Thread: Int/Dex ratio, ultimate Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow Int/Dex ratio, ultimate Mage

So.
    Here is my question.

While pure int is a basic option for getting good damage and skills, Dex increases the crit chance and base damage. This base damage ALSO helps figure out the skill damage.
    What exactly would be the perfect point assignment for a lv55 enchantress to get the most damage possible, and would the Mage end up using staffs or recurves?
    Doesn't int also affect the damage output of staffs? Crazy complicated scenario here. We can look at it from 2 points of view: skill damage and base damage. While super high skill damage (around 400!) is awesome, being able to dish out 200+ damage per second is key too. Crits also happen more often for auto attacks since they go off more often than skills. And we are not even getting into the possibility of aoe damage...

For the sake of cost , let's also say we are not just using the best gear, which would be gemstone staff set or the raid recurve set. Try... A gem blast staff set and a raid autobow set. (still decent and easier to get off CS) or if you think you can maximize damage thru crits or pure power by lower rarity items, even better.
    blows fall on the fallen... past allegiances and morality mean nothing, as the victor writes all the laws and histories...
    Quote Originally Posted by azulflame View Post
    now you actually need to make a sig...
    I recommend quoting posts, just the only rule (if it can be called one) is to quote posts made AFTER you join.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Heh.
    I'm going to answer the question this week for the sake of looking constructive. Lol.
    Now where did Phys go with the stat increases?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Physiologic is semi-quitting. Busy life.

Pure int

Stats:

Enchanted gemstone staff set

Heal rank 6
    132-269

Lightning rank 6
    312-442

Frostbite rank 4
    259-316

Fire blast rank 6
    325-438

Ice storm rank 1
    209-245

Drain Life rank 6
    355-498

Add 30 when buffed. 72% chance to crit.

Need a dual spec int/dex mage to post (in both int and dex gear) and a pure dex mage to post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Physiologic is semi-quitting. Busy life.

Pure int
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_q...Build%2056.png

Stats:

Enchanted gemstone staff set

Heal rank 6
    132-269

Lightning rank 6
    312-442

Frostbite rank 4
    259-316

Fire blast rank 6
    325-438

Ice storm rank 1
    209-245

Drain Life rank 6
    355-498

Add 30 when buffed. 72% chance to crit.

Need a dual spec int/dex mage to post (in both int and dex gear) and a pure dex mage to post.
    I don't actually think 50/50 is the answer here. I am actually wondering if there is a specific point where damage is at a max when averaging both attack and skills. And since both Dex and int will affect the enchantress' dps and skill damage, it is a slippery slope.
    I can't even tell if the cutoff point(s) are where normal and skill damage are highest or lowest... As in wether you are ultimately stronger pure or mixed in some way.
    blows fall on the fallen... past allegiances and morality mean nothing, as the victor writes all the laws and histories...
    Quote Originally Posted by azulflame View Post
    now you actually need to make a sig...
    I recommend quoting posts, just the only rule (if it can be called one) is to quote posts made AFTER you join.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barsoom View Post
    I don't actually think 50/50 is the answer here. I am actually wondering if there is a specific point where damage is at a max when averaging both attack and skills. And since both Dex and int will affect the enchantress' dps and skill damage, it is a slippery slope.
    I can't even tell if the cutoff point(s) are where normal and skill damage are highest or lowest... As in wether you are ultimately stronger pure or mixed in some way.
    50/50 gives you the option to wear both int and dex gear. It's a huge advantage.

As for whether you are stronger - in PvE against mobs, well the high base damage of pure int is a pretty easy choice IMO. Every point of int adds 0.08 to your weapons damage and every point of dex adds 0.15. However, when considering what proportion of damage comes from main weapons vs. AOE spells - the decision is easy enough. Maximize skill damage for maximum damage output.

I once made that same mistake as you did. Pure int mages have the highest effective damage in game against groups.

Edit: One other thing: Crit probabilities are the same for skills and for main weapons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

well i dont know about the advantages of dual spec mages with int/dex... i tried it a while ago, lv50 gear, and frankly it was just easier and worth more to stay pure int for that. if i am going to be ranged, then yes i might as well maximize my skill damage.

but you seem to be missing a key element here Who, he is saying that dex also add skill damage due to it being scaled to the character's normal damage. the question is whether pure int maximizes your skill damage and therefore your real damage completely, or if you can even out the damage with some dex by having maybe a little weaker skills but a little stronger attack and at the same time get the improved crit and hit percentages...

although tbh i looked at maximum int and dex stats with no gear and the crit difference was 7 and 10, respectively. so the only way for the crit difference to make it advantageous is if you use dex gear... and the closest you can come to that with the most int is, yet again, dual spec dexmage.

Therefore
    All that has to be tested is the overall damage (looking at weapon speeds, armor of BS mobs, and skill cooldowns) of a pure int mage and a dual spec dexmage using a bow... assuming that the minute dex differences from 1-138 dex will not tip the balance.
    and that still leaves us in confusion as to the power of dex to influence our skill power...

darn it all, i'm going to do a few tapjoy offers working this muddle out... good question indeed mate.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I was supposed to make a skill comparison for both a few weeks back. But i got lazy. Lol
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

dual dex/int:

Int mode: sq robe, cowl and staff. Using 3m/s ring

Light: 284-386
    Heal: 107-217
    Fire: 291-379
    Drain: 321-434

Dex mode: rr helm, leather, autobow. 10 damage 2 crit ring

Light: 276-371
    Heal: 101-205
    Fire: 281-363
    Drain: 311-418

Int mode has total 9 crit. Dex mode has 43 crit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky../ View Post
    dual dex/int:

Int mode: sq robe, cowl and staff. Using 3m/s ring

Light: 284-386
    Heal: 107-217
    Fire: 291-379
    Drain: 321-434

Dex mode: rr helm, leather, autobow. 10 damage 2 crit ring

Light: 276-371
    Heal: 101-205
    Fire: 281-363
    Drain: 311-418

Int mode has total 9 crit. Dex mode has 43 crit.
    is "light" the weapon damage? also, what gear is this?
    also, the crit difference is stunning. with buff on, you might as well have a damage orb on you, and a sign mounted atop saying "I taste like BACON" for all mobs to see.

although they will die before tasting that bacon...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Oops light is lighning storm. Gear is written above the skill damage list.

Both are unbuffed.
    Last edited by Sky../; 05-23-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky../ View Post
    Oops light is lighning storm. Gear is written above the skill damage list.

Both are unbuffed.
    facepalm for not seeing the obvious.

dexmage it is then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    well i dont know about the advantages of dual spec mages with int/dex... i tried it a while ago, lv50 gear, and frankly it was just easier and worth more to stay pure int for that. if i am going to be ranged, then yes i might as well maximize my skill damage.

but you seem to be missing a key element here Who, he is saying that dex also add skill damage due to it being scaled to the character's normal damage. the question is whether pure int maximizes your skill damage and therefore your real damage completely, or if you can even out the damage with some dex by having maybe a little weaker skills but a little stronger attack and at the same time get the improved crit and hit percentages...

although tbh i looked at maximum int and dex stats with no gear and the crit difference was 7 and 10, respectively. so the only way for the crit difference to make it advantageous is if you use dex gear... and the closest you can come to that with the most int is, yet again, dual spec dexmage.

Therefore
    All that has to be tested is the overall damage (looking at weapon speeds, armor of BS mobs, and skill cooldowns) of a pure int mage and a dual spec dexmage using a bow... assuming that the minute dex differences from 1-138 dex will not tip the balance.
    and that still leaves us in confusion as to the power of dex to influence our skill power...

darn it all, i'm going to do a few tapjoy offers working this muddle out... good question indeed mate.

Overall damage will favour the int mage except possibly in bosses. It is noteworthy though that dex does add some skill damage, although not as much as int. I meant that with dex mage, with the correct dex gear (custom recurve comes to mind, perhaps RR recurve could do), you will have lower skill damage, but significantly higher crit.

Base crit (from Physiologic):

Crit = 1.496 + (STR x 0.03) + (DEX x 0.032) + (INT x 0.02) + Crit from equips

The advantage of being able to dual spec is to be able to wear dex gear, such as the custom recurve set that offer very high crit depending on the situation, or switch to int gear where you will have lower spell damage, but still be otherwise almost as useful. The OP is suggesting that while base damage is lower, have crit that is on the order of 100% when buffed, combined with the superior damage of dex weapons over int weapons could potentially swing things in favour of dex mages or dex/int mages. (One important thing to note for that OP did not mention is that dex mages have serious mana regen issues.)

Edit: The only other potential advantage with dex mage is the higher hit %, which could be useful in PvP if you are debuffed. Both dex mages and int mages are squishy, although int will be slightly worse due to the lower dodge and because dex may be able to use a crossbow at a longer range. On the other hand, gear such as Mega Mage offer excellent protection to mages compared to before.

@Sky:
    This is with Laazahater, those numbers that you provided right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

67 dex to use the dex dmg or armor ring, and to get your hit to 100%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sigkill View Post
    67 dex to use the dex dmg or armor ring, and to get your hit to 100%
    oooooooo.... sounds interesting :S