Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food for Thought: Botting and the LB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Visiting View Post
    They sold their items upon their own volition, if they didn't check to see if the source was credible, they're partially to be blamed as well. As far as impersonating a mod, I'm sure it's against the ToS of the forums, but the picture in question here was posted on a third party application, not the forums, thus out of jurisdiction of STS..
    You could say something very similar about most players who have been scammed.

The fake announcement didn't stay on that third party app, though. It got circulated, and players really did fall for it. It was well done, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm sure the player will come forward because as you say, he's got nothing to worry about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Coug View Post
    You could say something very similar about most players who have been scammed.

The fake announcement didn't stay on that third party app, though. It got circulated, and players really did fall for it. It was well done, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm sure the player will come forward because as you say, he's got nothing to worry about.
    Then, by your logic, everyone who circulated that image is to blame for everyone losing profit because they acted upon suspicion without justifying the actual source? I dont think so. Besides, who knew what the author's intention was behind this. Perhaps it was meant as a joke among friends that spread into something more than the author intended. An April Fools-esque joke gone awry.

I seriously doubt that the image would be considered as impersonating a dev. It's just an overblown photoshop troll, and it's silly that people are still talking about it even when it was confirmed that it was not true.

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by konafez View Post
    Back before the expansion when there was nothing to do but farm teeth, I spent months down in wt4 getting kills to improve my kdr. I was so proud of my kdr (350k kills 3000 deaths) till I ran into a botter with 400k kills 250 deaths ....then I just thought what is the freakin point.

I pride myself on having one of the best work ethics in AL. If I need gear, I farm till I can afford it. If I need to get better kdr, I lock myself in wt4 till I get the kills I need. If I need AP's I get my guildies together and we go earn them

But seeing these botters just makes me think why bother. I don't have much interest in grinding for days when someone else just fires up there bot and goes to bed
    This is exactly my point. It's unfair for legitimate players to have to compete with robots. Botting loses the integrity of the game because it makes the effort of other players relatively less meaningful.

Regardless of these bots, i believe people who legitimately EARNED their achievements and gold through actual hard work should be praised and should definitely feel proud, because i certainly dont have the determination to do what they do. So great job konafez! Im only at 55k kills on my rogue lol
    Last edited by Zylx; 02-20-2016 at 07:53 PM.

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zylx For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

I think the players who were tricked into selling paras and eyes would disagree. And impersonating a dev is most certainly against the TOS.

There's a reason the guilty player won't fess up to doing it.
    Exactly, the third party application in question has already clearly been stated to not be reliable as evidence, any screenshots taken from it cant be used as evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Coug:2399155
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruizhe View Post
    I agree with Zylx,

It's kind of ironic to say "Don't do this", then turn the blind eye when it happens.

I have my suspicions, and I'd rather be proven wrong than right
    But if the staff isn't going to do anything about it,
    then whats the point of having a rule when it won't be enforced?

Just my $0.02

-R
    I completely agree. It's kind of like how the player who impersonated a dev and tricked players into selling paras and eyes with a fake announcement was never punished.
    I don't see the connection between my post about botters and your topic of that fake announcement. If you're going to derail a thread to talk about another topic, don't try to quote me then say " oh by the way, remember that fake announcement that someone posted?"

I'm not the one that posted it, but when I saw it, I took it as a joke after searching through forums for the announcement and not finding anything that said that.

Now
    BACK the the Original Topic

Thread re-railed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoonclaws View Post
    There is a simple idea to go against botting... and it's a time limit. After X hours of gameplay, the account MUST log out and must be warned an hour and 30min before. Login allowed 5min - 15min later. Therefore, StS will have an idea of who hit those time limits most and they can investigate
    This wouldn't work well. Sometimes I legit play for hours, I'd be pissed if the put constraints on a real farmer. Also this naturally happens as the players inv fills, you are not allowed to make a new map, nor run much until you have a relatively empty inv.
    Why not a program to detect repetitive player input, specifically in locked maps?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suentous PO For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zylx View Post
    Then, by your logic, everyone who circulated that image is to blame for everyone losing profit because they acted upon suspicion without justifying the actual source? I dont think so. Besides, who knew what the author's intention was behind this. Perhaps it was meant as a joke among friends that spread into something more than the author intended. An April Fools-esque joke gone awry.

I seriously doubt that the image would be considered as impersonating a dev. It's just an overblown photoshop troll, and it's silly that people are still talking about it even when it was confirmed that it was not true.
    Spin it whatever way you want. You and I both know the author will never admit to it for fear of repercussions.

As for botting, if anyone doubts it's a bannable offense, I have a pm from remiem confirming it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Suentous PO View Post
    Why not a program to detect repetitive player input, specifically in locked maps?
    This.
    Competing with bots is possible but very stressful in the long run.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faliziaga For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts

I think the players who were tricked into selling paras and eyes would disagree. And impersonating a dev is most certainly against the TOS.

There's a reason the guilty player won't fess up to doing it.
    Can't believe your comparing botting to a fake announcement... Maybe you should take everything you read with a pinch of salt rather than believing everything you see.

The 'impersonator' did us a favour by getting rid of a few para and eye gems before the new expansion hits imo

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ssneakykills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Thr are some apps in android play store which record touch and repeat as much time u want or infinite. Is that bot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xZauiflele View Post
    Thr are some apps in android play store which record touch and repeat as much time u want or infinite. Is that bot?
    That sir..IS a bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Coug:2399510

Spin it whatever way you want. You and I both know the author will never admit to it for fear of repercussions.

As for botting, if anyone doubts it's a bannable offense, I have a pm from remiem confirming it.
    So lets say the writer of the fake announcement did it go hurt people who sold it. How does that justify your need to derail another forum user's thread to talk about it? If you want to talk about that topic, you have more than 10 posts, go make your own thread.

As for botting. We never doubted it is wasn't a bannable offense. We are questioning why some botters, whose stats are Extremely obvious, aren't banned.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Schnitzel For This Useful Post:

mesalin

What you should do if you catch close friend botting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quick, short, and sweet:

Does the very recent release of new elite AP's and their pretty quick completion of certain LB players not arouse suspicion on botting, which is apparently against the rules but unenforced? Especially when some of them may or may not have been caught botting in the past? Im certain investigations would be fruitful. It's simply not fair for people to take advantage of technology to surpass everyone, and with no action being taken about it. Especially when its very apparent to a majority of the community who weren't born yesterday.

As an average player who has invested time and money in the game, i'd appreciate investigations to be done and actions to be taken about this issue.

Just food for thought.. thanks for reading..........

-Concerned Player
    Finally, someone talks about this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Quick, short, and sweet:

Does the very recent release of new elite AP's and their pretty quick completion of certain LB players not arouse suspicion on botting, which is apparently against the rules but unenforced? Especially when some of them may or may not have been caught botting in the past? Im certain investigations would be fruitful. It's simply not fair for people to take advantage of technology to surpass everyone, and with no action being taken about it. Especially when its very apparent to a majority of the community who weren't born yesterday.

As an average player who has invested time and money in the game, i'd appreciate investigations to be done and actions to be taken about this issue.

Just food for thought.. thanks for reading..........

-Concerned Player
    Yes, of course not all fast people on LB are botting but some are for sure... not only AP but also PVE kills pretty much...

So doing anything against those bots to make competition fair would be nice
    We need party-option for raid! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

This wouldn't work well. Sometimes I legit play for hours, I'd be pissed if the put constraints on a real farmer. Also this naturally happens as the players inv fills, you are not allowed to make a new map, nor run much until you have a relatively empty inv.
    That might work.. but only if system detects player input pretty detailed since normal players doing that over and over again are having some repetitive input too
    We need party-option for raid! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

The point is to force the bots to log out and stop running. You, since you're a real player, can stop for 15min and go back anytime. The bot had to be relaunched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

The point is to force the bots to log out and stop running. You, since you're a real player, can stop for 15min and go back anytime. The bot had to be relaunched.
    This wouldn't stop botting. Go onto Reddit and look for AMAs on botters. I spent the last hour poring over threads. The level of sophistication is eyeopening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stricker20000 View Post
    That might work.. but only if system detects player input pretty detailed since normal players doing that over and over again are having some repetitive input too
    Agreed, but with variable factors like hit/miss/dodge/crit/lag a player is having to react and not look like a bot which has the EXACT reaction regardless of those variables.
    Also, that was the reason I specified locked maps, to eliminate a lot of searching.
    The players will be able to see and report if it weren't locked.

If I'm playing with ppl the world over with different lag most of who probably didn't join at the exact time, this is what I think would happen;
    Farm- player 1 reached his limit
    10 min latter- player 2
    20 min- player 3
    15- 4th
    Then I get logged out.

My rebuttal is, good players shouldn't be shackled because the amatures, when there are alternatives possible

Also i don't doubt Edward above me
    Last edited by Suentous PO; 02-18-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Agreed, but with variable factors like hit/miss/dodge/crit/lag a player is having to react and not look like a bot which has the EXACT reaction regardless of those variables.
    Also, that was the reason I specified locked maps, to eliminate a lot of searching.
    The players will be able to see and report if it weren't locked.

If I'm playing with ppl the world over with different lag most of who probably didn't join at the exact time, this is what I think would happen;
    Farm- player 1 reached his limit
    10 min latter- player 2
    20 min- player 3
    15- 4th
    Then I get logged out.

My rebuttal is, good players shouldn't be shackled because the amatures, when there are alternatives possible

Also i don't doubt Edward above me
    The sad truth is that we are...

I started thinking about it... Maybe StS should do some searches about the bots and try to find a way to spot them or to stop them. The thing is, if they put time in bots, are they going to clean up many bots? Bots isn't a very major problem in game... except the fact that some of them are owning the LB and it's hard to prove at 100% that they are botting. If you talk about LoL or Runescape.. the botting was real... it was everywhere, bob the bot was absolutely everywhere. They took actions against bots and they are getting banned. In Al, very few of them are botting. Keep in mind that Al is supported by Android, Apple and Chrome. the keys are all different, so imagine the irrational bans that might happen. Just have a look at the all the bans that happened in past few weeks. Tons of bans for simple errors. Maybe they were right, and maybe they were wrong. Saying a website name got their account locked for life.... and all that might happen for the few 100 "suspected of botting" players.

The problem is there and it's nasty, but maybe not that major compared the bigger problems StS already has.