Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: SGS2 - Samsung Galaxy S 2 - Freeze

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SGS2 - Samsung Galaxy S 2 - Freeze

So... it's clear that I and others have this issue. You're playing the game and suddenly it freezes and closes, or just freezes.

My reason for starting this thread is the hope that we can somehow help each other! And maybe a device-specific title in the android section will draw people who haven't read the other threads. (here's one good thread)
    The suggestions I've read so far, have not worked for me. (reinstalling, disable sounds, untick high quality, battery saving settings in-game)
    In desperation, I even tried making another music app my default player (silly attempt - i know, but I thought since the confirmed crashes were sound-related... )

Are there any SGS2 users out there who can (and always have been able to) play the game without problems?
    Any who had the problem, and somehow now are able to play?
    If so: please post here. And maybe you can help your fellow SGS2-PL players out

And of course if you're having this problem, post here! Maybe if we post many descriptions of how and when it happens, we'll see a pattern emerge?

Here's hoping this issue soon will only be a distant memory,
    KaliYuga

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe 5 or more of us can add each other, and do some serious in-game freeze testing? See if it freezes at the same time and so on.
    The name of character is Kaliyuga (51 lvl enchantress)
    I also have, but haven't started leveling:
    Kaawliyuga (lvl 2 archer)
    Kaliyuggah (lvl 2 warrior)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mines the same. Its really quite annoying. I can play for like 10 mins at a time then it crashes and works for a bit. Nothing commom happens when it crashes seems to be random. Really annoying now tho as i can never finish any damn quests because it keeps crashing in dungeons

Galaxy SII also

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Apparently, the new dual core handphones (htc, lg, ss) have problems with some games not just Pl.
    I hope for u guys they'll find how to tweak this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@makkaveli: I hear ya! I'm trying to collect ok'tals on map crush the keeper, but usually it freezes before the keeper's dead. But sometimes I can finish. Right now it froze up on me again. I was running with a bird & two bears, we reached the shadows, but it froze before the first one was killed.
    Screenshot from built-in task manager
    PL is using alot of CPU. The percentage is not constant, but fluctuates, usually between 35-45%. (I've also seen 90-95%)
    But those values are from after it froze. When starting again it uses the same ammount the other games.

@Kakatoa91: Yup, read that the atrix is having similar issues as well (at least with PL). But apparently it runs fine on the Xoom. But maybe that's because it runs Honeycomb? Do you know the name of some of these games? Thought I might search those forums as well, in my search for clues
    Thanks!

WhoIsThis suggested that maybe some of Samsungs modifications to the android code is unstable. If that's the case, I hope they fix it.
    I tried sending a mail to samsung support, describing the issue. But I don't really expect much help from there...
    Last edited by kaliyuga; 06-26-2011 at 07:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nevermind the game names. I googled "android dual core game freezes". Found some posts.

Maybe this SoundPool-thingie is the common factor (I read in the post linked above that the only logs sent in that actually contained a crash were related to audio somehow "libsoundpool.so")
    But why, o why doesn't it work even if I have audio disabled?
    I've noticed that if I try to lower or raise the volume on the phone I'ts the "media volume" that changes, even when audio is disabled. (screenshot with audio disabled)
    Where in some other games, when sounds are disabled, it's the "ringtone volume" that changes.
    (gives me the feeling that maybe the sound's not completely turned off? but maybe it means nothing)
    And as is described here, I noticed on some map in sand caves that the sound sometimes bleeds through. Maybe if that issue is fixed, we can play with sounds disabled?
    From my google search i understood that some game-devs is in contact with motorola, to try and remedy the SoundPool-issue on atrix, maybe if they manage to solve that, it'll at least give hints to solving the SGS2 problem too.
    I'll look around some more.
    Last edited by kaliyuga; 06-22-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by makkaveli View Post
    mines the same. Its really quite annoying. I can play for like 10 mins at a time then it crashes and works for a bit. Nothing commom happens when it crashes seems to be random. Really annoying now tho as i can never finish any damn quests because it keeps crashing in dungeons

Galaxy SII also
    my lg gt540 also just drops to home screen randomly.
    does it seem worse in the new forest heaven stages?
    Im waiting for a patch to fix this too ive not played for a while now because everytime i get into it drops to the home screen.
    i dont think its just dual core that has the problem.

@makkaveli nice name dude
    Tupaclegend lvl 62 Warrior
    proud member of C.O.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@thugimmortal: can't say I've noticed it being worse in forest haven than other zones. (and can't remember trying the old fh on this phone)
    one time I was able to finish two complete runs through all maps. another time it froze at the first map.
    how long has this been happening to you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ran with another SGS2 owner today. We were in the same room, same wifi, and the only ones on the map when freezing occurred.
    They did not freeze at the same time.
    1st time his froze first. 2nd time mine did.
    So... Yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Angry

Same here... I tried a lot of different configurations and nothing. I've disabled ALL sounds in phone settings and in the game too, down-clocked CPU to 800MHz, removed Samsungs Task Manager (as someone said it kills Pocket Legends with no reason), updated phones firmware to latest version. Nothing. Game freezes pretty quick, especially in Forest Heaven and AO3: Crush the Keeper and AO3: Intergalactic Wars maps. On other maps i can play a bit longer. Sad, as i purchased this phone mainly because of Pocket Legends.

EDIT: I just found that "Tank Hero" freezes also... So is that Android issue or some games needs to be optimized for dual-core CPU's?

EDIT2: Just found this - http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=17623
    http://groups.google.com/group/andro...lnk=raot&pli=1
    Last edited by MrNBD; 06-26-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@MrNBD
    Thanks for your thorough testing!
    I know what you mean! Like you I bought it with PL in mind. Would really suck if the only solution is buying a new phone.
    Hope it's solvable through software, either from STS, Samsung or maybe even a cyanogenmod.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would like to point out that these issues you are experiencing have nothing to do with your phones having dual core processors. I play PL on Motorola Xoom and T-Mobile G2x (both dual core), and I don't have any issues. I do believe that some of the Samsung's mods to the Android code (as WhoIsThis suggested) make it incompatible/unstable with PL. I tried playing PL on my Samsung Galaxy S 4G (not dual core, but Samsung phone loaded with all the Samsung "goodies") and let me tell you, I hated it. The gameplay was choppy, especially when dishing out combos. I hope that this issue gets resolved for all of you who own SGS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

MayhemMonkey, thanks for your reply. So it seems like we have 2,5 things to wait for:
    1. CyanogenMod
    2. Voodoo Kernel
    2.5 A fix from Samsung lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heh... i was looking to purchase this phone as an upgrade to play PL on.

After reading the above comments, I think it would only be wise to hold out until a fix is available.

Others over at XDA developers are having the exact same issues, no resolution found yet tho

PL : xBearSpiritx (Lvl 66 Tank Bear) | xPallax (Lvl 60 Pure Int Elf) | xDarkWraithx (Lvl 61 Pure Dex Bird)
    SL: Crusader (Lvl 26 Commando) | Contra (Lvl 26 Operative) | xPallax (Lvl 26 Engineer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the same problem but my friend has an SGS2 too and his phone doesn't freeze at anytime. We try now to figure out what the difference is between our phone (versions etc.)
    I hope i find a way to get it running on my phone too and to post the solution for you guys out there...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsch Norris:335005
    I hope i find a way to get it running on my phone too and to post the solution for you guys out there...
    I would bow down and worship u if u do!

@xBearSpiritx: Yup, either wait or buy the same as Hitsch's friend
    Great phone aside from this issue!
    Last edited by kaliyuga; 06-27-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll try this evening

What kind of kernel versions are running at you'r phones?
    Mine is KE2 and it crashes
    Does anyone have KE7, KE8 or KF2 kernel? What about crashes with one of those?
    My friend's kernel is KF2 and he has no crashes, but not sure if this is the solution, that's why i ask...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

KF3 here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmmm ok so this can't be the solution... Would be tooooooo easy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received