Thread: Mages monsters?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default Mages monsters?

Ok i've been farming Gold Rush for four days now with nothing. I have learned however that certain groups are much better at effeciently killing Gold Rush with as little casualties as possible. But with people not continuing through all games, you tend to get jumbled teams. Some of the best random teams i've been in are:
    1. A well balanced group of two archers (atleast one should be well armored and experienced) two experienced mages and one semi-good tank with a strong level 50 set like Hate for taking Gold's heavy hits.
    2. I had a team where me and two level 53 archers killed Gold Rush.( Very fun, and challenging)
    3. A team of 3 good archers, and two good mages.
    4. BEST ONE SO FAR: Me a level 52 archer and all the other members mages that love to spam all attacks, buffs, debuffs, and heals. One of the mages was a level 49 dex mage, but the others were all suited out in int gear. I had on a scattered array of level 50 equips (mostly cyber) and we totally annihalated Gold rush in under a minute with only one death (my fault as i got too close when he was buffed). I seriously wonder if mages are the best class as they have fairly good armor, with constant aoe attacks keeping them out of their enemies way, and they can heal giving them a large advantage over most opponents.

With all the teams listed above I might use one or two manna or health pots a run if the teams a little slow or unorganized, helping me save alot of money, but i don't think I ever even touched the health pot button the entire level with this last team. The whole level was like 1 min. even with boss. BTW did I mention highest level was 53? I read like all of Physios guides as they have made me an "epic" archer allowing me to tank, and even solo gold rush (even though I power leveled him in AO3 from level 36) when needed so the team can respawn, we tried his rush bait technique this level and I was the bait, but I never had to draw back a safe distance as the mages melted enemies around me before they could even attack me.

No other class can spam attacks like them to stay alive, i've seen teams of all mages solo every level in the game just to farm or level!! They, in my opinion, truly are the most dangerous class in the game. Any agreements/opposing arguments? Anyone else got a crazy story of how epic mage teams can be when they know what they're doing?
    If so plz post below!
    Last edited by Coltona; 04-26-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Being a Mage, I must agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    Being a Mage, I must agree.
    Lol my mage is level 16, but I learned early on I can solo levels way ahead of me (before update) and not die a single time. As my first character was a warrior, and now I have an arhcer I might love more than my bear, my mage really is my pride and joy. I love the rush of a huge mob with a terribly hard boss attacking me while I round them up and wipe them out without any trouble while higher level characters have trouble keeping up with me. Some of them (warriors included) follow me so i heal them before they fall around me screaming "MEDIC!!"...Lol it's a good feeling being beast.

I also learned that when we run in as a group I honestly survive better while holding the team together healing them all around the room while continuously attacking.
    Last edited by Coltona; 04-26-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Nice article...until your last paragraph. To suggest one class is "best" is pointless and will just open a never-ending debate. I could make cases that archers are more important than mages, and I am sure some of the warrior experts could say that the bowbear is the best overall class for PvE. I hate threads that claim one set of gear is the best, or one class is the best. It is all in who is driving the character. PERIOD.

Now go solo the Overlord with no pots, and I will take a nap. Wake me up when you are close to finishing. I'm exaggerating totally, but every class has strengths and weaknesses.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 04-26-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Lol I agree completely, but i remember when the mage was the preverbial "weakest" class in the game since they seemed to die in one hit and needed constant protection from someone whou could take the hits for them, however, as the game has progressed it seems that they're either getting better "drivers" or becoming a stronger all-around class.A team of two or three seems to hold together better than a team of warriors who have higher defenses. Honestly it's like they're becoming the new tank in the game with less deaths per round than any other character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Less deaths only if they are pally, and then they lose a lot of skill damage. Pure Int and Dex Archers are still vulnerable but do great damage as a tradeoff. Mages are better rounded now than in times past, but I still completely disagree that any class is "best". Again, a skilled player can take any class and make it a "monster" or a lousy player can be on a hypothetical "best" class and be terrible.

There is no "best class". Every strength of a class is countered by a weakness, generally speaking. I have been on parties of 5 birds that mowed through Hideout without breaking a sweat, and we were joking that "Who needs mages?" although we all knew that a good mage is awesome in a party too.

It is all in the skill of the player, regardless of class.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 04-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would love to agree with you as my first and somewhat main char is a mage. but i cannot. i am not going to do a breakdown of how one class is better than another because i agree with some of the last comments concerning how its the player and not the class; up to a point that is. what i will say is that in MY experience, mages can be monsters , and a major liability. the implementation of GCD has completely thrown my familiarity with my mage's strengths right out the window. monsters in-so-much as having ranged attacks, excellent buff/debuff spells, nuke ability ( although this is where GCD has really hampered me lately), and of course the abilities to both heal and revive. 3 or more mages together in one party can completely obliterate most levels. the liability IMO is the unfortunate probability of dying at exactly the wrong time. also in the liability column, ( and i also have been guilty of this, so please no comments about mage bashing...), are the multitudes of mages who seem to think that they are indeed tanks, especially when they are in groups where there are only one or two mages. but for me playing a mage was definately a great decision. i just place more focus on my tank now mainly due to GCD stress than for any other reason. ***not true... i love my tank***

but each class type does have its own strengths and weaknesses.

i have to say that a full party of high level, well played str bears can decimate any level just as well as any same group of mages. i've seen that as well. same with archers.

so mages are not unique to that situation...
    Last edited by Wolfling; 04-26-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: improper grammar due to brain damage and lack of sleep

Sidebar, HA! Even the PL programming team is ursan powered! BEAR WIN! -- Ellyidol
    Wolfling -- O.G. Bear ( non power-leveled )_53_

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

As a bear, I greatly understand the value of a good Mage. But at the same time, I recognize that they are a 'necessary evil' per se. The 'evil' part is because I often find my self trying to tank for them but they like to run ahead and take the hits themselves....
    I digress. I feel that mages have come a long way in being developed into a better class since the early days (I've been playing since June) while archers have remained powerful but bears have been left behind. Try and play with a party of five bears and see how that turns out, then try and play with all mages or all birds. Pure domination.

Anyway, I have a mage too so I can see where youre coming from. I like playing bear better though

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

My favorite group composition would be 1 mage 4 archers
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Mhm.. You all make very good points in your posts, and yes I have to agree with you all mages have come along way and yes it does depend on the person controlling the character and not just on how good the character is in itself. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, how I've never seen a solid team of all mages really just completely dominate a map up until now, and the more I look into it I realize yes they are quite powerful, but then again all classes have their own pros and cons that each other class makes up for in a team. Any well rounded team can obliterate any level without trouble. Another thig I forgot was gcd it really has slowed down my mages ability to nuke everything in a room before anyone can move a muscle. Thanks for posting your opinions guys!

Moral of this thread: No one class is any "better" than another, they're different, but better in different ways and it really does depend on the persons playing style along with several other factors to make a good character and a good team.

Never really thought it like this until now. Well that solves that, anyone want pretzels? Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Do not forget Mage has strengths and weaknesses.
    I find my mage being able to deal high but received a lot of damage.
    Also in terms of soloing, Mage is good at some bosses, but is usesless at others.
    In terms of this, yesterday I was at Gurgox and asked my friend to help, and she said Gurgox is one of the worst bosses that Mage cannot solo, get an archer. Eventually I got a team of 5 mages and we slowly slammed and took down Gurgox. Took too long, and too many deaths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

of course, i favor the mages well cause i am one. the ability to heal and revive is too powerful. but that doesnt mean that other characters cant be powerful too. bears are made for tanking and have twice as much health as a mage, that is if youre full int and i dont see why a mage wouldnt be because being any other skill cuts a mage's spells power in half. And birds are made for sniping and weakening the opponent. we are all made for something and we all play an important role in pl. there is no "best" character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

and gurgox is not hard at all, i could solo him easily. just grab the power orbs, in my opinion gurgox is harder with more people because we are always fighting over the orbs. sometimes one may say call an orb and stick to it but this is completely useless. if gurgox is on one side of the room and your orb is on the other, you will obviously die when he roars. this wastes time and mana for the mages

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coltongadkins View Post
    Ok i've been farming Gold Rush for four days now with nothing. I have learned however that certain groups are much better at effeciently killing Gold Rush with as little casualties as possible. But with people not continuing through all games, you tend to get jumbled teams. Some of the best random teams i've been in are:
    1. A well balanced group of two archers (atleast one should be well armored and experienced) two experienced mages and one semi-good tank with a strong level 50 set like Hate for taking Gold's heavy hits.
    2. I had a team where me and two level 53 archers killed Gold Rush.( Very fun, and challenging)
    3. A team of 3 good archers, and two good mages.
    4. BEST ONE SO FAR: Me a level 52 archer and all the other members mages that love to spam all attacks, buffs, debuffs, and heals. One of the mages was a level 49 dex mage, but the others were all suited out in int gear. I had on a scattered array of level 50 equips (mostly cyber) and we totally annihalated Gold rush in under a minute with only one death (my fault as i got too close when he was buffed). I seriously wonder if mages are the best class as they have fairly good armor, with constant aoe attacks keeping them out of their enemies way, and they can heal giving them a large advantage over most opponents.

With all the teams listed above I might use one or two manna or health pots a run if the teams a little slow or unorganized, helping me save alot of money, but i don't think I ever even touched the health pot button the entire level with this last team. The whole level was like 1 min. even with boss. BTW did I mention highest level was 53? I read like all of Physios guides as they have made me an "epic" archer allowing me to tank, and even solo gold rush (even though I power leveled him in AO3 from level 36) when needed so the team can respawn, we tried his rush bait technique this level and I was the bait, but I never had to draw back a safe distance as the mages melted enemies around me before they could even attack me.

No other class can spam attacks like them to stay alive, i've seen teams of all mages solo every level in the game just to farm or level!! They, in my opinion, truly are the most dangerous class in the game. Any agreements/opposing arguments? Anyone else got a crazy story of how epic mage teams can be when they know what they're doing?
    If so plz post below!
    Yes! Mages rule! I have a level 36 dexchantress and I can still spam all my moves from level 30 I could kill the D'jinn easily

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mothwing View Post
    of course, i favor the mages well cause i am one. the ability to heal and revive is too powerful. but that doesnt mean that other characters cant be powerful too. bears are made for tanking and have twice as much health as a mage, that is if youre full int and i dont see why a mage wouldnt be because being any other skill cuts a mage's spells power in half. And birds are made for sniping and weakening the opponent. we are all made for something and we all play an important role in pl. there is no "best" character.
    and that's why we mix stats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

WHO SAID PRETZELS?!?!?!?!? GIMME!!!!! just another award to put in my beautiful sig....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

ill trade u 10 mothballs for 100 pretzels XD mothballs are extremely hard to earn since i am very picky on who i give them out to