Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ingame incentives to use a name we reserved?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kraze View Post
    And not falling victim to a name bot is enough for some to pay the 50 plat
    see that's the trick. since all the good names in PL are taken, but never played on, no one in game can reserve them. the devs refuse to change or delete a character that never has seen activity (I've asked, for "vulgar").

now, if all the good names are taken on this game and you can't reserve it, why pay 50 plat to reserve a name you had to pick after exhausting your other choices? chances are, your current name won't have much demand in Star Legends either. (ps. definitely going to take Mysticaldream).

I say up the ante and allow any name reservations for 100 plat. of course, this risks people crying about how their PL name was taken, so I understand the devs choice. still, it's not marketable once examined by scrutiny.
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Like I said in a prior post I've had trouble in other games getting my name so for me it's worth it. I just don't think you should ask for more than what's promised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Because the shield was just a bonus. The name reserve is 50p. If you felt that the shield was worth 50p, that's your choice. They never promised anything more than that. But you bought the shield knowing full well what you were getting -/ so don't go begging for more after the fact.
    You heard it here folks. Lesrider if officially calling me a beggar for saying getting no lasting vanity item in SL is bad.

But yea he shield is what got me to do it finally, and so far we get no lasting (Visible) matching item in SL. The name I have was my third choice and is unlikely to be taken in SL, which I accept. The shield and the reserve is worth to me at most 40p, and would be better if there was a matching item in SL too. Would be perfectly alright for 50 then IMHO.
    K if I'm failing at reading please tell me. But you say you are more worried about the name you actually want won't be available on day one. If its free in pl why didn't you create a new charchter in pl and reserve the name?
    Well you asked to be told so yes, you're failing at reading.

It's not free in PL or I would have it, and this was actually my third choice. I'm saying that on day one, or two cuz I'm often late, I will try to get the name in SL that I originally wanted in PL. Only the reserves get carried over, and the taken names in PL seem to become FFA in SL. If I get my desired name my reserve will end up on the curb and either unused and locked, or used for an alt. Just feels kinda wasteful from a SL standpoint unless we also get something in SL as well. Do you see what I'm talking about at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by vulgarstrike View Post
    because all the good names were taken by namebots in the first month.
    Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by vulgarstrike View Post
    see that's the trick. since all the good names in PL are taken, but never played on, no one in game can reserve them. the devs refuse to change or delete a character that never has seen activity (I've asked, for "vulgar").

now, if all the good names are taken on this game and you can't reserve it, why pay 50 plat to reserve a name you had to pick after exhausting your other choices? chances are, your current name won't have much demand in Star Legends either. (ps. definitely going to take Mysticaldream).

I say up the ante and allow any name reservations for 100 plat. of course, this risks people crying about how their PL name was taken, so I understand the devs choice. still, it's not marketable once examined by scrutiny.
    I'm in the exhausted situation you mentioned. The name I reserved easy my third choice and I'm gonna be racing to use my first choice come launch day. Or at least my second choice. As far as SL is concerned, my reserve is my fall-back and might not even get used.

As for your criticism of their system, don't be so hasty. It's not horrible, but far from what most people envisioned. They could have definitely done it better though. An ideal reserve system would be on a consent rule. Pretend the account is inactive and I want Mysticaldream. I tap reserve, type it in, hit confirm, and pay 50 plat. STS goes and checks how long ago the account that owns the name was used and see that it hasn't logged on since June and doesn't have a forum account under that email, so I'm granted the reserve for SL because they obviously didn't plan to come back. On the other hand, if they are found to be active, they get an email from STS telling them that a request has been put in for a character's name on their account. The owner then would choose to confirm or deny it. Confirm, and I get the reserve for SL. Deny, and I get a refund and don't get the name. I believe this would have been more fair. Allows people to reserve any name, while eliminating name bots or quitsky players from the equation. But eh.

So far this proposal seems to be unpopular. :/ You'd think more people would be for an item in both games, not just PL, especially with some quitting PL for SL come release. I'm gonna play both, but just saying.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 06-09-2011 at 12:26 PM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    The shield is what got me to do it finally, and so far we get no lasting (Visible) matching item in SL. The name I have was my third choice and is unlikely to be taken in SL, which I accept.The shield and the reserve is worth to me at most 40p, and would be better if there was a matching item in SL too. Would be perfectly alright for 50 IMHO.Well you asked to be told so yes, you're failing at reading.

It's not free in PL or I would have it, and this was actually my third choice. I'm saying that on day one, or two cuz I'm often late, I will try to get the name in SL that I originally wanted in PL. Only the reserves get carried over, and the taken names in PL seem to become FFA in SL. If I get my desired name my reserve will end up on the curb and either unused and locked, or used for an alt. Just feels kinda wasteful from a SL standpoint unless we also get something in SL as well. Do you see what I'm talking about at all?Well said.I'm in the exhausted situation you mentioned. The name I reserved easy my third choice and I'm gonna be racing to use my first choice come launch day. Or at least my second choice. As far as SL is concerned, my reserve is my fall-back and might not even get used.

As for your criticism of their system, don't be so hasty. It's not horrible, but far from what most people envisioned. They could have definitely done it better though. An ideal reserve system would be on a consent rule. Pretend your account is inactive and I want Mysticaldream. I tap reserve, type it in, hit confirm, and pay 50 plat. STS goes and checks how long ago the account that owns the name was used and see that you haven't logged on since June and don't have a forum account under that email, so I'm granted the reserve for SL because you obviously didn't plan to come back. On the other hand, if you are found to be active, you get an email from STS telling you that a request has been put in for your character's name. You then would choose to confirm or deny it. Confirm, and I get the reserve for SL. Deny, and I get a refund and don't get the name. I believe this would have been more fair. Allows people to reserve any name, while eliminating name bots or quitsky players from the equation. But eh.

So far this proposal seems to be unpopular. :/ You'd think more people would be for an item in both games, not just PL, especially with some quitting PL for SL come release. I'm gonna play both, but just saying.
    It's only a reading fail if I was mistaken. As you said your first choice is not available in pl. You plan to rush to SL on day one to get it. 50 plat well spent for some no additional items needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Why do we have to use my name?-.- Eh, I've already reserved

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

who else is buying like 10 char slots just to snag names lol... there are a few I've always wanted to have
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

It's only a reading fail if I was mistaken. As you said your first choice is not available in pl. You plan to rush to SL on day one to get it. 50 plat well spent for some no additional items needed.
    Exactly my point. There's no incentive to use it because a bunch of us are not using our first choice, so wouldn't wanna reserve it. I did it for the shield and feel like something is needed in SL too. And sarcasm noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    Why do we have to use my name?-.- Eh, I've already reserved
    It was just an example. Please don't be offended. I should have added that if the name is already reserved that the game would say so and refuse. Would you be for a consent based reserve system like I described though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    who else is buying like 10 char slots just to snag names lol... there are a few I've always wanted to have
    Oh yea I'm probably going to buy a couple for sure. Can't have less than four. One for each class, plus a mule for junk I just don't wanna throw away lulz.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 06-09-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

We obviously know very different people in game. I don't know anyone you reserved a name just for a vanity. If it's worth 50 plat to you and people you know more power have fun. Your consent system would not work however. As you described it and continuing to you use mysticaldream as an example (because it makes me lol) I could send a request and pay 100 plat to try and reserve his name. He would get an email saying "Someone has requested MYSTICALDREAM for Star Legends if you want to save your name pay 50 plat now to reserve" there is going to be enough of an uproar when the game comes out and a few people see their igns snapped up before they can download the game be it by coicendence or malice. I really don't think we need to add more drama. As far as the original point abou wanting something in SL nothing was promised when you paid for your vanity. I know someone who saved three names before the vanity was made available just because he really likes his names. So for now you paid just for a vanity item and a third choice name. Will that change? Maybe but I really don't think it's needed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

It's worth aboout 40 plat max to me for a shield and name reserve, and a SL item would sweeten the deal. And yes I know a couple people who got it just for the vanity and have no plans to play SL at all.

As for the idea about reserves I don't think you understood it too well there. Reserve. Inactive account is automatically confirmed. Active account the person who's name is being reserved by somebody else gets asked their consent if this other person can have the name in SL. If they say no then the other person doesn't get the name and gets a refund. No fuss, no mess. The consent system allows for "eliminating" inactive accounts who have locked in names that people may want, while keeping people from reserving any name they want because the owner can refuse it. But of course the real owner still won't be guaranteed it unless they grab it on day one or pay for a reserve. Do you understand now?
    Last edited by bronislav84; 06-09-2011 at 10:04 PM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    It's worth aboout 40 plat max to me for a shield and name reserve, and a SL item would sweeten the deal. And yes I know a couple people who got it just for the vanity and have no plans to play SL at all.

As for the idea about reserves I don't think you understood it too well there. Reserve. Inactive account is automatically confirmed. Active account the person who's name is being reserved by somebody else gets asked their consent if this other person can have the name in SL. If they say no then the other person doesn't get the name and gets a refund. No fuss, no mess. The consent system allows for "eliminating" inactive accounts who have locked in names that people may want, while keeping people from reserving any name they want because the owner can refuse it. But of course the real owner still won't be guaranteed it unless they grab it on day one or pay for a reserve. Do you understand now?
    Oh I understand just fine it's just an awful idea. Look I'm sorry that when you started playing the name you wanted was taken. I'm sorry you paid 50 plat for your third choice name and a vanity and you want more. When SL comes out you'll get your chance to grab that name you want so badly and I wish you the best of luck. But you spent plat on a known item. If it's was not worth the 50 plat unless you got something in SL then why do it in the first place? You got what you paid for. If all these accounts with the most win names are not active you will have the same chance as everyone else. No need to create more drama and hassle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Do detect hostility? Yes, I do. Did I do something to you that I'm not aware of that you're going off on me? Drama? Hassle? You're the one creating it. I was just asking a question of the devs, making a suggestion, and seeing how many support it.

First of all, explain why its a bad idea, if you really truly understand it. Because you seem to have some kind of preconceptions and don't see how this is the ideal reserve system. You can get any name including inactives, but those who's name you're trying to "steal" can say no. Where's the awful here? You just don't understand it, no matter how many times I explain.

I'm not sorry at all, so you shouldn't feel sorry because I don't need your pity. And if you must know, I did it because the shield will not be available after SL launches. It's a limited time item.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

Easy there turbo just set down your troll juice its going to be ok. Not agreeing with you does not make me hostile. I really do hope you get this ign you want so badly doubley so if it's inactive. However if you can't see how letting people save names that others are already using may be a problem I honestly don't know what to tell you. The whole point is to reserve the name you have in pocket legends so you can have the same name in star legends. You will get your FFA for names on day one and good luck. For me if I would of had the choice of 49 plat to save the name i wanted and no shield I would of taken that option. You got what you paid for why isn't that enough?