Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: App crashing constantly!

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,889 Posts

So it's actually freezing rather than crashing? That would explain why there aren't any crash logs if that's what's happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Futumsh View Post
    So it's actually freezing rather than crashing? That would explain why there aren't any crash logs if that's what's happening.
    In response to freezing:

-Minor freezes in Gold Fever when the orb spawns on the chest
    -Minor freezes in FH:5, when ANYTHING is pressed
    -Minor freezes when taping my name, or any menu/inventory/etc. button.
    On my nexus one

On my friend's Optimus T, all those freeze it indefinitely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Futumsh:325134
    I can only tell u what I experience on SGS2, with audio disabled:
    About 50% of the time it just freezes, and I have to end the game by pressing the phone's home button and killing it manually.
    The other 50% it freezes for about 5 sec, then it closes by itself.
    I hope you manage to locate the problem soon! (PL was one of the main reasons why I bought a new phone )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Re: sgs2 - I've gotten one crash log that was sound related, and the only other ones I've gotten, if they were actually from what people are reporting as the crash, were from the task manager killing it. It may be there's some problem where the task manager is killing PL even though it's in the foreground, but I haven't gotten a log of a crash that appears to be an actual crash, and nothing related is showing up in the android market crash reports.
    That's certainly possible. Samsung has made considerable modifications to Android that deviate from the AOSP code. Perhaps some of those modifications are not entirely stable? There is a built in task manager on many of Samsung's Android offerings.

Interestingly enough, this doesn't seem to happen on any of the galaxy s i9000 series phones or its variants. It could be new to the latest version of Touchwiz.

@Futumish:

The other thing I have noticed is that several Tegra 2 phones have been experiencing instability. The Motorola Atrix and the LG Optimus 2x both have had users complaining about abrupt crashes. One thing that is common is that they are all dual core ARM Cortex A9 processors.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 06-15-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ohkuni View Post
    It seems I don't have crashes when I turn my sounds off, untick high quality, and set the battery saver slider all the way to the right. The game runs choppy, but it doesn't crash.
    +1 (why didn't I try this earlier?)
    Choppy. But it works so far. (SGS2)
    Edit: I spoke too soon. Crashed today on my way from work. Didn't even last one run in "vicious visitors". But up 'til that point I've had no problems - except choppy gameplay.
    Last edited by kaliyuga; 06-16-2011 at 09:27 AM.

6.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #66
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,889 Posts

Whatever the common factor in these lockups is, it isn't the dual core cpu - doesn't happen on the Xoom at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Whatever the common factor in these lockups is, it isn't the dual core cpu - doesn't happen on the Xoom at all.
    mine only seems to exit to home screen. It doesnt force close or pause and it only seems to do it in the new forest heaven stages.

my device is lg gt540 os 2.1
    I dont know how to do a log that provides the info needed. Im not sure if it even registers as a crash as it doesnt force close.

Sent from my GT540 using Tapatalk
    Tupaclegend lvl 62 Warrior
    proud member of C.O.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Any other possibilities? The crashes are said to be abrupt and are difficult to reproduce, which is a pain to debug. On the plus side, we know that there isn't something with ARM cortex a9s on Android that for whatever reason causing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HI, I managed to get my hands on an ipad last night and PL ran flawlessly. No lag, ping spikes and god bless no crashing and played for hours. Shame I have to give the ipad back today. I think that's more of a pleasent story than of anything useful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(SGS2)
    This might yet again be me speaking too soon, but reading this thread started by Atila the nun and reading Otukura's answer, got me thinking.
    I downloaded a music player app from android market.
    Don't know if I'm allowed to write the name of it here (it might look like advertising), and maybe it doesn't matter.
    Then I browsed to a .mp3-file, and made the "downloaded music app" my default player.
    (since the confirmed crashes was sound-related)

Don't know if this should make any difference. But after doing that, I have played two runs through all Forest Haven levels without the game freezing! (before, if I was lucky, I could maybe complete one level or two)
    One run without sound, and one run with sound.
    Both runs with high quality, and all that. No battery saving settings (like I had before)

Have to eat now, but will test more later.
    Give it a try and share your experiences.

Edit:

Nope, froze & closed again. Once in Forest Haven (don't remember where), and about 4 times when fighting keeper...
    Probably doesn't matter, but I'll write it anyway:
    First time was with sound, with a bird (I'm a mage). We fought our way through to K'sarr, he had about half a bar left. I quickly restarted, rejoined & ran, got about one shot in on him before it happened again. (the awesome bird got him though )
    Third time was with sound disabled, the same bird, a bear & another mage. It happened about half way through the level (think we were fighting the first mini-boss - I forget it's name... Lorekeeper?). I rejoined again, then about 30 seconds into the fight with K'sarr it happened again. (when I rejoined they killed him)
    No successful runs on Keeper.
    Any way to disable the built in task manager, so it doesn't kill PL. If that's the problem?
    I have tried stopping it, but it restarts.

Edit 2:

since the first edit, I've cleared cache, reinstalled, disabled sounds & turned down the media volume on the phone. So far so good. 5 successful keeper runs, and some sand cave quests without freezing. (some runs with battery saving settings)

Edit 3: today (sunday) I've completed many keeper runs (ok'tals), and then all out of the blue it started crashing again. I'm unable to see a pattern...
    Last edited by kaliyuga; 06-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Futumsh: Is there anything I/we can do to help you locate the problem?
    Thousands of logs? Start raising money to buy and send you a SGS2? Play the game hanging upside down?
    Last edited by kaliyuga; 06-19-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anything usefull i can do about the freezing issue on sgs2 besides moan that it constantly freezes and the boots me or that it freezes and i have to manaully kill it?
    fun game, not so fun side effect and too expensive to get a new phone :s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah that happened to me to. Then i deleted the app and reinstalled it and now it works fine.

So you should try doing what i did and reinstall the app.

Also what seems to give less lagg is unchecking
    high quality

checking
    disbale camera effects

and check
    lock device orientation (have the home button positioned where your right hand is)

(go to the menu and to settings and you should find all that i described)

and if you want
    take the music off

sometimes if you have music in the background (like from your ipod) that also MAY effect lagg.

FYI doing this will also save more of your battery.
    Last edited by ChrisFI; 06-26-2011 at 12:14 PM.