Thread: question about dropping range

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question question about dropping range

hey, I heard that only certain lvls could get the special drops in certain lvls
    if this is true:

how does this exactly work? i couldn't find anything about it, but i would like to know for what maps what lvl ranges there are

thx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Its called Scaled Drops.
    These drops are lower levels than the normal ones.
    If yoy use a level 15 you can get a level 15 Auto Bow but if you use anything higher than yoy cannot get this item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    Its called Scaled Drops.
    These drops are lower levels than the normal ones.
    If yoy use a level 15 you can get a level 15 Auto Bow but if you use anything higher than yoy cannot get this item.
    still don't fully get it
    could you explain it a bit more please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

if you want to get a certain drop you have to be lower than a certain level
    ie:
    level 8 item= your level< 8
    if your level is lower than 8 you cannot recieve this item as a drop.
    i dont think this rule applies to all item drops though
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Ill use the swamp example. The usual drops in the swamps are lvl 35. however, if your Whole Party is level 30 or under- your drops are lvl 30. if your party has lvl 32 and the rest 30 your drops will be lvl 33. get it?
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Scaled drops is one thing. (Every level has a recommended upper/lower level. Every time your group engages with an enemy the drop level is set to the highest member in your group, bearing in mind the lowest/highest drops possible are related to the recommended level. That's just the basic version.)

But are you asking for that info OR whether there are certain maps which have a specific (or capped) requirement for certain drops?
    IE there was a rumour that lvl15 Leather recipes only drop to under lvl15's in Forest Haven... FALSE...

I've heard there are some requirement but I'm not aware of any confirmed ones...

Yanis is probably the person to ask.... unless some else has some confirmed info...
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, i think i start to get it now, but 1 more thing
    for what lvl does and for what lvl doesn't this work

like i constantly se lvl 55/56s running Victory Lap
    i suppose it doesnt work that way for VL?

and for sewers i heard ppl stay lvl 52, so they can farm lvl 51 and 53 items

how about lvls like AO3, shadow caves, sandstone caves, sewers, etc.

thx alot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Not all items or areas are scaled. Scaling was added at some point and some older areas/items don't scale and not all items scale "smoothly" (like 30 31 32 33 34 and 35, sometimes it's just a few different levels)

Check Yanis' items threads in the Trader's Market. He's got what levels items can be. That will tell you whether an area scales or not and in what way.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    Not all items or areas are scaled. Scaling was added at some point and some older areas/items don't scale and not all items scale "smoothly" (like 30 31 32 33 34 and 35, sometimes it's just a few different levels)

Check Yanis' items threads in the Trader's Market. He's got what levels items can be. That will tell you whether an area scales or not and in what way.

ok, so scaled means that a legendary item(exact same) spawns at multiple lvl's?
    but i got told i could only get onyx, crystalline and earthquake items between 20-25, but they are not scaled?

ur awnser doesnt help me at all.....
    ill be clear now

at what character lvl's can i get (from....., till....)
    1. of hate, of death and of shadow items(shadow caves legendary's)
    2. of the cosmos, of the void, of the rift(AO3 legendary's)
    3. crystalline, earthquake and onyx
    4. balefort sewers items
    lvl 51
    lvl 53
    lvl 55

thx

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

at what character lvl's can i get (from....., till....)
    1. of hate, of death and of shadow items(shadow caves legendary's)
    2. of the cosmos, of the void, of the rift(AO3 legendary's)
    3. crystalline, earthquake and onyx
    4. balefort sewers items
    lvl 51
    lvl 53
    lvl 55

thx[/QUOTE]

1 & 2 These are lvl50 items so you can be any level..
    3 These are level 20-25 items set the level of the drop is set by the member with the highest level in your group - I think its a little more complex then this though
    4 as per 3 items are lvl51,53 & 55 so to get 51 or 53 drop you will need no-one higher than those levels when you engage those bosses. Although again it is a little more complex..

I have a couple of questions. Ive heard of parties with 3 lvl51s and a couple of lvl52s running sewers to farm level 51 gear? Exactly how does this work and what is the cut off. Anyone know for sure?

Also, If (for example) 4 level 51's were to run through to GoldFever and start attacking, I've heard that the initial meeting is where the drop level is set. Does this mean, in theory, a level 56 could join the fight at this point and help out for a resulting lvl 51 drop? (Obviously theoretical as it would be a waste of everyone time to farm like this, eh?)
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

It has to do with threat level, though I call it the set level of the mob. And yes, it is set on first attack. You can try this, especially with a level 1. Go into FH1 alone. You'll see mobs con WHITE threat level when you fight it. If someone arrives in the middle of the fight, it's still a white-level mob. If a Level 2 player arrives and you then go attack the next mob, you'll see it now cons YELLOW. You fight it and a Level 20 arrives, the mob is still a yellow-level mob. If you then go fight the next mob, with the level 20 still there, the next mob will con RED and will be harder for you to fight. There are max and min levels to each dungeon though. So FH will not be above L10.

Sewer drops, as you noted are not a "smooth" scale. I think they are moving this way, or at least new areas seem to be scaled this way. So items drop at levels 51,, 53, and 55. That means a Level 52 could potentially drop either a level 51 or a level 53. As people running DF1 figured out, depending on if you can get threat level down, that will determine whether that level 52 is dropping an L51 item or an L53 item.

There is something interesting though. You can be in a group of say L53 is the max level. So my L51 cons mobs at the start as RED. We kill a miniboss while the "dungeon" is at the RED threat level and a level 55 drops. This is not consistent. I've seen where some people get the higher level drop and some get a lower level drop (Because I've asked what level people's drops were). Later, as you kill more, the common mobs start to con YELLOW and the level drops will definitely be L53 in this example. So yes, you can kill stuff in the dungeon until the threat level changes and then go kill the boss/minibosses.

It's actually really simple (just take a lower level group to drop lower level items) and really complicated (threat levels and changing threat levels) at the same time. LOL.

BTW, I'm not sure whether a mob "resets" its level if a lower level leaves after attacking it and setting its level. So, for example, a lower level goes in, blasts a bunch of mobs (you'd have to make sure to get the ones you want) setting their levels and then leaves. Higher level players come in. I think the mobs are still at that lower level. I haven't tested this but I have a habit of taking my L1's to random empty FH1 games and once in awhile I encounter a RED-con mob while no one else is in the dungeon. So I think level set lasts, if not until the mob is killed, at least for awhile. Actually I have a habit of doing this in general: Just adopting other people's games

Of course, empty dungeons don't stay around very long...
    Last edited by Fyrce; 05-31-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Redbridge is right. The confusion is mostly due to the fact that the level of a drop is determined by both the level of the players as well as the level the item comes in to begin with. In my lists I have tried to include the levels every item comes in. More specifically, if an item only comes in level 50 you will get this item no matter what level your character is. If an item comes in level 51, 53 and 55, you will get the lower level items only if the highest level character fighting the boss is at or below that level. Have not tested the scenario where a level 52 chacacter cand drop a level 51 item.

I am also not sure as to when the level of the drop is determined but my bet is that the appropriate loot table is called at the final blow to a boss, not at the beginning of the battle. It would make more sense so that the game would not need to remember the appropriate loot table while the fight is going on, although it does allow for an exploit (example: lvl56 chacacters bring a Sandstone Caves boss to within a couple of blows from dying, in a locked game. lvl 21 characters then join and run to boss, at which point the high level players leave. The low level chacacters then finish the boss and get lvl 21 loot, which is much more valuable than its lvl25 counterpart).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yanis View Post
    Redbridge is right. The confusion is mostly due to the fact that the level of a drop is determined by both the level of the players as well as the level the item comes in to begin with. In my lists I have tried to include the levels every item comes in. More specifically, if an item only comes in level 50 you will get this item no matter what level your character is. If an item comes in level 51, 53 and 55, you will get the lower level items only if the highest level character fighting the boss is at or below that level. Have not tested the scenario where a level 52 chacacter cand drop a level 51 item.

I am also not sure as to when the level of the drop is determined but my bet is that the appropriate loot table is called at the final blow to a boss, not at the beginning of the battle. It would make more sense so that the game would not need to remember the appropriate loot table while the fight is going on, although it does allow for an exploit (example: lvl56 chacacters bring a Sandstone Caves boss to within a couple of blows from dying, in a locked game. lvl 21 characters then join and run to boss, at which point the high level players leave. The low level chacacters then finish the boss and get lvl 21 loot, which is much more valuable than its lvl25 counterpart).
    For some reason when a full lvl 51 party killed catspaw we got lvl 53 loot not lvl 51 loot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ok, so lvl 50 items can drop for any lvl character
    and when doing sewers, when playing with only 51-/53- u get 51/53 items, but when with for example a 56 only lvl 55 items drop

right?

then one last thing
    when i for example want to get legendary's from sandstone caves i may max be lvl 25 right? or not? what would be the max lvl for that?

thanks for all the responses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can get legendary items from sands at 56 too, they'll just be lvl 25 and not worth as much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

If you can enter a dungeon and kill the proper mob, you can potentially drop legendary items. This is not about the inability of a level 50 to run Sandstone Caves, for example. Because that is simply not true. An L56 can enter any dungeon and kill bosses and drop pinks.

What this is about is the level of the drop once your character kills the mob. Depending on the level of your character, the level of the dropped item(s) might be different. Note the MIGHT.

Trying to predict the level of the drop is both simple and complicated.

It's simple because in general, WITHIN the level range of the dungeon, the dropped item level varies by the maximum level of the group.

It's complicated because the simple "rule" is not consistent, meaning there is something else or somethings else at play. It maybe threat level or it may have some randomness or it may be timing. It may also be whatever drop table the mob is linked to. Some mobs will always drop items at a lower level than the max level of a dungeon. I've seen this in Sandstone, Swamps, and Ao1 and Ao2 and probably other areas as well.

To summarize:

For the normal player, just play.

For the experimenter, well, it'll take lots of testing to be mostly consistent. Because in the end, even after you think you've got it down, you still get surprised. Such as an L53 drop when others get L55 drops in a group that maxes out at L53, or an L20 drop when others get L25 drops in a group with L56s. This "randomness" was something apparent from Halloween dungeon days. Most times, I'd get my lower level drops with my lower level group; BUT sometimes I'd get L50 drops or L45 drops... Same in XMas.

The randomness is lower now; consistency is higher, BUT it basically means we still don't understand everything about drops levels; we just understand a tiny bit more than when all this scaling started.
    Last edited by Fyrce; 06-06-2011 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sometimes these scaled lvls can cheat a bit.. I were in a ssc map (With my lvl 56) n another lvl 56 gets a pink lvl 20 drop..(Not earthquake, crystalline or onyx).
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is really confusing