Thread: Drop mechanics?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Drop mechanics?

Can anyone explain why people choose to cap their xp at a certain level to run certain dungeons, eg, Meathead Deli? Is it because the drops r best say at L10 on meathead? I was at meathead wiith a friend who was level 5 and to my surprise she received a lot of gems there despite my presence (I was level 45).

I was thinking potentially I can partner with someone who is at level 1 and I would do the killing while we split the loot (I'm really keen on a holiday blaster)..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Whilst I think there may be some bosses and mobs who's drops require a maximum level most don't.

In the example you gave, I often farm deli or FH4 with my main character and get a nice share of gems also. I'm not aware of a reason why a lvl5 would get more than a lvl45, other than pure luck.

But do bear in mind the fuller the team the more drops, and the various perceptions that are created. 5 players mean five drops from the same boss and 5 times as much chance of a good drop.

Drops are totally random, but every boss or mob will have a percentage chance of dropping a Grey, White, Orange, Purple or Pink item. Some areas like Balefort Sewers have very very very rare drop rates for pinks. And obviously, the rarer the drop rate the more expensive the items are in the Balefort Castle Consignment Shoppe.

Finally also remember if a boss is capable of dropping the same item at level 45-50, the drops are determined by the highest character. (E.G. Havoc's cowl of Brilliance drops as lvl45, lvl47, lvl49 & lvl50 variants in Crush the Keeper - AO3) SO, if you want lvl45 gear you must run with only level 45 players. I'm not exactly sure how this works, as I have heard that you might be able to have one or maybe even two level lvl46 players and still get lvl45 drops, but it would seem the level of the drop is determined at the point the enemy is first made aware of the group (aggro is gained) and checks each party member's current level.

This hopefully explains why some people opt to 'disable XP gain' (in options) in order to 'farm' for specific gear. The Gems you mentioned wouldn't count as they are lvl1 drops but maybe she was also farming for level 5 gear to drop..

Hope that helps a little, and I hope someone much more experienced than me explains if i got the jist of it right and expands with more detail if required
    Last edited by Redbridge; 05-16-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

whoa cool.. that's very useful to know. is there any thread for drops location?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscv View Post
    whoa cool.. that's very useful to know. is there any thread for drops location?
    check out the link in my signature for the weapons section. Which list all of the legendary Yanis Lists of every pink in the game. Also check out the various lists of Bosses, Quests, etc.

Very very useful for reference.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

People use level caps for different reasons. For running dungeons, it's not HOW MANY drops. It's WHAT drops. Dropped items in PL can be scaled to your group's level. So people looking for level 10 drops in a level 14 area cannot use a high level group -- you will only see level 14 drops. If you use a level 13 group (max level 13), you will see level 13, maybe also level 14 drops. You'll need to go down to level 10 for level 10 drops.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but the basic idea is to scale the drops. Areas drop a min and max level and some drop levels in between. There are some dungeon levels that also drop different than the area it's "attached" to. If your group exceeds the max level of the area, you will drop only max level items.

So it's not MORE drops, it's WHAT drops.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so basically.. if i want say a L10 holiday launcher in MD, i need to drop down to have a L10 character run through it and not any higher levels?