Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Arcane Staff

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Default About Arcane Staff

On paper, the staff definitely blows the wisdom gun out of the water. But there are some drawbacks.

Firstly, you lose 85-90 skill damage (on lightning) on another equally gemmed staff vs a wisdom gun. To compare, the giant bone Bow vs Elon Bow was only 30 skill damage less (on Aimed shot).

The HP and stat bonus on the staff is far superior to the gun. You gain roughly 260 hp over wisdom gun, and .5 crit. When under the proc, you gain an additional 3 crit and roughly the same damage u get from wisdom guns proc.

However, the difference is this. The staff will proc 100% of the time, but only if it's charged. The wisdom gun proc is far rarer, but can happen just by tapping the gun. Since it takes 3 seconds to charge and the staff proc lasts 8 seconds, you will have 5 seconds before u have to start charging again if you want to remain under the proc. This takes away 37.5% of your time, which is a huge deal in PvE and more so in PvP. Also, the range of the proc is small. 3 steps will take you out of its range. Because of the 4 axe sets, u will probably have to charge it more than once in the 8 second time period.

I'm not advertising wisdom gun. The staff may still be better. I'm just pointing out that it isn't a no brainer decision like many assume it is based on the stat bonus on character screen.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingofninjas For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

nice analysis ... not every thing is base on stats on equipment and all the ranting about the daggers .. agree !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

i feel bad for the arcane weapons though they should just have put it as a mythic rarity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

The charged thing isn't a proc. It's an 'additional spell,' as sts calls it.
    The actual proc on the staff is that DOT it can cause from its normal attack (which can be spammed quickly--staves' auto attack much quicker than guns do). With Nekro and arcane shield, you have a nice safety. Toss in HoR, and even more. Plus the warriors can now proc for 100% stun? Plus your fireball and ice? You'll practically be able to stand in front of a pack of monsters without needing to wear armor, while you attack up close.
    Why do you want to trigger the actual proc? Because it'll be more important than your damage skills in those lvl 56 elite maps. Those mobs are going to have HUGE numbers for life. And your DOT proc does a hefty % of it per tick. Yes...percentage! If a mob has 1 million health, a single 7% tick would deal 70,000 damage...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morholt View Post
    The actual proc on the staff is that DOT it can cause from its normal attack (which can be spammed quickly--staves' auto attack much quicker than guns do). With Nekro and arcane shield, you have a nice safety. Toss in HoR, and even more. Plus the warriors can now proc for 100% stun? Plus your fireball and ice? You'll practically be able to stand in front of a pack of monsters without needing to wear armor, while you attack up close.
    Why do you want to trigger the actual proc? Because it'll be more important than your damage skills in those lvl 56 elite maps. Those mobs are going to have HUGE numbers for life. And your DOT proc does a hefty % of it per tick. Yes...percentage! If a mob has 1 million health, a single 7% tick would deal 70,000 damage...
    If you are talking about PvE, then rogues are still king. No single weapon is going to change that. If you are talking about PvP, no clue what the second paragraph was supposed to mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Ummm.... OK....

Attachment 146529

So is it just me confused by this?

"Increase raw damage"... by what?

"Crit chance"... by what?

"Reduce damage"... by what?

I'm soo confused....

And the big one...

"initial cast does damage to nearby enemies"
    ... huh?

What's this mean??? Meaning normal attack also hits nearby targets? If so... How much? And what's considered initial attack? Typically we always attacking... So first target I hit per zone? Or does this reset every mob or by time???

Please elaborate
    Pm me if you'd like me to make you custom sig... Happy to help if I got time, and donations are accepted if u love it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like my new arcane staff, its awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ladymage View Post
    I like my new arcane staff, its awesome
    I hear it's pretty decent...

Atleast nobody really ranting about it... So that suggests it's cool... But description is soooo vague!... For all the new weapons really... Want better descriptions of procs
    Pm me if you'd like me to make you custom sig... Happy to help if I got time, and donations are accepted if u love it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

It cost more than rogues weapon for the first time... Lets see all the dagger ranting gets anywhere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

As far as new spell goes...

It says "increases damage, crit, and reduces damages for 8 sec on initial attack"... Besides not knowing how much it affects each stat..." Does that mean we should basically plan only charging attack every 8-9 seconds to trigger this spell? Or is there a cool down in between? What does " Initial "mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofninjas View Post
    If you are talking about PvE, then rogues are still king. No single weapon is going to change that. If you are talking about PvP, no clue what the second paragraph was supposed to mean.
    You're over looking the fact that you won't be wearing mythic armors that are cap lvl. Only legendary ones. And you can't even get those until you actually farm in the elite maps.

What does that mean? A pack of rogues aren't going to be able to survive the damage onslaught they'll be receiving from lvl 56 elites. Spamming health potions won't do it anymore, when your defense is going to be lacking. The game is looking like it'll actually require a balanced party to farm elite maps effectively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaelda View Post
    Ummm.... OK....

Attachment 146529

So is it just me confused by this?

"Increase raw damage"... by what?

"Crit chance"... by what?

"Reduce damage"... by what?

I'm soo confused....

And the big one...

"initial cast does damage to nearby enemies"
    ... huh?

What's this mean??? Meaning normal attack also hits nearby targets? If so... How much? And what's considered initial attack? Typically we always attacking... So first target I hit per zone? Or does this reset every mob or by time???

Please elaborate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaelda View Post
    As far as new spell goes...

It says "increases damage, crit, and reduces damages for 8 sec on initial attack"... Besides not knowing how much it affects each stat..." Does that mean we should basically plan only charging attack every 8-9 seconds to trigger this spell? Or is there a cool down in between? What does " Initial "mean?
    Uncharged normal attacks have a chance to apply a %age damage dot on enemies.
    Charging a normal attack casts Consecrate. No cooldown, increases damage by around 25, crit by around 3% and reduces incoming damage by 25%. Initial cast means that it deals small aoe damage on creation of the Consecration zone.
    IGN: Obakemono

Kracken Mines Three Locks looted: 092 Ren'gol crates Luck lix used: 10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Does the proc even work? I dont notice any dots testing the staff, but i love the additional skill

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

You're over looking the fact that you won't be wearing mythic armors that are cap lvl. Only legendary ones. And you can't even get those until you actually farm in the elite maps.

What does that mean? A pack of rogues aren't going to be able to survive the damage onslaught they'll be receiving from lvl 56 elites. Spamming health potions won't do it anymore, when your defense is going to be lacking. The game is looking like it'll actually require a balanced party to farm elite maps effectively.
    I still don't get your point. This thread is about the mage class, not rogue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

I still don't get your point. This thread is about the mage class, not rogue.
    And you're the one who mentioned rogues first. In fact, rogues were your whole attempt at a coherent counterpoint to my breakdown of mages in the lvl 56 cap.
    So, naturally, my response to your response is going to be about what you said. How are you not following how a conversation works? I even quoted you about rogues.

Here, let me recap the conversation for you:

You: I feel very skeptical about the usefulness of the new staff.
    Me: the staff will shine in the new elite content, as its true power is based on how strong the target is.
    You: rogues will always be the best.
    Me: rogues may still be good at attacking, but their survivability will be very lacking without the help of a balanced party with mages and warriors present. A rogue can't kill if it is already dead.
    You: why are you talking about rogues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

The normal attack DOT shows when the mobs get a skull icon on them and they flash a bit, it is not very visible and need to be observant. The charge skill range indeed very small hard to maneuver around when it is only 3 steps and gone as per Kingofninjas mentioned which is correct.

I would suggest STS should make the charge skill buff more bigger range so that everyone in the team can benefit from it when in elite / attacking boss so caster wont die when trying to charge the skill in front or around mobs in elite trying to throw bombs i.e rengol maps.
    Last edited by will0; 02-05-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

On paper, the staff definitely blows the wisdom gun out of the water. But there are some drawbacks.

Firstly, you lose 85-90 skill damage (on lightning) on another equally gemmed staff vs a wisdom gun. To compare, the giant bone Bow vs Elon Bow was only 30 skill damage less (on Aimed shot).

The HP and stat bonus on the staff is far superior to the gun. You gain roughly 260 hp over wisdom gun, and .5 crit. When under the proc, you gain an additional 3 crit and roughly the same damage u get from wisdom guns proc.

However, the difference is this. The staff will proc 100% of the time, but only if it's charged. The wisdom gun proc is far rarer, but can happen just by tapping the gun. Since it takes 3 seconds to charge and the staff proc lasts 8 seconds, you will have 5 seconds before u have to start charging again if you want to remain under the proc. This takes away 37.5% of your time, which is a huge deal in PvE and more so in PvP. Also, the range of the proc is small. 3 steps will take you out of its range. Because of the 4 axe sets, u will probably have to charge it more than once in the 8 second time period.

I'm not advertising wisdom gun. The staff may still be better. I'm just pointing out that it isn't a no brainer decision like many assume it is based on the stat bonus on character screen.

What it takes away dmg on light??? But I thought more dmg(which is what the arcane WEP gives)= more skill dmg I'm so confused it gives more dmg on character screen but less skill dmg?? Is that bug?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The spell are so small for party and the dot are so rare than ppl loot sns in massive rengol *grab popcorn*

Sent from my ASUS_T00F using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Dots are rare compared t warrior lava spouts / Charging staff spell takes mage's mana ...... this is not right ..
    Last edited by will0; 02-06-2016 at 08:12 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to will0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

So it seems like the staff also needs a fix?