Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Can other players cause lag?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,525 Posts

Your perceived "lag" is determined by both your ping and your frame rate.
    • Your ping, or latency, is the round trip time for a data from the client to the server and back is what we call ping, measured in milliseconds. A ping of 150 means that it takes 150 milliseconds to send a message to the server and get one back. A slow ping will mean it takes longer for you to see the result of your action initiated on the client.
    • Your frame rate is determined by the speed of your hardware, both processor and graphics. Technically, more players could lower your frame rate because we have to draw more, and the other players would be casting spells which could lead to a lot of graphical effects on screen, but it's really negligible (since we're really adding one more character to 20 characters already on screen). A slow frame rate means the world updates fewer times per second (chugs).
    The best situation is a low ping and a fast frame rate. It's possible (and normal) to have a low ping and a low frame rate, or a high ping and a fast frame rate.

Bottom line is, you can't affect their lag and they can't really affect yours.

-ALS

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orcish View Post
    Notice all of the section "lag in local video gaming" is cited as original research? or citation needed, the devs have spoken and I'm satisfied with it. It all comes down to randomness... Sky had a theory as to how potion drops work and it seemed legit, I was on board and ready to accept it as fact. Theories are all over the place (birds can break Keeper's shield, Keeper steals shield from mages, booting players right before the boss drops increases your chances for a pink), they're all unproven and once I start doubting the devs I'll never be able to accept the game again.

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    Bottom line is, you can't affect their lag and they can't really affect yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Not trying to incite a dev-war here, but the other dev's reply on that thread seemed to imply somethinh else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    Notice all of the section "lag in local video gaming" is cited as original research? or citation needed, the devs have spoken and I'm satisfied with it. It all comes down to randomness... Sky had a theory as to how potion drops work and it seemed legit, I was on board and ready to accept it as fact. Theories are all over the place (birds can break Keeper's shield, Keeper steals shield from mages, booting players right before the boss drops increases your chances for a pink), they're all unproven and once I start doubting the devs I'll never be able to accept the game again.
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf