Thread: Why did the gems changed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Default Why did the gems changed?

Sorry for this old question, (I was inactive since April)but why cant we drop the old gems?Why did sts change?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Hmm, Same i wasnt here either. I always wondered why they changed.
    I think maybe it was because they scaled them.
    Thanks if anyone could clarify this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts

Not sure why sts did it, sts devs must have eaten something lolz that changed theyre minds haha

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Same I'm confused why they changed it.

Are you a stalker? Awesomeness: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

Reasons why STS change the Gem system to the new Jewel system :

1. Expansion, as the from quote of Fibus below they can't use the gems system to further improve the player upgrades without making the new gems OP ei. Para and Eye.
    2. They wanted to remove the delay of using your gear being gemmed when your aiming for it to be "grand gemmed".
    3. Its part of the new "Itemization" thingy that they are doing. Its simply farming the lowest form to craft and obtain for the highiest form. Its kinda long term farming stuff.
    4. Lastly, and this is only IMO. I think they wanted to make the gem/jewel system easier to handle. In gem jewel system they had this unified code for all the jewels with just a few variables for each jewels. While in the gem system, they had to make a whole new code for each gem they introduce. They have different code for the ordinary gems, different code for the reinforced, for the Eye of Syrillax, Skull gems (which have a proc) and different code for the Paracelsus soulstone with a unique stacking rule. This work for each gem is tedious while its easy and organized for the jewel system.

Quote Originally Posted by Fibus View Post
    When we introduced the Upgrade system nearly a year and a half ago, our goal was to give players an additional way to improve and customize their character. We are very happy that it is a feature that players love. Over time, we introduced more gems to expand upon the system, but we can only stretch the system so far. To really give players more, we needed to improve how upgrades worked at their core. And so, Jewels were born! The Jewels system will be introduced in the upcoming Rage of the Ren'gol expansion.

Designing Jewels
    When we started designing the Jewels feature, we had a few goals in mind:
    1. Expand on gems to give players more options
    2. Reduce the pain points of the system (like not having access to your weapon for an extended period of time as you tried for a "Grand" gem).
    3. Provide an aspirational goal that players can strive for

These goals led to a few interesting discussions and discoveries. Our first tasks were to figure out how to handle current gems. We didn't want to restrict where players can use them. Since players earned or purchased those gems, they should be able to use them as they see fit. Nerfing existing gems, or any items for that matter, is something to avoid at all cost, so we wanted to avoid that. Making more Paracellus-level gems to "even the playing field" for players that do not have them would simply worsen game balance. In the end, we felt the best course of action was to let existing gems eventually work themselves out of the game. Since they are not removeable from gear and there is only a set amount of them, they would, over time, cease to exist.

With our questions about the current gems system answered, we were now able to design the new Jewels system. After even more discussions, we eventually landed on the system that we now have to present to you all. I truly feel that it takes the best of the gems system and adds even more to it. And I hope you will agree.

Current Gems
    Before jumping into Jewels, I want to assure you all that your current gems will remain untouched, as I alluded to above. Any gems you have created are still yours to keep. In no way will their functionality be changed. You can continue to socket them into any current gear you have or future gear you earn. However, you will not be able to craft new Gems after the Jewels system launches.

Jewels Overview
    Moving onto Jewels, they have several similar qualities to Gems. Jewels are crafted, tradeable, and can be used to upgrade gear with additional stats.

The Jewels system also has many differences from Gems though.
    • Jewels have levels, 8 in total, represented by prefixes such as "Weak", "Fortified", or "Excellent". These levels determine how much of a stat they give. You can increase a Jewel's level via crafting by combining it with 2 other Jewels of the same level and type, along with some gold. For example, if you craft together three Standard Mind Jewels, you'll get one Fortified Mind Jewel.
    • Essences will no longer drop from mobs. Instead, Cracked Jewels will now drop from mobs. These are immediately available to use for upgrading gear. Not all types of Jewels drop in all locations though. You'll have to explore to find which Jewels drop where. Any essences you currently have can be used to craft these Cracked Jewels as well.
    • Jewels can not "crit". You no longer have to upgrade your gear over and over hoping for a "Grand" version. Jewels will always give the same amount of a stat.
    • Jewels have item level requirements. In order to upgrade a piece of gear with a Jewel, the gear must have at least a certain required level. For example, Excellent Jewels can only upgrade gear that requires character level 20 and higher.
    • Many more stats are now available with Jewels! There will be 8 types of Jewels available when the feature launches. In addition to the STR, DEX, and INT stats you are all used to, you can now also upgrade your gear with Jewels which grant Armor, Crit, Damage, HP, or Mana.
    • Jewels can be removed from gear for a gold cost. This will allow you to use that removed Jewel as part of a craft to create a better Jewel.

To give you an idea of some of the Jewels you can expect to see, here are some screenshots (art is not final, stats subject to change):

The Jewels feature will launch with the Rage of the Ren'gol expansion, which you can look forward to in the near future.

PS: I still hope they improve that lightning jewel though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kinzmet View Post
    Reasons why STS change the Gem system to the new Jewel system :

1. Expansion, as the from quote of Fibus below they can't use the gems system to further improve the player upgrades without making the new gems OP ei. Para and Eye.
    2. They wanted to remove the delay of using your gear being gemmed when your aiming for it to be "grand gemmed".
    3. Its part of the new "Itemization" thingy that they are doing. Its simply farming the lowest form to craft and obtain for the highiest form. Its kinda long term farming stuff.
    4. Lastly, and this is only IMO. I think they wanted to make the gem/jewel system easier to handle. In gem jewel system they had this unified code for all the jewels with just a few variables for each jewels. While in the gem system, they had to make a whole new code for each gem they introduce. They have different code for the ordinary gems, different code for the reinforced, for the Eye of Syrillax, Skull gems (which have a proc) and different code for the Paracelsus soulstone with a unique stacking rule. This work for each gem is tedious while its easy and organized for the jewel system.

PS: I still hope they improve that lightning jewel though
    And if the drop rates for the main stat jewels would be increased,that would be very nice ty.

The jewel system was a nice idea imo, but it turned out to be a major fail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrian View Post
    And if the drop rates for the main stat jewels would be increased,that would be very nice ty.

The jewel system was a nice idea imo, but it turned out to be a major fail.
    Jewels did everything like making gems more important and sought after and paras+eyes being op, instead of helping the players and giving a better alternative, they just f**** the upgrading system and now both gems and useful jewels are too ridiculously expensive. Nothing good came out of the jewels systems. Period.
    From mortal hope springs immortal power
    toons: goebejake rogue, saltspear mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nelson131 View Post
    Jewels did everything like making gems more important and sought after and paras+eyes being op, instead of helping the players and giving a better alternative, they just f**** the upgrading system and now both gems and useful jewels are too ridiculously expensive. Nothing good came out of the jewels systems. Period.
    Or is sts trying to make gems extinct in game and then buffing jewels?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

So this jewel system was another system only for the rich?
    Goodjob Sts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Transfordark View Post
    So this jewel system was another system only for the rich?
    Goodjob Sts
    Hmmm, not sure where you based your opinion.
    I run full legendary rogue on Tindirin wilds for dragteeth, along the way I picked up a lot jewels which I eventually crafted to Noble class. Hows that a system for the rich?

When people are too lazy to farm jewels to craft, then maybe yes..its a system for the rich.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kinzmet View Post
    Hmmm, not sure where you based your opinion.
    I run full legendary rogue on Tindirin wilds for dragteeth, along the way I picked up a lot jewels which I eventually crafted to Noble class. Hows that a system for the rich?

When people are too lazy to farm jewels to craft, then maybe yes..its a system for the rich.
    Maybe noble nature or water jewel, but there is no way you purely farmed a noble finesse or fury or mind. The sheer amount of time it takes to purely farm a noble primary jewel is ungodly high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenPR View Post
    Maybe noble nature or water jewel, but there is no way you purely farmed a noble finesse or fury or mind. The sheer amount of time it takes to purely farm a noble primary jewel is ungodly high.
    Since I farmed for dragteeth I didnt mind the jewels, I crafted them as soon as my inventory is full. After days (or months) of farming for teeth, I eventually crafted lots of fortifieds. So when I re-started 150 teeth farming again I reached noble class jewels. Crafted what I can use and sold the rest. Just for the info, I farmed it purely (for months) just to craft a noble. Although its not my main target on farming (as my target was dragteeth), it shows that you can farm all the way to noble class.