Thread: Stocks - time to hit back at the scammers, and naughty people

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Default Stocks - time to hit back at the scammers, and naughty people

I recently added an idea to have the ability to udpate your status. I like it and have had friends really like it too: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-to-add-status

However, I think ikungfupanda is right, and it appears there's still a lot of players abusing the game. This is not fair on the community! Lets hit back and make an example of them (in a fun way!)

My suggestion is to have some STOCKS set up in some of the popular areas, near the town crier. At the moment the town crier does nothing (no news to report) but this could be used to give players some advice on how to behave!
    Info on stocks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stocks

Use a player who recently got banned (for short or long time) and have them in the stocks with their name above it.If you click on them you would then see why they are in the stocks lol

The puke buttons, and gurgox farts would be used big time lol Maybe have an emote to throw rotten tomato too lol

But in honesty, I think it would educate our new players and give them a little warning over how they conduct themselves in the game. I'm thinking of doing some kind of mock up if you guys think its worthwhile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

I don't think it's a good idea and hard to put in place and waste of time for dev (prefer them to work on other content that will improve the game, btw your idea to put a character in FH is nice but for a more positive stuff like winner of pvp tourney or some other competition)

If a player has been suspended, his account would be locked during 3 days minimum or more depending on gravity of his mistakes, even permaban.
    That is enough to teach people their attitude was off limit.
    And i believe in dev and sts to make good decisions as fast as they can, looking everything precisely in each situation.

To add public humiliation, even if it's just an avatar and not real person doesn't add anything more imo like respecting more the game and players. And simply put, STS would not allowed that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Although I'd like something like a 'wall of shame', I'm not really sure it's such a good idea.

Let's say a fairly new player tries a scam once, and gets banned. His/her char name will possibly be tarnished forever when he's put in a stock. I believe that even fairly honest and innocent people can make a misstep. Should they be punished for it? Absolutely! That's what banning them is for. Should their names be publicly announced though? I'm not so sure. On the other hand, if such a system would exist, it could possibly discourage potential scammers.

And what about alts? People often create an alt to do the scamming. They probably couldn't care less if that name would be 'published' somehow. Should all their character names appear there?

Although I don't have an idea of the number of banned people, it could also potentially mean that the screen in that area is completely filled with names of banned people. Heck, a screen full of names could potentially not even be enough to show all who's banned.

Finally, the devs generally don't like banns discussed anywhere. I doubt they would like the idea of having banned people's names 'published' somehow, even less with the reason why they were banned.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. These are just my thoughts about it

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Another thing to consider is that some attention-seeking folks would actually take something like this as an opportunity for notoriety -- I think handling suspensions and bans with as little comment as possible is the better policy.
    Potentially helpful thread: Your Job (or: How Not To Look Like A N00b)
    My Guild: The Duchy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mild abuse could have people put in jail for 24 hours automatically. So, there character would be ported automatically for a chat violation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Awesome idea I like the rotten tomato that could be a mini-game .
    Nobody can screw up like americans