Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Engineer - Skills & Efficiency Guide.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Madnex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    In my house.
    Posts
    3,433
    Blog Entries
    5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    510
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,449
    Thanked in
    654 Posts

    Default Engineer - Skills & Efficiency Guide.

    Greetings fellow engineers and welcome to your PvE guide!

    This guide was written on a whim in 20 minutes after someone asked for a build in the class's subforum. So here it is!

    Of course specializing as shown isn't going to be enough by itself; you'll have to practice and play in the way it's described in order for this to work! In the parentheses you can see how many skill points you're advised to add to each skill. Also, the skills are listed in the way it's suggested to prioritize them with the best and must-have skills on top. With that in mind, the most efficient PvE engineer build is as follows:

    -Empathy (6):
    The most important engineer skill. No way around it.
    • Must be constantly used while in combat. When it's off the CD, hit it.
    • Due to how it heals (every 3 seconds for 9 seconds = 3 heals in total), experienced engineers use it while initiating combat so that the first heal is applied immediately after the team takes damage.

    -Transference (6):
    The second most important and first most powerful healing tool an engineer has.
    • This should be reserved for spike healing whenever one or more members of your team drops below 40-50% HP.
    • Since its power is based on how many enemies are present, it's least useful on boss battles.
    • Do not spam this unless you're certain that it won't be needed in the next 10 seconds.

    -Pain (1):
    Third but definitely equally important with the previous one as it is your one useful CC. Explodes 3s after impact.
    • Half its power lies in the AoE explosion that knocks down nearby enemies; adding more skill points doesn't affect the root or knockdown times so it retains its value even if you just unlock it (hence only 1 skill point recommended).
    • The other half of its power exists in the root/stun that causes to the target it hits. Interrupts. Best used on high-priority/high damaging mobs such as blue vulars, large vularoids, Scorn Engineers (purple ones), etc.

    -Revive (1):
    Basic reason why everyone likes an eng around.
    • Adding more skill points only affects the range so there's no real reason to waste points on this. You can add leftover points but it's generally not advised to do so.
    • It does have some hidden bonuses though like +2 MP regen and +2 DPS so you should cast even when nobody's dead from the party; if you're sure it won't be needed in the next few seconds.

    -Protection (6):
    Always good to have in your build. Fair survivability increase.
    • Since it unfortunately doesn't scale up, it's much more powerful at lower levels so if you're around L20 prioritize it. Nevertheless, it's still good for all levels.
    • This party armor buff stays on for about 120s - you'll have no trouble keeping it up. If another eng already uses it, swap it with another skill since the armor buff doesn't stack.

    -Leech (6):
    Perhaps the most important DoT skill you can get your hands on.
    • Three ticks instead of the usual five (which the other two DoT's have) but heals you for each one.
    • Necessary for the last expansion as the healing options are limited there and if you die, your team is probably going to be wiped.

    -Decay (6):
    The second most important DoT* skill an eng has.
    • The reason you need this is that it's the only real damage amplifying skill an engineer has since it reduces enemy armor (less enemy armor = less enemy dmg reduction = moar damagez!).
    • Like with most DoT skills, it's more effective against bosses. Use it on the same target as Pain to help taking the high priority targets down faster.

    -Wither (6):
    Third of the three DoT* skills available. Overall alright.
    • Plain and simple, five ticks of decent damage. Using it or not using it will not matter much against normal mobs with a full team but always use it against bosses or strong single targets.
    • As a general guideline to all DoT's, try to use them on targets that are least likely to die within the next 10s (if possible) as to avoid wasting damage and MP.

    -Force Shield (5):
    Belongs in the group of skills that fail to do what they were designed to. Still somewhat useful.
    • While it's borderline useless for actual combat (see failed shield mechanism in Arcane Legends eg. Scorch, unbuffed Nekro AA's), you can upgrade it up to 5 which maximizes the MP regen you get while the shield is active.
    • The main factor which makes it useless is not the ridiculously easy to pop bubble-shield but that the armor and MP regen buffs are also gone when that happens. Best used in between fights to regenerate MP, which is all that it's good for.

    -Suppression (0):
    What? But it looks so awesome when I cast it!
    • This, like the above, is one of the reasons which make someone wonder what kind of QA was assigned to these games. Upgrading it is meaningless unless you solo with a single target weapon since the root effects break with damage - perhaps it was meant for the last upgrade to root and NOT break when damage is dealt since that would make it a fairly useful skill. But as it now is, just no.
    • So why does everyone that knows what this skill does hate it this much? Because part of the skill includes changing the target or (if there are no other targets in range) turning off the auto-attack of everyone in the party. Having experienced it first-hand many times while leveling, it's quite irritating.

    -Sonic Boom (0):
    Had potential. On paper.
    • While theoretically it sounds good, the only thing it offers is average to bad damage in a short area around you with no other effects or debuffs as saving grace.
    • What breaks this skill is the extremely long cooldown which is far off in balance with the potential damage dealt. Just pretend this skill doesn't exist, you won't regret it.


    ---The above uses 43 out of the 50 possible skill points. The leftover points should go to Pain and Revive (or something else if you have enough platinum and feeling adventurous).----


    LEGEND:
    • CC: Crowd Control
    • CD: Cooldown
    • DoT: Damage over Time
    • MP: Mana Points
    • regen: regeneration



    Below is an example of what an endgame PvE engineer's skill set should look like (this is what I run with for the no-stims maps):


    As you can see, by adding all the important skills on the first four slots, you can save time by not having to constantly swap back and forth. It is advised to put the higher CD skills together on one tab and the low CD skills on the other efficiency (less taps to reach maximum efficiency as engineer).

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    And this concludes the Engineer guide! For any questions, specifications or alternative suggestions post below!

    Enjoy!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Link to Commando Guide: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?270702
    Last edited by Madnex; 10-24-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Adjustments

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Senior Member Visiting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Potato Palace
    Posts
    3,193
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    914
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    852
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

    Default

    Looks like Maddy went back to SL, also looks like I'm the new owner of some AL gear
    \_(ツ)_/

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Visiting For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Forum Adept mastergundam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
    Posts
    250
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    48
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    36
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

    Default

    Yooooo lmao why people are coming back?
    Click To Go To My YouTube Channel!
    Lv 51 Command : Mastergundam
    Lv 51 Operative : Assign

  6. #4
    Blogger Burninglamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Quit
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    16
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    91
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

    Default

    lol what.............
     
     
     
     
     
    WAT IZ LIFE

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    95
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mastergundam View Post
    Yooooo lmao why people are coming back?
    Havent seen you in sl in forever ._. Or in youtube for that matter.....

  8. #6
    Forum Adept mastergundam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
    Posts
    250
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    48
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    36
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xBLUx View Post
    Havent seen you in sl in forever ._. Or in youtube for that matter.....
    Hai, I'm active thesedays. Maybe
    Click To Go To My YouTube Channel!
    Lv 51 Command : Mastergundam
    Lv 51 Operative : Assign

  9. #7
    Senior Member Itoopeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    3310
    Posts
    2,996
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    54
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    154
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

    Default

    This game is still active?
    -Finnman

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Blogger Burninglamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Quit
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    16
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    91
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itoopeo View Post
    This game is still active?
    -Finnman

    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk
    there're still people playing it.
     
     
     
     
     
    WAT IZ LIFE

  11. #9
    Senior Member Itoopeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    3310
    Posts
    2,996
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    54
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    154
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Burninglamp View Post
    there're still people playing it.



    I log in yesterday and asked the "old gens" who had squid buddys but i have never seen before, if there are still some of our generation addicted playibg it.

    Apparently Abdulsweet is still acctively playing lol



    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    95
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mastergundam View Post
    Hai, I'm active thesedays. Maybe
    As what character? Bc I havent seen you

  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I'd suggest never take protection or shield in engineer, it's totally useless, engineers don't need mana they always max intelligence, you get stimpacks for free if you empty so just chill about armor and mana regen, and revive 1 point is totally correct

  14. #12
    Member BabyDeeDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Private
    Posts
    90
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    Greetings fellow engineers and welcome to your PvE guide!

    This guide was written on a whim in 20 minutes after someone asked for a build in the class's subforum. So here it is!

    Of course specializing as shown isn't going to be enough by itself; you'll have to practice and play in the way it's described in order for this to work! In the parentheses you can see how many skill points you're advised to add to each skill. Also, the skills are listed in the way it's suggested to prioritize them with the best and must-have skills on top. With that in mind, the most efficient PvE engineer build is as follows:

    -Empathy (6):
    The most important engineer skill. No way around it.
    • Must be constantly used while in combat. When it's off the CD, hit it.
    • Due to how it heals (every 3 seconds for 9 seconds = 3 heals in total), experienced engineers use it while initiating combat so that the first heal is applied immediately after the team takes damage.

    -Transference (6):
    The second most important and first most powerful healing tool an engineer has.
    • This should be reserved for spike healing whenever one or more members of your team drops below 40-50% HP.
    • Since its power is based on how many enemies are present, it's least useful on boss battles.
    • Do not spam this unless you're certain that it won't be needed in the next 10 seconds.

    -Pain (1):
    Third but definitely equally important with the previous one as it is your one useful CC. Explodes 3s after impact.
    • Half its power lies in the AoE explosion that knocks down nearby enemies; adding more skill points doesn't affect the root or knockdown times so it retains its value even if you just unlock it (hence only 1 skill point recommended).
    • The other half of its power exists in the root/stun that causes to the target it hits. Interrupts. Best used on high-priority/high damaging mobs such as blue vulars, large vularoids, Scorn Engineers (purple ones), etc.

    -Revive (1):
    Basic reason why everyone likes an eng around.
    • Adding more skill points only affects the range so there's no real reason to waste points on this. You can add leftover points but it's generally not advised to do so.
    • It does have some hidden bonuses though like +2 MP regen and +2 DPS so you should cast even when nobody's dead from the party; if you're sure it won't be needed in the next few seconds.

    -Protection (6):
    Always good to have in your build. Fair survivability increase.
    • Since it unfortunately doesn't scale up, it's much more powerful at lower levels so if you're around L20 prioritize it. Nevertheless, it's still good for all levels.
    • This party armor buff stays on for about 120s - you'll have no trouble keeping it up. If another eng already uses it, swap it with another skill since the armor buff doesn't stack.

    -Leech (6):
    Perhaps the most important DoT skill you can get your hands on.
    • Three ticks instead of the usual five (which the other two DoT's have) but heals you for each one.
    • Necessary for the last expansion as the healing options are limited there and if you die, your team is probably going to be wiped.

    -Decay (6):
    The second most important DoT* skill an eng has.
    • The reason you need this is that it's the only real damage amplifying skill an engineer has since it reduces enemy armor (less enemy armor = less enemy dmg reduction = moar damagez!).
    • Like with most DoT skills, it's more effective against bosses. Use it on the same target as Pain to help taking the high priority targets down faster.

    -Wither (6):
    Third of the three DoT* skills available. Overall alright.
    • Plain and simple, five ticks of decent damage. Using it or not using it will not matter much against normal mobs with a full team but always use it against bosses or strong single targets.
    • As a general guideline to all DoT's, try to use them on targets that are least likely to die within the next 10s (if possible) as to avoid wasting damage and MP.

    -Force Shield (5):
    Belongs in the group of skills that fail to do what they were designed to. Still somewhat useful.
    • While it's borderline useless for actual combat (see failed shield mechanism in Arcane Legends eg. Scorch, unbuffed Nekro AA's), you can upgrade it up to 5 which maximizes the MP regen you get while the shield is active.
    • The main factor which makes it useless is not the ridiculously easy to pop bubble-shield but that the armor and MP regen buffs are also gone when that happens. Best used in between fights to regenerate MP, which is all that it's good for.

    -Suppression (0):
    What? But it looks so awesome when I cast it!
    • This, like the above, is one of the reasons which make someone wonder what kind of QA was assigned to these games. Upgrading it is meaningless unless you solo with a single target weapon since the root effects break with damage - perhaps it was meant for the last upgrade to root and NOT break when damage is dealt since that would make it a fairly useful skill. But as it now is, just no.
    • So why does everyone that knows what this skill does hate it this much? Because part of the skill includes changing the target or (if there are no other targets in range) turning off the auto-attack of everyone in the party. Having experienced it first-hand many times while leveling, it's quite irritating.

    -Sonic Boom (0):
    Had potential. On paper.
    • While theoretically it sounds good, the only thing it offers is average to bad damage in a short area around you with no other effects or debuffs as saving grace.
    • What breaks this skill is the extremely long cooldown which is far off in balance with the potential damage dealt. Just pretend this skill doesn't exist, you won't regret it.


    ---The above uses 43 out of the 50 possible skill points. The leftover points should go to Pain and Revive (or something else if you have enough platinum and feeling adventurous).----


    LEGEND:
    • CC: Crowd Control
    • CD: Cooldown
    • DoT: Damage over Time
    • MP: Mana Points
    • regen: regeneration



    Below is an example of what an endgame PvE engineer's skill set should look like (this is what I run with for the no-stims maps):


    As you can see, by adding all the important skills on the first four slots, you can save time by not having to constantly swap back and forth. It is advised to put the higher CD skills together on one tab and the low CD skills on the other efficiency (less taps to reach maximum efficiency as engineer).

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    And this concludes the Engineer guide! For any questions, specifications or alternative suggestions post below!

    Enjoy!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Link to Commando Guide: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?270702
    So.. Is this an actual working build? How good is it?
    BabyDeeDee
    [ Loyal League of Assassins Member ]
    The right woman in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

Similar Threads

  1. Engineer Skills?
    By Farhazard in forum Engineer Class Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2014, 10:59 AM
  2. Engineer skills
    By birdmasta in forum Engineer Class Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 08:35 PM
  3. Some help with my engineer skills.
    By Dominus in forum Engineer Class Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 10:36 AM
  4. Kano's Engineer Academy : Comprehensive skills + Play guide.
    By Kanozaki in forum Engineer Class Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 05:44 AM
  5. Two skills an engineer should max
    By arischal in forum Engineer Class Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-27-2011, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •