Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mothwing: Ask Away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Default Mothwing: Ask Away!

I answer any mage confusion. Start asking! Ask anything nobody will flame or critisize you...hopefuly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question about Mages role in end game dungeons and specs. So I haven't been playing this game for very long, (about 1 1/2 months), leveling was quite easy and overall game play is quite enjoyable. I played all INT throughout leveling to 55 and still do with a full MM set (wand/bracer) at 55. After getting the grass is greener itch, I decided to start farming for a fury set so I could see what all the fuss was about as a pally mage. So here are my questions.

1. As a dual spec mage in fury gear, how does one keep aggro after the initial pull? The problem I am having is that once the initial pull is done and my group engages, aggro has gone to either the bird or a full int mage, which means I sit there and heal (and do my limited damage). If someone pulls too much aggro and is unable to go defensive and mitigate it, my heals are pretty crappy (compared to full INT), so its not always possible to keep them up. On small pulls this isn't a big concern, however on larger pulls and boss fights its almost impossible to keep aggro off of the DPS in my group.

2. So is a dual spec viable with two end game sets? Or are you just limiting yourself to a mediocre role for each spec? Here is what I mean, to really take advantage of the MM set (and this is only my opinion), it seems that full INT is the way to go. Splitting points between INT and STR just does not provide as much advantage as going full INT with the MM set, the loss of hit and spell damage is quite noticeable. With the Fury set, it seems like I am a gimped bear with a not so great heal.

After playing with the dual spec for a bit, I got a little frustrated that I was either a crappy bear that could not taunt or pull aggro after damage starts. Or being a handicapped mage in MM gear. I know it is probably me, but I would love to hear from more experienced people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How should we re-spec our skills now as LV55 PvE machine? (It is free for all to re-spec right now!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

its free for now but they will take it off and its only free so people can rest it and adjust it to fit in there likings because of the global cool down.

SupaProdigy level 32 operative SpaceReaper level 12 .Beastrocity lvl 63
    Supaprodigy level 56 bird Toquickforu level 60 Paladin! Top Shot Mafia. Empty-Space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SUPAPRODIGY View Post
    its free for now but they will take it off and its only free so people can rest it and adjust it to fit in there likings because of the global cool down.
    Yea! So to be specific, my distribution of skill points for PvE is as follows. Pls. comment~

6 6 6 1
    6 3 6 6
    6 1 1 6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

hahaha moth u havent answered any if these questions
    SLUSHIE - PROUD MEMBER OF REVELATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    He can't as he seems to have been banned... So anyone else could help on my question?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kajiii View Post
    I have a question about Mages role in end game dungeons and specs. So I haven't been playing this game for very long, (about 1 1/2 months), leveling was quite easy and overall game play is quite enjoyable. I played all INT throughout leveling to 55 and still do with a full MM set (wand/bracer) at 55. After getting the grass is greener itch, I decided to start farming for a fury set so I could see what all the fuss was about as a pally mage. So here are my questions.

1. As a dual spec mage in fury gear, how does one keep aggro after the initial pull? The problem I am having is that once the initial pull is done and my group engages, aggro has gone to either the bird or a full int mage, which means I sit there and heal (and do my limited damage). If someone pulls too much aggro and is unable to go defensive and mitigate it, my heals are pretty crappy (compared to full INT), so its not always possible to keep them up. On small pulls this isn't a big concern, however on larger pulls and boss fights its almost impossible to keep aggro off of the DPS in my group.

2. So is a dual spec viable with two end game sets? Or are you just limiting yourself to a mediocre role for each spec? Here is what I mean, to really take advantage of the MM set (and this is only my opinion), it seems that full INT is the way to go. Splitting points between INT and STR just does not provide as much advantage as going full INT with the MM set, the loss of hit and spell damage is quite noticeable. With the Fury set, it seems like I am a gimped bear with a not so great heal.

After playing with the dual spec for a bit, I got a little frustrated that I was either a crappy bear that could not taunt or pull aggro after damage starts. Or being a handicapped mage in MM gear. I know it is probably me, but I would love to hear from more experienced people.
    1) I haven't played a pally role in a long time, but pally has a tough time keeping aggro on them, particularly at a boss. Pally doesn't have a way of grabbing aggro, and keeping it. Warriors just use taunt, and hope it takes effect to gain agrro. A battle bird can use cruel blast, and hope it tops the "aggro value" in order to get aggro. Pally has less skill damage then pure int Mage, and dex Mage, so it's tough for them to keep aggro on them. Pally is better for running ahead, and grouping mobs. I'm not very familiar with pally, so hopefully someone more educated in the pally region can be of assistance.

2) Well, it depends what you dual spec. I'm a dex and int Mage using full MM on the int side, and sewer kind leather and helm with custom auto on the dex Mage side. Half int and half dex is the most effective way for a dex Mage in my opinion, however, my int side is slightly weaker than pure int. When you're going dual with int Mage, and dex or str, you're gonna sacrifice a little on the int side for the ability to be pally or dex Mage as an option. It sounds more like you have a problem with pally as opposed to dual spec.

Sorry if I wasn't very helpful, as I said, I'm not very familiar with paladin.

@ William. I recommend using:

Should be fairly effective and will hopefully work well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM cmy View Post
    Yea! So to be specific, my distribution of skill points for PvE is as follows. Pls. comment~

6 6 6 1
    6 3 6 6
    6 1 1 6
    Been using the same spec since the GCD change and liking it so far, don't really notice the loss of points in BOV in PVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    1) I haven't played a pally role in a long time, but pally has a tough time keeping aggro on them, particularly at a boss. Pally doesn't have a way of grabbing aggro, and keeping it. Warriors just use taunt, and hope it takes effect to gain agrro. A battle bird can use cruel blast, and hope it tops the "aggro value" in order to get aggro. Pally has less skill damage then pure int Mage, and dex Mage, so it's tough for them to keep aggro on them. Pally is better for running ahead, and grouping mobs. I'm not very familiar with pally, so hopefully someone more educated in the pally region can be of assistance.

2) Well, it depends what you dual spec. I'm a dex and int Mage using full MM on the int side, and sewer kind leather and helm with custom auto on the dex Mage side. Half int and half dex is the most effective way for a dex Mage in my opinion, however, my int side is slightly weaker than pure int. When you're going dual with int Mage, and dex or str, you're gonna sacrifice a little on the int side for the ability to be pally or dex Mage as an option. It sounds more like you have a problem with pally as opposed to dual spec.

Sorry if I wasn't very helpful, as I said, I'm not very familiar with paladin.

@ William. I recommend using:

Should be fairly effective and will hopefully work well
    Thanks for the feedback, I know its not a perfect comparison, but it gives me an idea of how it works between both dual specs. My question would be, how does your DPS compare to DEX bird or a dual spec bird? Is it comparable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    He can't as he seems to have been banned... So anyone else could help on my question?
    Whoops....such an old thread rofl...plus my notifications don't always work and ya I was banned thanks for takin over tho hehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kajiii View Post
    Been using the same spec since the GCD change and liking it so far, don't really notice the loss of points in BOV in PVE. Thanks for the feedback, I know its not a perfect comparison, but it gives me an idea of how it works between both dual specs. My question would be, how does your DPS compare to DEX bird or a dual spec bird? Is it comparable?
    I am currently dex/int Mage so you're in luck. My knowledge on this is that all DPS is the same depending on your bow. If you're high lvl (dont know ur lvl) then the recurves (such as RR) have the best DPS. The crossbows are a .01 DPS difference so I don't see that much of a change. That's why I like XBows. Hope this helped rofl!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi mothwing!
    I recently created a Mage and I am currently putting all my points into Int. I am level 28 and dont know where I can farm some good weapons and armours. Can I know where would be a good place to farm or buy? I have around 30k. Also, which ability build should I follow if im not rich? I was thinking of a Palladin but im not sure.

TIA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ayush1997 View Post
    Hi mothwing!I recently created a Mage and I am currently putting all my points into Int. I am level 28 and dont know where I can farm some good weapons and armours. Can I know where would be a good place to farm or buy? I have around 30k. Also, which ability build should I follow if im not rich? I was thinking of a Palladin but im not sure.TIA
    Pure int is a great way to go. Paladin is also good but in lrder to be one you have to sacrifice some intelligence to strength. Therefore, your spells power is decreased. Farming for gear can be long and painful. The best place to get gear would be balefort castle in the auction or "CS". You can press thr box to search for gear you can use only. Hope this helped

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Hey, due to the new patch I discovered my str/dex Mage was stacking& so had to remake. So far all int ( no longer a pot sucker). I realized at some point I can have enough of an int stat to have whatever gear I want & still have left over to poss. go into say str. for survivability. I should say I'm prob. gonna cap this in the low 50s to farm but it's all up fir grabs. Oh & lv 40 atm.
    Thoughts? Thx.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suentous PO View Post
    Hey, due to the new patch I discovered my str/dex Mage was stacking& so had to remake. So far all int ( no longer a pot sucker). I realized at some point I can have enough of an int stat to have whatever gear I want & still have left over to poss. go into say str. for survivability. I should say I'm prob. gonna cap this in the low 50s to farm but it's all up fir grabs. Oh & lv 40 atm.
    Thoughts? Thx.
    Mage right? Paladins (STR & INT Mages) are a little hard to get used to. 1) If you use STR gear, its weird having up-close combat. It takes a while to get used to but heres a tip: If you want the armor benefits of a bear but stil lwant that ability to be an AOE Mage or using wands to get further away, use a STR shield, in this case Rift will do, lvl 40 i would use Pharoah's Shield, and a Burning Wand/Blizzard Stick or any other wand that pleases you. Use a Strength Helmet such as Mynas Helm and Int. Robes to add that extra dmg/int.

Full INT. IMO is the best way to go for mages. The skill strength is at the highest, therefore doesnt require more mana. You can use absolutely any gear for mages, and theyre the easiest to solo/farm gold or items.

Either one of these ways will do. If youre looking for less deaths BUT also longer kill times and less kills Paladin's the way to go. If youre looking for faster runs but a health/pot devourer, then use full INT.

If i didnt answer youre question just say so.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Thx, this helps. I can distill my question to it's core. Let's say I want to make her capped off @ 51 lv so as to farm sewers, what gear is popular with mages @ that lv (51)? I ask so I have a goal statwise with int. Say I know "set x" is bamma ( best ) then I see what it's min int requirement is & the rest prolly goes str. not to be a pally just cuz I may want health over a lil more firepower. My mainman is a crow so I'm ignent bout dem wizardfolk. So 50/51 sets, whassgood? I would value survivability over trying to match dps w/birds.
    Thanks again mothwing ( & others)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suentous PO View Post
    Thx, this helps. I can distill my question to it's core. Let's say I want to make her capped off @ 51 lv so as to farm sewers, what gear is popular with mages @ that lv (51)? I ask so I have a goal statwise with int. Say I know "set x" is bamma ( best ) then I see what it's min int requirement is & the rest prolly goes str. not to be a pally just cuz I may want health over a lil more firepower. My mainman is a crow so I'm ignent bout dem wizardfolk. So 50/51 sets, whassgood? I would value survivability over trying to match dps w/birds.
    Thanks again mothwing ( & others)
    Any 51 gear will do. MM being the best statwise.

If you wanted to be a 55 with sewer gear on both specs, just do what i do, use booster gear.

For example:

You have 10 STR and 10 INT. The gear you want to use requires 20 STR. what you do is use lower level gear to "boost" your stats. Lets say a 4-piece lvl 5 set adds 5 STR per item. All put together, they add 20 str to your stats, allowin you to use that lvl 10 gear.

Same goes for sewer. You have...i think its 139 per spec if youre a dual spec. You need 175 say for sewer. Just use ao2 trash pinks to boost!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Thx, now my grrl just needs to shop.
    Oh, and kill....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    Any 51 gear will do. MM being the best statwise.

If you wanted to be a 55 with sewer gear on both specs, just do what i do, use booster gear.

For example:

You have 10 STR and 10 INT. The gear you want to use requires 20 STR. what you do is use lower level gear to "boost" your stats. Lets say a 4-piece lvl 5 set adds 5 STR per item. All put together, they add 20 str to your stats, allowin you to use that lvl 10 gear.

Same goes for sewer. You have...i think its 139 per spec if youre a dual spec. You need 175 say for sewer. Just use ao2 trash pinks to boost!
    Dual specs are gone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

6 6 6 1
    6 3 6 6
    6 1 1 6

Newb here, i'm lv 32 and i'm confused about this skill point? i re-did my points so i have 6 in all my attacks and only 1's in everything else (besides health).. but i'm confused in what the 6's and 3 & 1's are going toward in yours?