Thread: Death Count

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Death Count

I'm just curious if this is a common occurrence. Upon being disconnected in a dungeon and re-entering 10-15 seconds later, I have health and notice it is adding a death count to me.

I have been very careful leveling up, so it's disconcerting to have 1 death added on without a noticeable death. So far it has happened 3 times this evening.

Is this part of the programming that im just now noticing?

Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Yes, death stat is a useless stat. Death counts get added for all sorts of reasons. I have had lag, where I thought I would be dead, but came back and was able to heal. I still got a death count, even though I didn't die. Even if you pay a platinum for revive after death, you still get a death count.

Just give up on the stat, it will only be frustrating if you are concerned about death counts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

^so basically you've gotten deaths for dying, and haven't gotten deaths for staying alive?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Well, I got a death for staying alive as did a friend. Normally, I don't care about my death count, but when you're trying to run an Immortal...... Last night, zero deaths on baby bear. This morning after an hour or so of playing, I looked at my avatar page and 1 death. No games where I left when death was imminent (that would be, you know, cheating), no near-death experiences and certainly no full-fledged, down on the dungeon floor deaths, but I've got one anyway. :/ Friend is in the same boat--he hadn't died, went to look at his kill count and 1 death for him, too.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    Well, I got a death for staying alive as did a friend... Friend is in the same boat--he hadn't died, went to look at his kill count and 1 death for him, too.
    Exactly!

When the vanity "Shield of Gratitude" came out, it had 20 armor. I made a new little str bird, and destroyed everything leveling to 20 without ever taking much damage. Then, I noticed that the death count would occasionally increment for no apparent reason. I probably never got more than 10% health knocked off, but somehow had death counts.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Interesting stories, are you guys lagging at any point? I'm not sure the mechanic of it but I know somehow dmg dealt by enemies is increased (or armor is decreased) while in the midst of a disconnect. I know for a fact that my 56 bird when wearing Death set can stand in FH4 (the old FH) for at least 30 min and not lose the slighest amount of HP; however if my router resets or 3G takes a dump and I'm on the verge of being disconnected (but don't actually get dc'd) my health appears as 0 usually without me actually "dying" but a death is recorded.

Edit: I know something similar happens if the servers crash on STS' side, for some reason the accounts are not logged off immediately and any toon left in a dungeon will basically be helpless.

Unless you're trying for an immortal, try to ignore the stat as I don't think this ranks high on the dev's to-do list.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 07-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.