Thread: Splash dmg from AOE staves...how does it work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Splash dmg from AOE staves...how does it work?

Is the aoe dmg based off of the toon's dps or is it a fixed amount? I ask because it will influence how my stats will be distributed for my dextress. I'd like to do staves for aoe dmg and talon and shield for survivability. Otherwise I may have to do put enough dex to do bow/blaster. Thank you for any comments.
    Andromagious - 55 Pure Enchantress || Flockuinface - 55 Pure Archer || Icututopieces - 55 Pure Warrior || Lightblades - 55 Str133/Int145 Pally || Pokeuindaeye - 55 Str133/Dex146 Warbird || Brainiacbear - 40(55) Str102(135)/Int101(143) Intbear ||Yesishotu - 33(55) Dex82(133)/Int82(146) Dextress || Harderuwuss - 15(55) Str34(146)/Dex34(133) Dexbear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

As far as I understood, the aoe dmg is directly linked to your min-max dmg in you stats window... So yes, to your dps sort of speak. Don't forget to take into consideration that your spell dmg on the other hand suffers for each point you don't put in int.

Hope this helps

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome JaytB! Thanks for the info. I already have a pure and pally. I'm just making a dextress because I am compulsive. I'm just trying to figure out how to best set her up for my play style. The range I get from blasters don't appeal to me that much; but the magnified single target dmg from aoe stave revs my engines. It will help compensate for the lack of int compared to a pure mage. Using staves actually allows me to put more int than dex, so its a win/win.
    Andromagious - 55 Pure Enchantress || Flockuinface - 55 Pure Archer || Icututopieces - 55 Pure Warrior || Lightblades - 55 Str133/Int145 Pally || Pokeuindaeye - 55 Str133/Dex146 Warbird || Brainiacbear - 40(55) Str102(135)/Int101(143) Intbear ||Yesishotu - 33(55) Dex82(133)/Int82(146) Dextress || Harderuwuss - 15(55) Str34(146)/Dex34(133) Dexbear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

AoE, as far as I know, is a fixed ratio/chance to proc with your main weapon. More/less Int will raise/lower your base damage, therefore hypothetically raise/lower your AoE damage as well.

The min-max damage on your avatar is a culmination of several things, not just the weapon itself...items such as dex/str/int affect it...the AoE dmg is linked directly to the weapon, but its eventual damage output will be affected by your build as well indirectly.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Splash damage around from weapons such as the Gem Blast staff and the Keepers staff of the cosmos do weapons damage I think based on the amount of damage from your main weapon. I believe that within the fixed radius, everything gets a separate damage roll. I'm not entirely sure if it is a reduced amount of damage though.

I don't believe there are any wands with splash damage. Staves though have different AOE damage radii. The gem blast staff according to Pharcyde is less than that of the Keeper's Staff of the Cosmos. I believe that the level 45 Apep Sunkiller is currently still the widest splash damage radius.

@Mooger:
    I don't think that AOE damage is a chance - on my mage, I've never missed surrounding targets if I've hit the main target with the gem blast staff. Alternatively, it is possible that all of the targets get a separate roll. More testing needed here. I suspect though that the former answer is most likely.