Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longest essay ever written/typed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Default Longest essay ever written/typed?

Hey guys, just wondering what the longest essay you have ever written in your life?
    Im around my 4.5th page out of 6...luckily its all double spaced like im supposed to do

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I'm doing a 2000 word essay as we speak, they usually do it by words now in University. I had a 20 page one in high-school, but it was a book report so it was fairly easy

What's yours on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Mines a book report too^^ Its called The Painted Veil, its really hard to write my essay cause I left the book at school and we're on holidays now:-/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Ohh.. How are you submitting it? Electronically or just hard copy?

I have some tips, depending on how you submit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Ohh.. How are you submitting it? Electronically or just hard copy?

I have some tips, depending on how you submit
    I have to print it...I think because our teacher said make it double sided, which you can't do electronically
    Btw how do I make a reference page? Just put URL of website?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beanmachine View Post
    I have to print it...I think because our teacher said make it double sided, which you can't do electronically
    Btw how do I make a reference page? Just put URL of website?
    If it's printed, just search for a summary of the book in the internet and re-word it. Looked down upon, but it's just a book report anyway. All summaries would be the same since it's the same story

We can't just reword in Uni cause we submit electronically through a plagarism checking website, they can't check for plagirism if it's printed and re-worded well, especially on book reports - a marker himself told me that

I use this guide for referencing when I forget :

http://elearning.tafe.tas.edu.au/lib...eference03.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Im now doing a series of 5 essays based On documents (DBQ)
    But that will take about 10 pages
    But i did a 10-page report on the history of salt. Single spaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    If it's printed, just search for a summary of the book in the internet and re-word it. Looked down upon, but it's just a book report anyway. All summaries would be the same since it's the same story

We can't just reword in Uni cause we submit electronically through a plagarism checking website, they can't check for plagirism if it's printed and re-worded well, especially on book reports - a marker himself told me that

I use this guide for referencing when I forget :

http://elearning.tafe.tas.edu.au/lib...eference03.htm
    Oh sorry I forgot lol, he gives us 5 choices of questions to expand about the book Not sure if that counts as a book report:/
    Btw you only pick one
    That link was very good thx! What about websites though, like Wikipedia? For the main source, I think i'll just put the book and author and other stuff needed, then for secondary references, do i put wiki?
    Last edited by Beanmachine; 04-30-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: I wrote "pink" instead of "pick" epic PL fail lol, Wrote lol twice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kossi View Post
    Im now doing a series of 5 essays based On documents (DBQ)
    But that will take about 10 pages
    But i did a 10-page report on the history of salt. Single spaced.
    10 pages wow! How long do you have to do them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I wrote a 5 page practice research paper on da Vinci. For a contest, I wrote a 10 page unfinished story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ayc2000 View Post
    I wrote a 5 page practice research paper on da Vinci. For a contest, I wrote a 10 page unfinished story.
    Single spaced?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Yep... Hated it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Single spaced is just so impractical too. It's so hard to read! At least 1.5 spacing.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Any disertation writers out there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

If anyone wants to read my essay so far here it is, I havent checked it yet:/ One more page to go

P.S I dont expect you to read this, maybe just see how long it is?

William Somerset Maugham was an English playwright, novelist, and a short story writer. In 1925, Maugham wrote about a love story called the Painted Veil. It shows the flaws in marriage, the changing of one’s personalities, but most importantly the regret of not caring and spending enough time with a loved one who would pass away before you knew it. In this story, the married couple doesn’t return the love back to each other, until they started to share true love. In order for this to happen, they need to change and work together. Kitty, the wife, began to truly love her husband after she stayed in Southern China for a while. Before that, Kitty was very different in England and Hong Kong. In this essay I will be discussing how the different locations which include: England, Hong Kong, and Southern China and how these changed Kitty.
    The Painted Veil tells us a story about this vain woman called Kitty Garstin. She is pretty but on the other hand is very shallow. Her mum is trying to get her sister, Doris, and Kitty married to successful people who have connections and a good job, no matter what personality they have. At a party, Kitty meets a bacteriologist, Walter Fane. Walter is attracted to Kitty, and proposes to her later. She marries him, but for the wrong reasons as she does not love Walter. She only married him to get away from her family and as an older sister; she also wants to marry before her younger sister, Doris. When the new couple moves from England to Hong Kong, China, Kitty cheats on Walter and commits adultery with another man called Charlie Townsend. Upset and humiliated, Walter who has always been silent, threatens to file a divorce in public to get Kitty and Charlie into trouble. The other option he gives Kitty, is a life threatening journey to the heart of a cholera epidemic in a remote town in China, Mei-Tan-Fu. Kitty does not want to go back to her family if they divorce, leading her with no choice but to accompany Walter to Mei-Tan-Fu. Walter volunteers to look after the sick because he has a kind heart and an M.D degree. However his secret intention was to hope that Kitty would catch cholera resulting in her death. During their stay in a Bungalow, Kitty thinks about what she’s done and tries to change. Nearing the end of Walter’s death, both of them start to share true love at once. Walter, who had been over-working, catches cholera because he didn’t have enough strength in his immunity system, and passes away. Kitty regrets all the sins she had done that got both of them into this mess. She comes back to England later, only to find out her mother died. She decides to stay with her father as a widow.
    The first place where Kitty and Walter meet starts in England which is a well-known place. Here is where Kitty was raised up, lived in for most of her life, and eventually cause all this trouble. Between 1921 and 1922, there was a vast change in drinking habits at night clubs and parties. Kitty loved going to parties, two reasons, because she loved dancing and she was also looking for a successful man to marry. At a few of the many countless parties Kitty attended, Walter had seen her and instantly fell in love. Although he asked her to dance a couple of times, Kitty did not realize that Walter was deeply in love with her. This shows how shallow and ignorant Kitty was at the start of the book. At one of the parties, she admits she forgot Walter’s name even though he told her before. She tries to cover this by claiming that she danced with many people and couldn’t possibly remember everyone. At this point, Kitty is spoiled by this luxurious life that she doesn’t need to care about because her dad pays for all the family expenses. England, as well as other European countries was very wealthy which potentially made the prices of goods expensive, which could be why Kitty didn’t have a happy, healthy family. When Walter and Kitty get married, they plan to move to Hong Kong. This allowed Kitty to get away from her family, regardless of how she treated Walter with no affection.
    Kitty and her new husband moved to Hong Kong, a colony that was part of the British Empire. Westerners and very few Chinese people were looked up to as elite or superior to the locals. One example was that in the late 19th century, Chinese people were not allowed to live in elite areas such as Victoria Peak. Kitty had some sense of power, and decided to use it for the bad. During the two years of their marriage, Kitty did not really try to know Walter, to understand him. On the other hand, Walter tried to show his love but in fact does not try enough for Kitty to see it. These contradicting factors could be the reason why Kitty suffered from boredom, plus she kept justifying that it was Walter’s fault for being so boring but did not criticize herself. This eventually led to Kitty and Charlie, another shallow Westerner committing adultery in Hong Kong. The whole action taken by the two forced Kitty to accompany Walter on his dangerous trip to Mei-Tan-Fu partly because of two reasons: because Hong Kong was a small colony; everybody knew most of the colony. If a few people find out what Kitty had done, word would spread rapidly, humiliating all of them, Kitty, Charlie, and even Walter. The second reason was also why Kitty married Walter, she wanted to get away from her family but if they divorce, Kitty would have to bear the rest of her life living with them. At the same time, she was getting older, which meant it would be hard for her to find another successful man as her beauty was fading away. Even though after the petty look and agonizing talks with her husband, she still believed it was his fault and he should not be able to blame her. Hong Kong did not change her for the good; instead she grew more ignorant, hateful, and scared at the same time.
    A few days later, Walter and Kitty depart for Mei-Tan-Fu. Walter sneakily makes them take the most uncomfortable and inconvenient path to get there as a punishment for Kitty. When they arrive in this small town in the heart of China towards the south, everything appears to Kitty as nightmare or basically a shock to her expectations. The streets are polluted and everyone is so poor and dirty. The whole step Kitty takes from a westernized colony and country to a local town in mainland China really gets Kitty thinking about her past actions. She realizes that she lives in a wonderful environment with everything she needed, unlike a huge mass of unfortunate people dying from a disease which they cannot afford to treat it.
    Throughout the rest of her stay in Mei-Tan-Fu, Kitty, experiences site of deaths in the streets. At this moment, she is very scared, as if her comfort zone bubble had been popped. Also, Kitty visits an orphanage with lots of Chinese orphans whilst feeling sympathy for them. Kitty probably changed the most during her stay in Southern China, convincing her from all those unfortunate experiences to become a more grateful and loving person. Meanwhile, she still feels useless and decides to help the nuns running the orphanage and small hospital. The French nuns believe that Walter is a benevolent and generous gentleman and assume Kitty and him love each other dearly. Guilty of the heartbreak she had caused Walter, she reconsiders what they are going to do with their lives. Normally, when Walter was working, Kitty would stay in the bungalow usually reading, if not then thinking about her actions. All the nasty experiences in Mei-Tan-Fu revealed to Kitty the true personality of Walter: he would risk his life to help other less fortunate people, does not matter if they are Western or Chinese. Attracted to this trait of his, Kitty comprehends Charlie as a wimp and forgets about him in her mind, begging Walter for his forgiveness. The couple rejoices, although Walter still does not forgive himself. He could never forgive himself not matter how many times Kitty pleaded him to, he felt he was taken advantage of even when he had been so polite and giving to Kitty. Eventually, Walter dies from cholera, but Kitty thinks he died from a broken heart, as she understands how bad and embarrassed he must have felt. After the whole event in Mei-Tan-Fu, Kitty changes to become a much nicer and better quality person. She even offers to stay in there and help the nuns run the orphanage even though she is pregnant (She does not know whose child it is; either Walter’s or Charlie’s). However, the nuns do not need her help, therefore they urge her to go back to Hong Kong then back to England to live with her family. It shows that before Kitty was shallow and selfish, but now she is offering help to the nuns and the orphans, even though the orphans do not speak English. She starts to think about others first before minding her own concerns (pregnancy, mother sick etc.). Here is when Kitty changes the most, becomes nicer, kinder, more loving, everything better, if only she was not filled with regret for what she had done to Walter, who died before she could sincerely apologize.
    This is a poem about loved family members can disappear without warning, so family should spend time with each other before they pass away, who knows how much regret they will have? The poem is called “Remembering” by Nikki Grimes:
    remembering
    Grandma filling up this porch
    with laughing
    and stories about when
    Mama was a little girl
    and Grandma would hug me
    and say
    I was her very special granddaughter.
    But now she’s gone.
    I miss her---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

15 pg MLA format research argument essay lol. Huge pain the arse

It was due yesterday, handed in on time of course now by the same time next week I have a 12 pg paper and a 5 pg narrative (which will be ridiculously easy)
    Last edited by RedRyder; 04-30-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not even gonna bother reading it.

It's too long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

35 pages is longest i have ever written. It was my graduate essay
    Pocket legends: Eagle (Endgame Bird), Magic (endgame mage), Getnuked (voodoo mage)
    Star legends: Eng (Engineer), Rapid (operative)
    Dark legends: Sucker (vampire queen)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Wow cool essay bean... I read the first paragraph and I think it's good. The poem in the end helps spread the point of remembrance and loving people before they die. Over all, I think it's awesome. I think I'm going to read that book, lol.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

For my Master's, we were required to do a 25 page thesis. Mine ended up being 31 pages, single spaced in APA format. Google "Owl at Purdue" to see all the rules we had to follow. I have written several 20+ page papers but this one was a bear!!