Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bow Bear Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Love dexbears since I am one, thanks fir the tip about not going full dex, I used to be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Also max dps weapon for dexbear is snipers scissor slicers (dual wield)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elyseon View Post
    Also max dps weapon for dexbear is snipers scissor slicers (dual wield)
    Sentinel Swords work better. Don't they?
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    Sentinel Swords work better. Don't they?
    There are some bears out there who swear by DPS. There's this bear that I sometimes meet. His config when he fights bosses? Raid roach helm, raid roach leather, and sentinel slicers. He said he wouldn't even craft his raid roach stuff and rather eat more potions then suffer the DPS loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Not too familiar with the dual weapons/daggers, since I avoid them entirely. I did remember seeing one bear with 406 DPS unbuffed though, idk what weapon he was wearing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Get full henchman and buff with rage maxed out. In any event, all 50+ bears should have 6 rage.

Henchman dagger set I think gives the highest. Here is Mysticaldream's bird with a high DPS dagger set. For best results, I've been told that crushing blow needs to be maxed. Hopefully if you are in a good team, the birds are spamming break armor. Probably use this as well:

Magician's Fine Platinum Band Lv20, 67 Dex; 2% Hit, 10 Damage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Get full henchman and buff with rage maxed out. In any event, all 50+ bears should have 6 rage.

Henchman dagger set I think gives the highest. Here is Mysticaldream's bird with a high DPS dagger set. For best results, I've been told that crushing blow needs to be maxed. Hopefully if you are in a good team, the birds are spamming break armor. Probably use this as well:

Magician's Fine Platinum Band Lv20, 67 Dex; 2% Hit, 10 Damage
    Crushing Blow is for reducing armour?

I've heard Fluff say that Hell Scream, Crushing Blow, and SMS all reduce armour by 10 each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Not too sure - just passing along second hand knowledge here. Either way, for the DPS to be truly effective, the target needs to be armor debuffed aggressively. Otherwise, just switch to strength and get out the Gurgox Hammer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Not too sure - just passing along second hand knowledge here. Either way, for the DPS to be truly effective, the target needs to be armor debuffed aggressively. Otherwise, just switch to strength and get out the Gurgox Hammer.
    Agree.

I'm still entirely for base damage over DPS, but to be on the DPS side, then maximum armour reduction is definitely needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

One final variable to consider is the skill damage. I will need to get some daggers to test

If it turns out that the daggers add a lot of skill damage, then the answer isn't so clear once again. Super mega and vengeful spam could add up, even if the effective weapons damage is less.

I should also mention this to anyone who reads this thread (Ellyidol undoubtedly realizes this): If you do choose daggers against boss, you will be melee just like with strength weapons and will be accepting a significant loss in survivability. Dex gear doesn't offer the same level of protection as strength gear and dual daggers is particularly vulnerable, which is why birds largely reject it. IF you are using daggers, it means that you are a dex bear or a dual-spec and not as tanky as your strength bear counterparts are as well to begin with. All bears are expected to tank (it's just like how all mages are expected to heal and res - it doesn't matter if you're with an int, str, pally, or dex mage, you expect them to heal regularly and to res you if you die), and against a boss, you will be expected to get in front of the boss and hold the aggro, regardless of whether you are a str bear or a dex bear. Whether you wish to accept a loss in survivability when doing so is entirely your decision, but bear in mind the risks that you are taking when using daggers.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 04-09-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thanks Elly for another great guide!

Ah. So it's more like -lead group>beckon mobs to corner>step behind mob>stomp>unleash all slashes>snipe stragglers while running to next mob
    Damn! Now everyone knows what I do all day! ;-)

Basically, I want to dual spec since it seems fun, but i don't want to hurt my tanking ability.
    I think you can't really tell a big difference between dual bear and full str bear when wearing the same gear. Tanking works pretty much the same. But when in doubt, watch Ellyidols video, then there should be no questions about tanking abilities left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

@Skill Damage

True, I haven't tested it yet. I'll have to check how it actually fairs when it comes to skill damage, but my gut answer would be it'd be really low. Just guessing though, will confirm

@Wallace

I doubt anything here is new to you, you're one of the most experienced Bow Bears I've come across.

But in regard to the dual spec and tanking issue, I agree, I don't see much of a difference between pure str tanking and dual spec tanking, especially since you are using the same gear which most of your tankiness comes from.

The benefit you gain from adding dex instead of strength outweighs the benefit of going pure str.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Alright I did some testing on my bear using a Full Henchman Dagger+Wing and a 1 Crit 11 Damage Ring.

As for skill damage, it was actually higher than my usual str setup, and a bit short from my mob clearing dex setup (Dex Crown, Bagman Autobow, SK Leather, 1 Dodge 9 Armour Ring). It (the dagger set) only lost about 10-15 skill damage vs my mob clearing dex setup, and thats a Dagger vs a 2H Autobow. But when I use my boss-killing setup (RR Cap, Bagman's Recurve, Bagman's Leather, 1 Crit 11 Damage Ring), I could notice a bigger difference in skill damage.

However, I noticed that the high skill damage came from the Henchman bonuses more than the dagger itself. When I tried to mix and match between armour pieces, replaced Henchman pieces with Dex Crown, Bagmans Dagger, Bagmans Leather, and Gutter Wing (wanted high crits), that's when I saw my skills drop by about 50 skill damage. That is also when I realised that the damage bonus of armours (+12 each piece from Henchman) contributed directly to skill damage, which would explain the 50 damage drop when I unequipped the Henchman Set (-48 direct damage).

I was focusing on highest damage though, which doesn't necessarily mean it has the best damage, since crit would be a better option.

These were my stats as Full Dex, Henchman Dagger+Wing Set, 1 Crit 11 Damage Ring :

Unbuffed :

Level 6 Rage On :

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    @Wallace

I doubt anything here is new to you, you're one of the most experienced Bow Bears I've come across.
    ohhh yes Elly lol.

Wally is like the one of the quickest bear I got to group with on my mage recently, I was just going to mention to Elly / Wally that wow. I want to put you 2 into a competition and record a video behind you guys lol.

Never seen/met a bear with Full RR Talon/shield and boy is Mr.Wallace fast, I always call him the speedy bear hehe

I am inspired by this thread and since now it's time for my bear, I am going to raise a speedy/tanky/bowy/roundy/daggy bear, be sure on the lookout for Mitsuistar~~
    Mits - "die like a Mits" - the original noob that hangs around fire for too long
    Quote Originally Posted by MITSUISUN
    if your party is noobing, chances are you have a mits somewhere.
    Mitsuisun Lv56 full dex bird | Mitsuimoon lv56 full int mage | Mitsuistar str/dex bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Another awesome guide. After reading this I'm going with a dex/str bear. Sounds like having the option to tank or go for damage is the way to go with my new bear. Thanx again for this guide.
    Owner of the darkavenger franchise.

Check all my characters out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Avenger View Post
    Another awesome guide. After reading this I'm going with a dex/str bear. Sounds like having the option to tank or go for damage is the way to go with my new bear. Thanx again for this guide.
    Let us know if you have any questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Let us know if you have any questions
    Should it not be "me" instead of "us" ? I just wonder ^^
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KaotiicxDream View Post
    Should it not be "me" instead of "us" ? I just wonder ^^
    Anybody can answer or post their opinions and suggestions even if I wrote the guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Anybody can answer or post their opinions and suggestions even if I wrote the guide
    Okay ^^ I was just thinking it sounded like something a Dev could say.. Like: If you are having more troubles connecting let "US" know.^^

P.S. I re speced my Bear a week ago and made it to an Attack Bear ^^
    Hello peeps