Thread: [INFO] The (Perfect) Bird Skill Layout / Tactics [BEG + ADV]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default [INFO] The (Perfect) Pure Bird Skill Layout / Tactics [BEG + ADV]

Once in a while, fellow archers like to discuss about the next good skill layout.
    Not always because there's something wrong with the current one they're using, but just out of boredom.

There have been numerous posts regarding that matter. I've decided to share mine, because it's the result of endless fine tuning and adjusting to the GCD as well, and it seems to work for most of my archer friends who have adopted it.

Interpretation: column-wise top down -> starting with the column on the left.

1: The most important of course, are self buffs.
    Focus is the most important skill you will use, since it will add 30% to your crit rating.
    Which means that you will get a 30% more probability of dealing twice your current damage.
    Evade is important as well, since it will raise your dodge, thereby reducing the probability that you will get hit.

2: Blinding shot will effectively give you a 5s window during which you can run up to the enemy without him hitting you. This should be your opening salvo (don't forget to set auto-attack in the meantime, while you're approaching the enemy). Next we either spawn a thorn wall (mob) or thorn root (single/boss). This will block them, allowing you to either retreat a bit, or pin them for further damage. This will also allow for additional damage thanks to the nature strike combo with mages.

3: If it's a boss you're dealing with, break armor is your next hit. It's also nice for mobs, but unnecessary, since your next combo will take down the rest of their health. You should also avoid break armor in the middle of a combo since it will increase your combo delay.
    While the enemy is rooted, your next move then is shatter scream, followed by blast shot. This will combo into cruel blast and effectively kill ANY mob that has been affected by the thorns and shatter scream.

2 skills which don't fit any category are avian scream and repulse shot.
    Repulse has been added to the 3rd column because it's a damage dealing skill, and it's crucial against bosses (especially when soloing). It's also useful when pushing a single enemy into a group so as to chain with thorn wall.
    Avian scream isn't as important, and has been added to the first column since you won't be using it as often (mainly to unroot/unfreeze, or as a skill filler while your other skills cool down).

This layout should enable you to solo any level with high survivability.
    The only times I die is when I'm not paying attention, or when I'm in a high mob concentration area along with a lot of traps. Or when new players join my pub game.

Sidenote: I encourage you to use equipment with a higher crit rating instead of DPS/damage, since while being in a buffed state, you will deal more damage (doubled) instead of the petty additional 10-30 damage per hit.
    Health and Mana potions are cheap enough, which should reduce the need for equipment with H/S / M/S.

Do leave your feedback. I also encourage other archers to post their layout(s), along with some justification for such a layout.
    Last edited by adwin; 05-19-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    IGN: adwinp

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I use a 244 layout from left to right. Then I work bottom to top. I keep the left column active at all times. The middle column is my opening for groups, then I move to the right column. The right column is for single targets/bosses, then I move to middle column.

In the left column I have Evade on the bottom, then Focus
    Middle column, I have Thorn Wall on the bottom, Shattering Scream, Blast Shot, Avian Scream
    Right column, I have Thorn Root on the bottom, Break Armor, Blinding Shot, Repulse Shot

My points are put into my skills the way Physiologic laid out, with one point in Avian Scream.
    Zheobird Level 71 Full Dex
    Zheomage Level 71 Full Int
    ZheobearLevel 71 Dual Dex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZHEOTARE View Post
    I use a 244 layout from left to right. Then I work bottom to top. I keep the left column active at all times. The middle column is my opening for groups, then I move to the right column.
    Would you mind editing your post with a screenshot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is mine.

I usually hit skills with the thumb, from bottom upside.
    • Buffs together in the first column, I usually fire them as soon as cooled down (if mobs are around).
    • AoE skills in the second columns, in order I launch them: root for block in place/mage nature strike combo; cruel blast combo; avian scream for final hit
    • third column skills are the single target root/break armor/blind/repulse; first root do dodge debuff, then break armor maximizes next damage, them blind/repulse
    I found Avian scream useful for stunning when there is no bear, and also for dispatching a minion while keeping focus on a boss (i.e. Keeper, Tpaxx etc), only two points on it anyway.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Here is my setup:

I use the skills in the order they are set up in from right to left. The top row are my "get out of jail free cards" I use them when bosses/mobs are too close (they have knockback). Second row is my AoE row, again in order: thorn wall for the root, shattering scream for the debuff, then blast shot to finish off the combo. Third row is the single target row (boss row): thorn root for the debuff, break armor for the debuff, then blinding shot to finish off the combo. Bottom row is the buff row.

I just hit the skills in succession and the set up allows me to play the game without having to put much thought into what comes next (sometimes I play when I'm dead tired). On some rare occasions when my timing is messed up I use the root skills (thorn root and thorn wall) in the middle of my combos to break up the timing a bit. So, shattering scream > thorn wall > blast shot or break armor > thorn root > blinding shot. Oh, not sure if it matters but I have 6 on all skills with the final point in avian scream.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 05-20-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

my skills are all over the place... if i remember i will post a screenshot.

i dont really have a order for it, but it seems to be where my finger moves on its own between the pots and the targeting of mobs...
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adwin View Post
    Would you mind editing your post with a screenshot?
    I would, but Tamino uses the same setup as I. The only difference is Focus and Evade are reversed.

Plus, I'm in the Middle East and can't connect to play right now. No connection = no screenshot. Lol
    Zheobird Level 71 Full Dex
    Zheomage Level 71 Full Int
    ZheobearLevel 71 Dual Dex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my only question is what skills are what levels? the setup is good but i would really like to know how much each skill level should be..if you could help would be great thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It all depends on your style of playing; you can either max them one by one, or mix.
    The first few levels are really fast, and you should max focus and evade.
    Then you can start mixing the skills as they appear (in order of importance). You can also save up skill points in order to max a skill at once.
    You could thus max out shattering scream and blast shot, in order to have a full cruel blast combo.
    After that, depending on whether you are a front runner or if you stay under the protection of bears/mages, you can either start developing break armor, or rooting techniques. Unless you're in the front a lot, you can leave blinding shot/repulse for later. Leave avian scream for last.