Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mages are over appreciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Mages are over appreciated

First, I do not beleive the tittle. yet.... Mages frequently get thanked for using their skills. I have never been thanked for taunting in a mob with my bear or spending 50 k at a time on potions with my bird.. yet when I get on mage, I am frequently thanked for doing what I am suppose to do.

I posted this because some mages have been mad about using their skills.

Know your role and do it well, u will be loved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

I wouldn't say over appreciated.. but the other classes are under appreciated.

Taunting a mob indirectly helps the rest of the characters, but reviving a party member is direct help. If I don't say thanks, I'll still mean it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

It depends on who you're running with IMO. I've seen parties where birds and bears refuse to use any potions just because there are mages in the party. And mages seem to get cursed at the most too. I've heard people go "rez me already you ----".

I don't think mages are overappreciated at all. However, I do feel at times that bears are unfairly treated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I don't think they are over appreciated personally. Archers get not appreciation most of the time because they don't play a big special, noticeable roll (Mages heal and rev, and have those big AoE skills, bears beckon and group and taunt, archers skills aren't as noticeable when they're hit).

I personally thank a mage only when they rev (not always) unless they're just learning. I look at it as, it's their job and duty. It's what they're supposed to do. I just thank for rev so that I don't come off rude.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Hey Joe it's hankomachos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It's probably because of visibility of what you are doing. I admit that, now that I have been playing a lo level farming bear, I have an idea about what taunt etc looks like, but all I knew before was that bears somehow 'managed' a boss/mob and 'did things' to the aggro! It's not that I didn't appreciate it--it is always very clear when a bear isn't doing what he's meant to do, everybody ends up dead, or, as a mage, I notice that my healing isn't doing much to keeping party levels up--it's just that I couldn't tell when it was happening.

I guess it's the same way some people can't tell that a mage IS spamming heal, don't know that fast green glow is heal. Just as mages don't get thanked for this for that reason, bears also don't get thanked for taunting and so forth. Also, I'm not sure if people do a similar thing to bears, but mages who are already spamming heal occasionally get told to 'spam heal,' forgetting about skill cooldown (I have so far managed not to succumb to the temptation to stop healing).

Actually, I personally don't think I need to be thanked for doing my job... what I would like is that people stick closer together in teams, and not wander away, because it's tough, in a close fight, to walk away from the team to rez--then sometimes the whole team can end up dead Because I use the iphone to play, it's sometimes hard to find a player that's died away from my screen--I even ask people to emote fireworks to help!

I'm not saying this is a good thing... I do, however, try to show my appreciation for bear roundups--amazing stuff, guys! I certainly can't do it with my dex/int mage.
    Last edited by Uepauke; 06-21-2011 at 01:27 AM.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

I think that mages are appreciated just enough to not come off as rude because another player is using their mana for your gain directly. Sure it's in their job description, but they could just leave your corpse there to rot so a tyvm isn't too much to ask. In comparison to the other types out there, bears are mob control and if a player has never used a bear class then they cannot fully appreciate what it takes to be successful in that class. We've all seen the bears that spam stomp and blast the enemies so far that they reset and it's quite annoying, so when you see a bear doing his job you appreciate it a bit but quietly. No thank you for holding aggro, or for stomping that entire mob into the wall... it's an unrecognized but appreciated art. Now I personally believe that birds are the more unappreciated class out there (perhaps I'm biased because my main is a bird, but whatever), simply because of the sheer damage they put out causes them to frequently take aggro from even the best bears. Without much in the way or armor, getting the bosses attention for even the shortest amount of time can get a bird barbecued in a hurry.

I quite frequently see people thank a mage for reviving/spamming heal, I occasionally see a team thank a bear for a good wall stomp/maintaining aggro, but I've never seen anyone thank a bird for doing constant damage to a single target while maintaining aggro and staying alive so that the rest of the party could focus on their job without the worry of death... but hey, it's all in the job title.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 06-21-2011 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hahaha, entertaining read.. Now to get my other posts to end up like this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I don't always say thanks when I get rez'd but that's just because sometimes I'm busy playing or because I'm getting 100 tells or spam invites while playing. I think it's funny when people get all huffy when you don't say thanks :P

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I don't look at the class, I look at the player. If they do their job, they give a big ol thankyou for doing it right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

As you can see from my sig I have all 3 classes of toons and the mage is my lowest level (plus my newest). I personally think mage is the funnest to play.
    Before I became a mage I still thanked for resses just to be polite but I didn't like too, haha. I thought "I don't get thanked for my awesome combo and crits (when playing bird) or for keeping the boss and mobs away from the fragile mage and birds (when a bear)". But after I made a mage I realized that the other classes really aren't that necessary (please don't hate me!). Yes, it's nice to have a bear to control crowds and boss fights go a lot faster with a bird or two but a group of all mages can kill stuff whether they are clumped in nice little groups or not and if they do get aggro at the boss there's always a high mana regen and mana shield.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    (please don't hate me!).
    Can't hate on you for that, it's quite true that the mage is the most versatile class in the game. They can deal damage comparable to a bird, and are the only class that can group heal and revive. With so many different builds for the mage (pally, pure, dex) a group of all mages may still have ranged, melee and support fighters. I know that there's an influx of dexbears, but the warbirds are pretty much extinct so the mage is the only class that really utilizes all the stat builds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Guilty as charged.... I'll often say ty to mages for a rev, occasionally congratulate a bear for good bearyness, but rarely thank our avian chums...

Ima gonna change my ways and try to send love and thanks out equally across all classes... Where it's deserved.

Nice thread...
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    Guilty as charged.... I'll often say ty to mages for a rev, occasionally congratulate a bear for good bearyness, but rarely thank our avian chums...
    I played all three classes up to 55 (Bird is 56), and I got tanked always as mage, occasionally complimented as bear (only for roundups/queen pulls, once for tanking Fridge), but never as bird. My satisfaction is to see the number of boots and mumbles when team hasn't any bird... Now you remember how much important a bird is !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

tamino I always try to thank you for revving my bird in shadow caves. haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Personally in some cases I think mages are a little under appreciated. My main is a mage and ive jumped into numerous parties where I was the only mage and every two seconds someone died and started spamming "rez" and as soon as I revved them two others start spamming the same thing, it gets hard to keep up and people start getting attitudes toward you for not revving them when they want to get revved.

And ur right birds and bears are under appreciated, the fact that birds have armor break makes them, I think, the most essential to any successful team. And bears sheer armor and aggro-attracting power also make them a big help to any team that is trying to take out large amounts of mobs or single bosses.

To make up that lack of appreciation, if any bears or birds are reading this id like to say..

THANK YOU!! (^_^)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Avian's have no roll, they just try to ninja your kills ...

Jk, I confess to being a nuke ninja .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thank a good bear, usually after the boss.

Mages may be overthanked, but they're also the class peolle get the most pissy towards. My skill-sequence is such that heal gets pressed each time it comes off cooldown, yet every day you get some irritating bird or bear, "spam heal plz." Or even one time, "spam heal b----s." So far I've simply ignored such rudeness and gone on with the run, but from now on I've decided I will leave any game where a bird or bear starts making with that tone of entitlement. They can spam health pots and respawn if they'll be like that.

Yesterday I ran with a completely obnoxious bear who kept criticizing the party's mage and bird despite his own lackluster crowd control. He'd round the mob up and then run off immediately, leaving the two damage-dealers to contend for a few seconds with the stragglers who didn't die immediately in the first wave of combos. Meanwhile he's 20 feet ahead with the next mob bound against the wall, alone and futilely slapping them with his 1h sword. (Additionally our fights were continually near fire traps.) Bout 1/3 way through the run he says, "I'm not going to gather." What the heck? Can you imagine the crap a mage would catch if they announced they would no longer heal or res?

It is very true though that bear skills are the most underapprciated. I have an alt bear and crowd control is really not an easy thing to learn.

As for thanking birds: I think I may begin thanking any damage-dealer who whips out the 2h wep for a boss fight. I've seen an absurd amount of blizz-stick boss fights lately, and boy do they drag on. Break out the staff/bow!

edit - How powerful is the bird's break armor compared to nightmare? I've wondered about this for a long time but most skill descrips out there are so vague as to be useless.
    Last edited by OrangeDreams; 06-21-2011 at 01:10 PM.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDreams View Post
    As for thanking birds: I think I may begin thanking any damage-dealer who whips out the 2h wep for a boss fight. I've seen an absurd amount of blizz-stick boss fights lately, and boy do they drag on. Break out the staff/bow!
    There it is, you acknowledge that birds can make a boss fight loads easier but you still have to "begin" thanking them. I do understand that crowd control is an art, but something that may get overlooked is that the more damage you deal, the more attention you demand. If I pull out that Custom Recurve set and start chaining combos on GF, guess who is getting fever round after round... that's right, your friendly neighborhood avian that's who. Now if I cannot get a mage revive me after I go all out like that without sending a thank you his way, I'll be content using my stick and shield set and slowly whittle away at the boss' hp and remain aggro-free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    There it is, you acknowledge that birds can make a boss fight loads easier but you still have to "begin" thanking them. I do understand that crowd control is an art, but something that may get overlooked is that the more damage you deal, the more attention you demand. If I pull out that Custom Recurve set and start chaining combos on GF, guess who is getting fever round after round... that's right, your friendly neighborhood avian that's who. Now if I cannot get a mage revive me after I go all out like that without sending a thank you his way, I'll be content using my stick and shield set and slowly whittle away at the boss' hp and remain aggro-free.
    This is hardly specific to birds. In games without a good tank (which is most the time) it seems I'm usually stuck with the aggro, since a weird amount of birds/mages in pug don't max out their dmg-dealing ability. Or if they do they don't survive very well once they do get aggro. Mana shield, maxed BoV, health pot spamming and decent kiting ability usually means I'm the dmg-dealer that can take and keep aggro. This has never really struck me as a job that should require thanks.

Then there's also the fact that heal and the higher armor mages generally have both draw aggro, I believe.

But really, if you're consistently using a shield in boss fights as a bird I could see why you feel unthanked. Mage 1h weapons are not totally nerfy, but bird 1h weps are pretty much useless. What's the point?
    Last edited by OrangeDreams; 06-21-2011 at 01:32 PM.