Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding the new maps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Default Regarding the new maps

I've now explored the new maps, and although the work on the expansion was good and the graphics are superb, once again the logic used by STS baffles me.

Each of the three maps has twice as much space as necessary, with 2 complete routes that can be taken to the boss, running side-by-side. Once people settle in, there will be only one of these routes that people ever use - especially on elite. They will pick the path with the least challenging mobs, and for the rest of eternity the other halves of the rooms will go unused.

I feel that it would have been a far better use of time and resources to leave out the wasted halves of the maps and put those resources in to make another 2 or 3 maps. All that needed to be done was make another 2 or 3 bosses, and move the soon-to-be unused mobs into those zones. The graphics are nice and the mobs and bosses interesting, although I wouldn't want to play this on any class but rogue on a regular basis. I hear warriors spend the whole time stunned, which kind of defeats the purpose of taking one.

Just my two cents.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    I've now explored the new maps, and although the work on the expansion was good and the graphics are superb, once again the logic used by STS baffles me.

Each of the three maps has twice as much space as necessary, with 2 complete routes that can be taken to the boss, running side-by-side. Once people settle in, there will be only one of these routes that people ever use - especially on elite. They will pick the path with the least challenging mobs, and for the rest of eternity the other halves of the rooms will go unused.

I feel that it would have been a far better use of time and resources to leave out the wasted halves of the maps and put those resources in to make another 2 or 3 maps. All that needed to be done was make another 2 or 3 bosses, and move the soon-to-be unused mobs into those zones. The graphics are nice and the mobs and bosses interesting, although I wouldn't want to play this on any class but rogue on a regular basis. I hear warriors spend the whole time stunned, which kind of defeats the purpose of taking one.

Just my two cents.
    its not just the stuns, the bow mobs when do their bomb attack, it wrecks the entire party, warriors were made to soak up damage and allow the DPS to kill the mobs, but here we are stun locked. I need to drop traps and use razor instead....and tanks can die fast with those almost hit bombs, they have a short time to explode as well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

The map feels very simple IMO. I know that AL is supposed to be a pick-up-and-play MMO for mobile, but the mobs seemed organized in such a basic manner. Put a cluster here, walk fifteen paces and put another here.

I guess what I'm really going for are the mobs in question. The AI more specifically. Mobs should be scattered and have the ability to roam the map. They shouldn't just stand there for players in bite-sized chunks.
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ebezaanec For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I agree. The maps are HUGE, but why? I don't see the point in making them so big when only half of it will be ran. Not to mention once the kill count is figured out by everyone we will just be literally running to the end.

The town is also unnecessarily big. It has a ton of empty wasted space. Bigger is not always better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Raregem For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raregem View Post
    I agree. The maps are HUGE, but why? I don't see the point in making them so big when only half of it will be ran. Not to mention once the kill count is figured out by everyone we will just be literally running to the end.

The town is also unnecessarily big. It has a ton of empty wasted space. Bigger is not always better.
    Plus, there's several NPCs that do nothing at all, why not give them a quest or two for ORC tags or something :/?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Visiting For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Visiting View Post
    Plus, there's several NPCs that do nothing at all, why not give them a quest or two for ORC tags or something :/?
    Most of them give quests, but there useless after the quest.
    One quest isn't unlocked till level 46.

Most are token vendors lol, but still all of them have a purpose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by To be or not to be... View Post
    Most of them give quests, but there useless after the quest.
    One quest isn't unlocked till level 46.

Most are token vendors lol, but still all of them have a purpose.
    Guard Bevel and the orc in the cage are the only NPCs that don't really do anything.

Trimis de pe al meu GT-P5100 folosind Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrian View Post
    Guard Bevel and the orc in the cage are the only NPCs that don't really do anything.

Trimis de pe al meu GT-P5100 folosind Tapatalk
    how about uf the guardian gave us a quest to go kill like 75 orcs and give 10tags....?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wazakesy View Post
    its not just the stuns, the bow mobs when do their bomb attack, it wrecks the entire party, warriors were made to soak up damage and allow the DPS to kill the mobs, but here we are stun locked. I need to drop traps and use razor instead....and tanks can die fast with those almost hit bombs, they have a short time to explode as well...
    Well... that one didn't just hurt our party member,that bomb also stuning and damaging his friends lol...

Yesssss.... Time interval between drop and blow really short + sometimes hard to notice since in a few ocasion too many mob charging red zone attack. If sts add 1 or 2 more sec between bomb drop and blow,maybe we can used that bomb againts them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by justhell View Post
    Well... that one didn't just hurt our party member,that bomb also stuning and damaging his friends lol...

Yesssss.... Time interval between drop and blow really short + sometimes hard to notice since in a few ocasion too many mob charging red zone attack. If sts add 1 or 2 more sec between bomb drop and blow,maybe we can used that bomb againts them.
    the blast literally takes place in about less than 1.8s, and using juggernaut in PvE isnt that bad, but maintaining aggro becomes a problem........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

The reason they clumped the mobs was because of lag / dc issues, but having 50-80 mobs in the room that nobody will ever kill just enhances that problem.

If there were more, smaller maps containing only the mobs people were actually going to kill, maybe they wouldn't have to be spaced out in little groups like this, and we could have better mob density. I know it's not likely to be changed at this point, but I believe it would be in everyone's best interest if the designers were looking at logistics like this in the future.
    Last edited by Serancha; 07-05-2015 at 12:45 AM.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I agree that it's a shame so much of the maps are unused at this point; however, it's possible that STS has plans for all that space and also the seemingingly useless NPCs in Garetta. Fibus said in another thread (I'll try and find) in reference to the Northon the Awakened AP (I think, not in game atm and can't remember the precise name) that at least one map will have further content introduced in the future; Northon/whatever it's called awakening, I guess. Lol.

I wonder if the Orc NPC will be involved in a future quest too.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

The reason they clumped the mobs was because of lag / dc issues, but having 50-80 mobs in the room that nobody will ever kill just enhances that problem.

If there were more, smaller maps containing only the mobs people were actually going to kill, maybe they wouldn't have to be spaced out in little groups like this, and we could have better mob density. I know it's not likely to be changed at this point, but I believe it would be in everyone's best interest if the designers were looking at logistics like this in the future.
    Consider when we do elite, if there bigger mobs and aloud to free roam then they will never reset, making it impossible if they clump up together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Isn't there some mini boss that spawns on rare occasion? I saw the AP for that. I guess they haven't implemented it yet. But perhaps that is the reason for the large maps. Maybe to get that mini boss, you have to roam the entire map because he can spawn anywhere? Maybe he will be more than just an AP, perhaps giving good drops? Could make for something interesting if implemented right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Yeah...I think the same way as all of you....too much mob is bad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Isn't there some mini boss that spawns on rare occasion? I saw the AP for that. I guess they haven't implemented it yet. But perhaps that is the reason for the large maps. Maybe to get that mini boss, you have to roam the entire map because he can spawn anywhere? Maybe he will be more than just an AP, perhaps giving good drops? Could make for something interesting if implemented right.
    it was removed a while ago, its something for future development. Perhaps this boss should spawn better than Bael 2 or Krunch two, these 2 bosses never spawn in a millennia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Agreed! There is not really much point in having more mobs in the maps than are needed to spawn the boss... players very quickly work out how precisely how many they need to kill in each map and which route is the easiest/most efficient to reach the boss.. after this has been worked out the extra mobs are not touched again for the rest of the season. It just seems like a waste... especially with the increased amount of lag right now (I am dc'ing left right and centre and I'm not alone).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmony View Post
    Agreed! There is not really much point in having more mobs in the maps than are needed to spawn the boss... players very quickly work out how precisely how many they need to kill in each map and which route is the easiest/most efficient to reach the boss.. after this has been worked out the extra mobs are not touched again for the rest of the season. It just seems like a waste... especially with the increased amount of lag right now (I am dc'ing left right and centre and I'm not alone).
    Hah! Don't say that. They'll adjust it so that there is mob clusters of 1-2.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravager For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ravager View Post
    Hah! Don't say that. They'll adjust it so that there is mob clusters of 1-2.
    Or just make it so a certain number of those hulking brutes need to be killed to spawn the boss.

Those things definitely kept us on our toes (at least the times were weren't running and screaming).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carmine_blade View Post
    I agree that it's a shame so much of the maps are unused at this point; however, it's possible that STS has plans for all that space and also the seemingingly useless NPCs in Garetta. Fibus said in another thread (I'll try and find) in reference to the Northon the Awakened AP (I think, not in game atm and can't remember the precise name) that at least one map will have further content introduced in the future; Northon/whatever it's called awakening, I guess. Lol.

I wonder if the Orc NPC will be involved in a future quest too.
    Seems like the gnome implies another potential area too (when you kill of the boss in the 3rd map). Just wondering if there is more that will be unveiled, 3 maps doesn't seem like much, especially when the other areas have 4 or 5.