View Poll Results: Would you like to see enemy hitpoints (and your enemy to see yours) in PvP?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • No: I like the mystery and suspense

24 24.00%
  • Yes: Let everyone know where they stand

76 76.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: PvP - Enemy Health Bars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    Hey - sorry for not responding to this thread when it was introduced...

I am very strongly against showing your targets' health bars in Arena combat. As a result I have convinced the rest of the team here at Spacetime to hold on making any changes to the system for now

My reasoning is: you can target from any distance in the arena and once you can see health bars you will (wisely) attack only the weakest character on the opposing team. This will expedite your team victories but in many multiple games this will get very boring... and will motivate anyone with less than 100% health to quit the instance to preserve their Kills / Deaths ratio (which will become much more meaningful in the future as we develop leaderboards, etc.).

Pocket Legends PvP is way more fun with this thin shroud of mystery.

So - this issue may certainly come up again (as do all issues relevant to PvP) over time - but for now, there will be no enemy health-bars in PvP Arenas.

Thanks,

- Cinco
    Well, that's disappointing. I would totally like to be able to know at what perfect moment to blast shot a ho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I'm more interested in just knowing that I'm making progress. Auto attacked bear with snipers bayou bow for 30 seconds and nothing happened....had to regen my mana than spam skills just to kill him. He never attacked it would be nice to see if he was at 100 the whole time, or very slowly going down or what.

Also save the combos for the final hit for effect would be fun :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aerospacegod View Post
    I'm more interested in just knowing that I'm making progress. Auto attacked bear with snipers bayou bow for 30 seconds and nothing happened....had to regen my mana than spam skills just to kill him. He never attacked it would be nice to see if he was at 100 the whole time, or very slowly going down or what.

I have that problem to, use my bow and hit someone for a minute and apparently not deal a point of damage. Then they turn around, do the ice storm fire combo and I instantly die if im lucky. Normally it is an archer who just turns and one shots me.
    The two words that show off ones truly horrific values - Epic and Fail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aerospacegod View Post

this is what i mean, shooting someone down not knowing what health they are at is a very bad direction to move. the tactics involved in this game should be revolved knowing the other class and knowing their buffs, lets say you fight a archer, you wouldnt attack him when hes got evasion would you? this is the sort of thing im saying, not knowing what the other is doing or what health he is at makes the game more like spam buttons until the other is dead than about tactics

although since everyone dies in 2 seconds anyway i suppose my logic is flawed :/

but the majority want health bars to be shown, at least implement it and then see if anyone complains after
    Sayishere - Archer.

Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Long live democracy!

6.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #26
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,178 Posts

Showing active buffs and power-ups is a different story - obviously. You can tell when a character has the "Evade" or the "Rage" buff on them because of effects in-game.
    These effects (and others like them) will continue to be visible whenever you play

- Cinco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

why not make it specific to certain arenas?

then let people play where they want?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hmm, I got it wrong, think Cinco is correct due to the smaller numbers involved. That's true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I am very strongly against showing your targets' health bars in Arena combat. As a result I have convinced the rest of the team here at Spacetime to hold on making any changes to the system for now

My reasoning is: you can target from any distance in the arena and once you can see health bars you will (wisely) attack only the weakest character on the opposing team. This will expedite your team victories but in many multiple games this will get very boring... and will motivate anyone with less than 100% health to quit the instance to preserve their Kills / Deaths ratio (which will become much more meaningful in the future as we develop leaderboards, etc.).

So - this issue may certainly come up again (as do all issues relevant to PvP) over time - but for now, there will be no enemy health-bars in PvP Arenas.

Thanks,

- Cinco
    well, attacking the weakest is part of the strategy.
    in most other multiplayer games, if someone wants to win, they go after the weakest on the other team.
    Wetphart Level 41 Dex Bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FriedSushi View Post
    well, attacking the weakest is part of the strategy.
    in most other multiplayer games, if someone wants to win, they go after the weakest on the other team.
    I agree attacking the weak & injured is my preferred plan. It makes sense to thin-out the enemy's team, but in other MMO's you have probably many more players ie using another metaphor from Nature, there's "safety in numbers"!

But small groups in PL's the weak would be singled out too easily with no time to fall back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Banned View Post
    Well, that's disappointing. I would totally like to be able to know at what perfect moment to blast shot a ho.
    This is how I feel about health bars. But I understand that with the smaller arenas , it would be too easy to target people with low health.

Still it's part of the strategy involved. Whether to run or not. When to pursue...
    Syacoff - lvl 35 Archer - Alterra
    Sahdatay - lvl 35 Bowchantress - Alterra
    Thumbo - lvl 10 Bearzerker (Leaving him low on purpose. Wanna check out low lvl PvP too)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks,

- Cinco
    Le sigh.
    Its just so exciting to have to completely ignore anything with a plate shield and most warriors while going in circles only targeting the enchantresses and archers without evasion up..... whilst only being effective with cooldowns up.

Again, targeting should show an enemies health bar, I can't think of an mmo that doesn't do this. Or at the very least implement a graphic change for a character at half health. Maybe some blood showing or something?

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's unfortunate you're so strongly against this Cinco.

I feel like PvP should be as strategic as possible and less about randomness (crit, hit, and dodge add randomness). When it comes to competing against other players, making the match about who makes the best move rather than who makes the luckiest move just seems better to me. If players are going to be rated on their Kill / Death ratio in PvP then they should be given the tools to work towards this rather than depending on luck. The reasoning that players will leaving an instance when see their hit points are low doesn't seem like a sound argument against exposing hitpoints because I think players who are going to do this will do it regardless since they know that the next AE (or whatever) will kill them anyway.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I think hiding enemy health is more strategic than showing it. It means people need to focus and remember who the target was if they lose LoS, get clumped up, die and come back, etc. It means you have to actually watch what is going on with players in the game rather than watch bars. Not that I don't like games with bars, just saying, it does have its merits that make it more than 'random'.

PS - Hiding bars gives a lot of fights that whole, "WHY... WON'T... YOU... DIEEEE!!!!!!!" feeling. Which is pretty epic.

Guardian of Alterra King Richie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Oh im soooooo happy that your not allowing it ... THANK GOD !! i luv the surprise but i would love if you even showed the health of the targeted enemy so u know when to hit them with the BS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Honestly i may disagree with not seeing a targets health bars, but at least cinco and the gang are actively developing the game.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For sure, yes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Wait, I didn't even notice that Justg was the one that posted this poll. Why would one dev ask us whether or not we want a feature, and then another dev come and completely refute it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The idea was probably up for consideration and JustG wanted to run it by us, to get player feedback. Cinco didn't see the thread and after his evaluation decided against it. Hence popping in late in the forum discussion.

Of course, I'm just guessing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Bump, what happened to this? What do you guys think of this today?

The reason STS didn't implement this is described above, but what about making it as in PVE? Let the health bars be hided until you attack your target. Enemy health bar would make it much more easier to strategic use the right abilities against that target and also gives a bit more thinking into PVP. Would be nice if STS could discuss this question again after almost two years!
    Last edited by Caztori; 01-11-2013 at 01:01 PM.