Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Anyone do any editing on Wikipedia?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I did some work on Italian Wikipedia and used to patrolling - looking new voices in real-time and tagging them for completeness, relevance, no copyright violation and similar. Sometimes I proposed a voice for deletion because something wrong (expecially in relevance and self-promotion). If the voice is deleted for one of these reasons (after a vote, the first time), the admins usually delete it immediately if the voice is created again, without any vote.

I noted the new voices are tagged yet. I suggest you all to expand the voices with references to publications, both online and printed, and rewrite some phrases from a more neutral point of view. This helps to avoid deletion proposal or (in the case) to justify a negative vote for the deletion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    Oops - fixed.

Also, I'll try to put some stuff in those also, but working at the moment and really busy. Sorry folks for not completing the job, but thought it best to get the pages up there and then we can all have an input into the content.
    Thanks a lot for getting the ball rolling... !

WOW ratava - you've definitely been busy. Blackstar page looks great.
    lol - that always reminds me of John Carpenter's "The Thing" movie.

^Good tips Tamino... txs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Excellent info Tamino,

What do you mean by voices? Do you mean the actually page?

And if I understand correctly you are saying we should;
    • Expand the pages with references to publications (both online and printed)
    • Rewrite some phrases to make them more neutral/factual

Can you think of anything else that would help?

Folks, I think Tamino is right. It would be a shame to get the pages deleted by Wikipedia for any reason so would be a good idea for us all to action Tamino's ideas.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I notice wikipedia has serious issues with the lack of citing and the way it sounds like an advertisement. And frankly it does.
    The Intro is too sided towards the game, and little references or citations to back up claims it makes.

I'll see if I can add impartiality, or maybe just point out areas that need specific work.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Oops - fixed.

Also, I'll try to put some stuff in those also, but working at the moment and really busy. Sorry folks for not completing the job, but thought it best to get the pages up there and then we can all have an input into the content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    I notice wikipedia has serious issues with the lack of citing and the way it sounds like an advertisement. And frankly it does.
    The Intro is too sided towards the game, and little references or citations to back up claims it makes.

I'll see if I can add impartiality, or maybe just point out areas that need specific work.
    Are you referring to B* specifically?

Yup I'm compiling references right now.

Re: Intro: It does need to be toned-down. However given the game is not out: I felt it needs some context to why it warrants a wiki page and some history of the Blackstar project which I'll add in instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes, "voice" is the page, or the article. The reasons for not relevance are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:N.

Usually, the game notability comes from its technical or conceptual innovation and the commercial success (evaluations from indipendent parties, prizes, records as number of installations). Any verifiable fact demonstrating what's above and its source is important.

B* is more at risk because wikipedia criteria are more strict about games to come - its notability is questionable because nobody actually can say what will be its success (we hope huuuuge)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ratava View Post
    Are you referring to B* specifically?

Yup I'm compiling references right now.

Re: Intro: It does need to be toned-down. However given the game is not out: I felt it needs some context to why it warrants a wiki page and some history of the Blackstar project which I'll add in instead.
    Actually I was referring to the PL page heh

Under "press" in the homepage are all the articles the devs have accumulated. Either use what is on this website or what can be found there to back up all information.

8.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #28
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

for the spacetime studios wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime_Studios there's a ton of good history info in this article

http://www.develop-online.net/featur...player-lessons

Oh, and you guys rock

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    Actually I was referring to the PL page heh

Under "press" in the homepage are all the articles the devs have accumulated. Either use what is on this website or what can be found there to back up all information.
    Kk You got me jumping! I think I've broken the back of the first paragraph and condensed the prerequisites:

1. Notability
    2. Removed Adertisement
    3. Added references and citations [x10 now]

As said major issue is it is not out, but STS history/development kinda speaks it up well enough I think..

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    for the spacetime studios wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime_Studios there's a ton of good history info in this article

http://www.develop-online.net/featur...player-lessons

Oh, and you guys rock
    I'll have a look at the STS page quite soon. I've got a lot of info that I can add to get it rolling.

*break time*
    Last edited by ratava; 05-13-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

finally on a PC, and wow does the PL page need citation and work. wish i had time/patience right now...
    GoA, assemble!

a lot of information in the intro can also be put into their own categories. also, maybe a slight rearranging of the categories themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

sorry folks - would love to help but stuck on a long shift at work and its really busy, so am only able to have one eye on the forums currently. There'll be nothing left for me to do once i get off at the rate you lot are going...
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

It'll never be done!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    I can get the Pocket Legends wiki set up.
    if you finish it can you pm me? I want to translate it To German.^^
    Mathuyama lvl 50 war,deleted;Cubikon lvl 50 archer;Noobjaeger level 50 mage, deleted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mathuyama View Post
    if you finish it can you pm me? I want to translate it To German.^^
    Awesome idea!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

sorry folks - would love to help but stuck on a long shift at work and its really busy, so am only able to have one eye on the forums currently. There'll be nothing left for me to do once i get off at the rate you lot are going...
    Formatting still could be improved a lot eg spacing/lists and borders... also proof-reading . This is just the beginning of keeping the page up (to date)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Updated History of STS at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime_Studios

I've added 23 references and more or less got the timeline in the right order. If anyone is interested, it's a really interesting story of where STS has come from, through and almost "to"! Especially good reading can be found in the references from TenTonHammer Interviews. The other references are a little drier! It requires a good amount of editing and proof-reading and general tidying up still so hopefully it's readable albeit intact.

I have a ton to add to provide context to STS in terms of their significance and relationship in the mobile social gaming market and possibly why they are trail-blazing in this area... hopefully it should make for a great story even more than the long road leading up to it!

*break time*
    Last edited by ratava; 05-14-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Wow! This really took off, thanks for the help guys! That was my first ever Wikipedia contribution, so I didn't really know how to work the tools. You guys really polished it up. I'm going to toy around in Wikipedia a bit so I become accustomed to it. I'll also add in more sources, just did a little proofreading and fixed up the typos. I'll think of other things I can add, perhaps like Spacetime Studios contests, although. That would make it look like advertising and we all cleaned that up. Don't want it to make an entrance again.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've more or less completed relevant content for Blackstar (game) at wikipedia.

I've cut down a lot of content that probably does not merit being on the site and we have few concrete details anyway. But it provides a good overview. If anyone wants to make any corrections or additions that are obviously missing and could be improved, suggest getting onto the talk page or post here. No doubt it will be updated when more information comes.

Concerns:

(1) Current concern is notability as the game is not out yet. I tried to deal with that by framing the information in terms of B*'s exceptional production history and in terms of a follow up to PL and STS's specialization as experienced mobile MMO developers with both commercial and critical track-record.

(2) I summarized the other races into a table in a similar way as the playable classes, just to keep it concise. There might be a more accurate way of representing them?

(3) Need to double check third party references criteria is met.

I will look into the above, but please feel free to contribute. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ratava View Post
    I've more or less completed relevant content for Blackstar (game) at wikipedia.

I've cut down a lot of content that probably does not merit being on the site and we have few concrete details anyway. But it provides a good overview. If anyone wants to make any corrections or additions that are obviously missing and could be improved, suggest getting onto the talk page or post here. No doubt it will be updated when more information comes.

Concerns:

(1) Current concern is notability as the game is not out yet. I tried to deal with that by framing the information in terms of B*'s exceptional production history and in terms of a follow up to PL and STS's specialization as experienced mobile MMO developers with both commercial and critical track-record.

(2) I summarized the other races into a table in a similar way as the playable classes, just to keep it concise. There might be a more accurate way of representing them?

(3) Need to double check third party references criteria is met.

I will look into the above, but please feel free to contribute. Thanks.
    bad luck i have to translate all into german. so now u changed i have to change mine to... -.-
    Mathuyama lvl 50 war,deleted;Cubikon lvl 50 archer;Noobjaeger level 50 mage, deleted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I'm willing to do Spanish translation. Not all of it, but to help.

Most likely once we are simply adding stuff due to new content I'll be translating edited pieces.