Thread: Introduction of Forum user groups, an idea which STS can make more money with!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Arrow Introduction of Forum user groups, an idea which STS can make more money with!

Hello everyone, Ascents here. I have been using forums, not just this one for several years and over my time in forming; being successful in hack forums, leak forums and V3rmillion forums. I have noticed one thing in common that brings communities together.

One of these things is user groups. User groups are banned which appear under our forum name which represent something about us and look good. An example of a user group is as follows,

Name:  qwoYiur.png
Views: 411
Size:  19.5 KB

"Esoterica" is a user group from the forums, V3rmillion and it is a user group where the most high quality members of the forums are allowed to join. I own this user group and we recruit those who deem worthy of joining. People join through applications.

Name:  F0jkDDj.png
Views: 377
Size:  14.8 KB

Another example of user groups is "Royalty" which was a user group led by a friend, the user group involved legitimate members of our marketplace section who middle man deals and help keep everyone safe from scammers.

What I am proposing is the implementation of user groups in our forums. With these boundaries;

• There will be five user groups available.
    • Each user group has one leader.
    • The leader has a section where he accepts and declines pending invites.
    • User groups cost $20 per month to maintain and is paid through Paypal or another way.
    • They are a certain size.

Of course, I would not decide the limitations to the user groups and this will be up to the administrators and moderators of these forums, this is just my thought.

Leave your feed back and if you like the idea or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ascents View Post
    Hello everyone, Ascents here. I have been using forums, not just this one for several years and over my time in forming; being successful in hack forums, leak forums and V3rmillion forums. I have noticed one thing in common that brings communities together.

One of these things is user groups. User groups are banned which appear under our forum name which represent something about us and look good. An example of a user group is as follows,

Name:  qwoYiur.png
Views: 411
Size:  19.5 KB

"Esoterica" is a user group from the forums, V3rmillion and it is a user group where the most high quality members of the forums are allowed to join. I own this user group and we recruit those who deem worthy of joining. People join through applications.

Name:  F0jkDDj.png
Views: 377
Size:  14.8 KB

Another example of user groups is "Royalty" which was a user group led by a friend, the user group involved legitimate members of our marketplace section who middle man deals and help keep everyone safe from scammers.

What I am proposing is the implementation of user groups in our forums. With these boundaries;

• There will be five user groups available.
    • Each user group has one leader.
    • The leader has a section where he accepts and declines pending invites.
    • User groups cost $20 per month to maintain and is paid through Paypal or another way.
    • They are a certain size.

Of course, I would not decide the limitations to the user groups and this will be up to the administrators and moderators of these forums, this is just my thought.

Leave your feed back and if you like the idea or not.
    Not trying to shoot down your idea here,
    but in my opinion, I'd rather keep things the way it is (without user groups), otherwise you would start seeing a trend of "Oh you are X user group, faaar below mine, I don't have to listen to anything you say". In other words, you'd start seeing a divide between forumers, similar to the "Elites", "Middle Class", and "Peasantry" of history. (That nearly never played out very well...)
    Personally, I've contributed to the forums for a little over 4 years now, but no matter how Elite a user group someone offers me, I will decline to join it. Not because I think I'm better than them, but because I don't want to see new forumers get ignored simply because their user group isn't "good enough".

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schnitzel For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts

No thanks.

Forums are just another free medium of exchange on the information highway we call the Internet. I would rather not have it cluttered with 'elitist' attitudes and other class-ist drama that would arise from such an arrangement.

To me, the idea resonates division and inclusiveness. It just doesn't seem to promote cooperation and unity.
    Ebezaanec|Ebezairec|Ebezcookie|Trisomy|Apothem

Following the Code

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ebezaanec For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ascents View Post

I'm a group? O.o

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royalty For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizhe View Post
    Not trying to shoot down your idea here,
    but in my opinion, I'd rather keep things the way it is (without user groups), otherwise you would start seeing a trend of "Oh you are X user group, faaar below mine, I don't have to listen to anything you say". In other words, you'd start seeing a divide between forumers, similar to the "Elites", "Middle Class", and "Peasantry" of history. (That nearly never played out very well...)
    Personally, I've contributed to the forums for a little over 4 years now, but no matter how Elite a user group someone offers me, I will decline to join it. Not because I think I'm better than them, but because I don't want to see new forumers get ignored simply because their user group isn't "good enough".
    I am not supporting an elitist society. These groups come with their own sub section accessible by those people only where they can discuss certain things. It is merely for looks and doesn't have to represent anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

First of all, StS forums aren't their form of income, they are a video game design company and spend their time there. Our forums are simply a place to hang with each other and the devs and get the scoop on the games. Everyone here has the ability to make a forum group and keep it private and invite who they want and discuss who they want. So, your idea of breaking the forum members into 5 groups is unnecessary. If you like things 'merely for looks' you should go into Arlor and try on some vanity to stroke that side of you. (:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Candylicks For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts

-1 for the reasons Ruizhe