Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was I In The Wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Was I In The Wrong?

I'm fairly livid at the moment -- I just had my first "bad" experience playing PL. I'd like to get some public opinion on the matter, as I simply don't understand what just transpired. That said, here's the scoop:

I'm running Catacombs with a remake group. We had several successful runs -- nothing unusual. Then, one run, I'm one of two mages. We're nearly to Trash Heap when a fire trap kills me -- the other mage leaves the game all of a sudden (looked like a disconnect). With no one to revive me, I respawn from the entrance. This archer (whom I won't name out of courtesy) dies (I'm not sure what killed him, as -- again -- I was running back). He goes on a rant about not getting revived and goes on to PM me with hateful and irrelevant remarks. I tell the party that I had to run back and had no way to revive him -- he goes on a rant again telling me to shut up -- repeatedly calling me a noob. I eventually get caught up and we start on Trash Heap. He continues bashing me. I guess karma bit him, as the sewer gas killed him shortly into the fight. I wait a good 30 seconds to revive him (intentionally -- I really didn't want to, but I didn't want the group to pay for him being ridiculous). He continues to moan and groan. The host indicated that he was going to remake the game. I joined the remake and got booted -- me -- what? Did I really do something wrong?

*Shrug* It's just a game, but I'm really frustrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Well, I see what went on. The host probably got a complain from the archer. Then he didn't assume the archer did something mean and then just thought you were unwilling to help revive, so because of this you got booted. I get why the archer got mad, because you didnt use the platinum revive and that is what happens to mages, pressure on using platinum revive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The archer is wrong, not you. It kills me how people are so caught up in their own little gaming experience that they don't see where others are. I mean, you were running back! I'm pretty sure that if he had taken the time to get the keyboard off his screen to look at the situation he would have seen that you were nowhere near him.

And no offense to whirlzap, but it's not about pressure to plat revive. It's aout ignorant people not trying to recognize the situation and blaming others for their inadequacy.

And the host was probably a friend of the archers. They probably didn't boot you cause they needed a Mage, but booted u on the remake cause it was easier to get another. You should have told them the deal and then left. No point in wasting ur time to save the virtual lives of characters that deserve a few virtual deaths.
    Join The Movement-- itgetsbetter.org
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPn...e_gdata_player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

you should have left him dead, and not joined that team again. at the end you tell them: mages are not your slaves
    sometimes you got to know when to bail with random teams.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. The sad part is that I've played many-a-games with that particular host before -- I enjoyed playing with him. Now I'm pretty much black-balled from his games -- or so it would seem. I'm not a proficient in-game typist, so I'm really not capable of defending myself (in situations like these) under such time constraints. I will mention that I started to type "just" when I saw a need for a heal -- unfortunately I ended up sending "ju" in chat. To anyone in that party that I may have inadvertently offended, I do apologize -- it was an honest mistake (though I'm certain it didn't look that way given the situation). At any rate, it is what it is I suppose...

Regarding the platinum revive: I would only use that under special circumstances (if, for example, we were on the tail-end of a boss and no one else could heal/revive). We still had probably five-or-so mobs left before Trash Heap, so I didn't feel that the circumstances merited the need to do so.

By the way, this archer had been begging me to sell him my Fury Shield for 600K in previous games... Talk about funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, no, no...don't apologize. It wasn't your fault. If anything THEY should have pm'ed u asking where u were, not just condemned u automatically. If anything you should be sorry for actually going back and helping them kill the boss.
    Join The Movement-- itgetsbetter.org
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPn...e_gdata_player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The archer probably whined to the host in priv. The host then assumed you were wrong. Either way, you're not wrong. If it was me, i would have just placed the archer on ignore

Edit: if you don't mind, pm me the archer's name. I'd like to put him on my ignore list. Preemptive strike.
    Last edited by Sky../; 05-07-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You were so not at fault. Sounds like you need to PM the host and find out if this archer is a close friend of his or something.

Sometimes it's just business. If there was no other archer but extra mages, it's simple arithmetic. Regardless, it's worthless to speculate on the reason for boot; PM the host and get to the bottom of it one way or another.
    Foofatooty, 56/Elf - Munobroby, 56/Bear - Tengotengo, 56/Avian - Famlytrucksta, 20something Dog - Oldgerum, 20something Rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

You were not wrong. I would have chatted to the whole group for that archer to not swear at me in PM. Of course, I might type a bit faster. I can chat quit a bit, to the point of dying :P And if anyone swears at you, you should definitely ignore him. It ruins your game play.

I would also have PM'd the host after getting booted. Not sure if you know about /t but you can do that to the host once you are out of the dungeon and have more time. So you can explain or at least just ask what happened.

Oh the other hand, I would not have rejoined that game. I've left games just because they were rude to someone else, so if they are rude to me... adios.

Don't worry about one person not letting you in their games. I've been around long enough to know that one or even 10 people will not matter. Just join other friends, tell them the story if you want to rant, and/or join PUGs. There are lots of people out there. More than enough to play with.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

I feel your frustration as this has happened to me. I was the only Mage and the guy kept typing obscenities and telling me how I am the worst Mage in PL. Trying to keep 4 others alive is not an easy task and potions are not cheap. It is sad some players don't see that especially if they have never played as a Mage to fully understand the situation. You were not in the wrong so don't take it too hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Congratulation for keeping your OP factual and polite. You must have been spitting feathers.

Things like that can be very frustrating, for sure, but surround yourself with respectful players/friends and ignore/unfriend those that aren't.

A quick message to the host may help ur cause but there are plenty of people out there wanting to play with people like yourself, I'd walk away and play with others.

The moment it isn't fun, it just isn't fun.... SIMPLE!!

Feel free to add any of my alts, I'm not on much at the moment due to a new addition the family and working on the next Scavenger Hunt
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

okay s if the guy is swearing take a screenshot and emial it to support(a)spacetimestudios.com replace (a) with @

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks for all of the feedback gang -- I really appreciate it. I feel much better now that I've read your comments and slept on it for a night. You guys rock!

@Redbridge - Thanks! I'll add your alts momentarily. I'm not in-the-know with regards to the Scavenger Hunt that you reference, but feel free to let me know if you need any help as well. I'll be traveling on business next week, so I'm also unsure what my in-game hours will look like. Regardless, you have me intrigued!

@Corpser - I'm using a pre-production Android 2.2 device. The only way that I'm aware of with regards to capturing a screenshot is to literally take a picture of my phone's screen with a camera. This player's messages were wiped by the rolling screen refresh before I had a chance to capture them. That said, do you know of a way to capture screenshots on an Android 2.2 device directly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Sorry, I meant to respond to Fyrce and Siejo as well -- whoops.

@Fyrce - To be perfectly honest, I couldn't remember the command (/t - thanks for the reminder!) to PM. I played another MMO for so long -- you know, "it's like something in your pocket" -- that I always want to type /w (which does the who command, of course, instead). Perhaps I should reach out to the host in the future, but -- like I said -- my in-game typing skills are pretty weak. You are absolutely correct though: There are plenty of other players out there -- no need to worry about a couple of people.

@Siejo - I'm sorry to hear that you had to encounter a situation like this as well, but I suppose that it's also good to know that I'm not the only person that this has happened to. To your point, it's disheartening to be bashed by players that -- in all likelihood -- have never played a mage before. All that we can do is our best; if it's not good enough for them, so be it.

Chronicler of Alterra nazgulking's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Ephemeris, I've read your PM so here I am. I have no particular memory about you, not doing your job. I don't think you should quit for an archer that rages at you. My suggestion, next time you see the archer ingame, to put him immediately on the ignore list. If you have befriended me ingame, please do it. My way to 56 is long so I'm hosting some runs. Ask me to join and I'll leave a spot for you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

who booted you and whos this noob archer, as your all 55 i take it they probs pvp so someone else to rush (: just say thier name
    Icantspel - 55 Fury ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Corpser View Post
    okay s if the guy is swearing take a screenshot and emial it to support(a)spacetimestudios.com replace (a) with @
    i dont dislike many people but i hate it when people cry about abusive if the person eggs them on e.g rushing in pvp i have a rant and get a 3 day ban

the people that report over a chidlish rant i dont even wanna talk to
    Icantspel - 55 Fury ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks, Nazgulking - I'm sure that we'll play together again in the near future. I was going to friend you at the end of the run in question, but that obviously didn't happen. At any rate, we are now on each others' friends lists. I, too, am making the uber-long, elixir-free grind to 56... I'm about 63% there, so I'm always game for a sound, pre-made group!

@ICantSpel - It took me a lot of restraint not to post the archer's name in my original post, but -- now that I don't have smoke coming from my ears -- I won't say his name unless he chooses to post here (I haven't seen any posts by him, so I figure that it's rather doubtful). That said, if the archer in question (or the host) would like to comment on their actions and/or criticize something that I did inadequately, I certainly welcome their feedback (after all, there's always at least two sides to every story). I won't be judgmental -- I'd feel better understanding the root of the issue from each of their perspectives. BTW, the archer had less-than-stellar gear (it would appear that he recently hit 55 based on my inspect), so I would be surprised if he were an active PvPer -- I could be wrong, though. Building on your comment, I hit "rank 13" in a popular computer MMO (which I won't name) a few years back (not quite the top, but pretty darn close...) and am totally accustomed to seeing trash talking and PvP-induced rage. This archer struck me as nothing more than a teenager with "Nintendo marbles" based on their demeanor.

If anyone could tell me how to directly capture a screenshot acquired through an Android 2.2 device, I would be grateful. I have no desire to encounter this archer again, but -- should it happen -- I'd like to be able to get the "proof" necessary to put him in his place. I assume that "clever" ways around the mute filter are still considered actionable-offenses, right? Example: Dropping an f-bomb directed towards me spelled with three letters followed by a "u."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

download the app "shootme", but without qoutes. If you need, I MIGHT be able to send you the .apk file. read the instructions. It might require root access, though, so you might not be able to use it (I got lucky - Galaxy S does not require root access, and my parents would not let me root my phone anyway). I use the shake to capture function.

also, could you PM me the archer's name? I spy a new quickchat - /b <whateverthearcher'snamewas> never, ever flame ephemeris again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

@ICantSpel - I saw your most recent post after I posted my latest comment. Generally, I would agree with you -- reporting people over something minor is generally over-kill and not worth the hassle (I've never reported anyone, BTW, and I've seen plenty of worthy comments while playing). This guy, though, went on... and on... and on... and ultimately made me look bad (making it personal) by convincing the host (so it would seem) to kick me from the group. He was way out of line. He also sent me PMs of a different nature which I won't elaborate on too much on the forums... The "Suck my ..." type. I'm not a little kid -- I can take it -- but he was way over the line and ultimately ruined my night. Maybe he shouldn't be banned, but he should know when he's over-stepping his boundaries -- I think. I haven't reported him yet, but I definitely will if he instigates an ugly situation again -- no sleep lost. I try and draw a line in the sand -- in my head -- and he was several hundred feet beyond it every time that I replay what happened. Someone should buy him a Snuggie and some Taco Bell.