Thread: Lv46 Mage Assault or Brutality? Quick PvE Gear Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Default Lv46 Mage Assault or Brutality? Quick PvE Gear Guide

Hi guys,
    wanted to give some insight on the new Legendary Sorcerer sets available for level 46. So if u are unsure which set suits ur playstyle the best, read on.
    I will not go indepth onto the numbers and digits here, since u are all free to compare them urself in the auction house. I will give u my point of view and a simple guideline on which set fits ur goals for PvE.

Why not Lethality?
    Obviously as a Mage we want to deal damage and there is another option that promises even more damage than Assault or Brutality. Lethality offers in exchange for a secondary stat a critical strike bonus in addition to the huge damage bonus. In my opinion though, this option costs u way too much survivability. Yes, u gain an immense amount of DPS through all that crit bonus, but I doubt it is worth the loss of more than 1k(!) hp. U simply need some survivability to consistently run elites without burning through all ur Ankhs.

As most of u noticed STS relatively lowered the Str stat on Brutality gear for lv46. While most Brutality gear grants u 20+ Str, Assault provides u 30+ Dex. 10 points per gear par are huge! On a full legendary set, that makes a difference is 50 statpoints!
    Because of this most people I talked with said that Assault is now obviously much better and this picture continues if u compare the prices in auction house.
    So why exactly is Assault so much more popular?
    Most people know that every Str point provides 10hp and Dex provides u with some additional damage, increased crit/dodge and decent 5hp per statpoint.
    So if Assault gives 50% more Dex than Brutality would grant Str, the Hp gap of both sides gets slimmer. That is why most people think Assault is so much better.

So why am I writing this? I apparently might have something to say in favour of the Brutality set right?
    It is quite simple. Str just scales too well with Arcane Shield.
    (((2*strength)+intelligence)*3)
    100 Str points increase increase the shield size by 600 hp!
    On the new Rengol maps, stuns are a big deal and even though STS confirmed to make some adjustments there, I assume stuns are still going to be a threat in the upcoming elite maps. Arcane Shield grants u stun immunity and surviability, which has two effects, it safes Ankhs and increases ur dps. Since every time u gotta revive or u lay on the ground for multiple second, u obviously can not attack.

Let's talk about builds!
    The most important factor to decide wether or not u want to use an Assault or Brutality set is the skillset u plan to run Rengol elites with.
    U have the choice between 4 Damage builds:
    Ice, Fire, Time and Lightning
    and a build with Arcane Shield:
    Ice, Fire, Time and Arcance Shield.
    Both builds are very viable and considering that survivability and stun immunity grants u indirectly increased DPS, there should not be too big of a difference in ur farming speed.
    The choice of ur build should solely depend on ur preferance. I personally run the Shield build and swap Time with Lightning once reaching a boss and feel confortable with that style.
    If u are not a big fan of Arcane Shield and u want to run with Lightning pretty much all the time, Assault seems to be a must. It's slightly higher damage and 5%+ critical strike chance just scales too well with Lightning.

So before u rush and spend all ur gold on an Assault set, ask urself where ur preferances in skillsets lie. Are u big fan of Arcance Shield? Feel free to try out Brutality and otherwise jump on the trails of the Assault hype train.
    Last edited by Lastmind; 07-15-2015 at 07:59 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lastmind For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your skill map set in this then? Sorry I'm new so it may be obvious....but are you using fire/ice/gale/shield?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I have been looking at the new gears and i am super confused what gear to get... Padded of assault, Padded of Brut, Foragers armors... Its been a problem for me and im basically waiting out to see other people's choices on mage gear. Id love to maintain 3.8-4k health and 700 damage. Dont know what the best new gear is to do that because one increases damage but kills health while the other increases health but kills damage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

Best gear is imbued helm and chest of assault.

Affordable is foragers armor of assault, supreme helm of assault.

I'm wearing level 36 mythic helm and foragers of assault currently. If you have the mythic pendant you will have no problem reaching over 4k hp. I am sitting around 4.5k+ hp with arcane ring, mythic pendant, elo rifle, foragers of assault and level 36 mythic helm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've been thinking since the new gears from ocr slaying quest tags. The one for mage is foragers or warfare (something or was it helm. .) Is consider for mage so be best If you got that gear.. and plus warfare adds about 40-50 armor.. does that make a big difference if compared to assault and brutality?

Assault = attack
    Brutality = strength (for shield)
    Warfare = armor
    Lethality = dex.........