Thread: new sorc questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Default new sorc questions

hi guys i have lvl 26 mage im (slowly) levelling when i get bored of/need a break from playing my main (rouge). but mage is really fun and im thinking of making mage my main when its levelled. i've read quite a lot of stuff on here and have a few things i need advice on i can't do screenshot so here's my stats with blinky as pet:

str 93 (health is 2105)
    int 330 (mana 3450)
    dmg 214 (dps240)
    armor 510
    crit 13.8%

skills are ice (all), clock (countdown of pain, and freeze time), fire (engulf and impact) and shield (all but displacement wave), passive int and str only at this stage. my main pets are blinky and orion.

so my questions:

1. strength- since shield buff, str is important, yes? that's why i put so much in it. i survive pretty good but shld i be more focussed on dmg?

2. dmg- am i doing enough? i seem to be doing ok but i want to optimise not just do 'ok'.

3. skills- have i got the right upgrades and shld i be using lightning? i'm not sure i have enough skill points to use 5 skills atm but shld i respec? i have some scrolls from easter eggs i can use.

4. pets- any other legendary pets i shld get? i also have ethyl courage and frost.

sorry for the tldr lol and any help is kindly appreciated
    Last edited by acewasabi; 05-14-2015 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

also i don't understand how curse works, and what does everyone think about gale? i'd like to move fast across map but not at the expense of a dmg skill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

i think you need focus on damage too...
    And Lightning is more effective when you fight boss... upgrade 1 &3..

and about ice upgrade the 2 & 3 .. dont spent at all..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Entispakcim For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The nice thing about games like these is that there are a variety of ways to play your character and none of them are inherently wrong. All the skills have their uses. I have respecced a couple of times. I have settled on putting all my points into INT. I have put none into STR or DEX. I have upgraded 5/5 INT for my passive skills. For active skills I have:

Gale Force
    1 - Outward Squall
    2 - Protective Current
    4 - Weighted Wind

Fireball
    All 4 upgrades

Time Shift
    All 4 upgrades

Lifegiver
    All 4 upgrades

Some quick notes:

I used to have Frost Bolt trained and upgrades 1 (Ice Wielder), 2 (Jagged Ice), 3 (Shiver). It was single target only (except for the 20% chance of upgrade 1) and did not seem to be doing much damage. It also only seemed to freeze the lowest level enemies. The generic goblins, undead, etc. The mid-level ones, like the goblins that spin and spit black poison in Yrda or the "witches" that throw fireballs at you in Dead City seemed to resist most/all of the time. So I gave this skill up in favor of Time Shift and have been much happier.

You asked about Gale Force. The animation is far less exciting than something like Fireball, but it does the same damage as Fireball, damages up to SIX enemies (Fireball only does FOUR), has knock-down built in from the beginning without even being charged (Fireball only does knock-down with upgrade 3 and only when charged), and the knock-down lasts for 2 more seconds with Gale Force upgrade 4. Something I haven't tried yet is Gale Force upgrade 3 because I am not sure I want to "dash forward" when I am actually in battle, but it would be nice to use the dash when not in battle to move across the map faster in a similar manner to the way Rogues have a skill to do it.

You can only have 4 skills mapped at a time, so I am only concentrating on 4 until I get to be higher levels. In my opinion, all of the upgrades are worth it for Fireball and Time Shift.

Lifegiver upgrade 2 is a must have (assuming you have the Lifegiver skill trained, of course). Upgrade 1 is necessary if you really want to be support for your team. I was (and still am just a little) skeptical about upgrades 3 and 4. They do not seem to do much for me when I cast them. But I noticed that Sorcerers who did have them seemed to really help me recover life/mana when I was playing my Rogue character in the same party as a sorcerer who had these upgrades. So I took them to help out others.

As for Pets, I primarily use Flap Jack (for the +8 mana regen, he also gives +8 health regen which is nice too). Secondarily I use Blight (for the +5 mana regen and increased damage). I am saving up my Story Tokens for Colton (+5 mana regen, +30 INT, +10 damage). And there are some other ones that are good as well, but these are the ones I have been able to afford so far.
    Last edited by e5c4p3artist; 05-15-2015 at 10:16 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to e5c4p3artist For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

If you plan to run elites, get a gyrm. Also do full int. In all elites your job will be to smack out group dps and crowd control. On elites I run, ice/fire/timebomb/shieldor llightening. Depending on map. For the lower levels, focus on you int damage, when you get to 41 and get geared, then allow room for extra dps. Atm my mage has 3.3k hp 550+int 750+dps over 6k mana I believe. In place like tombs or low level elites like rooks or k raken, you can use heal if youwant to, mobs there are weaker. If you. Start doing elite shuyal to planar, you won't have room for heal so get ready to spam those hp pots more than mana pots like you would on your rogue

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwotsukete For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

thanks for the advice everyone i got nilbog on my mage and i looted a gyrm but opened on my rogue lol but im crafting gilded goblin chests on mage to hopefully get gyrm on that too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Since you only run pvp i suggest
    Getting a party

And realize that in pve mage is not a support instead a crowd control unit.

Build for crowd control
    Max fire
    Max clock
    (4) ice
    (3) light or (3) gale depends on you
    Passive int max
    Pet cheap but very effective in killing mobs ethyl and switch to nilbog on boss

If you want the support type
    max clock
    max fire
    (2) heal
    (4) ice
    Stat full int for greater heal

Tank build
    Fireball max
    Shield max
    Gale (3 or 4)
    Heal (2)
    Passive max str then rest. To int
    Stats 1str/4int
    Solo build
    Max fiRe
    Max clock
    Shield (4) no wave
    (2) heal
    Stats max int

Hope i contributed some

11. The Following User Says Thank You to enzpoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enzpoy View Post
    Solo build
    Max fiRe
    Max clock
    Shield (4) no wave
    (2) heal
    Stats max int
    Since my post above, I have re-specced again and have ended up similar to Envoy's solo build.

I now have:
    1. Lifegiver: 4/5, no HoT (Regrowth) - I primarily use this to regain mana actually, not health
    2. Shield: 4/5, no knockback (Wave) - I decided to try out this defensive skill instead of being all offense, and lo and behold, it has helped survivability immensely
    3. Fireball: 4/5, no Scorch - Still my favorite crowd control skill, cools down quickly enough that I felt I could do with Gale Force
    4. Lightning Strike: 1/5, damage increase only - Great for bosses. And combos with Fireball for crowds - shoot fireball to damage all mobs, pick off closest one with Lightning. Then there were three. Rinse and repeat.

I'm still making a lot of decisions myself. With this setup, I have 6 unspent skill points that I will either use to increase passive Strength (to strengthen Shield) or to take a 5th skill to swap in sometimes, like Clock. I haven't decided yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

atm i'm lvl 28 experimenting with 5 skill build

1. shield (all except knock back)
    2. fireball (all except scorch)
    3. lifegiver (first 2 upgrades)- for mana mostly, like you e5c4p3
    4. clock (1st and last upgrade)- for mobs
    5. lightning (1st and 3rd upgrade)- for bosses

all points on int, and passive i have int and str maxed. i chose shield cos at my lvl there's lots of inexperienced players (tanks actually running away, let alone holding aggro, and rogues with poor dmg) so it's often the only thing that keeps me alive lol. i like this build for now, will change it at end game and ditch lifegiver.

ty for the input ppl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Nilbog is a good pet for mage so don't spend too much just on pets. You already have Blinky and Nilbog that is plenty. Instead use your gold on better gear. For skills, yes Lightning is better than Ice. You do not need to get Lifegiver. Although you are mage, you do not need to give rogues mana. It's their job to purchase pots and use them. For you build, use this:

4/5 Shield (No push back)
    5/5 Fireball
    5/5 Lightning
    4/5 Clock (No explode at the end)

For passives just max Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence. If you are planning to run elites with this toon then the build I suggested is the best.

P.S your armor is quite low as even level 17s can have the same armor as you without Reinforced gems.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ColaxRic For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I know a great build once your 40+ or when you have enough points for skills and passives here it goes
    Fireball-5/5
    Ice-3/5(2nd and 3rd)
    Clock-4/5 except the second(I think)
    Lightning-3/5(1st and 3rd)
    Shield-4/5 except 2nd
    Heal-2/5(2nd)
    Passives all into Int Dex Str and Crit this is my build I just use heal in PvP and Fire Ice Clock Shield for mobs and swap clock for lightning in boss

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerodude For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by e5c4p3artist View Post
    The nice thing about games like these is that there are a variety of ways to play your character and none of them are inherently wrong. All the skills have their uses. I have respecced a couple of times. I have settled on putting all my points into INT. I have put none into STR or DEX. I have upgraded 5/5 INT for my passive skills. For active skills I have:

Gale Force
    1 - Outward Squall
    2 - Protective Current
    4 - Weighted Wind

Fireball
    All 4 upgrades

Time Shift
    All 4 upgrades

Lifegiver
    All 4 upgrades

Some quick notes:

I used to have Frost Bolt trained and upgrades 1 (Ice Wielder), 2 (Jagged Ice), 3 (Shiver). It was single target only (except for the 20% chance of upgrade 1) and did not seem to be doing much damage. It also only seemed to freeze the lowest level enemies. The generic goblins, undead, etc. The mid-level ones, like the goblins that spin and spit black poison in Yrda or the "witches" that throw fireballs at you in Dead City seemed to resist most/all of the time. So I gave this skill up in favor of Time Shift and have been much happier.

You asked about Gale Force. The animation is far less exciting than something like Fireball, but it does the same damage as Fireball, damages up to SIX enemies (Fireball only does FOUR), has knock-down built in from the beginning without even being charged (Fireball only does knock-down with upgrade 3 and only when charged), and the knock-down lasts for 2 more seconds with Gale Force upgrade 4. Something I haven't tried yet is Gale Force upgrade 3 because I am not sure I want to "dash forward" when I am actually in battle, but it would be nice to use the dash when not in battle to move across the map faster in a similar manner to the way Rogues have a skill to do it.

You can only have 4 skills mapped at a time, so I am only concentrating on 4 until I get to be higher levels. In my opinion, all of the upgrades are worth it for Fireball and Time Shift.

Lifegiver upgrade 2 is a must have (assuming you have the Lifegiver skill trained, of course). Upgrade 1 is necessary if you really want to be support for your team. I was (and still am just a little) skeptical about upgrades 3 and 4. They do not seem to do much for me when I cast them. But I noticed that Sorcerers who did have them seemed to really help me recover life/mana when I was playing my Rogue character in the same party as a sorcerer who had these upgrades. So I took them to help out others.

As for Pets, I primarily use Flap Jack (for the +8 mana regen, he also gives +8 health regen which is nice too). Secondarily I use Blight (for the +5 mana regen and increased damage). I am saving up my Story Tokens for Colton (+5 mana regen, +30 INT, +10 damage). And there are some other ones that are good as well, but these are the ones I have been able to afford so far.
    Uhmm what if your at endgame and decided to run elite kraken above I think you would need shield over heal cause in pve our heal causes aggro which can kill us in mere seconds without shield so use shield instead and for the passives I really rally recommend you getting the 5/5 str passive because you need that extra health and so that your shield can last longer and I prefer using fireball over gale in pve whether elite or not because people get mad when mobs get scattered (including me) that's why its hard to master gale force and in pve what I want to achieve is to have mob control and place as much DoT to the enemies cause DoT is OP in pve cause I remember running elite and we were all mages and had all same build Fire ice clock shield and we were killing mobs super fast cause stacking 4 clock is amazzing oh and in Ice skill don't get the first upgrade its kind of a waste for me thanks for reading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodude View Post
    I know a great build once your 40+ or when you have enough points for skills and passives here it goes
    Fireball-5/5
    Ice-3/5(2nd and 3rd)
    Clock-4/5 except the second(I think)
    Lightning-3/5(1st and 3rd)
    Shield-4/5 except 2nd
    Heal-2/5(2nd)
    Passives all into Int Dex Str and Crit this is my build I just use heal in PvP and Fire Ice Clock Shield for mobs and swap clock for lightning in boss
    Honestly you don't need more than 4 skills in PVE unless you also want to get involved in PVP. Having other skills are quite useless..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

My sorc is now level 29 and I now have this:

1. Lifegiver: 3/5 - Recover Mana, Increased Range (because Warriors are always begging me "mana plz")
    2. Shield: 4/5 - No Knockback
    3. Fireball: 4/5 - No Hit Chance Redux (Scorch)
    4. Frost Bolt: 3/5 - DoT for Freeze, Increase Duration of Freeze - I replaced Lightning Strike with this to be in my normal skillset

5. Lightning Strike: 3/5, Damage Increase, Critical Damage Increase - In new testing, I found Frost Bolt is better than this skill after all, but I replace Fireball with Lightning during Boss fights where the boss is the only enemy because it does more damage

For Passives, I have:

5/5 Intelligence
    5/5 Strength

And if you have actually been doing the math, I have one skill point unassigned for now. Still deciding what to use it for.