Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dexmage versus Intmage / Pure Int - A Factual Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like dex mage its just difficult at the beginning when you are super squishy + you don't keep mana when spamming spells but on bosses its incredible and even for mobs i do pretty well just gotta keep pots and mana shield up
    55 enchantress (Dex Mage)-Keasha
    35 Archer (str bird)-Mkcecil
    36 Warrior (pure str)
    35 enchantress (pvp mage)-Kittenkaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by karmakali View Post
    Lol...yeah the dying takes some getting used to. My k/d ratio was never a concern (probably because I was too noob to know anyone considered it a factor) but it definately has taken a hit since making the switch.

(...)

I find the challenge to stay alive as dex kinda exhilarating though...like if I can charge into a mob and create absolute mayhem without dying it feels amazing. I have a tendancy to want to be in the front of the pack which definately brings more aggro my way but I will take the increased deaths to get increased challenge and fun any day!
    I used to be a full int, using staff whenever I could (e.g. Hideout or with people I have played with). I just recently switched to dual dex/int and have been hating the dying--where previously I could just spam heal, now I'd die if I just rely on healing, so I'm still getting used to using my pots more.

The shock of dying more often nearly made me consider switching back to int--I love my staff set! However, the fact that people in this thread have gone past this is encouraging me to carry on. Is it generally custom recurve people are using? I'm wearing raid bow set borrowed from a friend.
    Last edited by Uepauke; 06-09-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

i like dex/int dual . little squishy but

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uepauke View Post
    I used to be a full int, using staff whenever I could (e.g. Hideout or with people I have played with). I just recently switched to dual dex/int and have been hating the dying--where previously I could just spam heal, now I'd die if I just rely on healing, so I'm still getting used to using my pots more.

The shock of dying more often nearly made me consider switching back to int--I love my staff set! However, the fact that people in this thread have gone past this is encouraging me to carry on. Is it generally custom recurve people are using? I'm wearing raid bow set borrowed from a friend.
    most people are using Raid Roach autobow set and i have bagman set... (super weak) and trying to get my RR set so I can enjoy the full power of a dex mage, now dying is part of dex mage since you are a glass cannon...but non the less you are a " Cannon" so just because who your target is and dont run past the tank like a dork.... I do that still because of pally experience lol and avoid any traps at all costs they will kill you instantly without shield up and mana at full.
    55 enchantress (Dex Mage)-Keasha
    35 Archer (str bird)-Mkcecil
    36 Warrior (pure str)
    35 enchantress (pvp mage)-Kittenkaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mkcecil View Post
    most people are using Raid Roach autobow set and i have bagman set... (super weak) and trying to get my RR set so I can enjoy the full power of a dex mage, now dying is part of dex mage since you are a glass cannon...but non the less you are a " Cannon" so just because who your target is and dont run past the tank like a dork.... I do that still because of pally experience lol and avoid any traps at all costs they will kill you instantly without shield up and mana at full.
    LOL mixed feelings about dying being part of dex mage! I've got reasonably good habits because I'm a staff user (ok, I still charge into mobs, but I've found ways of surviving that and do occasionally take up some of the more peripheral positions for mob kills). It's actually the boss kills that are a problem--I am assuming the bow set is the best for boss kill, but I get a lot of aggro, and find myself spamming pots rather than skills just to keep alive, which seems a waste of my mage abilities. I'll try hanging back a bit further but it means some of the skills with less range won't hit the boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mkcecil View Post
    i have bagman set... (super weak) ...
    i disagree. Yes bagman's is weaker than raid roach, but it.s not super weak. Heck it's not even weak, it's actually a good dex set. Just because it's green doesn't mean it's no good.
    Laazahater L56 Elf Awesomness : Traigomuerte L56 Pally
    Hanibaz L50 Int/Dex Bear : kraazeva L50 Dex bird
    Badbadtzmaru L27 Dex/Int Elf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky../ View Post
    i disagree. Yes bagman's is weaker than raid roach, but it.s not super weak. Heck it's not even weak, it's actually a good dex set. Just because it's green doesn't mean it's no good.
    True.

@Mkcecil, have you seen Physiologic play with it?

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Dex mage is a lot better but harder to use dual spec is too expensive for lvls in the 50s until 55 cuz it's easier then
    so I've got a dex hybrid using oranges they the gutter recurve set

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sky../ View Post
    Im not saying its no good, but it felt a bit squishier than my Raid Roach set, but if you have no other options then go with bagman, but if you have the cash then definitely buy Raid Roach set its a extra 6 crit I believe. and what do you mean have i seen physiologic play with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have made significant changes to the guide, adding in a Custom Set with stats, as well as some math calculations. Please give it another read and let me know what you think!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Strange how a recurve does less skill dmg compared to the autobow...

One thing though. You said 'That is because the effective Critical rate is capped at 100%'. But I wonder how true this is. I mean, hit% is capped at 85% as physiologic's tests proved. So, my question is, are you sure that critical hit is capped at 100%? Wouldn't it be logical this is capped at 85% too?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Strange how a recurve does less skill dmg compared to the autobow...

One thing though. You said 'That is because the effective Critical rate is capped at 100%'. But I wonder how true this is. I mean, hit% is capped at 85% as physiologic's tests proved. So, my question is, are you sure that critical hit is capped at 100%? Wouldn't it be logical this is capped at 85% too?
    Phys proved it that crit was not capped. I'll search for the post later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    ...are you sure that critical hit is capped at 100%?
    The "cap" I was referring to is that both Raid Auto-Bow and Custom Recurve give an actual critical rate of more than 100% with Blessing of Might, but cannot actually do so. The Raid set nets a 103% Crit, while the Custom Recurve nets 109%. Obviously, you can't Critical more than 100% of the time, so the extra % is wasted.

But yes, you can land 100% Criticals if your Critical % is that high. At least I'm almost sure I read that (Physiological). If I am wrong, and it's capped at something less than 100%, then the edge shifts more in favor of Enchanted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazees View Post
    The "cap" I was referring to is that both Raid Auto-Bow and Custom Recurve give an actual critical rate of more than 100% with Blessing of Might, but cannot actually do so. The Raid set nets a 103% Crit, while the Custom Recurve nets 109%. Obviously, you can't Critical more than 100% of the time, so the extra % is wasted.

But yes, you can land 100% Criticals if your Critical % is that high. At least I'm almost sure I read that (Physiological). If I am wrong, and it's capped at something less than 100%, then the edge shifts more in favor of Enchanted.
    Yes, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic
    VIII. The Search for a Crit Cap

Much thanks to WhoIsThis for testing this with me.

In this section, we try to establish if a possible cap to crit exists; our main reason to test this out is simply because a hit% cap exists. At the moment, the highest possible crit value can only be achieved by a mage due to their powerful +60% crit buff. As such, we used WhoIsThis' pure INT mage to test this out. This was tested in Alien Oasis III: Close Encounters. Attacks were ONLY recorded while the mage was buffed for 94% crit.

Pure INT mage stats: Lv 56, 1/2/330 stat distribution
    Pure INT mage equips: Mastermind Wand/Bracer combo
    Crit: 34% unbuffed, 94% buffed

cccccccccc
    dcccccddcc
    cdccccdccc
    cccccccccc
    cddccccccd
    cccccdcccc
    cccccccccc
    hccccdcdhd
    cccccccchc
    cccccccccc
    cdcdccc

Total attempted hits in Close Encounters: 107
    Dodge: 14
    Successful hits: 93

Non-criticals landed: 3 (3.2%)
    Criticals landed: 90 (96.8%)

So far, no evidence of a crit cap less than 94% crit exists. If a crit cap does exist, it will be much higher than the hit% cap.

Since the sample number was small compared to the hit% data sample numbers, we will probably have to record more values down in the future.