Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: If You Had A Child Who Was Around 10 Years Old Would You Let Them Play PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default If You Had A Child Who Was Around 10 Years Old Would You Let Them Play PL

If I had a child and I know for certain I wouldn't let him/her play PL. I think it is a great game that is geared much more towards children, but all it takes is that one person to ruin your child's day/gaming experience. I think that Pocket Legends would have to be a tad bit cleaner, but I understand that they try. SpaceTimeStudios I really do appreciate what you do and try to accomplish. I for one, understand that this is a game meant for younger children and I talk like I'm talking to a child. However, you have those dodos that talk like they are at the local bar when there are children. What are your thoughts on this subject? To the devs, is there a way I can get involved

Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Well, honestly, kids are already exposed to so many things at this point. Even when I was in middle school / junior high school the kids weren't horrible, but now, several years later, the kids are watching rated R movies like "The Hangover" etc. Pocket Legends is great about making things kid-friendly. I would let my child play it. Realistically, one person has the potential to ruin my child's experience, but outside of game the same sort of situation could happen. I see your point, though.
    *Follow my blog, and I'll love you forever *
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    She's not hot, she's sexy. Sexy steph
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    does it matter? we all praise and adore your presence, may your light fall upon our eyes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Power level him through forest Haven and he'll befine.... or much better off than he be otherwise...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree kids now a days are so much worse than what they were a while back. I guess I just say that because I was raised to not play M games or watch R Movies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, but on the flip side I wouldn't let a 10 year old fumble and break a 200+ dollar piece of tech anyway. They can have the pc, the worst they are going to do is break a 20 buck keyboard.
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't for one simple reason 10 year olds don't need a smart phone and I would not by them one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by costalot View Post
    If I had a child and I know for certain I wouldn't let him/her play PL. I think it is a great game that is geared much more towards children, but all it takes is that one person to ruin your child's day/gaming experience. I think that Pocket Legends would have to be a tad bit cleaner, but I understand that they try. SpaceTimeStudios I really do appreciate what you do and try to accomplish. I for one, understand that this is a game meant for younger children and I talk like I'm talking to a child. However, you have those dodos that talk like they are at the local bar when there are children. What are your thoughts on this subject? To the devs, is there a way I can get involved
    1st this is basically a double posted thread, 2nd if u wanna get involved report what YOU feel is offensive or email STS. Just because you feel.something is wrong doesnt mean everyone does, thats up to the mods and devs to figure out. Noone is gonna give ya a job policing wat YOU feel is right and wrong
    "Dont take life to seriously,...your never gonna make it out alive." (Creepymouth 55 str/dex bear, Spookytoothh 55 pure dex bird, Vampyres 10 mage) SRINGY 4 life!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otukura View Post
    Power level him through forest Haven and he'll befine.... or much better off than he be otherwise...
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Raulur View Post
    Yes, but on the flip side I wouldn't let a 10 year old fumble and break a 200+ dollar piece of tech anyway. They can have the pc, the worst they are going to do is break a 20 buck keyboard.
    and yes. I've seen my brothers lose iPod after iPod and phone after phone. No way my child is getting anything beside a guitar, pencil, and paper for at home entertainment. They're gonna be just like daddy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, like all good games, its far too addictive and would end up rotting their brains when they should be focusing on more important things in life, like study, for example.

Sure, an hour here or there during a day is acceptable, but they would soon become addicted because of the mass appeal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xBareSpiritx View Post
    No, like all good games, its far too addictive and would end up rotting their brains when they should be focusing on more important things in life, like study, for example.

Sure, an hour here or there during a day is acceptable, but they would soon become addicted because of the mass appeal.
    Addicted? We all are

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    Personally, I think anything that allows the ability to interact and communicate with total, faceless strangers isn't ment for kids.

Think of it this way. YOU'RE the parent, not me. YOU'RE responsible for what YOUR child is exposed to. And if YOU want to let YOUR child loose into something that's easily comparable to an all-access bar, then go right ahead. But I shouldn't be held accountable for any of the liquor talk little Billy decides to engulf from my cap loose mind, and re-purge onto your lap.

Sadly, StS doesn't share the same view. So you're in luck, let the little ankle biter roam free. Alterra is child proof, for the most part... Just tell him to watch out for that BeardedBear guy. I hear that he likes to lure little kids into The Dark Forest with old, oversized gingerbread men and orange cat/ghost themed candy bags.
    Sad to say and not really proud of it, I have to agree with Banned on this. Although as self centered and unconcerned about others development/influences as he appears to be, it is the parents job soley to protect the innocence of the younger. While it would be mature and the right thing to do, expecting others to aid or help in such measures just isn't going to happen in this "me, me, I, I generation" as banned demonstrates.

Just because the Internet exist and a parents have a false sense or lack knowledge doesn't give us an excuse. As a parent it calls use to be more vigilant and aware of our surroundings. I am glad STS leans to the side of the parents since it is geared toward the younger generation. What we can do as caring people is to continue to encourage those venues that cater to kids such a STS to continuing to make games better like this. In groups you stand

I've worked my IT security job for 10+ years and the things that are out there would defy and obliterate a parents minds if they only new.... I'd hate to see a younger child expose to the same thing we fire and prosecute adults for...... And it's the same stuff kids can find freely.... Parents, wise up and take heed.

Thanks STS for taking the better path here...

Costalot, as to the thread, plz don't start a new one because the thread gets tainted because of apposing views.... It's sort of frowned on and could like like your trolling when in reality you do have a good topic
    Last edited by Rusalio; 04-22-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    Rusalio~Lvl 75 Tank|Dexalio~Lvl 75 Archer|MaGalio~Lvl 76 Mage|[COLOR="red"]| plus 100 more...Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open.

NorthEast Ohio on the #1 Trout River next to Lake Erie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Schools are worse then PL .
    Yes I will let my kids play. They both just got new droids. They both have pads. 7-9yo

I know kids shouldnt have smart phones. Its the future its how I make some of my money. They will learn about them. My kids have never broke there phones/itoy yet. Then if they do break it. Thats why there is insurance. They have phones worth 450+.
    The worst thing that ever happened was a kid stole one phone. I tracked it. Boom poor parents had to pay for there kid.

If the worst thing they see is some text with swear words. There doing better then being in school.
    Last edited by Diodge; 04-22-2011 at 04:37 AM.
    """""""""There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum"""""""""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure my child would have an iPhone, iPod Touch, android, or iPad at 10 years old...
    but if he did then I would force him to farm recipes with me
    Brotherhood / 兄弟盟 - A guild for 1337 players
    Doapsaint Level 55 Pure Dex Birdie | Supahsaint Level 15 Str/Dex Bear
    Progress to 56 |▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓|

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nightshade View Post
    Addicted? We all are
    Lol... yea.... addicted probably an understatement

PL : xBearSpiritx (Lvl 66 Tank Bear) | xPallax (Lvl 60 Pure Int Elf) | xDarkWraithx (Lvl 61 Pure Dex Bird)
    SL: Crusader (Lvl 26 Commando) | Contra (Lvl 26 Operative) | xPallax (Lvl 26 Engineer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id give my kid chocolate , sweets for gold so defo lol
    Icantspel - 55 Fury ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no....way.

i played with sticks and rocks when i was a kid. although pong was all the rage when i was young....

he wants a smartphone to waste his time, he can get a job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diodge View Post
    Schools are worse then PL .
    Yes I will let my kids play.
    If the worst thing they see is some text with swear words. There doing better then being in school.
    As a parent of a just-about 10-year-old who often reads in parenting forums, I will preface my opinion with the observation that these kinds of threads can quickly deteriorate into heated debates on best child-rearing practices and who is the better parent. That is not my intention. We all have a right to rear our individual children as best we see fit.

But, I do have an opinion...

I think that the swearing that a child hears in elementary school is more of a rite of passage. It is the use of bad language just to prove that one even knows it exists; the use of bad language to "impress" friends. From what I see in Pocket Legends, the use of vulgar language is more knowing and sexually inappropriate. It is kinda raunchy. The sexual awareness and knowledge of a 13-year-old is vast compared to that of a 10-year-old.

Pocket Legends rates this game 9+ for "Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence". I think they are spot on with that rating with regard to game play. What they haven't taken into account is the chat aspect of this game. I would recommend that they rate it 12+ for that reason.

I have no problem with the mildly explicit chat I hear sometimes in this game. I even think the fart pack is hilarious. I was 13 once I'm sure my potty mouth then could have rivaled the best of what I hear in PL. I'm not so much into it now - but I simply remove myself from a game or towne instance when my eyes start to roll so much that I can't focus on my iPad. I have occasionally heard some very offensive talk and I now wish I had reported the offenders.

So, to answer question: NO. I would not let my child play this game at his age. I do not particularly care for the way some of the players chat and would try to limit my child's exposure to that kind of talk for just a little longer. I am the parent and I still have the control! By the time he turns 12 or 13? Well, I guess we will see. I may off hiding somewhere playing Pocket Legends and avoiding my obnoxious teenager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by costalot View Post
    I wouldn't let them play pocket legends for the pure fact that they don't need to be playing on cellphones. They need to be out mowing my lawn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I let my bro -who is 6 years old- play on my HTC Desire sometimes... He has actually tried to play PL (I needed to help him a little)...

My answer is: If I had a 10 year old kid, YES I would let him play PL but only sometimes ^^
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Actona679 View Post
    As a parent of a just-about 10-year-old who often reads in parenting forums, I will preface my opinion with the observation that these kinds of threads can quickly deteriorate into heated debates on best child-rearing practices and who is the better parent. That is not my intention. We all have a right to rear our individual children as best we see fit.

But, I do have an opinion...

I think that the swearing that a child hears in elementary school is more of a rite of passage. It is the use of bad language just to prove that one even knows it exists; the use of bad language to "impress" friends. From what I see in Pocket Legends, the use of vulgar language is more knowing and sexually inappropriate. It is kinda raunchy. The sexual awareness and knowledge of a 13-year-old is vast compared to that of a 10-year-old.

Pocket Legends rates this game 9+ for "Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence". I think they are spot on with that rating with regard to game play. What they haven't taken into account is the chat aspect of this game. I would recommend that they rate it 12+ for that reason.

I have no problem with the mildly explicit chat I hear sometimes in this game. I even think the fart pack is hilarious. I was 13 once I'm sure my potty mouth then could have rivaled the best of what I hear in PL. I'm not so much into it now - but I simply remove myself from a game or towne instance when my eyes start to roll so much that I can't focus on my iPad. I have occasionally heard some very offensive talk and I now wish I had reported the offenders.

So, to answer question: NO. I would not let my child play this game at his age. I do not particularly care for the way some of the players chat and would try to limit my child's exposure to that kind of talk for just a little longer. I am the parent and I still have the control! By the time he turns 12 or 13? Well, I guess we will see. I may off hiding somewhere playing Pocket Legends and avoiding my obnoxious teenager.
    What an articulate well thought out post. Welcome to the forums by the way. I agree with most of your points, and for the record my oldest two girls are 12 and 10. Both have Ipods and can use our WiFi for playing games such as this. Luckily, they are interested in other things and I don't have to worry about this at the moment. In fact, I doubt either could use their Ipod on a regular basis because they are never charged.

But there have been several comments about language and chat in the posts that I wanted to address. The "bad" language in my experience is not a common thing and I play a lot. 99% of players seem to use appropriate discretion in what they say in game chat. I think as a whole the community of players is pretty good about this. The chat filters, when enabled, do a pretty good job. While there are always ways around chat filters, this doesn't appear to be a real problem. And the devs are currently working on features that will potentially automatically ban violators of the language restrictions when chatting. So they are aware of the issue and working hard to address it when it does occur in those rare instances.

Also, I have no problem reporting those that violate the language restrictions in an abusive way. The report button is there for this very reason. Players shouldn't hessitate to use it when neccessary to alert the devs to a problem player. I hope other players do the same. We all have some responsibility as players to keep this game as the devs intended.