of irritating details.

I'd like to nominate GoodSyntax and myself (Madnex). Although my name's been suggested thrice already and got numerous PM's on the topic outside of the game, I'd like to highlight that I'm not (yet) sold by the new game's concept but rather interested in taking part for bug/exploit testing. Been with STS since Q2 of '11. Here's a few topics we've made to showcase the in-depth, analytical look we take on game mechanisms:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?147850 - Eye Opening Research on Buffs Mechanics (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?175820 - Planar Arena Feedback (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?167741 - Farming Suggestions (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?147373 - Solo Guide Compedium (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?120863 - Spread Some Knowledge Contest (AL)

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?158141 - Complete Bug List (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?212529 - Armor/Damage Reduction Analysis (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?191716 - Specific Stun Issue Analysis (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?157892 - Flawed Buff/Debuff Mechanics (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?152113 - Glitch Challenges Contest (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?138154 - Weakness Research (AL)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?164330 - Complete Bug List (SL)

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

Guys, keep in mind that this is ALPHA TESTING, not a "can you hang with the Professionals" competition.

The purpose of early alpha testing is to evaluate game mechanics, troubleshoot core gaming issues, provide feedback on gameplay, latency, playability, leveling, enjoyment, etc.

As such, players should be selected based on how they can evaluate the metrics and mechanics of the game. This does not exclude AL's top PvP-ers per-se, but stay focused on the purpose of what an alpha test is supposed to be about...
    But really it is Kali, they already hosted a live tourney and streamed it!!!! I think the bug squashing is only a part of it. I think for 'alpha' you need player with two things: 1. Ability to PvP and learn these skills quick and 2. Ability to communicate in a productive way back to the devs. When they open the rest of the testing then you can have a broader mix of players testing for enjoyment, etc.

Hey if you want to get in on the Alpha I am 100% behind you on it Kali you would be AMAZING!!!! I just didn't put your name down because I wasn't sure on your time frame to commit to it.

When it's PvP nab time I want in though, lol.

StS if you guys host a PvP tournament for who gets Alpha WHOOO!!!!!!!! That would be so awesome. Really fun stuff. I see two things to consider:

1. Make requirements for who can enter. For example X amount of kills already in PvP, positive KDR, and a certain amount of forum posts
    2. Level the playing field. You will have to allow the tourney to run w/ limited arcanes so it's fair. You know how it goes! Prolly no nekro or SnS either, that totally throws those games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

Yep Madnex would also be great. Really he's amazing PvP player, the guy goes in on secret toons not even gear equipped on every slot and well... he's a baddie. Also a known bug squasher.

Add Madnex & Goodsyntax to my nominations!!!!!!

(but make them do a PvP tourney just for giggles!!!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raregem View Post
    Honestly IMO in AL PvP it is hard to measure who is "pro". You have your kill farmers, gangers and spawners.

I don't think the LB are a sure way to judge who should be able to participate. For example someone who spawned killed their way up on the lb and constantly leaves matches to keep a good K/D ratio proves they are better just because they are on the lb?(I am not saying that all or even half of lb players do this) This leaves the person who actually has deaths and fights out the matches sitting in the corner because they choose not to spawn people and didn't run at the first sign of death.

If there is an AL PvP tourney for this then all the players need to be provided gear from Sts weapon-pendant. No gems allowed and everyone should have to use the same pet (Malison maybe). That puts everyone on equal footing and will give a chance to show true skill vs who has 8 paras, 4 eyes and a nekro.
    I couldn't have put it better myself. Thank you for stressing this out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Picking the best of best as it relates to skill in pvp for this test is essential. STG needs to not only workout potential bugs but determine potential tweaks and adjustments based on the highest level of game play. If the ones testing the game struggle with adapting to the game itself it will be near impossible to determine where game play related tweaks need to be made.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Hey,

The posts above me have suggested a tournament with STS-sponsored gear to determine who are really the reigning champions. But what kind of tournament will it be? 1v1? Clash? If a team game, does one pick teams and the winning team move on?

Personally if there is to be a tourney I'm all in favor of clashes. 1v1s are too unpredictable. There is the set class balance rules, first of all - Mage > Rogue > Warrior > Mage. And class vs class wouldn't be much fun. Mage vs. mage 1v1 is basically who crits more now if equal geared. Same with rogue vs. rogue. Warrior vs. warrior let's not even go into. Those of us who PvP know how fun that is.

But the idea of a tournament to pick out the winners appeals to me. Suppose we all get to pick our teams and get gear sponsored by STS (nothing that exists outside the game. Perhaps imbueds, planar amulet, arcane ring, etc. - and on the other end of the spectrum, full commons) and no pet. Hell, suppose the participants get to play in the test server so they cannot keep their gear or use other ones. Then we could have a regular tournament. The winning team and the runner up could proceed to the Alphas.

And then there should be restrictions to enter, like you have to be voted by the community based on your achievements, how well you handle bug reports, your prowess in PvP, your KDR, how strong you are in PvP regardless of gear disadvantages/advantages, and so on.

--

I won't kid myself and nominate myself here, lol. I know I'm not very good at PvP at all and I don't mind. I also know I don't have the time and/or dedication to put hours into testing for a new game in its development stages. Nor do I have a good mobile device to play fast paced games (which is why I only ever play AL on PC).

I choose to nominate the following players who are, in my opinion, outstanding performers in AL, both in understanding game mechanics and reporting bugs.

• Kalizza (GoodSyntax)
    • Asphy (Madnex)
    • Ravagerx
    • Serancha

And no offense to the more popular choices I haven't picked...they'll probably get into alpha regardless of whether or not I hop into the bandwagon!

Alhunt

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alhuntrazeck For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Hosting a tournament would do three things:

1. Show who really holds up to their application's words. Anyone can write - action is quite another story.
    2. Show who is willing to put in the effort towards Alpha testing.
    3. Alleviate some of the boredom before the new expansion release!
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

I would like to join

Why me?

I will be happy to test this game out, and report bugs
    I am a very old player + sts games are my favourites
    I will invite my in real life friends to this game
    I learn how to play games pretty quickly

Many people are applying for an invite, and i hope to get one also

-Productive

For God's SAKE! lvl 15 armor and helm (rare) for tank
    The guy who scored 4m 20s 420ms in Elite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Hi Justg and Spactime! It's been awhile sense I have shown myself around your forums. I find the prospect of you creating a MOBA very interesting and quite exciting. Mainly because I believe you will create a quality game, and so I would love to be a part of help develope it. I left the MMO scene awhile ago because I've becoming totally enveloped in MOBAs. Playing LoL, Vainglory, Fates Forever, Solstice Arena, and Heros of Order and Chaos. As far as the mobile MOBAs go I play Vainglory the most, mainly because the controls are the most intuitive. Otherwise I stick mostly to League of Legends.

Reasons I should be considered for alpha:
    1. I have spent many hours and days on these forums and in your games helping players and creating competitions/guides.
    2. I am an extremely active gamer who has the time to put into helping develope Call of Chapions.
    3. I am quite experianced in the MMO genre.
    4. While I do not twitch very often I do/can twitch and youtube content when permitted by Spacetime.
    5. I consider myself skilled at coming up with ideas or enhancing others.
    6. I am a "Defence Council" member for a game called Dungeon Defenders 2. Which granted me alpha access and let me have input into their game. Meaning I already understand how the process works and am up for the job.

I look forward to this MOBA whether I obtain alpha or not,
    -Vys

P.S. Shout out to all my Old AL friends and AFers!
    Last edited by Vystirch; 04-08-2015 at 11:38 AM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vystirch For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

A tournament may work for one aspect, but just because somebody can win a couple of matches on a single day does not mean they know anything at all about testing, have the ability to communicate issues well in a language the devs understand, and have the integrity to put the game development over their own desire for glory.

Tracking down, testing and reporting bugs, as well as providing feedback on game flow and usability, are skills that are totally separate from playing a pvp tournamet in a game like AL.

That being said, if you look at the history of official tournaments in Arcane Legends, there are names that appear on most, if not all of those lists. Such people may not have won the tournaments and may not be on the pvp leaderboard, but they show a long-standing dedication to the game and all aspects of it. I am one of these people.

I am not going to waste time bragging about my skills and talents, since I figure STS likely knows well enough who I am by now. I've been nominated by a few people on this thread, and just want to say that this is something I'd be very interested in, as a long-standing competitive player who is very active in the testing and bug squashing player base.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Because I'm a total STG no-lifer. And proud. I've got years invented in this franchise and would like to, scratch that, would absolutely LOVE to be one of the lucky few who get to have a major roll in this games release! Either way I'm beyond excited for this new title and am happy for you guys at STS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish to also be considered because first off this would be a landmark of an achievment of being a fan of spacetime games/studios and i played arcane legends since the beginning, also before i got a job i was very active in the forums, plus i work at home now so time would not be an issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I want in! I like pvp! I like trying new things!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Huskybird For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Hosting a tournament would do three things:

1. Show who really holds up to their application's words. Anyone can write - action is quite another story.
    2. Show who is willing to put in the effort towards Alpha testing.
    3. Alleviate some of the boredom before the new expansion release!
    A tournament SOUNDS cool for SOME of the places,like perhaps the best 2 tiers would have to fight to get in, and the "worst" tier gets picked based on ability to report bugs, time spent with sts, and such.
    i would not recommend it for ALL alpha test spots.
    5 questions/problems though, about how the tournament would go...

1. What about PL players/outsiders, unfair for them if we have a AL tournament rigth?
    2. Timezones would make it hard to base it all on a tournament, because some people would have to fight late at night and have bad reflexes and stuff like that, and people would be at work.
    3. How would they give out this "fair gear" would the server go down to gift it, and then go down again to remove it?
    What if someone gems it with their plat? would it be tradeable?
    4. AL COMPUTER pvp shows nothing on how good you are at a mobile MOBA, so well that would change the accuracy of the fights.
    5. their pvp skill doesnt show their skill to break down and find bugs.
    Thats all my questions/problems with a pvp tournament.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

A tournament in AL will prove your skills at AL PvP. It's a MOBA, not CTF.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragoonclaws For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoonclaws View Post
    Couldnt have said it better. What they REALY should be looking for is experianced MOBA players, active gamers and forumers. People who can make clear and concise posts and help squash bugs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    311 Posts

Default Call of Champions Alpha Eligibility

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoonclaws View Post
    Agreed. MOBAs are vastly different than other PvP games in terms of general strategy. Some parts like reaction time and positioning carry over, but MOBA fighting requires coordination on multiple levels of decision making and map play/rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vystirch View Post
    Couldnt have said it better. What they REALY should be looking for is experianced MOBA players, active gamers and forumers. People who can make clear and concise posts and help squash bugs.
    And wb btw, agreed here too

Visit my Youtube Channel! Here--> Terrainrob's Videos of Everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto077 View Post
    Agreed. MOBAs are vastly different than other PvP games in terms of general strategy. Some parts like reaction time and positioning carry over, but MOBA fighting requires coordination on multiple levels of decision making and map play/rotations.

And wb btw, agreed here too
    For AL, there are many types of players. We can be an elite farmer, a PvP player, a nab, and someone who doesn't want to respec (so uses same spec everywhere). If a game is PvP specific, people will play PvP and be pros at it. You learned to be a good PvP or good PvE in AL, SL, PL, DL. Same will happen in CoC. We're looking for people who are already pros. I've only seen people telling why they should be in the AlphaTest, there is not much talking about the criterias other then reporting bugs and PvP tournament. We're trying to differentiate Titans from Heros.

I am not very familiar with the PvP pros of AL, PL and SL. I can find many names in the already done Tournaments and post them here, but we can all do that. People naming their best friends and best PvP people they know. We're talking MOBA, then let's talk MOBA.

The best to tell who is titan and who is legend, is to test game first and place people on that leaderboard. The point with the Tournament is to tell who's better then the other and class people. AL tournament, no. MOBA testing and tournament, yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Hi Adrian,

Following up from the PM I sent you, I'd like to formally (and briefly) apply to be a Call of Champions Alpha tester. I'll give you a few reasons why I think I am qualified, and you as well as the result of the forum members can assess these qualifications.

1) AL PvP/PvE Experience: I have been playing AL since S1, and started PvPing during S2 and haven't stopped since. My experience in CTF and TDM is quite extensive. I mention that I have PvE experience because as a timed runner who has held records in every type of map in Arcane Legends (Hauntlet, Watcher's Tombs, Kraag Tombs, Kraken Mines, and a variety of Elite Maps), I can tell you that I have a high attention to detail. Be this in PvE or PvP, anyone who has played with me knows this fact. I notice things that other people overlook. So, as an Alpha Tester, I believe that I would be able to use this mind-set to point out things that others wouldn't necessarily notice.
    2) Forum Activity: As an Alpha tester, a person needs to be able to communicate what they're seeing so that a developer can understand and fix the problem. Being active on the forums for the last 6 months or so I've proven that I can make well written posts that are logical, objective, and easy to follow. I may not have the ability to screen record, but screenshots and write-ups are just as useful, if not more useful/feasible.
    3) Related Work Experience: I may not have extensive programming experience, but for a job I actually work closely with developers and have learned to understand their process of developing software, which entails things like development, testing, defect logging and management, etc. I could leverage this experience quite easily as an Alpha Tester, and it would only help me at work!

I do hope that many of the players applying here understand that although this will be a fun thing to do, it will be a good amount of work. And I would like to behoove you to keep in mind that there are players who would may this privileged information and use it to their advantage - which has been done in Arcane Legends in the past by some of the very players who have applied before me. So, some sort of contractual agreement is necessary IMO.

Anyway, as an Alpha tester I'd be able to leverage this experience my in game experience, my ability to communicate effectively and objectively, and my work experience.

And just as an observation... it does seem like this is becoming a popularity contest with people nominating their own friends. But hey that's just what it seems like to me.
    Last edited by raw; 04-08-2015 at 01:35 PM.