Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: I have a question about fire and ice mage skills!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

Heal in elite maps is a skill that will negatively impact the entire party. A mage doesn't have enough armor to survive the aggro you'll experience. Tbh I'd use curse before I used heal and that's not saying much. Also not using clock on a pve specific build is just silly, there's no other skill that can control and dmg more mobs at the same time.
    CO-GM <THE COLLECTIVE>

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gorecaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gorecaster View Post
    Heal in elite maps is a skill that will negatively impact the entire party. A mage doesn't have enough armor to survive the aggro you'll experience. Tbh I'd use curse before I used heal and that's not saying much. Also not using clock on a pve specific build is just silly, there's no other skill that can control and dmg more mobs at the same time.
    It does affect entire party negatively IF the mage does die, but not every mage dies using heal... and if map is too hard for going without shield nothing keeps you from using shield instead
    We need party-option for raid! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

I've been playing as a mage nearly 3.5 years now.... And I can surely say that heal is completely useless in pve ( unless mobs use some unbelievably strong DoT that can't be healed by potions , then regrowth comes in handy ) , nearly every single players who goes to elites , has atleast 400-2k potions with him , mana and HP making mage heal pointless . Also using heal means you need to sacrifice one attack skill , less damage deal ( special from mage , that has to control mobs and not let them escape root/freeze/stun ) = mobs alive for more = higher chance of team mates dying = more potions used = more gold lost , so using heal impacts every person in your team ...for pure pve i suggest using : Shield 4/5 , fireball 5/5 , ice 4/5 , clock 5/5 and light 3/5 ( swap clock with lightning when you reach boss )

Ign : Derp - endgame main / Gouiwaa : will be a twink once twinking is back / Derpynuts : lvl1 , my troll account

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gouiwaa9000 View Post
    I've been playing as a mage nearly 3.5 years now.... And I can surely say that heal is completely useless in pve ( unless mobs use some unbelievably strong DoT that can't be healed by potions , then regrowth comes in handy ) , nearly every single players who goes to elites , has atleast 400-2k potions with him , mana and HP making mage heal pointless . Also using heal means you need to sacrifice one attack skill , less damage deal ( special from mage , that has to control mobs and not let them escape root/freeze/stun ) = mobs alive for more = higher chance of team mates dying = more potions used = more gold lost , so using heal impacts every person in your team ...for pure pve i suggest using : Shield 4/5 , fireball 5/5 , ice 4/5 , clock 5/5 and light 3/5 ( swap clock with lightning when you reach boss )
    Well, yes mage needs to control mobs and also keep rogue alive... for full party it might make no difference but when it comes to duo and you e.g. want that rogue daggers proc a lot then get aggro, control mobs, stay alive and yes even heal can help if mage using it is not nab... if you use gun and not staff it might make more difference losing a damage skill but if u lose the dmg skill by using shield or by using heal rly doesn't make a difference as long as you stay alive...

shield doesn't help party in any way unless you can't stay alive but however..

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Better to shield and head safely into the crowd to freeze/clock/stuns than healing imho..tbh im only using shield in garetta elite lately, better go 4 active skills in other elites if ur able to stay alive.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Poor guy. No one even answered his question. So i will if you freeze an enemy fireball wont stun it just dots if you have the upgrade and aoe dmg of course. If you fb then ice ice takes over. I hope this helps you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to creeepycreeepy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by creeepycreeepy View Post
    Poor guy. No one even answered his question. So i will if you freeze an enemy fireball wont stun it just dots if you have the upgrade and aoe dmg of course. If you fb then ice ice takes over. I hope this helps you.
    correct but if mobs are frozen and you use fireball and then freeze effect goes away while fireball stun time still runs that stun time will be there (if i remember right)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stricker20000 View Post
    correct but if mobs are frozen and you use fireball and then freeze effect goes away while fireball stun time still runs that stun time will be there (if i remember right)
    Negative sir try it on an elite in solo pt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

It's simple math:
    Heal: no damage, 15 sec cool down

Ice and light: approx 1200 (depends on Mage gear) damage with 3 sec cool down

I can deal 4,800+ damage using either skill while a Mage uses heal once.

If you run with heal you will slow the party down. I see mages using heal and shield in tomb runs as well (km3 and wt4) My suggestion would be if you have to run with both, and heal especially, that you spend a bit more time mastering the Mage class, the maps, and the mob attack patterns.

IGN:
    Drizzitty
    Cryformana
    IGN:

Rogue: Drizzitty
    Mage: Cryformana

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otahaanak For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    I'm glad you've turned to the dark non healing side.

It's difficult to find mages who once used heal admitting they find using heal in a crime so heinous even Jarls betrayal sounds like a tea party!
    True. The ones that oppose using heal has definitely used heal many times in PvE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Sts really should rename "lifegiver" to "taunt". I don't want to tell you how to play but any experienced mage will tell you the same thing, not to run lifegiver in a PvE build.

Sts please finish fixing the skill mechanisms

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sky_is_epicgear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

hello, I play very pve, good .. I think you should use the skills that you see that is doing better and doing better times, no deaths, or almost> <, all depends on your map and who is playing with you, each playing in a different way, you can put the points only in the necessary, and changing the skills you realize which build identifies more because each has its own technique, good is so good pve: D

Enviado de meu XT1058 usando Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Iove For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Veenihiv View Post
    True. The ones that oppose using heal has definitely used heal many times in PvE
    LOL, For the record I have never used heal except for pvp, and didn't use shield until the Nordr elites just hammered me with deaths xD

IGN:
    Drizzitty
    Cryformana
    IGN:

Rogue: Drizzitty
    Mage: Cryformana

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

When you use heal in an elite map and heal,sharing mob aggro with you, it is nott only because of us dealing out more damage in mobs, yes mages deal more damage in mobs when they are speced right but they also charge their skills hence aggroing mobs. Charged skills have perks like stuns and blinds which attract mob aggro.
    yea u have fire ice and clock anyways no matter if heal or shield lol
    Most of the times when you do charge heal you will tend to run with shield and two attack skills. Nott having ice or fire will mean less crowd control, mobs have 20-30 mean nott even perfectly distributed stuns and freezes are disabling all mobs(6 mob rule) and nott having snare and DoT from clock significantly slows down runs. Slow runs means more red zones, means more chances of one hits.
    Never talked about uing heal and shield same time

All that being said I'm glad there has finally been a thread about mage heal in PvE in GD, tired of repeating myself in sorcerer class discussion. I was expecting one after the new Arcane staff release, another reason for heal mages to heal.
    well..ok, rage moar pls

Lightning when targeted on a target which is under the effects of a mob under the debuffs from AS can be devastating.
    5% heal mages, shouldn't be fazed when rogues leave their parties to go run with their rogue friends, after all they are saving pots for their friends!

I can feel the forums legendary retired mages turning in their grave each time someone says "lightning doesn't make much of a difference".
    If you mean Arcane Staff saying AS... it doesn't even debuff and ofc lightning gives you some extra damage. however i wasn't even talking about skill loadout without heal or arcane shield and I am talking about team play and not full party with 4 ppl playing solo.
    And proccing staff being an important thing for damage now is a fact, I didn't invent that ( I do not mean desecrate). Anyways there are more than one different playstyles and important thing is that the run works fine, so generalizing something and saying heal=noob can be wrong. In many cases it is probably right but just accept that there are others too

And btw doing elite rengol or wilds is not more comfortable for "rogue only" team. just as a side note

Edit: maybe you meant aimed shot armor debuff but anyways rest stays the same and new dagger proc debuff makes it way faster so its still about playstyle
    Last edited by stricker20000; 02-23-2016 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otahaanak View Post
    LOL, For the record I have never used heal except for pvp, and didn't use shield until the Nordr elites just hammered me with deaths xD

IGN:
    Drizzitty
    Cryformana
    And record is something else..you need to fight for every single second there. Normal comfortable elite runs for longer farming is another thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

Since when are sorcs concerned w taunting? Lowest hp and armor of all the classes, last thing I want is aggro. The best pros don't even use shield. Learn when to pot, it should be an integral part of your skill rotation. Anticipate when the dmg is coming. This isn't pvp. Learn to counter incoming dmg w pots, don't rely on charging a skill to survive. It will make you a better player.
    CO-GM <THE COLLECTIVE>

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorecaster For This Useful Post:

Are you a stalker? Awesomeness: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

this!
    I'm glad you've turned to the dark non healing side.

It's difficult to find mages who once used heal admitting they find using heal in a crime so heinous even Jarls betrayal sounds like a tea party!

Warmonicaaaaaa come I save ur pots in normal maps!
    What I mean is, I can tolerate and nott nag on a heal-mage in a normal map. But nott in elite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

4/5 ice allows you to freeze mobs with charrged ice at 20% chance when there are less then 3 mobs, else you can only chain freeze with 3+ mobs...

The heal is better for teamplay is not at all true.
    When you are talking about *sharing the aggro* one commonly forgets: Rogues dodge 40-60% of incoming attacks, including most redzones, a good warrior can live elite rengol mobs pretty much forever without pots, and a 5.4k mage with 1.4k armor will get 2 shot in elite rengol no shield. Clearly, the other classes can do without your heal.

Healing your rogues/tanks mana is worthless because: You will often find a rogue will immediately fill up on mana when below 50% mana,(same with wars) and almost every elite player uses pots to keep 100% health at all times, making your heal often times be a waste.

I tried a solo runs to do a comparison:

solo run in elite wilds I went with blinky, went 4 attack skills and got a 7 minute time (no deaths)
    solo run in elite wilds I went with blinky, went with 3 attack skills and shield and got 10 minute time (no deaths)
    solo run in elite wilds, I went with blinky, went with 3 attack skills and heal and got a 12 minute time (1 death, happened when I was charging heal when mobs weren't under clock)

I will admit I am most used to 4 attack skills in all elites

Caabatric. The one nub sorcerer you wont forget.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caabatric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Lol.. This thread was started to know whether ice and fire skill cancel itself.....
    Now it has become a Debate on Heal skill :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gorecaster View Post
    Since when are sorcs concerned w taunting? Lowest hp and armor of all the classes, last thing I want is aggro. The best pros don't even use shield. Learn when to pot, it should be an integral part of your skill rotation. Anticipate when the dmg is coming. This isn't pvp. Learn to counter incoming dmg w pots, don't rely on charging a skill to survive. It will make you a better player.
    If elite is hard and you try to duo or solo with mage you can't be that pro so you cna play without shield...it's about team, map and playstyle with team