Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: 1.7.1 Content Update (57007)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Difference between the GCD yesterday and after today's patch

After the patch today, there was a noticable difference in the use of skills, at least in my experience. It does feel "snappier" as was the intent. Prior to the patch today I had difficultt landing combos while using what I call the "tweener" skills -- meaning firing off your first skill for a combo, using another skill, and then firing the second skill for the combo. The example is a bird using shattering scream, thorn wall, then blast shot or a mage using frost, lightning, then fire.

Today, I was able to pull this off again. Either the combo que time is longer, or the skills are firing slightly faster. This afternoon we were able to get to the boss, and in Hideout complete the entire run, within five minutes in most of the games played. So game play seems a little faster or people are adjusting to the changes (or maybe a little of both).

I'm still not a big fan of length of the GCD, but that isn't the point of this thread. The patch seems to have accomplished what the devs were trying to do. And I appreciate them trying to work with the players to find a happy medium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not trying to offend anyone or bash the devs in anyway. I just question, does the GCD fit in with the way everything is currently? No. Honestly, instead of changing MAJOR mechanics, couldnt we be working on, more quests, voice chat, better weapon and armor designs, I could name a thousand other things. Am I saying GCD is totally wrong and never will feel right? No. We have a lot more other issues to deal with than this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Morawk, it's perfectly normal for people NOT to be ok with it suddenly taking twice as long to perform a task. Would you be ok if at work your boss took your computer and swapped it with one that was twice as slow? Or if your commute to work was suddenly permanently doubled?
    Maybe you would be, but most people wouldn't.
    Here's the problem with the analogy that you just gave me. You're talking about work. I'm talking about a game. If it takes me twice as long to clear a map then so be it. I'm still playing a game. It's still for fun. The key thing: I'm not working twice as long. I'm playing twice as long. If you guys are losing sight of the fact that PL is a game and you're not playing it for fun then no amount of discussion is going to work for you.
    Kindread - Lvl 56 Pink-Magnet ("Pink Taco!")
    Grendel - Level 25 Operative, Vicar - Noob Engineer, Emissary - Noob Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morawk View Post
    Here's the problem with the analogy that you just gave me. You're talking about work. I'm talking about a game. If it takes me twice as long to clear a map then so be it. I'm still playing a game. It's still for fun. The key thing: I'm not working twice as long. I'm playing twice as long. If you guys are losing sight of the fact that PL is a game and you're not playing it for fun then no amount of discussion is going to work for you.
    With that logic, you'd be ok with each run taking an hour, even if the end result is the same (ie. Same chance at loot).

Games can be challenging and take a while to complete (I absolutely LOVED that each Sacred Odyssey dungeon/puzzle took me a long time to complete). But there has to a be a reason and the reward has to be relative to the amount of time and effort put into it. If everything stays the same but the runs are slower, then no, that is not fun (for most).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thank you devs for such quick action in alleviating our frustrations with the first iteration of the update. The GCD is much more manageable now. I do miss the instant skill reaction, but I am not getting hammered quite as hard as I was. Though I wish the buffs and heals could be instant again, I know that I can get used to the way things are now.

Now, if you could just increase the sewer pink drop rates a smidgeon, life would be grand. (It never hurts to ask.)

Tiliana - 54 Pure Int Mage & Atilian - 21 Pure Dex Archer
    Spamming the heals and living the dream once again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Lesrider, If it takes twice as long to complete it each run, thats half the chance at getting anything worthwhile. Which is why I said other aspects need to change before GCD.. XP, drop rates, elixir lengths... etc etc. I used to love 24 hour fear plane raids in EQ1 but, I just can't do that kind of stuff anymore.

Once it starts to become more like "work" it isn't fun anymore.
    Last edited by tifarah; 04-13-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Ok, enough riding people if they disagree with you

I've followed the thread here, given it a chance and think I can live with gcd, but there's absolutely no reason to deride others opinions or efforts to express them here. If you want to voice your opinion, that's fine, but these other guys and gals have the same right without having to defend every thing.

Simply put, if you've got good suggestions for others to change their gameplay, think about how you word it a bit more, man. I've been here only a day and most of your posts seem like attacks, dude. You do have good suggestions, I've read a few and actually tried some!

Let's get back to the constructive part and ease up on the criticism.

Newbi-ly yours
    Dartagnian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last night was also the first time since i first downloaded this game that i slept a full 8 hrs....and iwas sad about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletime View Post
    After the patch today, there was a noticable difference in the use of skills, at least in my experience. It does feel "snappier" as was the intent. Prior to the patch today I had difficultt landing combos while using what I call the "tweener" skills -- meaning firing off your first skill for a combo, using another skill, and then firing the second skill for the combo. The example is a bird using shattering scream, thorn wall, then blast shot or a mage using frost, lightning, then fire.
    Didn't know there was a name for that!

My input: Before the big update, I'd use that method to space out the skills to land combos.

Yesterday, I noticed several times that I could put 2-3 skills in between and still land combos -- a second or two later. This was surprising, to me, as I thought combos had to be pretty carefully timed. But, my combo landing abilities became almost perfect.

Today, I haven't had enough time to try out the effect on combos.

(Must drag myself away from the forums for some game time!)
    Lilbyrdie - Enchantress; Naabafrekie - Archer; Bearmiathan - Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't care for the comment on the other thread that if you don't have constructive feedback, you could be banned. I have worked my entire career (now as an exec) in the service industry and making threats to customers who complain about the product/service is the quickest path towards being out of business. If you don't want feedback, then don't ask for it. If you pat yourself on the back about being a responsive Development team then I think you should take stock of the feedback you've received and decide if you're actually being rational or stubborn with your "enhancements" to the gaming environment. Maybe tweaking GCD isn't the right answer, maybe reversing it is?

Hulluko's post said it best, you've slowed down gameplay which was maybe your single largest competitive advantage. You've also caved to childish whims by putting fart/puke emotes into the game...BUT "don't let me catch you cursing or bans are coming"!!! No profanity in this game but fart, vomit and crap your pants all you want. This deviates from a squeaky clean image that I thought PL did a good job of maintaining. Again, I'm not entirely sure what problem you were solving with this patch..."loop time" is developer code speech...I'm not a developer and could care less what that means. As a customer, I can tell you that your improved "loop time" has the counter effect of creating a degraded gaming experience. If that was your goal, good job.

This may sound like a rant post but consider it an implore to take stock in your strategic direction before you lose a lot of fans and customers. You guys were on a good trajectory and seemed to take a random, ill-advised 90-degree turn but seem to have an attitude that the community will simply adjust. Don't be too sure - these changes have radically changed the quality of the game. The halo effect of "loop time" will steadily improve with less players logged on.
    Subterraneous - level 56 elf (Sub)
    Predadactyl - level 56 bird (Pred)
    Kodiaktic - level 40 bear (Kodi)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    With that logic, you'd be ok with each run taking an hour, even if the end result is the same (ie. Same chance at loot).
    Yes (I.e. Shadow Caves). I run that just for the sheer fun of it. I waste a bunch of pots and elixirs doing so and I love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

That's the problem though, most ppl quite simply arent having fun anymore, hence the complaints and ragequitters
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Skavenger - commando, Skavengr - engineer, MegaDooomer - operative
    Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    They're noobs, what do you expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a bird, mage, and bear and probably spent about $40 on platinum. That being said, GCD has really changed this game for the worst. It is obvious by the above forum posters that no one likes GCD. The only way I can protest is by giving this game a 1 star rating until this unnecessary change is removed. At that point I will give this game a 5 star rating, a rating of which it used to earn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tifarah View Post
    I agree with Lesrider, If it takes twice as long to complete it each run, thats half the chance at getting anything worthwhile. Which is why I said other aspects need to change before GCD.. XP, drop rates, elixir lengths... etc etc. I used to love 24 hour fear plane raids in EQ1 but, I just can't do that kind of stuff anymore.

Once it starts to become more like "work" it isn't fun anymore.
    From the way you just described your experience right there, it already is work for you. You're not even having fun on your run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tifarah View Post
    This has nothing to do with being "uber" it's the fact that I used to be able to play the game in between classes, lunch break, before the car ride home and etc. The whole casual feel for the game is gone. If we are going to have more strategic gameplay we should have less monsters per level, with harder more miniboss type monsters.
    not to apear to be a proponent of less monsters more miniboss...but i agree. In between classes, lunch break, before kids need me....longer is not better and is a big deal. Also, not supposed tobe this easy? Was it easy? Subjective opinion that it was. What it was, was fun. Too many (and some very experienced players) say it is no longer. This should raise some concerns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Morhawk you trying for a shield?

On seperate note, gcd still sucks. Sure it feels faster and smoother but its still to long and game still isn't fun like it used to be. I still think some or all of these need to be brought to game to make gcd not so bad.
    Gcd reduced further
    Mob hp cut
    Mob dmg cut
    Xp increase
    Dmg increase
    Money drop increase
    Pink rate increase
    Elixer and buffs length increased
    Or remove gcd......
    Bosses changed in some way to make up for loss of mobilty and dmg
    I think there were a few others in my first suggestion post but these hit a lot of them. Not saying all these need implemented but I can see at least 3 of them right off that could help a heap!
    Iam still not having fun in game and will not play a game that gameplay feels clunky. I will check back next fix see how it feels but as is gameplay still sucks........ sry devs every other aspect of update I like even free faces when I payed 20plat for my face. But very nice stuff graphics seem pretty and like new questing stuff. Just shame this one thing will be so game breaking and seems like devs are hell bent on having this one aspect of update in game evn though main player base dose not like it!
    Furon lvl 55 dex bird

Ayreez lvl 31 int mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm trying to adjust to GCD (still hate it), very choppy needs to be revamped or removed.. But there are glitches where sometimes I have to press a spell 4-5 times for it to execute, and the GCD still executes but no spells are being casted. I don't think I am the only one experiencing thing, please add to it if anyone has other experience. If you can drop the GCD timing to barely noticeable it would help out a lot, not a big fan of it. Oh and others mention a status bar indicating the GCD, I like it the way it is because you can at least try to time it if the spells can execute, but can you just change the color so it is less confusing if you must keep it.

Please just drop the GCD to barely noticeable, or take it out, it would please a lot of people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You make good points Morawk and i understand it makes no difference to you. But the honest dialogue is that a run from 5 mins to 10 mins is huge to me with kids, job, etc, etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your right I am not having as much fun as before the patch, hence the complaints.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Subterraneous View Post
    I didn't care for the comment on the other thread that if you don't have constructive feedback, you could be banned. I have worked my entire career (now as an exec) in the service industry and making threats to customers who complain about the product/service is the quickest path towards being out of business. If you don't want feedback, then don't ask for it. If you pat yourself on the back about being a responsive Development team then I think you should take stock of the feedback you've received and decide if you're actually being rational or stubborn with your "enhancements" to the gaming environment. Maybe tweaking GCD isn't the right answer, maybe reversing it is?

Hulluko's post said it best, you've slowed down gameplay which was maybe your single largest competitive advantage. You've also caved to childish whims by putting fart/puke emotes into the game...BUT "don't let me catch you cursing or bans are coming"!!! No profanity in this game but fart, vomit and crap your pants all you want. This deviates from a squeaky clean image that I thought PL did a good job of maintaining. Again, I'm not entirely sure what problem you were solving with this patch..."loop time" is developer code speech...I'm not a developer and could care less what that means. As a customer, I can tell you that your improved "loop time" has the counter effect of creating a degraded gaming experience. If that was your goal, good job.

This may sound like a rant post but consider it an implore to take stock in your strategic direction before you lose a lot of fans and customers. You guys were on a good trajectory and seemed to take a random, ill-advised 90-degree turn but seem to have an attitude that the community will simply adjust. Don't be too sure - these changes have radically changed the quality of the game. The halo effect of "loop time" will steadily improve with less players logged on.

Thank you. This post bares being repeated.