Thread: PvP + PvE Boss Maps in ONE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Default PvP + PvE Boss Maps in ONE.

Since PvP rewards are still much anticipated, and there exists a certain proportion of PvP players looking for that extra PvP gain other than kills/deaths/ratio, what about if developers made a map that would be PvP based, but have a boss in the middle which both teams gun for?

Some PvP maps already have low level bosses in them, so the concept is pretty much there already. Main goal of this suggestion is to increase the stakes a bit, making PvP more competitive.

So generally:

Blue Team vs Red Team - Preferably 5v5, much like any PvE map.

Maps are designed sort of like the Alien Underground PvP map, 5v5, sort of symmetrical. Both teams start at or respawn in opposite ends, with the goal of having a PvE boss in the middle.

Either team can either,

1. Aim to kill the other team first, allowing them to "take" the PvE boss (assuming they get to kill it quick before the other team regroups and meets them again).

or

2. Multi-task both the PvE Boss and the other team, range plays well here.

Loot

Making the PvE boss drop loot that is too exclusive (meaning it drops the best gear) will create drama. The best gear shouldn't come from this, after all, Pocket Legends isn't a PvP-revolved game.

BUT, the loot shouldn't be that bad or worthless that it wouldn't intice PvP players to compete for it.

So, what about just going for looks? eg. A Fury Set is from the BS campaign, no change. Lets say these new maps drop pieces to a "Champion's Set". Same stats as Fury, same set bonus, except it looks different, maybe more detailed? More sparkles? More smoky aura?

What do you think? Enough to make PvP players compete for it to set them apart and have "recognition".

Pros

• More content and replayability for PvP players (twink to end game maybe, if they implement for lower level pvp maps too).
    • More reason for PvE players to try and practice PvP.
    • More competition overall.
    • Adds more strategy, teamwork.
    • Would work well with the "upcoming" guild system and the current developing Competitions system.
    Cons

• Not exactly sure on how teaming would be, boss only respawns when both teams complete? Slower pace here, not as "pick-up game".
    • Not exactly sure how it would affect the current or future PvE campaigns. Less farming runs, so maps played would mainly be PvE players only or levelling groups only, good or bad thing?
    • Cost-benefit of implementing this. How easy/hard would it be? Would the work into it be worth it through how much content/things to do it would add?
    • More work for devs, as always
    What do you guys think?

TL;DR

Edit:

Les mentioned on how this idea would have possible exploits, so it might be better to have a :

Rare Spawn Boss (A Golden Vyxnaar, as Arterra suggested) amidst a PvP fight.

Mechanics: ? still.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 06-21-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

How would that work in a game where anyone can create a new instance? Even if he spawns only AFTER a duel -- if the rewards are good enough, two friends who don't care about their pvp scores can kill each other and the boss and share the loot.

Even if they make it like Vyx's lair, where you can't create an instance/lock/boot ppl, so you get four people who will run with this plan and farm the boss, effectively locking out any other players.

How would you get around all that in a game like this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

random spawning golden vyxnaar? very very very rare chance? always spawns in the middle of a group brawl, involving at least 3 people?? Can absolutely maul a team, and the difficulty is based on the host level????

that would work.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

No idea, that's why I posted it up to get opinions on

That's a valid point though, the exploit.

Let's say the boss only spawns on a complete 5v5.

So that's at least 10 players needed to spawn the boss, worst case, let's assume all are friends.

Shuffle players maybe? It would sort of eliminate the main team vs the exploit team which they kill just to spawn the boss.

Or, like you mentioned, a map like Vyx's lair but a way to randomize all the players that join the map?

Not a solid idea of mine, just putting it out there. Could see it working really well, but has lots of loopholes too.

Edit:

Arterra is on to something too. A rare spawn in certain maps only when there's a brawl could work.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 06-21-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

In case it hasn't been suggested, could be a zone you can't remake remake like vyx's lair. Knowing my luck Elly posted that in the post right above me but it's TL;DR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    In case it hasn't been suggested, could be a zone you can't remake remake like vyx's lair. Knowing my luck Elly posted that in the post right above me but it's TL;DR
    Nope, hadn't thought about that exploit.

So yes, vyx's lair type map, like Les said, would still give you room to exploit it though.. Hmm.

Joining a game with this type of map assigns you to a completely random identical map? So no two friends can be on the same map unless chance puts them together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

in general a pvp-pve combination area could be epic.

A boss brawl type of map, really open ended like alien oasis maps, with teams at either ends. mobs respawn, and bosses have random spawning chances. in fact, seems like a mix of pvp, vyxnaar maps, and forbidden crypt.

edit: bosses have a chance to spawn no matter what, but conflict just gets their blood boiling lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

What about an automatically created game? The game is created every X minutes/hours, and only one game. Once it fills up, no booting, or anything, just gotta be one of the first to get in. This map would only be for end game, and every time a new campaign comes out, the map, loot, and boss are changed making some of the gear, very rare and discontinued (that or change the gear to the highest level and update the stats, IE, level 55 fury champion sword turns into a level 60 (place new campaign sword name here) champion sword) Would this be too complex?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    in general a pvp-pve combination area could be epic.

A boss brawl type of map, really open ended like alien oasis maps, with teams at either ends. mobs respawn, and bosses have random spawning chances. in fact, seems like a mix of pvp, vyxnaar maps, and forbidden crypt.

edit: bosses have a chance to spawn no matter what, but conflict just gets their blood boiling lol
    A PvP-PvE combination was what I was gunning for too! I really think it would work well in PL. Though I'm not sure at all how it can be implemented, but hey, idea is out there.

What about an automatically created game? The game is created every X minutes/hours, and only one game. Once it fills up, no booting, or anything, just gotta be one of the first to get in. This map would only be for end game, and every time a new campaign comes out, the map, loot, and boss are changed making some of the gear, very rare and discontinued (that or change the gear to the highest level and update the stats, IE, level 55 fury champion sword turns into a level 60 (place new campaign sword name here) champion sword) Would this be too complex?
    That would make a sort of camping necessity though, which IMO, won't fit well with the PL system.. Which I would personally hate too, I hate camping. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I could see it maybe workong if ut's just an extremely rare boss that has a chance to spawn on any pvp map, but only in middle of a battle (so ppl can't just keep creating instances to get it to spawn). That way, it will spawn on the people most likely to be legitly playing pvp already, as those not interested in pvp (like moi) won't go creating instances in the small hope of getting the boss to spawn.
    Would almost be a little nice occasional surprise for those already spending all their time pvping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    I could see it maybe workong if ut's just an extremely rare boss that has a chance to spawn on any pvp map, but only in middle of a battle (so ppl can't just keep creating instances to get it to spawn). That way, it will spawn on the people most likely to be legitly playing pvp already, as those not interested in pvp (like moi) won't go creating instances in the small hope of getting the boss to spawn.
    Would almost be a little nice occasional surprise for those already spending all their time pvping.
    That's true, so reward the already PvP-ing people.

Hmm. So a rare spawn amidst a full battle on 3v3 or 5v5 maps?

How does the game determine if a full fight is going on though? I'm not sure on that bit.

Let me change the OP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

More work for devs, as always
    lol yep as always. hard to come up with something that wont add work xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

so is it kinda like a pvp vanity reward since it has same stats as other items?

IGN (Apocolypze lvl 61 Warrior)(Lvlonewarrior lvl 1 Warrior)(Twinkenstein lvl 10 Dexbear)(Cthulusleeps lvl 17 Dexbear)(Wintertide lvl 26 Mage)(Derpfest lvl 30 Dexbear)(Dodgeyfeet lvl 10 Merchant)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apocolypze View Post
    so is it kinda like a pvp vanity reward since it has same stats as other items?
    Spot on.

I don't think it'd be fair to offer the best gear to PvP-ers only, especially since PL doesn't sport to be a PvP based game, don't you think?

I also know how sensitive the community can get, in terms of stat differences and acquisition of them.

Vanity seems the safer choice, yet rewarding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Should be a vanity tshirt that says "I killed the pvp boss and all I got was this lousy tshirt." (Or a shield that says the same thing).

I'm sure thug could show us how it would look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Should be a vanity tshirt that says "I killed the pvp boss and all I got was this lousy tshirt." (Or a shield that says the same thing).

I'm sure thug could show us how it would look
    Lol

Was thinking on the lines of something quite good looking.

They did a good job on the bear aspect of the Founder's Helm, so if an entire set could look like that, I'd think that would make a pretty good PvP set reward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    That's true, so reward the already PvP-ing people.

Hmm. So a rare spawn amidst a full battle on 3v3 or 5v5 maps?

How does the game determine if a full fight is going on though? I'm not sure on that bit.

Let me change the OP.
    I'd say both, but it'd have a rarer spawn/lower drop rates in 3v3. It could be a type of boss that guarantees one good drop to one lucky person and trash to the rest. Or were you thinking a rare drop, or maybe a 100% drop to all and a super super rare spawn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I'd say both, but it'd have a rarer spawn/lower drop rates in 3v3. It could be a type of boss that guarantees one good drop to one lucky person and trash to the rest. Or were you thinking a rare drop, or maybe a 100% drop to all and a super super rare spawn?
    Nah, at first I was thinking a constant spawn but rare drop and competition for it, but that could be abused.

100% drop rate sounds good, but very rare spawn, and only amidst a 3v3 or 5v5, so solo players can't camp.