Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warrior disadvantage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Come to think of it, how does pure strength bear with say, sewer plate and helm with fury 1-handed and shield fare in pvp these days?The problem is, you can't kill them that easily because your damage is not that great, although it is somewhat mitigated by the higher skill damage. Durable though - probably the hardest build to kill in the game.
    Personally haven't tried that set up, but from my tankiest setup with my Str/Dex build, avians can one shot me in two ways.

If I'm unbuffed, or even if I am buffed but all their skills crit.

A normal encounter, I could live through 2 attempted combos. If I'm lucky with dodge, 3.

That's 1:1 though, the moment 2 avians are on me, dead no matter what.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

The real question is though - do you stand a chance of realistically killing a skilled bird player with a pure strength bear? If you close the distance, maybe root, hit them with crippling blow followed by a slash? They would however likely repulse. Well, they say that the bird is the king of pvp ... that doesn't look like it's about to change any time soon.

Looking at it, I'd still lean in favour of a dex bear with a crossbow. It seems much more likely to come out on top in a bird encounter, even if it is less durable. In fact, the raid roach set may arguably be a better fit for bears than bows. First, the low mana regen isn't as big a hindrance, and bears are more durable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Pure str vs bird - I think the bird will win most of the time. If you factor in player skill too, assuming the bear knows how to combo well in pvp, the bird would also know how to kite well.

With my dex in the build, I already see it miss beckons at times, so I can't imagine how hard it'll be for a str bear to actually land one. Maybe if you manage to get to point blank range and land all the debuffs, maybe.

Actually the crossbow bear is really difficult in pvp, especially vs birds and mages. Their range is just really devasting for me. The only range I can match them with is my normal attacks, if I use an auto bow. Other than that, mages have drain life and that single frost skill that'll just bring my hp way down, and leave me easy for a lightning and fire blast.

For a bird, although it is easier to kill them if all goes well - 3 normal shots with auto bow if rage is on, their skills are also the hardest to keep away from. I barely, close to don't, survive a bird in pvp if I face them head-on, especially if all their skills hit. The only thing that allows me to kill them is timing. Either ninja them from another direction, being able to kite their attacks with your normal attacks, or just have enough dodges on their skills while still being able to combo them.

But more so, mages are more difficult to deal with than birds, IMO. Birds I can usually one beckon and combo, mages live through because of their shield.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 04-04-2011 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

It seems that bears are meant to dual spec the way things are. I could imagine that said bear would have difficulties fighting a pally in full fury as well. They would be hard pressed to beat down the mana shield while the mage would likely steadily cast a stream of spells to wear the bear down.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. I wish that there were some PvE levels that were hard enough that a pally or a bow bear would have difficulties surviving, but a pure strength could manage it. It would reinforce the value of the pure strength and increase the value of bears - perhaps even defeating the bad rep that bears seem to get.

As it stands, I would go as far as to argue that a dual spec is a better tank - their skills are much more likely to hit their intended targets. One thing I have always wondered is if mobs and bosses can dodge taunt, even though everything glows red when the bear casts it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Short-run, pallys aren't that hard because of their really low hit. In the long-run though, they definitely win. Only with the rest of my team does it become easier to take down.

Yeah I do wish for a higher degree of difficulty, I can run every BS map with my bow bear pretty well. Using a tank setup just makes it easy.

To show how well bow bears perform, the other day I started a PUG Roach game, took awhile for anyone to join so I decided to solo with a damage pot on. I made it to roach and about halfway through his HP before the pot wore out. I got him to about 1/8 and a mistimed kiting turn allowed him to 1 shot me with this rage on, he healed for 81k afterwards. Wish I could have taken a photo of it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I once tried to solo the Coakroach with my mage. It didn't end so well. I received a one hit kill. Without any equal to repulse or stomp, it's very hard to do. I'd say that he is the hardest boss to try to solo by far. He is like King Mynas, only tougher and with trash bins to heal with.

I haven't PvPed much recently; I've been mainly focusing on levelling my alts and perfecting my mage. I want to be able to play my pure int like a pally in the Catacombs and do say, the majority of the runs without a single death.

I do however hear that dex mages have become a new trend. With raid roach gear, you get over 100 crit when buffed with blessings (the gear gives I think about 40 crit, plus blessings of might does +60% crit, +30 damage), allowing them to rival birds. Of course, if they run out of mana ...

If you jailbreak your iPad/iPhone, you can record video directly from the device without a camera.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 04-04-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I once tried to solo the Coakroach with my mage. It didn't end so well. I received a one hit kill. Without any equal to repulse or stomp, it's very hard to do. I'd say that he is the hardest boss to try to solo by far. He is like King Mynas, only tougher and with trash bins to heal with.

If you jailbreak your iPad/iPhone, you can record video directly from the device without a camera.
    Only skill I used was Rage though, I didnt bother destroying the bins because I wanted to save pot time. Might try to destroy at least one corner of the bins.

Yeah I heard, but I don't think I can jailbreak at all. First, I don't know how to nor am I remotely familiar with it, and second, I've invested quite a bit into apps and iTunes already

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Yeah I heard, but I don't think I can jailbreak at all. First, I don't know how to nor am I remotely familiar with it, and second, I've invested quite a bit into apps and iTunes already
    Lol you replied while I was editing. Fast.

If you jailbreak, you won't lose any of your apps, although you will lose your warranty. You just can't update to the latest iOS until a jailbreak version comes out (and the devs work fairly fast, so you are looking at less than a month and usually sooner).

Not sure whether it is even worth destroying the bins as bear. Only AOE that can damage the bins is stomp, although beckon does do damage with rage. With mage, I can see reason to do so with fire blast and lightning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Lol you replied while I was editing. Fast.

If you jailbreak, you won't lose any of your apps, although you will lose your warranty. You just can't update to the latest iOS until a jailbreak version comes out (and the devs work fairly fast, so you are looking at less than a month and usually sooner).

Not sure whether it is even worth destroying the bins as bear. Only AOE that can damage the bins is stomp, although beckon does do damage with rage. With mage, I can see reason to do so with fire blast and lightning.
    Are jailbreaks usually done by the user? Or is there some dodgy shop I have to go to? I'm pretty sure Apple themselves don't recommend it :P

I'll try and look at jailbreaking

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Are jailbreaks usually done by the user? Or is there some dodgy shop I have to go to? I'm pretty sure Apple themselves don't recommend it :P

I'll try and look at jailbreaking

Thanks!
    Jailbreaking can easily be done by the user. To pay for it is being ripped off IMO.

Just search for redsn0w. This allows you to easily jailbreak your device and works for the latests 4.3.1 software. The program leads you through all the steps. The only thing you need is a copy of the original firmware (.ipsw file) somewhere on your PC (Mac has another program called Sn0wbreeze I believe).

As for the str/dex, the bear was the only char that I didn't make 'pure'. The reason is that skills just seem to miss much more when there's no dex. Then I prefer a little less skill dmg to get my skills to actually land. I'm strictly speaking pve here since I have no experience in Pvp (yet).
    Last edited by JaytB; 04-04-2011 at 08:00 PM.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Jailbreaking can easily be done by the user. To pay for it is being ripped off IMO.

Just search for redsn0w. This allows you to easily jailbreak your device and works for the latests 4.3.1 software. The program leads you through all the steps. The only thing you need is a copy of the original firmware (.ipsw file) somewhere on your PC (Mac has another program called Sn0wbreeze I believe).

As for the str/dex, the bear was the only char that I didn't make 'pure'. The reason is that skills just seem to miss much more when there's no dex. Then I prefer a little less skill dmg to get my skills to actually land. I'm strictly speaking pve here since I have no experience in Pvp (yet).
    Ah, so there are different ways to JB? How long do you think it'll take me?

I'll check it out today, hopefully its not too time consuming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Ah, so there are different ways to JB? How long do you think it'll take me?

I'll check it out today, hopefully its not too time consuming.
    Shouldn't take more then a couple of minutes really (or even just a minute or so). Just follow these simple steps:

1. Backup your iDevice
    2. Upgrade your iDevice with the latest (4.3.1) firmware through iTunes
    3. Restore your backup
    4. Run reds0w

Note: when running reds0w, just leave all the options as they are and use the 'next' button to go through the steps. Take your time to read what it says. If something were to go wrong, you can always restore your firmware and backup, but to be honest, I never had to do that (and I've jailbroken LOTS of iDevices already).

When done you will find Cydia on your springboard. This is the gateway to all the wonderful system tweaks available (lot's of them free, some of them certainly worth the couple of $'s).

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Shouldn't take more then a couple of minutes really (or even just a minute or so). Just follow these simple steps:

1. Backup your iDevice
    2. Upgrade your iDevice with the latest (4.3.1) firmware through iTunes
    3. Restore your backup
    4. Run reds0w

Note: when running reds0w, just leave all the options as they are and use the 'next' button to go through the steps. Take your time to read what it says. If something were to go wrong, you can always restore your firmware and backup, but to be honest, I never had to do that (and I've jailbroken LOTS of iDevices already).

When done you will find Cydia on your springboard. This is the gateway to all the wonderful system tweaks available (lot's of them free, some of them certainly worth the couple of $'s).
    Thanks! Will do it now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Thanks! Will do it now
    Will be online for half an hour more or so... Let me know if you have any questions

Edit: I've sent you a PM with my Skype details and a link to the website where you can find all that you need (redsn0w, tutorials, firmware files...). Send me a Skype msg if you need anything

Edit2: you shouldn't need to download the firmware file (*.ipsw), as it is already downloaded when you perform the update. You can search for '*.ipsw' on your system drive, and point to that file when using redsn0w
    Last edited by JaytB; 04-04-2011 at 08:42 PM.

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course you do :P

But at pure str, I don't think birds/mages can kill you through 2 combos even. Unless, they are really lucky with all their attacks landing and critting.
    it doesn't matter about defense when you have no offense, and even dps bears are practically a joke in pvp, not to say that there isn't great dps bears on the leader boards, but for the vast majority of us, bears just cant come up to par with the other classes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I agree about the bear hate lately. I learned to tank from Ellyidol's guide and from experience. When I run with a group, I make runs very fast, and when it comes to the boss, I keep him cornered and attacking me, yet most people see a predominant STR bear (I keep enough dex to have good hit %), they just boot. I even bust out the Gurg hammer for bosses, but, like was mentioned here, I will just solace myself with the fact I don't want to help people that just insta boot. When I'm hosting games, I try to send PM's if someone needs to leave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously misguided players out there. Whenever I find a well-played trinity of bear/bird/mage, it's been my experience that this grouping is usually the fastest way to clear maps. With everyone in sync you can both clear faster AND kill the boss faster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Wait Elly, I thought you had the iPad 2? It has video out capabilities. No need to jailbreak for it, and Apple sells the required cables.

My question is how to get it recording on a computer, as opposed to just hooking it up to a TV. Can anyone offer some advice? I have both a PC and a Mac.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalielle View Post
    Wait Elly, I thought you had the iPad 2? It has video out capabilities. No need to jailbreak for it, and Apple sells the required cables.

My question is how to get it recording on a computer, as opposed to just hooking it up to a TV. Can anyone offer some advice? I have both a PC and a Mac.
    You need an HDMI cable, since HDMI is essentially uncompressed data transfer, and your device needs to be able to support HDMI hardware (i.e., have a jack that has it enabled).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalielle View Post

That's true! I'll try that. Play on iPad but record on TV.

iPad 2 has no jailbreak yet anyway. Hehe