Thread: About to change my mage to a Paladin, need help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default About to change my mage to a Paladin, need help.

Hello guys, I'm looking for any Paladin out there that could help me, the reason I'm asking is because I just saw a lvl 30 Paladin pulling more damage than me, and beside of that I don't like to die as fast as I've been dying. I could get platinum.... and I've got a few Str pinks.. anyone free so give me some advise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The "paladins die less" part might be true, but paladins do significantly less damage than a straight Mage. If u are being outdamaged by a paladin, you should reevaluate your play style. There are several great guides here on how to play as a Mage. Or I would be glad to help you with a little more information (your build, strategy etc).

That said, switching to paladin is easy. I recommend waiting until lvl 45 and using Thoth gear, but you can switch at 30 with about 95(?) str and iceberg frosty gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I mean I don't really know yet, I haven't got chance to get any great gear, I'm still rolling with my lvl 10 plat set.... and I don't have much gold since I've been trying to make some cash and no luck, atm I'm full int I just better gear honestly.
    Zbooo- Lvl 1x Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

as a pally i depend on my friend the bird, alone i dont do much damage but with the bird and my own combos we just destroy all.
    oh and if u want help just ask

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

It's as kamikazees already said, pally's deal waaaaaay less dmg compared to full int. I know people might disagree, but my opinion is that a pally is only useful for your own survivability, it doesn't benefit the party at all. I manage to stay alive in the thoughest dungeons with my pure int just as well as any pally. I have to admit I have decent gear though. Ow, and pure int doesn't only deal way more dmg, heal is way more effective too. and I didn't even mention the crappy hit% that you have to deal with as str-Mage.

My advice would be, stay pure int, find some fairly decent gear (go for a wand and an eye/bracer, if you want extra protection), and be a way more effective Mage in the process

Edit: A tip for survivability could be to learn and time your heal/drain life, and spamming of health pots to stay alive. Also magic shield can be a life saver
    Last edited by JaytB; 05-19-2011 at 05:16 AM.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zbooo View Post
    I'm still rolling with my lvl 10 plat set....
    And there is the root of your problem. If you are level 30+, which your post indicates, you need better gear. Heck, a bunch of lvl 30 oranges are probably better than lvl 10 pinks.

If you are level 30 and can afford it, get some brain-freeze eq from the consignment shop. If you cannot, save up until you can. That equipment will take you to level 45 or so, and sometimes people wear it straight to 50.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Never could get used to a pally. Couldn't stand the loss of damage. I recently tried a Dexchantress for a PvP trial and kinda liked it.
    PL ign: Yvonnel - 66 Enchantress / Yvonnela - 65 Archer / Yvonnelw - 55 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I guess I roll with the lvl 30 plat set.... I just need to respec my skills.
    Zbooo- Lvl 1x Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Use brainfreeze. Dont waste plat on lvl30 set
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    It's as kamikazees already said, pally's deal waaaaaay less dmg compared to full int. I know people might disagree, but my opinion is that a pally is only useful for your own survivability, it doesn't benefit the party at all. I manage to stay alive in the thoughest dungeons with my pure int just as well as any pally. I have to admit I have decent gear though. Ow, and pure int doesn't only deal way more dmg, heal is way more effective too. and I didn't even mention the crappy hit% that you have to deal with as str-Mage.

My advice would be, stay pure int, find some fairly decent gear (go for a wand and an eye/bracer, if you want extra protection), and be a way more effective Mage in the process

Edit: A tip for survivability could be to learn and time your heal/drain life, and spamming of health pots to stay alive. Also magic shield can be a life saver
    HI kunfu its xandrok,
    i do not agree on the usefull for myself part, i always stay alive last and revive the whole party, isnt that usefull for everybody?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    HI kunfu its xandrok,
    i do not agree on the usefull for myself part, i always stay alive last and revive the whole party, isnt that usefull for everybody?
    Btw Zboo take all advice from Cynic, he is best pally i met so far

Btw cynic it's fatpigwarrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

HI kunfu its xandrok,
    Totally. And anyone see a pally do round ups?

Edit: I'm pure int.
    Last edited by Uepauke; 05-22-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 35 mage was pally until I hit the swamps. That's when the lack of damage became apparent to me. Went to int, and it was night and day, even with greens. I can see adding a little dex to help with hit % though.

My philosophy is that if you can't solo, then you aren't really helping the party. If you can effectively solo in str gear, then you are probably ok. Pallys are more support than anything else though, to be honest.
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

HI kunfu its xandrok,
    Hey buddy

Can't remember you ever having to revive my pure int Mage really

And you might be the exception, but it happened more than once that I needed to revive a pally who got cought on a fire-trap or something. So, personally, I disagree with the usefulness of a pally. My feeling is that I benefit the party way more with my increased skill dmg and heal than that I might survive in case of the rare occasional wipeout. Usually when a wipeout occurs I see the pally just die too... Maybe last, but also nonetheless.

Then again, if somebody wants to be a pally, that's cool with me. It's just to much of a sacrifice the way I see it. Try clearing a level with only pallys in it, it will probably take you about twice as long as with a room full of pure ints. And, personally again, my goal is always to clear any level as fast as possible. But that might just be me

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Hey buddy

Can't remember you ever having to revive my pure int Mage really

And you might be the exception, but it happened more than once that I needed to revive a pally who got cought on a fire-trap or something. So, personally, I disagree with the usefulness of a pally. My feeling is that I benefit the party way more with my increased skill dmg and heal than that I might survive in case of the rare occasional wipeout. Usually when a wipeout occurs I see the pally just die too... Maybe last, but also nonetheless.

Then again, if somebody wants to be a pally, that's cool with me. It's just to much of a sacrifice the way I see it. Try clearing a level with only pallys in it, it will probably take you about twice as long as with a room full of pure ints. And, personally again, my goal is always to clear any level as fast as possible. But that might just be me
    My party i was farming with today killed catacombs 4 minutes using 1 pally 1 pure int 2 bird and a bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raulur View Post
    Pallys are more support than anything else though, to be honest.
    Well, I kind of have to agree with that. I like a pally around (but still prefer a good int Mage) when we're in a room full of birds. At least you know you will almost certainly get revved if you would die. The lack of dmg in that situation doesn't really matter, since the birds to all the killing anyway. So yes, as a support, and for someone who can't keep a pure int alive (which is not that hard really) I can see the use for a pally.

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpgskill View Post
    My party i was farming with today killed catacombs 4 minutes using 1 pally 1 pure int 2 bird and a bear
    Now try that again with 5 pally's and tell me how long that took

U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I'm the bird xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Same here. It's a huge sacrifice in damage. Then again, I know some pallies who would never want to go to pure int due to the loss in survivability.

There are benefits. You can tank. Your K/D ratio will be very high (100+/1, perhaps 200+/1) because pallies in full fury very rarely die. On the downside, it's a huge loss in firepower, you hit% won't be good (unless you wear equipment that boosts it, which in turn reduces some other attribute), and your ability to support the team will be reduced (note the huge difference in heal).

If you don't care about high K/D ratios, and have little trouble surviving, my advice would be to remain pure int.