Quote Originally Posted by Yanis View Post
Redbridge is right. The confusion is mostly due to the fact that the level of a drop is determined by both the level of the players as well as the level the item comes in to begin with. In my lists I have tried to include the levels every item comes in. More specifically, if an item only comes in level 50 you will get this item no matter what level your character is. If an item comes in level 51, 53 and 55, you will get the lower level items only if the highest level character fighting the boss is at or below that level. Have not tested the scenario where a level 52 chacacter cand drop a level 51 item.

I am also not sure as to when the level of the drop is determined but my bet is that the appropriate loot table is called at the final blow to a boss, not at the beginning of the battle. It would make more sense so that the game would not need to remember the appropriate loot table while the fight is going on, although it does allow for an exploit (example: lvl56 chacacters bring a Sandstone Caves boss to within a couple of blows from dying, in a locked game. lvl 21 characters then join and run to boss, at which point the high level players leave. The low level chacacters then finish the boss and get lvl 21 loot, which is much more valuable than its lvl25 counterpart).
For some reason when a full lvl 51 party killed catspaw we got lvl 53 loot not lvl 51 loot