Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GoA role: Idea beta tester?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Lightbulb GoA role: Idea beta tester?

Let's be honest: some of your recent specialty item ideas have not been popular, no matter what you do. As developers, your choice is law in the game of course... But wouldn't it be much easier to introduce something if it has been passed thru and looked at from a players point of view too? Tweakes suggested, issues with public attested, already discussed?

Not only could it help you guys at STS have easier transitions for radical updates, but could also let us GoA do what their status implies: help the community.
    Even we can be caught a little off guard by sudden changes, but given the chance to talk it out before you guys throw it on us we can more easily mediate forum rage and fears.

Maybe the GoA populace is too small right now, but it will grow.
    Best method to implement this would probably have to be private areas to the forum, only viewable if you set your status from senior member to Guardian.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

My take on it is that STS is moving too fast.

All the tell tale signs are there: GCD, Vanities that change, Unfinished dungeons showing up... to name a few. Needs to slow down, can't please everyone and releasing things too quick leads to double backing and quick fixes.

Don't get me wrong it is a great game. I am just thinking that perhaps the release process needs to slow down a bit. The more content the more opportunities for mix ups. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    My take on it is that STS is moving too fast.

All the tell tale signs are there: GCD, Vanities that change, Unfinished dungeons showing up... to name a few. Needs to slow down, can't please everyone and releasing things too quick leads to double backing and quick fixes.

Don't get me wrong it is a great game. I am just thinking that perhaps the release process needs to slow down a bit. The more content the more opportunities for mix ups. Just my 2 cents.
    Don't forget the bald mages
    Just trying to lighten the mood!

I agree, though. Lots of big changes in such a short amount of time. Lots of mixed messages coming through, and I, for one, am not sure what to make of any of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The bald mage was hilarious though
    IGNs: BlazeMystic (Mage) / FeatherLite (Bird) / BearlyMystic (Int Bear)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMystic View Post
    Sinéad O'Connor FTW! lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

RE: Content-delivery:

Don't forget that the devs technology allows them to add things very rapidly and equally respond to feedback very rapidly with updates... might explain why they roll things out and get real-feedback straightaway and then act on it over the next 24/48Hrs. Sure the devs slip up here and there but faster pace > slower pace imo for mmo is better (so long as game performance is kept high ~ servers down was out of their hands)

OP: I definitely think you guys should be "in-the-know" or some-such as you are dependable players for feedback not just vocal players!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ratava View Post
    RE: Content-delivery:

Don't forget that the devs technology allows them to add things very rapidly and equally respond to feedback very rapidly with updates... might explain why they roll things out and get real-feedback straightaway and then act on it over the next 24/48Hrs. Sure the devs slip up here and there but faster pace > slower pace imo for mmo is better (so long as game performance is kept high ~ servers down was out of their hands)

OP: I definitely think you guys should be "in-the-know" or some-such as you are dependable players for feedback not just vocal players!
    true, they can pretty quickly reverse or fix things. but there are problems that they cant as easily fix without there being a strong reaction.
    if the devs take away the newly acquired shields for example...
    when people get frustrated they quit. while a few players quitting means little, saving them means a lot. if we could calmly explain the pros and cons to radical changes like the stat change, the global skill cooldown, who knows? we might have less threads getting locked and less rage posts everywhere. (have you checked out the facebook page? ugh)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Any screenshots? I missed out.
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neko View Post
    Any screenshots? I missed out.
    I posted one under one of the devs' threads that was posted right after the Easter event came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    IGNs: BlazeMystic (Mage) / FeatherLite (Bird) / BearlyMystic (Int Bear)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Ah, there it is! Forgot I created a new thread for it lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    Let's be honest: some of your recent specialty item ideas have not been popular, no matter what you do. As developers, your choice is law in the game of course... But wouldn't it be much easier to introduce something if it has been passed thru and looked at from a players point of view too? Tweakes suggested, issues with public attested, already discussed?

Not only could it help you guys at STS have easier transitions for radical updates, but could also let us GoA do what their status implies: help the community.
    Even we can be caught a little off guard by sudden changes, but given the chance to talk it out before you guys throw it on us we can more easily mediate forum rage and fears.

Maybe the GoA populace is too small right now, but it will grow.
    Best method to implement this would probably have to be private areas to the forum, only viewable if you set your status from senior member to Guardian.

Well said, I agree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wrap View Post
    Well said, I agree
    first person to comment on the actual idea beta testing topic, even if short lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

first person to comment on the actual idea beta testing topic, even if short lol
    I was attempting to add to your idea by saying the content seemed released too fast therefore needs more testing. I guess I forgot that bit. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know how beta testing would work without a separate set of servers, whether or not patch changes are compatible if everyone is not on that patch level, but I strongly encourage STS to think about beta testing. I imagine the Join button messup could have been caught that way along with the other issues already mentioned. If only I lived in Austin. I would totally apply to STS to work on their quality control.

I did beta testing for Battle for Wesnoth when it was first being released. I believe Apple supports up to 100 accounts that can be identified/licensed in an app that is delivered outside of the normal iTunes method.
    PL: Jemnus - Lvl 54 Archer; Nasoji - Lvl 54 Enchanter; CaptainUrsa - Lvl 35 Bear;
    AL: Jemnidad - Lvl 30 Sorceror; Starkazm - Lvl 13 Rogue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Running the ideas through to us an having a separate server for us to try out on. I like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

its not exactly asking for a server, just to see what ideas sound like, on paper/forum page

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Or just let me design an item or two or three.. Or four. Maybe 5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

its not exactly asking for a server, just to see what ideas sound like, on paper/forum page
    More like a think-tank... Re: Those shields, just read up on those and actually THAT would be a prime sorta example imo to pass the idea over you peeps first. Although chinese whispers is always a problem... and ppl pestering you because they heard you knew all sorts of whacky suggestions: "I'll give you xy&zee if only you'll... you can even hint it... you never told me anything!"

STS: You've got to anticipate the reaction of the "have nots" and "the haves" and not change the terms of the gift after announcement because of the former only to be back to square one with the latter!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

A section of the forum for GoA. Yes. A group to run ideas by, the GoA. Yes. Play testing by Guardians. Yes.

We all continue to do those other things that made them pick us, because that's how we roll, but these additional ideas, which the devs HAVE discussed, are awesome.

What d'ya say, devs? You know we playtest prety hard. We can give you some awesome feedback for B* or for the Caves you accidentally showed us (that still has two levels under construction, LOL). We can tell you how people will react to some rewards ideas. Stuff like that.

But if you do, devs, be sure to add a few of the constantly complaining people so you can have a good sample base.