Thread: Best 1 hand weapon for hate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best 1 hand weapon for hate

Currently using a Fury Fighter Axe and seem to be losing hate very often. Any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

To get "hate" or aggro off of a weapon, you want it to have high damage to top others aggro values. I would prefer gemstone sword, may be more pricey, but it has more skill damage, and works with the set if you end up getting lucky by looting or buying one. The best, or easiest way to get "hate" or aggro, is to use taunt. Much more effective than trying to top highest value since mages and archers got you bear in the damage category

EDIT:

Just took into consideration that you're a pally or battle bird. In that case, it is hard at times to maintain aggro since you don't have the luxury of taunt, or the high damage of a pure int mage, or a pure dex bird. I would still use sword since most of your damage comes from your skills and the sword has 10 skill damage over the axe. Just my preference.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By "hate" do you mean mob/targets aggro/attention? If you are a warroir/bear this shouldn't be a problem as you should have becon and taunt maxxed (level 6).
    Drekkthar 71 Bear, Arthhas 71 Bird, Ilune 71 Mage,
    Dexxthar 66, Ililith 61, Arthhy 56, Ilunie 51, Arthhaz 41, Iluney 36, Drekky 22, Dexximus 16, Dexxlyn 10, Klusterduck 10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Use a weapon with high damage and spam taunt... But even then, sometimes it's hard to keep aggro (hate), because birds and mages generally have higher damage than bears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is there any way to measure aggro? or how much hate you produce? is it just a counter of who is doing the most damage?

lvl 55 MAGE - Xyoz
    lvl 35 BEAR - ZxThor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Another nice choice for a weapon to get "hate"/aggro would be a bellow's item, either sword or axe. Gives you awesome crit (6 a piece) with fair dodge (8 dodge a piece?) for the cost of lower armor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aye i know to tank hehe, but an example of what i mean is. If pulling a group in the shadow caves with a djinn, i always have the djinn targeted but once everything else is dead, it seems to not want to be hitting me but hitting others, even if I am taunting or using skills. Never had the problem before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xyoz View Post
    is there any way to measure aggro? or how much hate you produce? is it just a counter of who is doing the most damage?
    Ellyidol, Physiologic, and I all tested out aggro in lower level campaigns, we brainstormed for a while, and here is a thread with our theories on the matter:
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...aggro+theories

EDIT:
    Ane, that thread may be helpful in answering your question. Some mobs (mainly bosses) are harder to gain their aggro than others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good read, although with using a harpoon I didn't have this problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't use the fury fighter set, I use the Royal sewer helm and armor, with fury fighter axe and shield. I was under the assumptions these are closer to the "best" stats for a pure tank until crafting. I was told to get the axe because it was more dmg, was I misinformed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have used your exact setup with the sewer and fury mix. Its a very good tank set and much more cost friendly than full fury set. As a tank you can rarely hold all aggro in mobs and sometimes boss also. There are alot of factors one must consider most of them have been covered for the most part. The only thing I didnt see is how are you spec? Pure str or str/dex. For my bear I use two str booster sets to have alot of points in dex to have higher dps and hit %. For me this seems to help hold aggro better than pure str. However you lose some health to deal more damage and still be able to be a good tank. Im in no way an expert nor do I claim to be. What works for me may not work for someone else due to play style. Anyway just trying to help a fellow player out.
    Last edited by Vachdaddy; 04-22-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anezeudacen View Post
    I don't use the fury fighter set, I use the Royal sewer helm and armor, with fury fighter axe and shield. I was under the assumptions these are closer to the "best" stats for a pure tank until crafting. I was told to get the axe because it was more dmg, was I misinformed?
    "Best" set up for a str bear IMO.

Axe has a higher base damage and DPS (Axe damage: 108-128, Damage Sword damage: 112-120. Thanks to Yanis) however the sword has 10 more skill damage (10 more on each skill, so I prefer the sword strongly)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anezeudacen View Post
    An axe has higher weapon damage, a sword has higher skill damage. When tanking you will likely have more use of skill damage, most of the damage should come from your skills, so from slashes, stomps and so on. That's why sword should be the better - and much more expensive - choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    "Best" set up for a str bear IMO.

Axe has a higher base damage and DPS (Axe damage: 108-128, Damage Sword damage: 112-120. Thanks to Yanis) however the sword has 10 more skill damage (10 more on each skill, so I prefer the sword strongly)
    Aaaaargh, you beat me twice in one thread! I'm getting sooo slow without the game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am dual spec STR/DEX, i follow the dex 139 guide. I only switch when there is another bear or at a boss that doesnt hit hard (Queen)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So since we only need about 6 m/s(probably less since GCD) a bodyguard sword would be more efficient than the Axe?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sword has higher skill damage, axe higher reg swing damagw. Not a big diff since you arent shooting for set bonus.
    Drekkthar 71 Bear, Arthhas 71 Bird, Ilune 71 Mage,
    Dexxthar 66, Ililith 61, Arthhy 56, Ilunie 51, Arthhaz 41, Iluney 36, Drekky 22, Dexximus 16, Dexxlyn 10, Klusterduck 10